Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    Is that a definite on the '04 hp? I know the Lancer Ralliart has the 2.4 (bumped to 162 hp) and the Sportback wagon (see NY Autoshow) will have the 2.4/160 standard but hadn't heard anything about Mitsu putting it in the Outlander.
    Sure would make sense, though. Any fuel economy ratings on the 2.4?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    With all due respect, I don't see why you think you are getting screwed. You stated you bought the car based simply on online info right? When you went to pick the car up, didn't you question the lack of white faced gauges? If it was such a big deal, why didn't you simply not sign the papers and refuse the car? I mean if it bothered you that much, don't get the car. You obviously liked the car enough to overlook it, but now you are letting it bother you because it seems you have encountered some buyer's remorse and are trying to find a way out of the car.
    The 04 Outlanders will definitely have the new 160 horse 2.4 liter engine. The 140 horse 2.4 is being replaced across the board with the introduction of the new Galant. This info has been confirmed by journalists reporting on the New York show and by a Mitsu dealer.

On a side note, I test drove an 03 Outlander XLS FWD today. I was very inpressed with the power. You would not expect a four cylinder strapped with an automatic and 3000 pounds to jump off the line so smoothly and quickly. It felt just as fast as a 170 horse V6 powered Hyundai Tiburon I test drove afterwards, at least to 4k. The engine is smooth as butter and so is the automatic. The engine is very quiet too and even has a sporty sounding exhaust note as you rev it to 4k. The sequential shift gate is a neat gimmick. Interior fit and finish was excellent and the white gauges and Infiniti clone clock were nice touches. The ride was firm and well controlled, but still plenty comfortable. Handling was pretty good for a tall vehicle. Front seats were very comfortable but rear seats were mounted too low for optimum comfort. I thought it was neat how the retractable cargo cover could be stored underneath the floor in the storage tray. The doors also had a nice solid expensive sounding thunk. The only downside I noticed was the somewhat squashed view out through the short windshield. Overall, I think Mitsubishi has designed a very nice SUV that deserves more attention than it gets. With 160 horses, this car will fly.
  • kiwicomkiwicom Posts: 5
    No, I am basically happy with the car. It is a cheap car and they have cut some corners but I can let that go. The problem I have is with the lack of integrity of the company. I was initially told that it was a mistake by the dealer. Other cars had been shipped with incorrect stuff. So I thought that it would get fixed up.....
    What do you think of someone who says one thing and does another....A LIAR right? It is the point of the issue - not so much the gauges but the lack of integrity
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,980
    is now live on the site. "The Outlander has wonderful highway manners and enough power to climb fairly steep grades without having to resort to the truck lane."

Long-Term Test: 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• joybelljoybell Posts: 275
    I am trying to decide. Did the Outlander first come out for the model year 2003. If so, that's not too good is it? Which one is safer? Is the Outlander made in Japan? I don't really need 4wd and I don't like the Forester's plastic body cladding, and it is more expensive than the Outlander, which is why I am considering a Mitsubishi. No ABS brakes though, right?
    The Outlander was new for 03, but so is the Forester. The Outlander's engine is the same engine as the Galant's, which has been around since 1994, so the drivetrain is a proven reliable design. Both the Outlander and Forester did extremely well in offset crash tests. In the US, the Outlander is available with ABS brakes, but not sure about Canada. The Outlander is built in Japan and is based off the Mitsubishi Lancer. I own an 02 Lancer, which was new for 02, and have enjoyed 23k completely trouble free miles. Owning a first year model is generally a nightmare when it comes to American made cars and some European models, but Japanese cars tend to get it right from the beginning so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Anyway, if it were me, I would take the Outlander. It's a more stylish looking SUV, sits higher, and is roomier.
  • tsxtsx Posts: 32
    I am currently working as a Sales Rep. for Mitsubishi. The '03 Outlander in the XLS trim came with 2 luxury packages.
    Package 1: One included the Heated Front Seats, Leather Seating Surfaces, Front Side Airbags.
    Package 2: Leather Seating Surfaces and Trim, Dual Front Side Air Bags, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature Display, Heated Front Seats along with the white faced guages.

