Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bnewellbnewell Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 29,000 km. I've only had it for 6 weeks. After I've been driving for 1/2 hour and the car is warm it begins to make a whistling noise coming from the area of the front right tire. It does it when idling and when stopped, changing gears from Park to Drive and back. It almost sounds like the noise when using the washer fluid, a hummm...

Thanks.
  • Is anyone having a problem with their trunk lid? Mine doesn't stay open and has hit me several times in the head. Tonight, I had forgotten about this and now I have a big welt that will be a bruise. When I have contacted the dealer, I'm told that the lid doesn't stay open by itself and I need to raise it completely (I'm only 5' and it's impossible for me to do that). I've called Toyota Corporate and I think they think I'm goofy. Any ideas what to do? Thank you in advance for any advice that is given.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    (I'm only 5' and it's impossible for me to do that)

Don't be silly, my wife is 5' and she can do it with ease.
  • edmlfc1edmlfc1 Posts: 1
    This is the same question I have. What good is a Valet Key if everything opens? I don't even have a lock on my glove box. Owners manual dosen't give any clue. Searched the internet, still no answers. Not that I use the Valet often. Just thought it would be nice if I had to use it.

lfc
  • beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    Mine works. I just do the 1/4 left turn thing and away she goes. Gotta leave the grey key with the dude, ya know.
  • I just bought a 05 Corolla LE with 5 spd. Based on the EPA estimated MPG I was expecting to get somewhere in the low 40 mpg range. My daily commute is 65 miles down a relatively flat highway. My tires are inflated to their recommended psi. I'm still in my "break-in" stage where I'm not using the cruise and heater running on low. I'm getting about 32 mpg.

Here are my questions:
    1 - I've never owned a "brand new" car before, as the engine breaks in, should I expect to get better mileage?
    2 - Beernut mentioned synthetic oil might help improve mpg, why is this?
    3 - Also, I'm a little concerned that when I'm driving about 72 mph the RPM's are at 3000. In my 97 Altima with automatic transmission and overdrive, the rpms were at about 2600 @ 75 mph. Should I be concerned or are my RPM's normal?
    Your mileage will improve after the engine "loosens up", otherwise known as "breaks in". Its a little stiff when it comes out of the box and runs with less effort after the internal parts seat to each other. You should expect better mileage after break-in but probably not the kind of numbers you're looking for.

The syn oil will also improve your numbers for the same reason as it is more slippery, but again, minimally.

As discussed earlier, the stickered MPG is under perfect/laboratory conditions and you are not driving like that. 65 miles round trip to work means you probably have 50 or less of actual highway and the rest is "mixed", or "city". You may also be driving too damned fast. The best mileage speed is known by Toyota and is probably in the 50 to 60 MPH area. Remember the 55 MPH national speed limit? That's what that was for - fuel conservation.

The RPM difference between your Altima and the Corrola is due to the size/HP of the engines. The power curve characteristics are different and the trans is geared differently to accomodate that, thus the difference in the RPM at a given speed. I assume your Overdrive is working. Check it by cruising at a constant speed over say 50 and clicking it on and off. When off, the RPM's should jump up and when on, they should drop. 3000 at 72 doesn't sound out of line to me. I think my automatic does around 2500 at 60 or so. The smaller HP and torque that the Corrola produces requires higher RPM's to keep in the power band.
  • Beernut - thanks for the in-depth response. Of the 5 cars I've owned before the '05 Corolla, I always got at least what "stickered" MPG read or better - one of those cars was a 5 speed Sentra with a similar 1.8 liter engine. And at age 29, I probably drive more conservatively then ever before.

Until I started researching this more I never would have guess I would get less then the stickered MPG, oh well - live and learn!
    I never expect to get sticker. I always like to try to get it at least once during my ownership of a car, but after doing it I feel better for a moment and then return to my old fuel-wasting driving habits.

I drag-raced an Audi with my mini-van on the way to work this morning. For what? He yielded to the sheer horror of a green, drag-racing mini-van and I walked away from him. Big deal, huh? Another quart down the drain.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    My '99 5 speed manual at 70mph is about 3,000 RPM. This is pretty low for small cars in this class. Honda Civics are above 3,000 at 70mph.

I have never got EPA of 38 mpg (mine is a 1999). But, I got 37.6 mpg when going down a two lane road at about 50-60 mph. Keep in mind that even wind speed and direction is a factor. For a new car not broken in yet, yours is fine.
  • checked my mileage today - got 31.3 MPG (all city driving) - I have a 2001 LE with 4-speed automatic - my sticker stated I'd get 30 MPG city and 39 MPG highway, I've had my car almost 4 years and I have gotten 30 mpg or better probably 95% of the time, just a few times I got 28 or 29 mpg - once I even got 34 mpg - very happy with my choice!
    Just for fun....., my neighbor's little bitty cute wife drives an Excursion. She gets 9.
    I assume your Overdrive is working. Check it by cruising at a constant speed over say 50 and clicking it on and off.

Random621 has a 5-speed, so no overdrive button. Smile
    Oops. Your reference to the Altima confused me. I confuse easily.
  • Update - my MPG is improving as the car gets more broken in. I'm a computer guy, don't know much about cars, so here is a question some of you might find amusing, but I really don't know.

Is it likely my driving habit of going running the car at 3000 rpm for 95% of my 1 hour commute is going to cause me more problems then if I were running at 2700 rpm?

I'm guessing this question is like the computer question I get at least once a month - is it better to shut my computer off at night or leave it on? Which causes more wear and tear. I always respond "hard to say" or "either is ok".
    Driving at 3000 RPM versus 2700 RPM will increase wear on your car, but in my opinion not enough to notice. Either is well within the normal operating range. If you are worried about wear then make sure to drive gently for the first couple of minutes after start and change the fluids according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
    In my usual manner of making blanket statements with no supportive evidence, I'd say cruising at 3000RPM will make the engine work harder than at 2700, thus wear more - trans, too. MPG suffers at the faster cruise too - a little goodie that airplane designers call "parasite drag". It goes up exponentially with speed. I know I can run 12 or so miles at a 9 minute pace but pushing along at faster than an 8 minute pace tears me up at around 6 or 7 miles.
  • don15don15 Posts: 2
    I have a Corolla LE 4spd auto, according to the specifications, Highway =17.8KM/L and City 12.8KM/L. I do 70% Highway 30%Ciy, I should get at least 14KM/L, I get only 9KM/L. I have done about 1000KM and as usual the dealer is not helpful after selling the car. I like to get any statistics even from the US folks, any Canadians with a similar problem????. I use regular gas, they said it was perfectly alright when I inquired. Any thoughts on this are highly appreciated.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    I hope you haven't inadvertently turned off the overdrive, locking the automatic in third gear. This may sound too obvious, but it has already happened to one person I know complaining of poor fuel consumption....
  • don15don15 Posts: 2
    No, I haven't turned off the o/d..... I have written to Toyota Canada about this and they still haven’t responded. I guess after you buy you are on your own.!!!! no matter what