Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• Thats a 1st gen S10, the 2nd gen is bigger, and I'll bet you its 2wd and the Silverado is 4wd.
  • What does everyone think of s-10's reliabilty? I currently have two s-10's. The first is a 1985 4x2 extended cab Tahoe. It has the 173 V-6 (carb. 2.8 liter), 700r-4 4spd auto tranny, and HD everything, from radiator, tranny coolers, to towing pkg. It has 270,000+ miles on it, with few problems. Radiator replaced w/ HD 3 wall radiator @ 235,000 miles, tranny rebuild @ 185,000 miles. Mind you, this truck has been beat up all it's life, overloaded, overused, down right abused. Everything that worked on the inside when it was new works just the same now. The point is, never once has the vehicle left me stranded, and it's still a great work truck today.
    However, the 98 s-10 4x4 LS ext. cab is a different story. 3.73 limited slip RE, all options, towing prep, etc... This truck is a joke. The seat handle breaks, door seals fail, 4x4 switch burns out, electrical problems, the list goes on and on. -- And, this truck has been treated like a baby (the 85 is the work truck), and has only about 15k year miles on it. Can GM no longer produce long lasting products, or are all car companies getting this cheap?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Your correct. 2wd S-10 prevortec. 4wd SIlverado 5.3. Big diference. It is alot bigger than the S-10.

Vince the 5.3 wouldnt fit in the S-10.

To put in pics image

Ryan
  • Hello....just found this place...I hope to add
    when I can, and learn from the rest of you...

I have a '97 S-10 LS SB, Metallic Beige in color,
    with the 2.2liter/5-speed manual package, alloys,
    A/C, but no fancy door locks or power windows/
    power mirrors, no rear slider window...a pretty
    bare-bones vehicle. It currently has 119,000
    miles on it, and the only thing that's been
    done to it is oil changes every 3-4000 miles,
    chassis lubes, new Bosch plugs, and a set
    of Cooper tires (the Uniroyals lasted 92K).
    I put 600 miles minimum per week on this truck,
    and it never quits. I cross over the Blue Ridge
    twice a day on my commute, and the motor could
    use a few more horses, but I can maintain 60mph
    in 4th gear going uphill. Eight bags of mulch
    in the bed gives me all the traction I need
    during the winter, 'cause if I can't get out
    of the driveway, I'm not going to work anyway.

I'm starting to hear a 'tink-tink-tink' sound
    coming from what sounds like the driveshaft...
    I'm hoping it's nothing more than a universal...
    of course, it had to happen when the weather
    starts turing colder...nothing like crawling
    around on a cold garage floor...

I drove it to Chicago last June...it averages
    around 27-28 mpg from day to day, and close
    to 30mpg on the highway...not bad...

I've seen some other posts from folks who've
    had bad luck with their trucks, and I think
    that's all it is...bad luck. Before I bought
    the Chevy, I had an '89 Mazda B2200 that I
    put 225,000 miles on, and never did anything
    to that one except oil, brakes, belts and hoses.
    And prior to that, I had a '74 Camaro that I
    put 175,000 miles on it's motor before having
    it and the tranny rebuilt, and then drove it
    around for another 100,000...I don't think that
    it's all in how you take care of things, but
    it can't hurt...

Thanks for listening...this place looks like fun.
  • My 91 S-10 4.3 Ext. that has all the bells and whistles, and still runs great at 225,000. Probably selling soon since I just bought a new vehicle, but hate to see it go..was hoping to play a game of "how far can it go before it dies" but thinking it will take too long. Not sure how much I can sell for, blue books balk at high miles. People may balk at Chevy's now, but I have nothing but good to say about my truck. Even my dog would rather ride in it than in the new vehicle. Of course people say she IS a smart dog...
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    Mine is a 98 ext cab with 4 cyl, 5 speed, ac, am/fm/tape, white, with about 31,000 miles.

