Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,480
    WOW! This seemingly is getting pretty real for you. While I am sure the dealership in which you are planning to deal with knows Vettes, take extra care in looking at the undercarriage. My sense is that at 3.5 in clearance, it is probably one of the lower to more probably lowest of the 5 previous ones you have had. I am looking forward on this thread to hearing the 411 on your experiences!
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    And the amazing thing is that there are owners out there that lower their car even further from the standard setting. What I have found is that the skids on the front undercarriage get the most damage (unless you go over parking lot speed bumps - in which case, the frame gets whacked.... I have installed the following wheels:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=5- 13

The wheels are very handy - more so if you have bad (dippy) roads.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    You are right about the Corvette Family being special. I started from scratch myself and I've picked up tons from the web, local club, and friends/co-workers that I didn't really know until we found out that both of us owned Vettes. Local clubs come in all different flavors so it helps to look around. I like to track my car and our local club didn't seem to have anyone interested. Now a year later six of the locals have been out on track and a couple of the old hands who used to do it are getting the bug to go out again since there are some newby's to lend a hand to. There are then many who like to shine and show on weekends, those who like to tour, both local and national, and always a few who go to the drags and autocross.
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    just bought a 2001 c-5 convertible with 4000 miles on it. The car was owned by an old guy and never has been in the rain. I considered the impending c-6, but how fast do you need to go, and it's just not a vette with out pop-up lights. This same car in c-6 form would probably be very close to 60 K. My wife says it is a mid life thing, but I'd have to live to be over a hundred for that to be true... another gray-beard has joined the ranks. Already bought the cags setup and I'll slip that on at the 1st oil change, no use getting under that rascal twice. Anyway... I'm considering an add on XM radio (have it on our Denali and love it), anybody explored this yet? They say the antenae can be installed on the dash and the head unit in place of the ashtray. Former vettes; 74 L88, 85 4+3 speed, and 2 c-4's. This is the 1st c-5 and the 1st rag top. I'll not lose any sleep with the new c-6 hitting the ground!
    Interested to hear what real world values are getting to in round numbers if you wish to share. Was it fully optioned, HUD and which suspension? That was a real find with very low miles, hard to figure how someone could only put on just over 1k miles per year. That said, I see the same in CA as well and never cease to wonder, I have trouble keeping it down to 10k per year. The Corvette is not what I consider a car with a long option list but the options can add up to about $7k to base sticker which is always a surprise. That's why I wonder about general price guides like in Vettemag.com but it does help on older cars. Oh, what color and top, just remember is picture is worth ...
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    very lightly optioned. Group 1. No HUD or select ride. Does have the 1200 wheel up grade, mats and cd changer...and the 6 speed. I guess money dictates the amount of miles you put on. If you got lots of it, you probably have several other rides to divide up the miles. (I guess if you have a LOT of money, you're not driving a 2001 vette)I have an old 98 Park Ave that will still see most of the miles. I'm a teacher so its only on the road 9 months anyway. With the nasty weather here in St. Louis, winter provides a good reason to put it away for a while. I still don't know what I really paid for it. They wanted 37,000. I gave them my 04 G-35 and 5k. numbers can say anything you want them to say. I quote it one way to my skeptical wife, and another to my friends. Had it not been for the impending C-6, it would be a justified investment. At night, with the top down on a country twisty, any amount of money seems irrelevant... therapy for the soul. I just ran out the tank of 87 octane the dealer provided and have filled it with 93 Mobil @ $1.89... I'm expecting better performance this time around, although, it ran great on the 87. Something to keep in mind should gas approach 2.00 again.
    My option list was about 4500. I had HUD on my old SSEi. It was neat but could be forgotten. I'd like to see heated seats, garage door opener, XM radio, on star ...all stuff on my wife's Denali. Maybe one of those stratolounger chairs that lifts old people out of the seat would be nice too. Black over silver/black interior.
  • ultraman19ultraman19 Posts: 24
    The two'04 Z06-Z16's are on the ground with plastic on the seats--I have my choice of either one AND I have offer to pay $45,479(Kerbecks price). The dealer will accept or reject by noon tomorrow. Logic says he will take it, but he's a gunslinger and he might counter -- if not I will jump at the deal.

Comments?

Thanks,
       Ultraman19
    Welcome back to the fold! :)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Do you know if the C5 can take mudflaps? Are they out there as a GM accessory? I have always put them on my new cars and I wondered if they can go on an 04 Coupe?
  • Great thread. Used the BMW 3 series one 2 years ago to help decide on taking European delivery.

