Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• commish1commish1 Posts: 30
    Do the 05 Carollas have any problems? I have an 05 Camry SE V6 that is probably the worst car I have ever driven. The hesitation problem is ridiculous! Thanks for the help.
  • a_younga_young Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what size socket I need to remove the axle nut from my 93 Corolla?
  • toy5toy5 Posts: 1
    Hi,

Here is my question, how do I tighten my emergency brake for a Toyota Corolla 1996?

Yesterday I took my car in to Les Schwab to have all 4 tire changed. After, I took the car for a spin and parked it. As usual, I lifted the E brakes and noticed how far it came up. I had it tightened more than three weeks ago and as I recalled, it only clicked three times when I parked at Les Schwab.
  • I also have a '91 Corolla that does not start consistently. Have you found a solution to the problem yet? Sometimes mine starts right up, other times it just keeps turning over but never starts. Then 30 minutes later I'll come back to it and it will start right up. Even trying to roll start it doesn't work sometimes. Does that happend with yours?
  • john_djohn_d Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having same trouble but dealership can't figure it out since the noise is intermittent. If at all possible, can you tell me specifically which backing plate was not fitting right so I can pass this along to dealer? Or, could you say which dealer you went to so I can ask them for specifics. Thanks!
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    I have a burned out motor on my 02 Corolla's front passenger side door. Dealer asked $400 to replace it. I can live with a non-functioning window at that price since this is my commuter car. But if I get a motor from a junkyard, how hard is it to do it myself? Any instructions or tips anyone would like to share?
  • espumosoespumoso Posts: 5
    Oxygen sensors are about 150.00 and are very very easy to replace. Your mechanic is taking you to the cleaners unless he's replacing them all. But, if he knows it is a sensor, then he knows which one it is.

The main sensor is located (at least on the 90's models) in the front center of the exhaust manifold. You just open the hood and look down between the radiator and the engine and you'll see what looks like a big bolt with wires attached to it, screwed into the exhaust manifold. To replace it, you just disconnect the wires. Unscrew the old one, carefully insert the new one, and reattach the wires.

Unfortunately there are two or three oxygen sensors on the car, so it would be best to find out which one it is before beginning.
  • My 90 Corolla has been acting funny for a couple weeks now. It started after a 3 hour drive to my best friends house and it began being sluggish and it didnt seem like it was getting any gas, maybe clogged. When the car has been for awhile and i start it up it kind of has little jumps and then when I press the gas it seems like its not getting gas. It drives so slow and kinda sputters, on occasion its sounded like a backfire while driving, but once I get up to 50mph it evens itself out. It also seems to even itself out after driving 15 or 20 minutes. If its been driven awhile and then parks only 2 hour its fine when I start it again, but if its 5 hours that its been parked it does it again. I got new spark plugs, fuel filter, added fuel injection cleaner, and had the fuel injection service cleaner thing done at jiffy lube. When the fuel filter was changed there was no fuel in it and the guy said that was probably the problem. Since the fuel injection treatment (blows out stuff from tail pipe) its not been quite as bad as it was, but it still acts up 90 percent of the time. I hope this is enough information for someone to PLS help me. I'm thinking of changing the fuel pump next but I don't wanna put more money(i really dont have) into it if its not gonna solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I took it to the mechanic, he test drove it but the car was running fine at that time and he said to leave it overnight so he can test drive it in the morning when its more likely to be acting up again. But I really don't have an opportunity to it with my busy schedule. PLS HELP! Thanks ;) :cry:
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Given the symptoms, I guess I'm amazed that no one has thought to check the fuel pump. Having done everything else, it seems like the obvious place to start.

If the pump is good and producing the right pressure, it does sound as if a fuel line is plugged somewhere along the line.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    As the previous answer, the fuel pump would be my first guess, but also have them check the fuel filter before the fuel pump. Either would cause problems as you've described.

Ken
  • I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla with power mirrors. The problem is that when I first start driving, the mirror will lower slightly. Then once I continue driving, the mirror will lower more. What can I do to fix this problem. I would like a response/opinion as soon as possible. Thank You.
    Sounds like the mirror motor is worn or broken. Make some calls to your dealer as well as some other local reputable repair shops for quotes and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • tomj1tomj1 Posts: 1
    Have a 1993 Toyota Corolla DX with 195,000 miles.
    Problem is a perpetual oil leak: 1) on passenger side (back side of transmission oil pan) and, 2) on driver side front of oil pan.
    I have had the following work done: -upper/lower oil pan seals/gaskets, transmission pan gasket, crank and cam seals, valve cover gasket and distributor seal. After all this work, it still leaks in those 2 same places. Is tthere another point of origin that old Corollas could be leaking that a mechanic may have over looked???? Thanks
  • Thank you for responding Ken. :) As I mentioned, I have had the fuel filter changed out already as I thought that it was the problem, but it wasn't. The fuel pump is next on the list, I just don't wanna put alot of money into something if its not the actual problem. Someone told me that it might be the cadillac converters(not sure of spelling) do you thik that thats possible? I appreciate your opinion on this matter, Thanks.
    Could be a catilatic converter, but first guess if they've already replaced the fuel filter is the fuel pump. Either way, I'd have it checked by another shop to get a "second opinion". Actually with the "backfire" it's normally something to do with fuel and gasses building up in the engine. So a problem with the Cat is not out of the question at all. If it is, you should ask the service manager to check with Toyota to see if they may be willing to help you out with the repair costs. Even if they cover just the part cost or just the labor cost, it would help. It certainly won't hurt to ask though.

Good luck on the diagnosis, and please keep us informed of what it turns out to be.

Ken
  • I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla with power windows. The is that when I push the button for the window to go down, it'll slightly go down. As I drive on more it'll only drop down in small increments. What can I do to fix this problem. I would like a response/opinion as soon as possible. Thank you.
  • priusprius Posts: 6
    Did anyone reply to your posting? I have a 2000 Corolla, and the samething is happening to me.
    Sounds like the power window motor is worn out. If it's still in warranty or if you have a service program it should be covered. If not, get some quotes, including some from shops that may have access to rebuilt units or units from a junkyard.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • aj2aj2 Posts: 12
    hi, it was the left front backing plate on my car, they replaced the plate, it has since been quiet now....
  • Please Help! How do I remove dried stuff from the rear lights on my 2004 Toyota Corolla CE without scratching them? I also have tar like stuff on my trunk that I am unable to remove. If anyone has any answers, please let me know. Thank You!