Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• printzprintz Posts: 70
    Should be getting my Vette sometime in March.......Any suggestions on a good indoor cover that's real easy to take ON & OFF....Just concerned about keeping airborn particles off.......

Thanks for any suggestions....
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    i think it takes a bunch of engine on/off cycles to clear the gas cap code...
    my GTO gas cap failed as many do, and was replaced under warranty. GM later sent a letter saying that the gas cap warranty has been extended to 100k miles for all GTOs.
    in my case there was no pressure seal, but also no OBD dashboard warning - i drove it like that for months. mpg seemed lower.
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2008/01/09/news/news4.txt

Discusses current sales downturn and production. Also mentions future economy

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/04/autos/corvette_not_leaving/?postversion=20080107- 14

This is about the future economy issue, I like the line about Corvette MPG being
    better than smaller sports cars. Gotta love torque and that tall 6th gear.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    It's a great combination but the driver has to be sober about the tall gearing. If he lugs even a torquey V8 at an extremely low RPM, the engine wear is going to be considerable. Lugging is one of the worst things you can do to an engine, bar none. This is why some automakers won't even let you GO into overdrive until the engine is warmed up. (automatic transmission cars).

What a concept--- a hypermiler in a Corvette! :cry:

• chuckvchuckv Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have an 89 Convertible that I'll probably put up for sale in the spring. I'm trying to establish a sale price but in doing a little research I'm seeing pricing for comparable Vettes that are just all over the place. Can anyone advise a good resource to assist in ascertaining a realistic fair market value ?

My Vette is real cherry with only a little over 17,000 miles and has seen no bad weather driving. Photos here: 89 Vette Photos

Thanks,
    Chuck
  • 02 Z06, daily driver,19000 miles with a new battery. Every once in a while when I turn the key it acts like the battery is dead or the clutch isn't on the floor. It starts after several tries but yesterday it took about 20 tries. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer because he'll keep it a week, charge a fortune and find nothing wrong. Any hints? Thanks, Joe.
    You could temporarily bypass the clutch switch and see if the problem goes away. Also, check your battery terminals for corrosion or looseness; also inspect your wiring at the starter solenoid for looseness or corrosion; otherwise, I'd suspect your ignition key is just worn out at this high mileage.

• cnwcnw Posts: 105
    Huh? I tracked with you until "worn out at this high mileage." Since when is 19,000 high mileage?
    Oh, LOL! I read it as "119000".

Well would you throw rocks at me if I said "worn out as per a GM ignition switch?" (the C5s used to jam a lot IIRC)

But seriously, the advice still applies regardless of mileage. Good luck tracking this down.

Whew!! I thought you were trying to tell us something. Thanks for the clarification.
    Clark
    No worries--a C5 is not a Ferrari. 19K miles is nothin'.

• Thanks for the responses, I'm using the other key and keeping my fingers crossed! I'm also hoping to get another 19000 miles out of the old boy!
    Thanks again,
    Joe
    Thank goodness none of the 'Vettes are Ferraris. Tempermental and costly to maintain. And they sell it as personality and status. Give me raw, brute torque and horsepower. Besides, there are distinct advantages to American production cars when economies are in turmoil. Clark
  • I have a '74 Corvette Stingray and am looking around for a local corvette club in the Washington State area, preferrable Seattle and north. Can anyone help.
    yeah but Ferraris sound great. Nothin' like it Of course, it costs about $1 a mile to drive one. :P

• jsouthjsouth Posts: 13
    I work with a bunch of guys that have GT mustangs and Shelby Mustangs that say they can beat my 2007 C6 in a drag race. We are going to a local drag strip to see but the question I want to ask some of you guys is should I leave the traction control on or off . I have raced Motorcross for many years but haven`t drag raced very much so I need some input. Thanks
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,701
    Off.

But if you seriously want to win and to lessen the chance of equipment failure, you really need to practice and correctly. My guess is the bunch of guys you work with have done this more than once.

I personally would not do it unless I was ready for a minimum of a new clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing combo. (before you do this, you might want to peg a cost) Also you can easily fry a set of 1200-1500 dollar tires. So really a set of drag strip tire and rim combo is almost a must.
  • jsouthjsouth Posts: 13
    My car has an auto trans and i`m not going to push it too hard at least not hard enough to tear something up. This is just for fun so I hope not to do any damage. I just know that with the traction control off it is really hard to hook up. I`ll just have to practice alot. Thanks
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    Certainly agree on what the tire rules are. If you use stock street rubber, skill will be a factor off the line. Done properly, wear and tear shouldn't be excessive. I never ripped up anything when I raced, and always did full throttle power shifts with my heavier 65 Impalla SS 396CI 425HP. We even used sticky racing compound. Make a few trial runs both ways. If you can't master a hole shot, you may turn better times with TC on. Watch others to see how they come off the lights etc. Good luck.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Why don't you do this the simple way, and come back and tell us.

Have the car warmed up, put the tranny in Sport mode, don't touch the paddles, leave traction control turned on, and just stand on it when the light turns green.

I think you will eat their lunch.