Now ready to trade up to the Vette and need help. I got a price on an '04 convertible in torch Red with no options from a local dealer. MSRP $51,535, Net price of $46,535.

From earlier postings I've seen discounts of up to $10K and wonder if I'm not getting the best price possible. With the 2005 coming shortly, I think this would be my best opportunity.
    Last is first, just about to pick up a Mil. Yellow Coupe with $51.5 MSRP and after $3k GM rebates and $1k GM card discount we get it for $39.4k. Now that is ordered to spec from the dealer that sold me my first vette 3 years ago and gets him another C6 allocation which is what he is really interested in at this point. Torch Red seems more common and I'm betting that the deal can be improved on the net with some effort at corvetteforum.com or corvetteactioncenter.com but saving on sale price and then paying travel or shipping charges may not appeal to many. Good luck.
    Yes, it's hard to really value a deal like that, all in the eye of the beholder so I agree with just enjoying the ride. As to the computer dealing with the lower octane, yes it is amazing what they can do, but since I'm paying from $2.50 to $2.79 for premium in CA I don't think saving $.20 a gallon will get me into lower octane. I do plan to keep the car. And as noted here I use my '02 mostly for fun and going to the track while driving a '95 for daily commute, having extra wheels seems a way of life here in CA. My wife and I, two incomes, got our third vehicle back in the early 80's when we needed backup for cars in the shop so no one got held up from going to work or picking up the kid, etc. Now it's just for fun and about to add another. Enjoy the vette.

As to: "Had it not been for the impending C-6, it would be a justified investment."
       I think the pricing is so far down for the C5 right now that they can be a 'reasonable' investment when compared to what was paid just a couple years ago. I think they will hold current value for some period until the C6 starts to get discounted. MSRP was common at local dealers for '02's and depreciation was probably close to $4k or maybe $5k per year for at least several years. But when there are $10k discounts in pricing for new ones the cost starts so much lower that the per year decline falls by a big factor and tightens up the spread between yearly values.
    Since it seems you are within $1500 of their asking I don't think for that nice a ride I would do a lot of quibbling. Paying more and maybe getting something inreturn like a couple a free oil changes or even discount on parts would seem a good solution. Some dealers just know either you or someone else will pay so they hold out, remember that low interest rates work both ways, it's costing them very little to hold inventory at this point.
  • pepe11pepe11 Posts: 41
    I'm new to the corvette forum but have heard that there are great deals to be had for '04 vettes. Just reading this page, I see mention of $10k discounts off of msrp. A few questions: Is that $10k or so off only on a fully loaded z16 or is it possible to get close to that on a coupe? Are the discounts heavier dependent on location? I'm in the NY/NJ area. Thanks for the help. It seems like a great time to get a great car. I'm hoping...
    They advertise #1 Corvette dealer in the country and from their site they have a huge inventory which I'm betting they are motivated to sell. If it's something they have a lot of it should be a pretty good deal. They don't seem to publish discounts like some on the web but others are talking $12k off with loyalty discounts and all the incentives available. Don't know if you get a better deal going direct:
    http://www.kerbeck.com/2004_corvette/2004_corvette.htm
       Or you might get a better deal going through one of the web sites mentioned above that are corvette specific. Good luck.

BTW, that deal above is on a Coupe, almost fully optioned but still just a coupe.
  • Thanks. I'll try those two sites and see what I come up with.
  • ultraman19ultraman19 Posts: 24
    Took deliver of My new Z06-Z16 Comm.Ed. today.
      My local dealer matched Kerbecks price and saved me the $1350 to have the car shipped to my door.

Dealer list price: $57,485 I paid: $45,479

Too late to be concerned but will these deep discounts be reflected in an artificial depreciation? I don't see how because many people are not getting close to that kind of discount.

Thank you everyone for the advice and guidance.
     Ultraman19
    Congradulations! Please keep the 411 flowing on your experiences!
    They had one local here and I went to look 3 times but couldn't justify replacing the Electron Blue coupe that was less than 3 years old and the local dealer here never would deal. Also I'm getting used to stock power at the tracks and it's plenty for someone who needs a lot more seat time than more power. Enjoy the ride and as noted, keep us informed on how much you are smiling! Save the wave!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 154
    Yes you can install mud flaps on a Corvette. Most vendors (Ecklers)sell them. I believe you can get them in the same color as your Corvette.