Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• Anyone here know why GM has dropped the EPA mileage estimates on the 4.3, Auto, 4wd for 2001? The 2000 estimates were 16/21 and the 2001 estimates are 15/18, quite a difference. I have a 95 Sonoma that gets 18 around town and 22 on the highway. I'm about to order a 2001, but was surprised to see the new mileage figures. The salesman was no help, pretty sure I know more about the truck than he does.
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    When you buy a new truck or car you'll get a questionaire after a few months. I suspect the feds get this info and adjust the mileage ratings according to the feedback they get. My 97 was rated at 30 highway, actually would get no more than 28 at absolute best. The next year the EPA rating was 28, maybe even less now. The ratings are usually pretty accurate and this continuous adjustment may be why.
  • dannygdannyg Posts: 131
    Yes, 15/18 MPG is pretty bad--might as well buy a Silverado. I guess you've got to get a 4cyl to get decent MPG these days. Ford will have a new 2.3L OHC 4cyl engine with about 140hp and 155 torque. I hope Chevy retaliates with a more-powerful OHC 4cyl.
  • I am in the market for a new pick-up (I currently have an Eclipse.) I have always had my eyes set on a Tacoma, but realized I could get more for my buck with a Chevy S10. I am looked today at the 2001 LS V6 Extended Cab series and got instant google eyes. However, I am slightly discouraged now by reading the responses. If I could get anything from someone who has purchased a 2001 S10 I would be appreciative :)
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    Have you though about the 2001 Ranger it has a new
    4.0 V6 207 HP engine,standard 4 doors on supercab along with standard 4 wheel abs.Nice truck I though about a 2000 ZR2 great rebates and 0% financing for 5 years up here in Boston,but I'm not a big fan of the Chevy
  • gmsjsbgmsjsb Posts: 8
    My friend's '87 Sonoma just turned 300,000 miles. 2.5L, 4speed manual. Used for work all it's life. Same friend owned an '84 Cavalier before that. 2.0L, 3speed auto. Traded it in at 170,000 miles. Still ran fine. My father had a Chevy Van 30 a few years back that had 240,000 miles on it. Another friend's 1500 pickup has 225,000 miles on it. Grandfather has an '84 Olds Custom Cruiser at 101,000 miles, even with woodgrain. 2 Delta 88's in the family went 140,000 miles. My '91 S-10 is young at 101,000 miles. Starts every morning without question. No significant problems with any of these vehicles. Exhaust, tires, shocks, belts, maybe a water pump, that's about it.

If you take care of a Chevy, it'll last forever... Be proud to own an American-made, American-company owned vehicle.

Jeff
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    my 1993 s-10's driver side window refuses to co-operate. it will roll down smoothlt but balks and grinds and makes a "click" noise when i try to wind it back up. it does roll back up but not without great force applied to the handle. i tired squirting oil down into the track but it didnt work. someone told me that i would have to take the door apart and use white lithium grease. any ideas? if i do have to remove the door panel, how do i do it? thanks.
  • meredithmeredith Posts: 578
    Been there, done that....

albeit with a Cherokee and power windows.

First look at the door panel. The handle, and any other obvious fastners will have to come off. Then you should be able to "pop" the panel loose around the outside. Pick a corner and work in both directions, slowly and carefully. It pops out, it will pop back in.

The window mechanism uses some parts that are metal and some that are plastic/nylon. The latter wear out and must be replaced. For an electric opener this means buying a $300 motor because a $2.50 nylon wheel has worn down. Hopefully yours will be cheaper.

If you do not already own a Haynes manual for your vehicle I would strongly recommend it.

Good luck!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • that makes the S10 look small.
  • vjanvjan Posts: 2
    it does look small to your full size,,what if you had the motor out of the full size and put it in the S10? i did. and put dual wheels on the back too. tell me how you put your pic on there and i will send you on of mine,,,,vince
  • Thats a 1st gen S10, the 2nd gen is bigger, and I'll bet you its 2wd and the Silverado is 4wd.
  • What does everyone think of s-10's reliabilty? I currently have two s-10's. The first is a 1985 4x2 extended cab Tahoe. It has the 173 V-6 (carb. 2.8 liter), 700r-4 4spd auto tranny, and HD everything, from radiator, tranny coolers, to towing pkg. It has 270,000+ miles on it, with few problems. Radiator replaced w/ HD 3 wall radiator @ 235,000 miles, tranny rebuild @ 185,000 miles. Mind you, this truck has been beat up all it's life, overloaded, overused, down right abused. Everything that worked on the inside when it was new works just the same now. The point is, never once has the vehicle left me stranded, and it's still a great work truck today.
    However, the 98 s-10 4x4 LS ext. cab is a different story. 3.73 limited slip RE, all options, towing prep, etc... This truck is a joke. The seat handle breaks, door seals fail, 4x4 switch burns out, electrical problems, the list goes on and on. -- And, this truck has been treated like a baby (the 85 is the work truck), and has only about 15k year miles on it. Can GM no longer produce long lasting products, or are all car companies getting this cheap?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Your correct. 2wd S-10 prevortec. 4wd SIlverado 5.3. Big diference. It is alot bigger than the S-10.