The average mpg is about 22-23. Replaced the water pump and engine seal under warranty. The passenger door cannot be locked from the inside, but can be locked from the outside with the key. Overall satisfaction is pretty good.
  • I've got an 85 S-10 Blazer that just developed a problem with the interior lights. For some reason they are staying on after all the doors are closed and when the light knob is turned. Can anyone offer any advice on this situation?
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    Just picked up a 2000 LS with 1300 miles on it for $10,000 (bought it from a guy that won it in a contest) and what a dream. It has everything I would want in a small pickup. Right now 25 mph with the 4 cyl, 5sp. Sliding rear window, cd, bedliner, carpets, etc. It drives like a truck, but is very comfortable. I have owned Chevys in the past and with the new Vortex 4 I hope to get trouble-free service like my others. I read all the posts here and hope that these are just flukes or sour grapes by other small truck owners. I have crawled over and under my rig and have not noticed one thing except for a poor hood fit. Maybe during my 3/36 I will get it adjusted. The other S10 owners that I know raved about them. Getting 200K+ without any problems. I will keep checking in at this forum for news or to report any problems.
  • I posted this as a separate topic, but I figured some participants in THIS discussion might be able to shed some light on this.....

I just purchased a 2001 Chevy S-10 4x4. This is
    my first truck, and I was wondering about
    "off-roading" in it.

I took it on some muddy trails as soon as I got
    it, and someone "yelled" at me, stating that

1) the S-10 really shouldn't be taken off-road
    unless you really need to, because it's not a
    "true" 4x4, like a F150 or Sierra and

2) you should definitely stay on paved roads for
    the first couple of thousand miles, as going
    off-road immediately can damage the truck

Any thoughts?
    You can take it offroad. Plenty of people have taken their S-10s (ZR2 and 4x4) offroad. What were they driving???

Ryan
  • xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    I have one response to whoever yelled at you concerning taking you S10 off-road: "BITE ME!!!" Bigger does not necessarily mean better in the off-roading world. Just because it is not a 1/2 ton does not mean it should not be taken four wheeling. These compacts are amazingly capable out on the trail. In some situations, they are actually preferred because of their maneuverability and nimbleness. Don't take it off the road - give me a break. I applaud your decision to take it out and experiment with it. That's what these vehicles are for. And as far as waiting for a couple of thousand miles before taking it off-road, why wait? The four wheel drives systems need to exercised as well. In fact, it is a good idea to take your truck out on a dirt road at least once a month and put it in 4-HI and then in 4-LO to work the systems a little bit. My only precautionary advise to you would be this: If you are new to off-roading, gradually learn your truck's capability and your ability to drive it. Don't jump into it too aggressively because you'll get yourself into trouble. We wouldn't want to see you hurt or you new truck damaged. Enjoy yourself and happy trails. Let us know how it goes...
  • My 91 S-10 has 226,000 miles on it and it still runs great...very minor mechanical issues...less than perfect electric windows (replaced both motors once, but still.... 226,000 miles. I had a Toyota once...people raved about Toyota being great. My Celica was yellow, definitely a lemon! Dumped it at less than 100K miles.
    Moral of the story? Nothing is predictable...
  • I'd like to see how many people have a '95 or '96 with that kind of mileage on it. Throw 4x4 in the mix with the mileage and let's see who responds....
  • xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    nochevyagain -
    Sorry to hear about the trouble with your S10. None of us want, or expect, to have that kind of trouble with their trucks. I know a co-worker who is having some of the same frustrations with his truck as you are with yours. He bought a 2000 Tacoma and has recently had his rear axle replaced along with one half of his rear suspension. Add to that a faulty electrical system that has left him stranded on two occasions, and, well, you can see that he is not a happy camper...
  • rks10rks10 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 S-10 4 cyl 5 spd. It is a nice truck, fun to drive, especially at $1.80 per gallon. What were the major changes to the engine in 2000 besides calling it a Vortech? My only complaint would be the vibration of the engine at higher rpm's. I'm amazed they didn't balance the engine better.
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    Had six S10s now. My 91 with 2.8 V6 five speed is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. On the other hand my 97 with the 2.2L four cyl. was the worst. Hard to believe the same brand/type of vehicle could have fallen so far in quality. Certainly hope my experience with this was a rarity.
    I also have a 2.2 in my 2000 S-10. I just returned from a trip up to Tahoe, fully loaded with gear. Except for the fact that I had to shift down in the hills it performed flawless. No vibration at all at 70+ mph. I will sacrifice a little lack of power for 29 mph. The Vortec engine is totally different from all the other previously built 4 cyl. Do a internet search for specs. Just like the 6s' and 8s' that GM builds now, most the parts are not interchangable with their previous motors. I remember before 1996 that the GM 350 could use the heads off almost any small block Chevy motor. No more. I just hope that this new Vortec four is as dependible as the old "iron duke" of old.
  • I recently bought a 93 S10-Tahoe 4.3V6 auto. Overall it seems pretty good for having 125k miles on it (has typical valve guide oil smoke problem). My question is what is included in the Tahoe package? It has manual windows, door locks, vinyl seats, no tilt or cruise or carpeting. Is the Tahoe package just wheels and moulding?
    I had a 92 S-10 Tahoe. It has manual windows and door locks. It also has a tilt wheel. Cloth bench seat it also has carpeting with rubber floor mats. 4.3L V-6 just a radio no cassette or cd. The wheels are steel with plastic caps. This is a great work truck. It has 90000 mls on it. My dad has it back now since i have bought a silverado. How can you guys live with a 4 cylinder???

