Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• theflushtheflush Posts: 100
    This is a common problem from what I have read. The MAF sensor is on the air intake box and can easily be removed by disconnecting the wire harness and removing 2 phillips head screws. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the 2 tiny wires inside the sensor and then reinstall. This is not the only cause of the P0171 code, but is a common one and costs almost nothing as a first attempt at fixing. If the sensor is bad and must be replaced, I think the part is under $100 at most auto parts stores and is easy DIY.

The misfire code could be completely unrelated to the MAF. Check you spark plugs for fouling and make sure all wires are secure.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I am betting that it is a wheel bearing. Do you have any irregular tire wear?
  • alex24alex24 Posts: 54
    The wheel bearings are fine, and no irregular tire wear,I feel the vibration only when going between 60 to 70 MPR, and then there are some days of driving I do not feel this vibration, The Toyota Mechanic said it may be poor qulity tires I may have on the car.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    imidazol97, bottgers, user777
    There is no question that the dealer wanted and tried hard to take me to the cleaners. Also, this was my first visit to this dealer svce. dept. with a 2004 car. They didn't know where the car had been serviced, and attempted to scare me into letting them perform expensive work on it.

I was assertive, firm but polite in asking to perform the work under warranty only. I was painfully aware that the car was in their hands and was worried that they were going to do something to screw me for refusing to let them double dip. As it turned out, the right side of my bumper had a pretty big scratch, which I didn't see when the car was brought to me.

The service adviser explained that the charcoal canister and VSV part regulate the fuel intake and cheap gas may have caused the parts to fail. Which it means that the injectors, lines and the tank needed to be clean, the guy said. He said all this after hinting that I may have neglected the car somehow.

I wrote a letter to Toyota as soon as I received their questioner. I don't expect anything to come of it though.
    Toyota is huge and why should it pay any attention to me?

Overall, I'm satisfied with my Corolla after 2 years. Other than this problem, the car has been reliable and continues to be frugal on gas. Two complaints: The driver seat is not very comfortable and the gas and brake pedals seem too close to each other. I don't know whether the Corolla is the best car around, but it's a very good value.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, my prime suspect is tires that are out of round. These days, this is a much more common problem than balance - any idiot with the right equipment can balance it properly the first time, but all it takes is for the tire/wheel assembly to be off by as little as 2mm, and you're going to feel it. One of the classic symptoms is that it will "come and go" - depends on how the tires sat overnight, and where the high and low spots are on each tire.

This is a sensitive chassis. It needs four quality balanced and round and straight tires to run without the shakes. There are no shortcuts.
  • acarlsacarls Posts: 1
    hi i'm also experiencing a hard starting problem specifically in the morning when the car is parked all night and in the evening in time for me to go home from work. i've had the electrical system checked (except for the alternator) they said there's no problem, i've had my carburetor cleaned and some parts were replaced such as the pump jet and some jets inside the carb, still the problem persists, any suggestions? i badly need one. thanks.
  • ducexcrewducexcrew Posts: 4
    Bought a used '95 Toyota Corolla with about 100000 miles on it, ran perfect for a couple months and now it has about 110000 miles.

With no particular cause that I can think of, three days ago the car started violently shaking when it was in any of the drive modes, or reverse, when I was fully stopped. It now has rough acceleration from a full stop (Or near stop, car just shakes a LOT when under 10-15mph). Ride is as usual when about 20+mph.

Sometimes I'll be driving, and it won't be shaking, and I'll come to a full stop. The car won't shake, and then I hear a noise that I can only relate to a mechanical switching over of some kind, and the car resumes shaking. So the problem is sort of intermittent, but I'd say it does it 95% of the time when under 15mph.

Two questions:
    1) What the heck is wrong? (I'm assuming it's the transmission, but does that mean it's dying? And how long 'tll then do you suppose?)
    2) I am going on a trip tomorrow of about 450 miles non-stop (Only a gas stop). Suppose it's safe to take my car?
    motor will shake if you have low compression in one or more cylinders, Do a compression check, if one or more is out of range, its most likely a valve leaking, the pistons and rings should not go bad, If possible you need a valve ajustment job, my 1993 toyota 4 cyl. motor shakes at idle and on some exceleration, I had low compression in number 3 cyl. I had to pull the head off and take to machine shop, A valve in number 3 was bad, gave it a complete valve job, reinstalled the head and now runs great.
  • ducexcrewducexcrew Posts: 4
    Would that be a horribly urgent problem? Or could I proceed on my trip tomorrow with no hesitation?