Vince the 5.3 wouldnt fit in the S-10.

To put in pics image

Ryan
  • Hello....just found this place...I hope to add
    when I can, and learn from the rest of you...

I have a '97 S-10 LS SB, Metallic Beige in color,
    with the 2.2liter/5-speed manual package, alloys,
    A/C, but no fancy door locks or power windows/
    power mirrors, no rear slider window...a pretty
    bare-bones vehicle. It currently has 119,000
    miles on it, and the only thing that's been
    done to it is oil changes every 3-4000 miles,
    chassis lubes, new Bosch plugs, and a set
    of Cooper tires (the Uniroyals lasted 92K).
    I put 600 miles minimum per week on this truck,
    and it never quits. I cross over the Blue Ridge
    twice a day on my commute, and the motor could
    use a few more horses, but I can maintain 60mph
    in 4th gear going uphill. Eight bags of mulch
    in the bed gives me all the traction I need
    during the winter, 'cause if I can't get out
    of the driveway, I'm not going to work anyway.

I'm starting to hear a 'tink-tink-tink' sound
    coming from what sounds like the driveshaft...
    I'm hoping it's nothing more than a universal...
    of course, it had to happen when the weather
    starts turing colder...nothing like crawling
    around on a cold garage floor...

I drove it to Chicago last June...it averages
    around 27-28 mpg from day to day, and close
    to 30mpg on the highway...not bad...

I've seen some other posts from folks who've
    had bad luck with their trucks, and I think
    that's all it is...bad luck. Before I bought
    the Chevy, I had an '89 Mazda B2200 that I
    put 225,000 miles on, and never did anything
    to that one except oil, brakes, belts and hoses.
    And prior to that, I had a '74 Camaro that I
    put 175,000 miles on it's motor before having
    it and the tranny rebuilt, and then drove it
    around for another 100,000...I don't think that
    it's all in how you take care of things, but
    it can't hurt...

Thanks for listening...this place looks like fun.
  • My 91 S-10 4.3 Ext. that has all the bells and whistles, and still runs great at 225,000. Probably selling soon since I just bought a new vehicle, but hate to see it go..was hoping to play a game of "how far can it go before it dies" but thinking it will take too long. Not sure how much I can sell for, blue books balk at high miles. People may balk at Chevy's now, but I have nothing but good to say about my truck. Even my dog would rather ride in it than in the new vehicle. Of course people say she IS a smart dog...
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    Mine is a 98 ext cab with 4 cyl, 5 speed, ac, am/fm/tape, white, with about 31,000 miles.

The average mpg is about 22-23. Replaced the water pump and engine seal under warranty. The passenger door cannot be locked from the inside, but can be locked from the outside with the key. Overall satisfaction is pretty good.
  • I've got an 85 S-10 Blazer that just developed a problem with the interior lights. For some reason they are staying on after all the doors are closed and when the light knob is turned. Can anyone offer any advice on this situation?
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    Just picked up a 2000 LS with 1300 miles on it for $10,000 (bought it from a guy that won it in a contest) and what a dream. It has everything I would want in a small pickup. Right now 25 mph with the 4 cyl, 5sp. Sliding rear window, cd, bedliner, carpets, etc. It drives like a truck, but is very comfortable. I have owned Chevys in the past and with the new Vortex 4 I hope to get trouble-free service like my others. I read all the posts here and hope that these are just flukes or sour grapes by other small truck owners. I have crawled over and under my rig and have not noticed one thing except for a poor hood fit. Maybe during my 3/36 I will get it adjusted. The other S10 owners that I know raved about them. Getting 200K+ without any problems. I will keep checking in at this forum for news or to report any problems.
  • I posted this as a separate topic, but I figured some participants in THIS discussion might be able to shed some light on this.....

I just purchased a 2001 Chevy S-10 4x4. This is
    my first truck, and I was wondering about
    "off-roading" in it.

I took it on some muddy trails as soon as I got
    it, and someone "yelled" at me, stating that

1) the S-10 really shouldn't be taken off-road
    unless you really need to, because it's not a
    "true" 4x4, like a F150 or Sierra and

2) you should definitely stay on paved roads for
    the first couple of thousand miles, as going
    off-road immediately can damage the truck

Any thoughts?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    You can take it offroad. Plenty of people have taken their S-10s (ZR2 and 4x4) offroad. What were they driving???

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.