Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's new for the 2003 Tundra?

grazkgrazk Posts: 18
edited March 6 in Toyota
Anyone know anything about the 2003 Tundras? I read in Motor Trend magazine that there was supposed to be a significant update and an engine upgrade, but there was no additional info. Any ideas?

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,697
    a crew cab? That's a rumor I heard a while back. I also heard the V6 may grow to 3.8L.

Bob
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    They are showing a stepside version at all the car shows this year, I dont particularly like them though.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    They had the stepside at the chicago autoshow.

That color of the truck (nice blue) looked real good. very shiny
    I like the color and design, I just dont particularly like the rims and rear lights. I think they could have fixed that up a little better.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    making the stepside in a 4X4 version as well?
    at the NY auto show on Tuesday. The bed is indeed deeper than the current Tundra, and it appears to be just as wide between the the wheel houses.

I gotta say, I absolutely hate the gimmicky styling.

Bob
  • What's the scoop on when Toyota Tundra will be offered in a TRUE four-(4) door????
  • I believe there was a pic of the step side in one of these threads. Was blue and lowered, and I gotta agree that the gimmick styling was horrible. The tailights, as well as other pieces, looked like they were straight out of the Jetsons, very cartoonish. Can't necessary say the rest of the truck was to my liking but it was different, which is what auto shows thrive on.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    ...it should haul more than the regular tundra, due to the deeper cargo bed. Which by the way, to get that, looks like they slapped fender wells to the outside of the regular width bed, and widened the track, allowed room for the bed to drop down. Agree it sure is ugly, but probably more useful.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    I agree, plug ugly. I never have liked newer stepsides. The stepsides from the 50's are another matter - beautiful!

I like the fact that Toyota kept it full size by not compromising bed width. The tail lights are hideous!

If I was going to buy a stepside, I would spend $5-10K on a 50's model Chevy or Ford.
    is spot on; it's a great idea. Unfortunately every late-model stepside out there is nothing but a joke. The "step" is 1/3 the way up the rear fender, which makes it useless. GM, Ford, and now Toyota too, took a great idea, and screwed it up with their execution.

Bob
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    I have stepside on mine. Step right up on the rear tire. Works for me.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    because when you load/unload a boat on the ramp, it allows you to get from the truck's cabin to the bed without getting in the water. That's the only useful aspect of the stepside I can think of.
    it's just the execution of today's stepsides that's bad. The step should be at or near the bottom of the rear fender, just like they were 40 years ago.

I'm 57, and my old body doesn't work like it used to, so I'm looking for something that's easy to use. Steps that are high on the fender just don't cut it for me.

Bob
    Quad is right, the best stepside is the tire. My daughter has been climbing in the bed since she was 5. She uses the inside of the rim as the first step, the top of the tire as the second, and then she easily steps into the bed.
    works if the rim is designed so that your foot can find a place to to step. With some rims, that may not be possible, especially if you have a large foot. Also this may require a bit more dexterity and effort for someone who is older and/or less nimble (such as myself).

I still say a properly "located" fender step is the best answer.

Bob
  • The stepside is more of a flair side in the Tundra. No bed space is lost on this stepside. How do i know? My father works at the Toyota plant in gibson county Indiana. As far as looks go, i've seen it close up. It is amazing! Best damn looking truck i've seen in years and I'm used to seeing Chevys in my family. If you go to www.toyota.com you can see the concept which is a little different from what they will really produce. In the pic you see the truck is lowered 4" and has cool 17" rims and a painted grill (also special shocks). The stepside will only be available in extended cab which is perfect for me. The stepside will not come out of the factory lowered with the cool wheels and grill. You can get this package by ordering it special through the dealer and right after it gets off the line, toyota has a specialty company change the suspension, grill, and wheels. I would definitely buy this over a regular tundra
  • Isn't that the same design they pulled out in the Detroit auto show or somewhere recently. The lowered blue one that looked quite cartoonish. It's definitely a different idea for Toyota, but the tailights looked like something off the Jetsons lol. Maybe if the factory version isn't as gimmicky looking, it might be worth a try.
    I saw the concept truck in person at the NY auto show. Sorry, but it's not to my taste.

I did like, however the deeper pickup bed.

I'd much rather see Toyota do a full-crew cab on the Tundra.

Bob
    I did see a post on edmunds somewhere and someone said they are supposed to be coming out with a crew cab Tundra. I forgot what board I saw it under, if I find it I will let you know.
    It's been rumored for a while. I just wish it would get here. I've heard that it may come out as a Tundra HD (3/4 ton?). So, if not for '03, then by '04 for sure.

Bob
    Didn't your "Toyota can't build trucks" topic just get shut down? What are you doing here? Just curious.
  • Why are the farmers posting in a Tundra topic. We all know theres no Tundras on the farm !!! Maybe they mistook this topic for whats new for the barn. Good luck on .... blah blah
    I guess that Libby uses her Big2 p/u to plow her fields. It is too bad that she can't use the Tundra for plowin'.
  • Same farmer, different Edmunds username. What that had to do with the 03 Tundra, not sure. Not to mention its pretty bad when an American magazine .. CR , recommends primarily import cars over domestics in its latest used car survey. There doesn't seem to be many Tundra owners looking to switch to GM/Ford/Dodge, but there sure seems to be a lot more domestics, looking into the upcoming 03 Tundra.

BTW - Thanks to PF for pulling the E brake on the Toyota can't build trucks thread. It's just the same farmer with nothing better to do, probably because his big2 is broke down on the ranch. When Toyota gets to the top of the American market, we'll see who's lacking in truck quality.
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    I've seen that same character here 3 or 4 times and always claiming to be "Bob Jones".Whoever it is needs new material cuz thier one joke is getting pretty well worn.They've obviously never owned a toyota or driven a jeep trail.Just becuase Toy never made a big truck don't mean they don't make good little ones.

As for you asking him(her?) "What are you doing here?"The answer should be obvious to you.What do you do in the GM pages?I don't recall seeing you offer any constructive advice but you spend a lot of energy there.

kip
    What did a Toyota ever do to you?Just becuase you never tried to work one don't mean it can't be done.I'm not a fan of the tundra but Tacoma gets it's 190 horses to the dirt better than anything else street leagal on the market today.I sold mine a few months ago with 106k HARD miles on it and it was like new(except for a few scratches and small dents).There was ALWAYS 1000 lb in the bed and I towed a 4000lb ski boat with it 1000-1500 mi a year.

kip
  • Very well said there KG
    My Dad has a '47 Power Wagon that's been around the block more times than the ice cream truck,but I rebuilt the flat head 6 in it once and he did it twice.Nothing can go wrong on it cuz there aint nothin on it.The same is probably true for your '53 chevy.As a tool you've got your money's worth a long time ago ,but is it what you drive when you dress up and go dancing?Do you take it to the grocery store or drop the kids off at school?My CJ2 is the best off road vehicle I've ever driven but I don't use it for anything else and I've done a lot of work on it in the last 28 years.
    Most pickups sold today are used as a family car and only worked occasionally.If you want something to work hard every day I would never recomend a toyota or ANY 1/2 ton on the market.The're ALL cars.

kip
This discussion has been closed.