Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Well I'm not a Corvette expert but I have driven the various models. For "bang for the buck" you can't beat a C4 since this would cost you 1/2 of a C5...but the C5 is certainly a more advanced and more competent car and still under your $15K budget. The later C4s didn't ride as hard. I guess it depends on what taste you have in looks and how fast you want to go!

On the C3s, as time went on they got worse and worse, unlike all the other Corvette generations which got better and better.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,357
    I have no personal experience with the C4s, but I know they were considered pretty good in their time. I did a little research on them and found the following major changes during their years of production:

1) In 1989 the dreaded 4+3 transmission was replaced with a true 6-speed.
    2) In 1992 the engine was bumped from 245 to 300 hp.

There were, of course, other changes over the years but those are the ones I would consider deal changers, especially the first one since I have heard nothing good about that 4+3 transmission (which involved having a separate overdrive that operated on gears 2 through 4, usually at the wrong time.)

The C5 debuted in 1997 and ran with only incremental improvements through 2004, so you may indeed find some good deals there. In any case, good hunting.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    Hope you decide to go with the C5 over the C4, I got my '02 and after trying to
    keep mileage low driving my prior daily driver, I just couldn't face the old car
    any longer. So to keep miles low I got a '95 with very low miles and drove it
    for 10k over the following year, too hard to get in and out of compared to the
    C5, too hard in the ride and it was stock suspension vs. the Z51 performance
    suspension on my C5. Just all around not up to the C5 in any way.
    As for the Vette coupe, it has a removable top, not T tops and I've never had
    any issues on the '02, 118k miles or on my wife's '04, only 40k miles. Hope
    you keep us posted if you find your solution.
  • ChasboyChasboy Posts: 186
    Thank you guys. I have decided to get a C5. I've driven a C6 and a C5 Z06 and I just want to drive a few more so I pick the right one.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    hello...
    i just got my first corvette last year at age 48....

love it. Monster car and best value for performance. Mine is a 2004 Z-06, with bored out 7.4 liter engine, new Fast intakes, twin turbos.....
    mild to wild ...wahoo !!!!!!
    :shades:
    Good Luck! I have a deposit on an '02 Z06...box stock. Can't wait to get it. :)
  • copiecopie Posts: 1
    mybe u can help me i am looking for a vette 03 to 04 which has the best engines with and auto i am looking at a vette right now and 03 with 90000 miles on it an auto convertible for 17.5 she said i had to get my own car fax and also said it was an one owner pls tell me what u think do not want to spend no more then 22500
    copie, that does not seem like a good deal at all. :mad: I wouldn't buy any car with that kind of miles. Decide what you want, a driver, garage queen or project. 90k spells project to me. :lemon: Have you searched on Ebay, Cars.com, autotrader and http://www.thevettenet.com/listing_by_category.php?category=C5 ?
    Join a local club. I am getting mine from a club member, which allows me to trust what I'm buying. I'm getting a 2002 Z06 six speed with 16k miles for a little more than your budget. It drives better than a brand new one.
    BE VERY CAREFUL. I responded to an ad that (I'm in NJ) that seemed to be in Long Island and it turned out to be in Iowa!!! She wanted me to buy the car unseen and then I could return it if I didn't like it!! Also watch out for Texas Direct Auto.

USE THE INTERNET! its great for research. From what I have learned, you could get an 03-4 but it will have 50k miles which is reasonable. Go a bit older and you will be right in there. Converts are usually higher priced.
    The most powerful engine is the LS6 in the Z, with 405 hp. That started in 01 or 02.
    too much money. If very clean, it's worth $15,000 tops and miles are troubling. As wonderful cars as they are, Corvettes suffer on resale value once the clock turns 100K and often the interiors do not endure.

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I agree that is too much money.

For $22,500 you should be able to get into 2005 year, with rather low miles. Maybe even 2006 with higher miles.

2005's are good cars, they just have a couple 'first year' of a new design problems. The manuals will kill a battery, but there is a re-flash of the computer logic that supposed to fix it. On some motors, I think the early ones, the crank bolt did not hold. I believe this might even be a recall. If you could get to the 2006 year, the automatic is a 6-speed, verse a 4 speed previous. (Nothing really wrong with the A4.) By 2006 the new design problems are fixed.

