Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 780
    Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what I'll do. The wife put her $.02 in--she hates the Vette and wants me to get an M3. So, I guess there's no need for the memory package because I'll be the only one driving it!

I'm in AZ, so these cars are pretty hot. I may just wait for the 05 roadster.
  • motorheadmotorhead Posts: 8
    Hey guys, I got to drive my new 1991 corvette yesterday and boy is it fun to drive. One problem, it has an auto air condition and the fan blows good except when you accerlate any amount at all. When you are crusing along about 55 it blows air good but when you accerlate just alittle the fan slow down and nearly quits.HELP PLEASE.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    It is either the slave cylinder or the master cylinder (or both) that is failing. My vote would be for the slave cylinder. If you can observe the actuator rod operation on the slave cylinder when the clutch pedal is being depressed, and fluid is being expelled, then the slave cylinder has failed and needs replacing. If no fluid leakage at the slave cylinder, then do the same check on the clutch master cylinder.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    Electrical problems are soooo much fun (more like a scavenger hunt)! Start with a voltage measurement at the blower motor. Most likely, you are going to see a voltage drop (which is what you have described in your original post). Duh, nothing earth-shattering here.... Now for the scavenger hunt part: You need to find the source of the voltage drop. After confirming a voltage drop, the first place I would start is at the alternator. If voltage drop occurs at the alternator, then you are looking at a new (or rebuilt) alternator. If the alternator checks out, then start working back from the a/c blower motor. You will need a factory wiring diagram to do the diagnostic trace.

If you had a C5, you might be able to avoid a significant amount of misery by doing a diagnostic scan with a TECH2 scanner; unfortunately, that is not the circumstance, so old-fashioned trouble-shooting is the rule.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,531
    I think it is the clutch master from the symptoms you describe and not the slave. Also, these systems aren't all that easy to bleed properly. I would suggest, if it isn't too much of a hassle, removing the hydraulic lines from the clutch master and inserting plugs into the master. Then bleed the master using the plugs as bleeder nipples. Then re-connect the lines and bleed the slave.

Given the year of the car and if you have never flushed the clutch fluid, you might have a corroded bore in either master or slave, which is hanging the clutch pedal. Also the early C5s got off to a shakey start, and mechanical glitches here and there weren't uncommon.

I think your clutch is okay.

• vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 780
    Guys:

Thanks again for the advice. I decided to hold off on the 2003 Z06. I'm looking for a new one or an 05 Vette instead (also considering 05 GTO--I know, no comparison but I could use the 2 extra seats).
    Hey guys all that was wrong with my car was a vacuum line was off. Thanks for all so the help.
  • I will check those things, It could be the master cylinder because the pedal would stick and if I try to pull it it would return back....like if it was "stuck"....i check the spring and it is good....so i will try that and maybe bleed it again....

Thanks for all the input!!!!!
    When I bought this 1991 vette the guy I bought it from had changed the radio because the bose speakers had gone bad. I have a bose radio that is very good condition, how can I sell it and what do you think it is worth?
  • I've been looking for a 2000-2002 convertible. I prefer the 6 speed but I find the majority of those I come across are automatic transmissions. My questions are 1)are there any problems with ATs in this model year range 2)are there any reoccurring problems with any of these model years, and 3)What is a reasonable price range?

I appreciate any help/comments. Thanks.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    I've got a C5 2002 coupe for which the car cost $45k back in 2001. Two price increases later, then add $2000 more in options than mine had and my wife's '04 coupe came out at $39k. Add $7k for a vert. Problem is that until you know how much in options it's hard to know what the bottom and top of that range of current value is. Maximum options, remembering that some exclude others, I think went about $7k or maybe $8k, the wife's had $6k in options.
       So, where I and many other '02 owners would like to think that our cars were supposed to decline no more than about $5k (or less) per year and so be worth $30k to $35k right now, ones with no options are probably worth less than that. Fully optioned coupes might be in the middle of that range, and that's what many are asking. Key to buying used is to learn the options and their value and know what you are looking at. Go for low miles and since about 30% of coupes and verts were 6 speed keep looking for one. Sports Car with auto is an oxymoron IMO. (That is unless you drive the I405 for 2 hours each way daily)

Expand your search to the web, there are lots of gems out there and people don't do much to market in today's world, be patient.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Today is a mixed message day. Big storm on Tuesday nite, and the 300M was in the driveway since the new Vette is now in her garage space. Car cover not received yet for the 300. Result: major hail damage to the 300, so I am really unhappy about that, but, no damage to the new Vette makes it a mixed feelings day. About $1,100.00 damage on the 300 if PDR can do the repair job, if not maybe more. Bummer.
    Sorry about the damage, once had a new car sand storm damage about 3 weeks into ownership, ugly feelings! Keeping the new one safe was good. We on the left coast tend to forget just how good we have it the vast majority of the time, year round.
    Yeah, all you guys have to worry about is the San Andreas fault and beach front property suddenly appearing in Arizona. lol I was in Monterey and SF for 2 different quakes, and it is a scarry feeling in one of them. Guess no area is a perfect place to live--except maybe San Diego, and they have marginal pro-sports team as their curse.
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    I live in st. louis. we are known for our rapid and drastic weather changes (and excellent sports teams). In particular hail is always a concern. I don't plan on an experiment, but has anyone seen how a vette stands up to a nasty hail storm? Perhaps some one has been to a chevy dealer and seen a vette next to a Tahoe or other rig. My local dealer usually has about 30 vettes in stock, so moving them under cover is not an option. Seems like the fiberglass would bend but not break. Windshields are another story.
    The guy at the body shop said to me when I told him the 300M was on the driveway because the Vette was in the garage: "Good thing the Vette was not in the driveway." Then he rolled his eyes and I could swear I saw dollar signs rolling up his eyeballs like on a slot machine. I took that to mean it would have been an expensive event and not a cheap fix. He did not elaborate.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,531
    Hmmm...I'm not sure how fiberglass reacts to hailstones...obviously it won't dent like metal...any speculations on that?

• gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    Gonzo size hail will splinter/crack fiberglass and will put holes even in laminated glass. I don't think nominal size stones which will dent metal will do much of anything to fiberglass although I think Vettes are now made of some composite material. That material won't "dent" either but I suspect a nominal hail would split the paint.
  • stevettestevette Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 convertible. I like to do minor maintenance (brakes, oil changes etc..)myself. My question is with the undercarriage so low to the ground, what/ how do the other do it yourselfers access underneath the car? What type of floor jack and/or ramps do you use?
    Thanks
  • gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    My floor jack fits but just barely. Others who have lowered their Vettes drive up on a 2X4 or 2X6 or 2X anything to get the jack underneath.
    My jack is a Penske. Bought at K-Mart on special for like $30+(???) including jack stands. I just use it for changing brake pads so cannot confirm whether it has enough lift to get underneath to change oil.
    My new 04 baby needed some exercise and breathing room, so I took her down I-65 to the Corvette Museum. Just a nice 75 mile cruise, and I reluctantly kept it under 75 all the way. Early Sunday mornings with a clear blue sky is just a great time to let it go with no traffic and few big trucks. Did a little shopping in the museum gift shop, and went thru the museum again for a little while, then it was time to haul back up I-65. Averaged a little over 28 mpg on the trip. Later I was finally able to get the wife to try driving it. Her only comment was that without the HUD she wouldn't have realized how fast she was going. lol Like 70 in a 55 before I reined her in. At least now she won't feel uncomfortable if she has to drive it. She got a nice Corvette logoed golf shirt out of the deal. Happy 35th Anniversary dear, now give me back the keys.
    Thanks for the uplifting message. Too bad it didn't go as well for the Corvette team this weekend at Infineon, although all that about things that end well and all. The lack of real crowds at the track on Saturday was a big plus and I did get some pic's but don't know how to post and the Yahoo photo sharing isn't working right now, but hopefully I can fix later. Seeing the race on Sunday on TV with the telemetry and getting a flavor for how fast those cars go into the corners is astounding, although I was surprised that turn 11 was just about the same as for my street car, guess hair pins are like that. Turn 10 which some were slowing to 130mph takes me down to right around 80mph, scary corner.
       The Vette Corral on Saturday had in excess of 150 cars and probably many more on Sunday, great turnout.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Posts: 59
    What wax or polish to use on my triple black vette. I use Meguiar's show car glaze on my daily driver which is also black, but want the best shine on my corvette. Any advice on Zaino, Zymol or Griot's Garage products vs. the Meguiar's products?
    Try the posts from 944 to 950, some opinions!

Here's waving at Ya!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    Have you tried Meguiar's NXT? Can be found in most auto parts stores as we as Target and Wally World.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Posts: 59
    starrow68

Thanks for the reference; I should have done a search before I asked.
    Now I have to decide if I keep my '01 or grab a deal on an '04 (and in the process take a bath with 3,500 miles on it). I have an automatic and really want 6spd and HUD, bad! Do you think the "pre-driven" vets will regain fair value after the 2004 firesale is done?
    Sorry, but I really don't know, but some thoughts. I expect the C6 to sell well so no deep discounts for a couple years, which means 90% of them will be going for close to $50k and a little up from that. Only 10% in the past have gone with base no option units, but may be different, a little higher, first year. So, what gets someone to spend $50k or more to the C5 point not spend $50k? I'm guessing close to $10k will do the trick so figure C5's start at $40k with options which is what they are going for right now. Say 10% annual depreciation and I think the few year old models might hold current values for a couple years since I think you might do better than that today. There is a glut on the market right now I think that will taper off some which will also firm up the pricing some. All just conjecture and things usually have ways of doing the unexpected.
        With only 3500 miles hard to get value out of the car. How to decide what 6sp and HUD is worth, only you can judge. But, I think in the future there will be more 6sp cars on the market since it won't be an extra cost option on the C6, it will be interesting to see how that works out.
  • Anyone know of any reoccurring problems with C5 transmissions? I really haven't been able to find much specific information on transmissions on the internet. Just researching for future purchase.
    On the C5 trans, auto or six speed? Most who drag the auto do some mods but for the track the 6sp seems to be just fine.

This article is not on the Vette but makes nice mention of it, so FWIW:
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosconsumer/0407/28/g03-224855.htm

Enjoying driving the C5 for daily driver the C4 should go away this weekend
  • r22549r22549 Posts: 42
    I was considering buying an 04 Vette...When I check the NHTSA site I can't find any crash tests..Do they test them..?...Thanx for any help here...