Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• It's a good place to start but I think I'm closer than you are (of course, I hope you get your price, but....).

If you aren't even getting calls or offers, after say 2 weeks, then that does tell you something.

Also try www.craigslist.com

and there's also

www.corvettetrader.com

C4s are tough to sell and there's a lot of them out there. But you are in the "realistic realm" so yeah, it's probably the economy that's stalling your sale.
  • flozickflozick Posts: 4
    Joe, Thanks for giving me more feedback. I appreciate you saying my starting price might be in the "Realistic Realm" because I don't mind waiting 2 weeks. I agree with you that the economy is probably affecting the sale. Thanks again. Flo :)
  • flozickflozick Posts: 4
    Joe, I take your suggestion and try covette trader.com.
  • >> However, when I shut it down, I get this noise from under the hood. It is fairly loud and sounds like perhaps a fan hitting a shroud or some such, but only lasts a few seconds.

This thread is a number of months old so you may have solved this problem already.

The problem you mention is most likely the motor on one or both of the headlights. The gears are plastic and strip after a few years. I went through 2 or 3 motors in my 2001 coupe before I sold it. There was actually someone selling brass gears and instructions on how to replace them on eBay due to the high number of failures. The failure mode is exactly the symptom you describe.

I loved my Corvette when it worked but after 5 years it was just a hassle to keep running. I'd like to get another one but I need reliable transportation. Maybe the current C6 is better.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,270
    The problem you mention is most likely the motor on one or both of the headlights.

Thanks, kms34655, you are exactly right; in fact, I had stopped monitoring this site or I would have responded sooner. It took me a while to isolate the problem, because the car is parked in a garage, the headlights were set to come on automatically (which they did whenever I started the car), and the noise only happens when the lights go off and retract. Oddly enough, the mechanism still raises and lowers the lights. Anyway, thanks for nailing the problem down to the gears; at least I'll know what to tell the mechanic to do.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• My wipers will not park either. You are right about the relay inside the motor. There is an arm that the cam pushes against a contact in the relay to park. The contact is burnt so I need a new relay. Do you know where I can find one? I have checked several corvette parts catalogs with no luck.
  • I`ve got two butterflies inside my headlights ! How did they get there and how do I get them out ?
  • I just had my driver side headlight motor repaired under an extended warranty I purchased. I had previously bought 2 brass gear replacement kits @ $47.95 each plus shipping just in case of the inevitable failure of the original plastic gears. I had the same grinding noise for about 5 seconds after light door closing. My buddy has his own automotive repair shop and he fixed it. Mine needed a new motor @ $475 and also had to have seals replaced in the rear end. BTW--BE VERY CAREFUL when trying to open the motor to replace the plastic gear---it is VERY fragile :( :( Total cost for both repairs almost $900 less my $100 deductible--warranty's are great!! Vette's are great--just costly to repair.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    Hello:
    I just bought a 2004 Twin turbo Corvette C5. I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum had modified their vette...and what their experience and issues were ?

I have some small issues with noise from the tranny.

Some fuel system problems.

AC leak due to AC hose touching the hot exhaust.

ANyone else have these problems ?
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    I ran into lots of boosted Vette's at the track and mostly they had 'issues' at every
    track day. I had one power steering issue over about 4 sessions in my C5 and it
    was related to plumbing for an after market oil cooler. Other than that the C5 was
    a work horse over 5 years and well over 100 track days. Modified cars are best
    loved by those that enjoy the work on the car more than the driving. IMHO
  • can anyone tell me if there is a manufacturers car alarm on 1984 corvettes...i lost my door key and want to use a slim jim to try to open it...don't want to bother all the neighbors...
  • Yeah there is an alarm---I think it's just the blinking lights and horn variety. Once you open the car door, if you have all your tools ready, you should be able to disconnect the battery pretty quick (negative cable). The battery is behind the driver's side front wheel when you open the hood.
  • I have a 2005 corvette with 6900 mi. Haven't had any trouble with it until today. I opened up the hatchback door and it wouldn't stay up. Wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if it is a costly repair.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    There are two small hydrolic cylinders that hold the hatch up. You can easily see them on both sides of the hatch.

One or both of these are getting 'weak'. Cold weather also effects them, especially if you park outside and winter is coming.

These might be replaced with non-Chevy parts from a parts store. My guess is about $30 apeace. Who knows what Chevy wants for them. I would guess this is a $150 for both at Chevy.
  • I'm with bolivar. Take one of the old struts and try to match them up with anything that fits, and avoid $$$ Corvette parts prices. I ran Nissan struts on my Porsches for years. Not only 1/3rd the price, but they lasted longer :P

Easy on/off, just a bolt or two, but you might need a piece of lumbar to support the hatch while you work.
  • Wife and I just got our 2010 LT2 coupe, manual tranny, about a week ago. Huge fun to drive...and we enjoy just looking at it also. We added a Callaway short-throw shifter, which further enhanced the fun. Too bad we do not have no-speed-limit freeways here in the States, to really appreciate what these are capable of.
  • mbdmbd Posts: 12
    Does anyone know the changes from the '09 to the 2010? Anything added or updated (except new Torch Red color)? Thanks,
    mbd
  • "notable" chances include launch control standard (manual transmission models), Performance Traction Management on the ZR1, being able to order any Corvette in any color, and a cashmere interior package available on the Z06 and ZR1.
  • toydrivertoydriver Posts: 227
    Recently read about the recall planned for Jan. 2010; and that it was previously listed as a TSB, but apparently the fix before hasn't worked.?.
    I own a '07 coupe and haven't noticed anything wrong with the "stowable" top. Mine seems to be fine.

Curious if owners who have experienced the reported seperation problem, if there are symptoms that would warn the owner prior to a disaster while driving. The thought of having it seperate while driving at highway speed; and the associated liability gives me concern.

In other words, do they show signs of "partial" seperation, noises, leaks, etc. before complete seperation ????

Also, anyone have problems with the "see through" panels ????
    Thinking that might be a better way to go.

Will GM notify owners ????