Ryan
  • I've heard the 4 cyl/5 speed is peppy, never drove one though. I know the 4 cyl with the auto is very slow, at least the one I drove, (thought I'd give the 4 banger a chance, better mileage and insurance) so I got the V6.
    I drove a 4 cylinder sonoma (automatic)for about 3 months while my grandpa was in the hospital. (me and my cousin switched every wk) That thing was a dogg. My cousin took it after my grandpa died. It just recently got totaled.

Ryan
    A truck with 120hp and gets 29+mph is a little doggish, but who cares. Did you ever check the gear ratio? Tall gears will dog a 4 cyl. My 2000 S-10 is plenty peppy for my use around town. The LS has all the bells and whistles, AC, PS, PB, and were do you think all those accessories get that power?
  • 4.3 V6, Power window, locks, cruise, cassette, tinted extra-cab(with crappy little jump seats)windows and rear window, tilt, and bucket seats with center console. A little more plush on the door panels, chrome trim etc. 226,000 and looking to sell. Body is clean, 1 year old paint(same white), painted for look only, no accidents. Runs great, no oil burn, and still good compression, but have no idea what someone would pay for it. Any ideas? I am not expecting much...
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    If you look at the front page of www.edmunds.com, there is a "try our used vehicle appraiser" and "used car and truck prices & reviews" section.
    It should have the information you are looking for.
  • Thanks...I'll check it out.
  • My wife and I pick up our 2001 LS Ext. 4X4,Auto on Saturday. We have been real happy with our 95 Sonoma, equipped the same way, and had two S-15s before that. Some of the posts here have me wondering how happy we will be with this one. I'll keep you informed as time goes by.
  • eddyveddyv Posts: 12
    Own a 97 chevy s-10, ext cab. 4.3L. 5 speed. Anyone install a header/dual exhaust system on one of these. I've been lookin online for an exhaust setup like this, but with little luck. Any input is greatly appreciated

Ed
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    or NOS or both...
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    checkout S-Series.org
  • I have a 2000 S-10 2wd ext with the 4.3 and an auto. I have had it to the dealer several times in 15K miles with a persistent pinging problem. This past summer it was so bad it retarded the timing and zapped the power. The dealer said this is normal and to run premium in it(midgrade doesn't help). I didn't buy the 6 to get the 4 power and don't want to spend the 12 cents/gal extra for premium. Anyone else noticed this problem and any solutions? I am just about ready to trade it in.
This discussion has been closed.