Keep saving your money for a while longer, and get to the 2008. There is a jump of 30hp, and changes to the steering 'fell' that is significant.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    I would encourage you to join the local Corvette club and ask around. There
    are lots of low miles Vettes. Of the two we have in the garage, mine has 119k
    on an '02 and my wife's is at 40k on an '04, which would you want? On the
    other hand at some point I will unload mine, recently told by the local dealer
    that takes consignments it was worth $12k. Factor up 2-3k per year and an
    '05 gets to the upper teens. While they hold up amazingly well, and mine's
    been beat on hard, a show car that only sees weekend duty and longer trips
    with little or no local stop and go is the way to go and you find those at clubs.
    Good luck and enjoy, the last 10 years in a Vette have been lots of fun.
  • c2c35c2c35 Posts: 37
    Question for anyone who could help me out. My headlight open control module (ocm) went! unfortunately I don't have time or the 200 bucks to order from GM cause i need to get my 93" inspected asap! Stupid thing just burned out too! I have been told that I cld use the module out of a Firebird/Trans Am. Please let me know if this is true just so I can pass inspection then order a new one. nickle dime time!!! lol!
    Well the part #s are different and the Camaro/Firebird one costs more, so I dunno about that information.....dubious. Best thing I could suggest, if you are looking at one out of a wrecker, is to match them up side by side and read the part #s. I wouldn't go plugging a "mystery module" into my electrical system.

If you personally know the person suggesting this, and they actually did it on their '93 Corvette, well then okay...otherwise, grab the fire extinguisher if you try it.

No way! I just got my vette back from some serious mouse damage! It was just sugested to me about the mod's. I'm hoping that i found 1 out of a 92' vette.

Thanks
    92-93 show the same part # in my database.

edited September 2011
    To anyone out there. I am looking for someone who is or who has a corvette yrs 88' thru 96' that is being parting out. The part I am looking for is the Headlight Open Control Module. the part # is 16523917. If so please contact me.

Chris
    Did you google this number???????

I find a new one for $178.

I find a new one on ebay for $120.

Google is your friend.

If you are looking for used, visit your friendly salvage. He has access to salvage parts all over the US thru a computer system.
    Well I found one online from a company named Vette 2 Vette.com. It's a re-manufactured one with shipping brand new for approx 139.00. Same part # it just doesn't have the GM stamp on it. Shipped out of Illiniois. The new ones on E-bay and every other site were asking like 180 and above and the used part just by looking at the picture eeesshh! They looked really hurting! Still asking 70 plus bucks.

Thanks for the input!!
    Chris
    edited September 2011
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A reporter is looking to interview someone who lives in California and who bought a Chevy car (not truck) in the past year. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, October 17, 2011 if you care to share your story. Please include your phone number, the make/model you drove before and the type of Chevy you bought.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,550
    On a 1984 Vet with the 350 engine, does it have a timing chain or belt? What is the change interval?

Thanks in advance.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

Definitely a chain, and you never have to change it unless it starts making a racket or unless your ignition timing constantly goes erratic when you try to set it. Your timing chain will never break, but if it wears and goes slack, it can jump time on the cam sprocket. It's not a difficult repair to change a timing chain on a 350. These are very simple engines.

• My drivers seat is moving a click or two when I take off hard or brake hard and corner hard! I have it set on the same settings on entering or exiting so it hasn't been moved much as I am the only driver!
    Quite a few people in other Corvette forums comment about 'loose' or 'rocking' seats. It's a somewhat common failure. I would expect it will not be cheap to fix, the rail system needs to be replaced.
    If you go to corvetteforum.com and search there are a couple of extensive threads on this repair, and it doesn't cost more than $30.
    What can you repair on a seat for $30? That a half hour labor charge, at the very best.
  • Thanks! bolivar, I called Chevrolet service and told them that they might have a problem with their drivers seat! They took my info and said that they would look into this and wanted me to take it to a Dealer and have them look at it and gave me a claim number! Said if it was a valid issue they might fix it and address the problem on their Corvette seats!
  • Though we didn't make the finals, we had fun producing a couple of entries, using my oldest Corvette (black '54) and my newest (2012 Centennial ZR1). The spots can be viewed here:

IT TAKES A CHEVY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCXTz2tVCc

START SOMETHING SPECIAL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRG3BI8EHcQ&feature=related
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    These are great! Not sure if you've seen it, but we also have another forum where these might feel at home:

Car Commercials - The good, the bad, and the annoying!

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles">link title

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.