BUT the 2nd luxury package was not available until after January 2003 because the production for XLS models with PKg.2 started after the Jan. '03!

If the White face that much of a deal for you, i suggest that you spend the $50-$80 and get a after market kit for your outlander.
  • tsxtsx Posts: 32
    It is confirmed directly from Mitsubishi that the '04 Model 2.4 I4 Engine will be using the new MIVEC technology which is the equivlent of Honda's VTEC or Toyota's VVT-i.

The New engine will be making atleast 160-162HP with 160+ Torque and much improved fuel economy. This will put the Outlander at the top of it's competitors.

We're hoping that Mitsubishi will use the 3.0 V6 with 200+HP for future Outlander Models or atleast come out with a RalliArt version of the truck.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    Good to hear that Mitsubishi is addressing the two major weaknesses of the Outlander....it's underpowered engine and less-than-spectacular fuel economy. The only other area where it's a bit lacking is cargo capacity as compared to the competition, but that would probably need a new rear suspension design to fix. It's a nice vehicle and definitely on our shopping list, though we probably won't be ready to buy for a year or two. Being as you have an "inside track" on Mitsubishi, would you have any idea if they are going to release their new Grandis sportvan/wagon here in Canada/USA? This vehicle would suit our needs even better than the Outlander, as it has seating for 6/7 (I like the six passenger Sport version the best). It uses the same engine that the Outlander is getting. I find the Odysseys/Siennas/Quests of this world too large and cumbersome......the Grandis is about the size of an MPV, only 2" narrower, and 4" lower, so it's a lot more sporty and less "van-like" (not to mention, more fuel efficient!)
    Check out the Mitsubishi Japanese site if you're unfamiliar with it. To picture it, cross a Vibe with the new Quest and you'd be pretty close...this vehicle splits the difference between the small sportwagons (Vibe, Matrix, Protege5) and the so-called "mini"vans (Sienna, Quest et al). There is a definite need for this vehicle for small families/empty nesters/ who want van-like utility/seating in a smaller, more user-friendly, more efficient and economical package. Priced between the Matrix (20 G's) and the Sienna (30 G's), it could be a hit.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    agreed. bring on the grandis. the toyota wish is another similar vehicle but instead we get the big bloated Sienna.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    We should be able to find better ways of expressing our frustrations on a family friendly site! :-)

tidester, host
  • tnel332tnel332 Posts: 23
    Heck, I was being as polite as possible....8)
    How on earth do these people expect to sell a car? I'll just go some place else.
    What have others paid, do you know?
    Thanks,
    tn
    What have others paid, do you know?

You've just asked them! Let's read what they have to say - c'mon gang, help out!

tidester, host
  • pcs15394pcs15394 Posts: 27
    tnel332/Tidester - I paid 19950 for a Pearl White Outlander XLS with Sun & Sound package at the end of April in Central Florida. This was only after the dealer had attempted to get me to pay that price for an LS model with an after market installed Sunroof and base model stereo(I refused). The next day Dealer called back and wanted to work out a Deal. It did help that it happened to be the next to last day of the month. Hope this is of some help.
    Thanks!

tidester, host

• pemleypemley Posts: 3
    I've seen this story all over the news and the internet. Everyone is using it as a way to show that small SUV's are not safe. All it really shows is vehicles are damaged more when stuck by a larger higher vehicle then a small light one and that side airbags prevent injuries. There is no mention as to how any cars have done with the new test standards. Just that small SUV's did worst then they did with the old standard crash barrier.

Until all types of vehicles are tested on this same test, it's conclusions are meaningless and any attempt to use them is just hype.

In my opinion anyhow.
    I think the media, in general, made it clear that the new tests did not yet include regular passenger vehicles. IMO, the results are far from meaningless. They verify what we have long suspected: being struck by a vehicle with a higher frontend is significantly more dangerous.

I further expect that when the same testing is done on regular passenger vehicles we'll see even more disturbing results.

