Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    I have one response to whoever yelled at you concerning taking you S10 off-road: "BITE ME!!!" Bigger does not necessarily mean better in the off-roading world. Just because it is not a 1/2 ton does not mean it should not be taken four wheeling. These compacts are amazingly capable out on the trail. In some situations, they are actually preferred because of their maneuverability and nimbleness. Don't take it off the road - give me a break. I applaud your decision to take it out and experiment with it. That's what these vehicles are for. And as far as waiting for a couple of thousand miles before taking it off-road, why wait? The four wheel drives systems need to exercised as well. In fact, it is a good idea to take your truck out on a dirt road at least once a month and put it in 4-HI and then in 4-LO to work the systems a little bit. My only precautionary advise to you would be this: If you are new to off-roading, gradually learn your truck's capability and your ability to drive it. Don't jump into it too aggressively because you'll get yourself into trouble. We wouldn't want to see you hurt or you new truck damaged. Enjoy yourself and happy trails. Let us know how it goes...
  • My 91 S-10 has 226,000 miles on it and it still runs great...very minor mechanical issues...less than perfect electric windows (replaced both motors once, but still.... 226,000 miles. I had a Toyota once...people raved about Toyota being great. My Celica was yellow, definitely a lemon! Dumped it at less than 100K miles.
    Moral of the story? Nothing is predictable...
  • I'd like to see how many people have a '95 or '96 with that kind of mileage on it. Throw 4x4 in the mix with the mileage and let's see who responds....
  • xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    nochevyagain -
    Sorry to hear about the trouble with your S10. None of us want, or expect, to have that kind of trouble with their trucks. I know a co-worker who is having some of the same frustrations with his truck as you are with yours. He bought a 2000 Tacoma and has recently had his rear axle replaced along with one half of his rear suspension. Add to that a faulty electrical system that has left him stranded on two occasions, and, well, you can see that he is not a happy camper...
  • rks10rks10 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 S-10 4 cyl 5 spd. It is a nice truck, fun to drive, especially at $1.80 per gallon. What were the major changes to the engine in 2000 besides calling it a Vortech? My only complaint would be the vibration of the engine at higher rpm's. I'm amazed they didn't balance the engine better.
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    Had six S10s now. My 91 with 2.8 V6 five speed is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. On the other hand my 97 with the 2.2L four cyl. was the worst. Hard to believe the same brand/type of vehicle could have fallen so far in quality. Certainly hope my experience with this was a rarity.
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    I also have a 2.2 in my 2000 S-10. I just returned from a trip up to Tahoe, fully loaded with gear. Except for the fact that I had to shift down in the hills it performed flawless. No vibration at all at 70+ mph. I will sacrifice a little lack of power for 29 mph. The Vortec engine is totally different from all the other previously built 4 cyl. Do a internet search for specs. Just like the 6s' and 8s' that GM builds now, most the parts are not interchangable with their previous motors. I remember before 1996 that the GM 350 could use the heads off almost any small block Chevy motor. No more. I just hope that this new Vortec four is as dependible as the old "iron duke" of old.
  • I recently bought a 93 S10-Tahoe 4.3V6 auto. Overall it seems pretty good for having 125k miles on it (has typical valve guide oil smoke problem). My question is what is included in the Tahoe package? It has manual windows, door locks, vinyl seats, no tilt or cruise or carpeting. Is the Tahoe package just wheels and moulding?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I had a 92 S-10 Tahoe. It has manual windows and door locks. It also has a tilt wheel. Cloth bench seat it also has carpeting with rubber floor mats. 4.3L V-6 just a radio no cassette or cd. The wheels are steel with plastic caps. This is a great work truck. It has 90000 mls on it. My dad has it back now since i have bought a silverado. How can you guys live with a 4 cylinder???

Ryan
  • I've heard the 4 cyl/5 speed is peppy, never drove one though. I know the 4 cyl with the auto is very slow, at least the one I drove, (thought I'd give the 4 banger a chance, better mileage and insurance) so I got the V6.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I drove a 4 cylinder sonoma (automatic)for about 3 months while my grandpa was in the hospital. (me and my cousin switched every wk) That thing was a dogg. My cousin took it after my grandpa died. It just recently got totaled.

Ryan
  • expert1expert1 Posts: 133
    A truck with 120hp and gets 29+mph is a little doggish, but who cares. Did you ever check the gear ratio? Tall gears will dog a 4 cyl. My 2000 S-10 is plenty peppy for my use around town. The LS has all the bells and whistles, AC, PS, PB, and were do you think all those accessories get that power?
  • 4.3 V6, Power window, locks, cruise, cassette, tinted extra-cab(with crappy little jump seats)windows and rear window, tilt, and bucket seats with center console. A little more plush on the door panels, chrome trim etc. 226,000 and looking to sell. Body is clean, 1 year old paint(same white), painted for look only, no accidents. Runs great, no oil burn, and still good compression, but have no idea what someone would pay for it. Any ideas? I am not expecting much...
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    If you look at the front page of www.edmunds.com, there is a "try our used vehicle appraiser" and "used car and truck prices & reviews" section.
    It should have the information you are looking for.
  • Thanks...I'll check it out.
  • My wife and I pick up our 2001 LS Ext. 4X4,Auto on Saturday. We have been real happy with our 95 Sonoma, equipped the same way, and had two S-15s before that. Some of the posts here have me wondering how happy we will be with this one. I'll keep you informed as time goes by.
  • eddyveddyv Posts: 12
    Own a 97 chevy s-10, ext cab. 4.3L. 5 speed. Anyone install a header/dual exhaust system on one of these. I've been lookin online for an exhaust setup like this, but with little luck. Any input is greatly appreciated

Ed
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    or NOS or both...
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    checkout S-Series.org
  • I have a 2000 S-10 2wd ext with the 4.3 and an auto. I have had it to the dealer several times in 15K miles with a persistent pinging problem. This past summer it was so bad it retarded the timing and zapped the power. The dealer said this is normal and to run premium in it(midgrade doesn't help). I didn't buy the 6 to get the 4 power and don't want to spend the 12 cents/gal extra for premium. Anyone else noticed this problem and any solutions? I am just about ready to trade it in.
This discussion has been closed.