Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• presidiodmpresidiodm Posts: 1
    Hope this info may help those who may have this problem or are thinking about buying an S-10 with the 4.3L Vortec.

I have a 1999 S-10 Ext.cab 4x4 and it's been nothing but a nightmare. The biggest problem is this engine noise it's had since day one. Kind of sounds like a loose rocker arm on the older small blocks. First GM said it was normal, due to the new design of the engine; NOT. They then replaced the lifters, which only fixed the problem for two weeks. After several phone calls and some research, I found this is not an isolated problem, in fact GM is aware of it, but they do not have a fix at this time. My vehicle was in the shop for a week this last time and I was told all they could do was soak the top end in engine cleaner, that is was a carbon build-up problem. So if any of you believe that, you'll need to bring your trucks in every 10000 miles for it's quarterly cleaning. Oh yea, engine still has the problem. I'm trying another dealer this week. Just thought this info might be helpfull to some.
  • flahardyflahardy Posts: 1
    HELP!! This thing is running very rich. I'm getting a code #45 (oxygen senser) reading, changed the senser. No change in running. Getting no other codes. Reading are 880 and above, should be 200 to 400. Engine will surge when cold, idle rough when warm. Runs good at speed, but still rich. Has anyone had this problem? and What is the fix?
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Posts: 314
    My neighbor replaced the O2 sensor on his friends S10 blazer only to find out that there are 2 of em, think he said one before and after the cat and the wiring to one was burned by the exhaust pipes.
    hope this helps.
  • jayfrogdogjayfrogdog Posts: 15
    The borla is great. It offers 2.5 inlet and a 2.5 outlet, with a 3 inch tip. It sounds better after a couple of months once it's broken in. I have a standard cab with the shortbed, and borla only offered an extendcab kit, so I had a shop cut the pipe to fit. (The extend cab kit works great for eliminating the catalatic converter on std cab trucks.) The kit is easy to install if you have an extendcab.
    I have the stock 4 speed auto. and the stock 3.42 gear ratio. (I thought about getting the kit that allows the F-body rearend to bolt up to handle the extra power that I will be adding.)
  • woody2269woody2269 Posts: 52
    Well, this is what I was told....I have been having similar problems with my truck, and in Jan I took it in because the SES light kept coming on, especially after I took the truck out of 4wd back to 2. The first time I took it in, they told me that nothing was wrong. Second time, they did a diag. and got code #1406, so they cleaned the carbon intake. STILL kept happening, and what you were saying about the enging surging when cold was happening to me too. (I was also having problems with it slipping in reverse.) They told me that it was the tranny, and replaced that ($1800 + labor....ouch!!). They also told me that regarding my SES light, there was a cracked valve, and that that should take care of that. Well, since they have done all of that, they have also replaced the rear U-joint, the fuel sensor (the truck was telling me that it was full even though I had driven 200+ miles on the same gallon....?!) and I can't even think about what else, besides normal maintenance. Have you thought about the
    fuel injectors?
    Also, does anyone have any idea how to find out if a vehicle was involved in any natural disasters? (aka The floods that happened in northwestern Minnesota/eastern North and South Dakota?
    Sounds good, I also have a reg cab short box same engine and trans and LS. I'm gonna try to get a '01 S10 so I wont get too crazy with this one but its great. GM has traditionally given last year models a HP boost and might have to with the new 205 HP ranger for '01. Even if they don't I'll have a truck thats 2 years newer and the extra cab will be nice.
  • davis23davis23 Posts: 7
    Iv'e been having problems with my 98 S10, Maybe one of you have been having the same difficulties.the first problem was my clutch was making a squeaking sound. Soon after that my front drivers side spring was riding two inches lower than it was supposed to. And just resaintly I just replaced my U-joint. I've got standard transmission and when I hit high RPM's , theres a quit noticeable sound that comes from where the shifter is.I don't know about any of you guys, but I have just about had with chevy products and there service.If any of you get a chance which I'm sure you do, look in service department and see how many S-series trucks you see in there, theres quit a few. I rest my case.
    Made a delivery yesterday at the Chevy dealer in Morris IL, one S10 in the 20 bays.
    I take it your a S10 lover. Thats ok, everybody has the right to there own opnion.But from my experience the S-series are frequently visiting the service department. I have three other friends who own S-series trucks and they all have come to know the name to all the service departments representatives. We have a come to the conclusion that we will never buy the S-series junk again. Braeger Chevrolet, Milwaukee Wisconsin. "The dealer where I purchased my 98 S10"
    Sorry about the Chevy bashing, Its just that Im losing money on this truck. Its kinda said, my father works for GM. Other than my truck, Chevy has been pretty good to us.
    Everyones entitled to their opinion. Yes I like the S10, it has style, its comfortable, the A/C is COLD, and with the V6 it MOVES when I want it to.
    I take care of my vehicles and they last. GM has been good to my family. Maybe you have the "lemon" every manufacturer lets loose....I dont know. Why dont you trade that thing in? If you try to do that and they say something needs to be fixed its still under warranty isnt it?
    saidly my warranty has run out. I went to go trade it in and they wouldnt give me what I owe on it. So Im stuck with it for another year. Hopefuly not that long.
    P.S. I did own a 96 S-10 pickup with a 4.3 V6. I did enjoy that one. That truck had power.
    Warranty expired on a 98?
  • tnovatnova Posts: 1
    I too had a problem with tiger paws on the s10 slipping, but I found out if I added some weight to the bed the problem disappeared. I have 15500 miles on the truck and have had no problems what so ever. I have the v6 and get about 22 miles to the gallon as I expected. Seems to be a peppy good running truck. By the way the fuel gage can be recalibrated by your dealer. They know there is a problem with it and my dealer fixed it in no time.
    Pool player Joe? Good choice of truck! I like my '99. Heres a link with lots of info, even though its for the Xtreme. Mines a 2wd Z85 reg cab V6.

http://www.s10xtreme.com/
  • 9balljoe9balljoe Posts: 1
    Thanks SuperJim for the link your right alot of good info there. Yea Am a pool player and ride motorcycles, ride a K1200 BMW RS right now that puppy has 130 ponies and uses it well. As for the Borlo Exhaust I was also wondering if you have to loose your sp[are tire to make it fit, like some of the other exhaust systems. Also any other info would be very appreciated.
    =======>-----------------o) Joe
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    i have a 1993 chevy s-10 2wd tahoe package pickup with a five speed and a 2.8 v6. i am installing a tach as an aftermarket add-on. does anyone know
    what the redline is for this particular engine?
    also, what are the torque and horsepower numbers for this truck? i cannot find the numbers anywhere. by the way, i love my chevy and i am getting 27 mpg on the highway with it!!!
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    just wondering...i have heard all sorts of good things about the 4.3 engine, and i am wondering what the concensus is with the 2.8. my mechanic says it is a good engine but his is the only opinion i have gotten. any ideas?
    My old 83 S10 had the 2.8, it was good. Had 300,000 on it before I sold it. Only thing I didnt like was that mine wasnt fuel injected.

Make sure you use pellets from GM in your cooling system to keep your intake manifold gaskets from going bad.
This discussion has been closed.