These are the first tests that I am aware of that use realistic bumper/frontend heights to better reflect the growing population of larger vehicles on the highways.

tidester, host
  • pcs15394pcs15394 Posts: 27
    I happened to catch the side impact testing on NBC's Dateline on Tuesday Night. After seeing the results it made me wish I had sprung for the Luxury package that supposedly includes the side airbags... Then again it made me wish I didn't have to spend an extra grand to get side impact airbags!!!!
  • phi77phi77 Posts: 3
    Hi did anybody noticed that the Outlander pulls to the right? I had mine in service they did alignment and some tension spring in the steering wheel but the car still goes right the dealer is telling me that this is normal but how can car arch to the right and that to be normal driving. Does anybody have any ideas how to go about this?

p.s. normally my other car goes right or left when the road slopes a little but it goes in the straight line but this one does it even when the road slopes to the left and it does it in arches I can change lines every 50yards without touching steering wheel.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/04mitsu.htm

Hopefully the new engine is more efficient as well. It will definitely make the Outlander more of a contender.
    Great review of the more powerful 160 hp 2004 Outlander in the National Post. It's not posted on their website yet but I'll post the link when it is. Basically, it now has decent power, is quieter, and has lower emissions and better fuel economy to boot.

• rysterryster Posts: 529
    Does anyone have any information as to when the '04 models will be available in the United States? The Outlander is a very nice vehicle and I would prefer to wait for the larger engine than settle for an '03 model.

Thanks!
  • charley9charley9 Posts: 48
    I had asked the area Mitsu dealer about when we might expect the 04 Outlander and he mumbled something about Oct- Nov?.....Don't think he really knew. I'll bet they arrive with the Sportback....If anyone knows any specifics I too would like to hear them. I am getting ready to get something new and the 04 Outlander is high on my list. I have had two Mitsu products since the late 80's and they were essentially bulletproof. I'm really tempted to go there again......
  • tnel332tnel332 Posts: 23
    Well I got my fully loaded Outlander today. I went to two dealerships. One was a bit of aggrevation (see my deleted post...oh you can't..hahaha) and quoted me a price that came to 311.00 per month. I had AWD and the ABS package (sun roof) picked out but they would have to go get it at another dealer and they wanted a thousand up front. I went to another dealer who also didn't have my vehicle in stock but they would get it on a handshake. Well I saw the color I wanted but it was fully loaded..leather, lux package, etc. To get rid of a stock item they gave me the car for the same price as the first dealer....naturally I took it and ran...or drove.. Keep y'all posted
    ..well anyone who reads these...hahah
    Congrats on your new car! What color did you get and is it AWD? How do you like it so far? What was the price you paid before taxes?
  • Picked up an XLS a couple days ago. It was between that and a Dakota truck, which were going like a fire sale with the deals they were doing at Dodge. I figured I'd do the responsible thing though and go for the Outlander... More dependable, better gas mileage, less money, blah blah blah. Even got a great deal...

Huge mistake. It seemed fine for the test drive and the other times I sat in it. But, on my first long drive, I quickly became aware of the fact that I cannot be comfortable in this vehicle. I'm 6'2" without shoes. No matter what I do, it seems like my ankles are twisted. If I crank up the seat and tilt it back, my arms have to stick straight out to reach the wheel and my shoulders get sore, plus my head is so far up, I can't see lights well. The steering wheel also has to be all the way up, or it blocks the gauges, which makes the reach even worse. I've gone through many cars, and never made this much of a miscalculation. Can't really blame the car, it's actually fine otherwise. Funny thing is, I was most worried about the power, but that actually seems OK. I think the missing element is the ability for the seat bottom to tilt back, which my Explorer had. This allows the knees to be higher and the butt lower. I checked into custom seats and so on, but nothing looks promising yet. It's very hard changing stuff like that on cars now, what with all the airbag integration and everything. And I'm sure everyone can imagine the reaction of the dealership... "Sorry, wish we could help". So here I am in wonderful 'no cooling off period' California... The word SCREWED comes to mind. If there's any other pituitary cases out there with some ideas, it would be much appreciated.

"Too Tall" Dave
This discussion has been closed.