(Assuming that is the problem, I understand that it may very well not be)
  • gmt1993gmt1993 Posts: 2
    I have 1991 Corolla, it has a problem with the 5th shift Gear. When I put it, it comes out after a while.
    What is the possible problem and Soln. Please :cry:
    It sounds like a bad synchronizer ring, which means that you need fairly major transmission work. It could range from $500 - $1000, but at least you don't have an automatic - they are more expensive.

How many miles?
    I had a same problem with a ford pickup, and all it was , was a small spring that broke that held a small metal ball in a groove that kept the shifter stick from slipping out of gear, right at where the shifter stick goes into the transmission. did not have to remove the trans to fix it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,021
    Bad synchronizers/worn shifter hub most likely. Needs to be taken apart and those worn pieces replaced I think. If you get a LOT of noise out of the transmission as you drive, especially as you let off the gas, you might also have badly worn bearings causing so much slop in the gears that they cannot remain meshed. THAT condition would probably require an entire new gearbox.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• toyotairltoyotairl Posts: 1
    I'm having some steering problems with my Toyota Terra ('98, % door liftback). Since buying it, when I take a tight right turn, there is a rubbing sound and now it has developed into a poor steerinf response when driving at higher speeds and an occasional, though slight, wavering without control....aaarrggh :)

I am concerned, though I have heard that quite often it is a problem with the bushings on these cars.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

Graham.
  • gmt1993gmt1993 Posts: 2
    Dear friends,

It is just 140,000 miles. Also it has no noise in the gear box. And the rest of the gears are functioning so well..
    I am still betting on a bad synchronizer ring. How much of the 140,000 is highway miles? Still, 140,000 is not too bad, but things can go wrong, even on a Toyota.
    If you're going to take the gearbox apart, you might as well do a small parts overhaul on it, since it would be a shame to bust it all down and then put old small parts back in.

• Thank you very much. The steering doesn't shake even at 70mph+. :)
  • Can anyone suggest me about the tires and wheels I should use for Toyota Corolla 2000 for optimum performance? Right now I have Pirelli tires. Also, what should be the tire pressure? Thank you.
    Might I suggest that you look into our popular Tires, Tires, Tires topic?

Shifty the Host

Tire pressure is either on a label in the glove box, or on the sticker inside the driver's door. My 99 says 30lbs front and rear.
  • Thank you guys for your information.
  • It has been slow lately. It's so refressing that there are few significant problems posted on this board.
    I used to own subaru and was active on subaru boards (non-Edmunds though). There was excitement daily: blown headgaskets, torque binds, O2 sensors failures, failed trannies, etc, etc. Toyota is indeed boring :-)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,251
    > Toyota is indeed boring

Oh... I don't think it's that perfect a world.

tomc14, "2007 Toyota Camry Woes" #519, 25 Jun 2006 9:24 pm

is providing enough Toyota problems along with the snap-ring discussion topic which is read only to keep everyone occupied.
  • c2cp,

You might want to have your serpentine belt tensioner/pulley inspected. These symptoms are very characteristic of what I experienced with my 2001 toyota corolla at 45k miles. I found the assembly on the web for about $127.00 and had a buddy put it on for me.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can check it by removing the serp. belt. If there is any looseness in the round pulley, your hydraulic dampener is leaking or the tension spring feels weak, you will need to replace it. Caution!!!! Before removing the belt, take a picture of it in its original configuration. I did not have a belt routing diagram in the engine compartment as most cars do. Maybe they forgot to put the sticker at the assembly plant. Would have been a nightmare if I had not photographed it with my digital camera.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem!

Good luck
  • My wife's 2000 corolla after it sits outside in the heat has a rough idle at start up. It only seems to happen after sitting in the heat. Also when she puts the vehicle in gear there is no acceleration and she has to pump the gas to get the car to move. After a few minutes the car is fine and the idle and acceleration returns to normal. The dealership diagnosed it as a throttle body problem and cleaned and lubricated the throttle body. This didn't solve the problem. Any ideas???
  • bridges13bridges13 Posts: 1
    1993 Corolla. When the key is turned on all lights and everything works, but when I turn the key all the way there is no crank. It's like the starter doesn't exist. I removed the starter and had it checked and it passed. I examined the fusable link and it was fine. Do you think it could be the ignition?
    Sounds like a possible case of your shifter not being all the way in park, that would stop the starter from cranking, try holding the shifter up in park while turning the key,can also be poor wire conections to starter, or battery , can also jump the starter to see if it works
  • Great, thanks to you I wasted so many hrs reading (just kidding).

What a nightmare for camry owners! I was buying new car this year but stayed away from camry because they are so ugly, the new one even more.

I just got a 2006 RAV4 that is also new for this year with a new engine (269HP 3.5 V6), but the older 5-speed AT design.

I keep my fingers crossed.