Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• joe107joe107 Member Posts: 8
    Bought an A.R.E brand fiberglass cover for mine and it's great. Matched my paint perfectly. A little pricy (just over $600.00 installed) but now I have this large lockable trunk on my Short Bed 99 s-10
  • gmsjsbgmsjsb Member Posts: 8
    Coming home from camping trip this weekend. It had just rained overnight steadily. At home, pulled into the common area behind my friend's house to unload truck. It got stuck. Yes it was wet but it was pretty much flat ground. I've had my truck 3 weeks now (2,300 miles already) and I wish I had saved for 4wd. But oh well. I think if I had better tires (something a little knobby) then I wouldn't have gotten stuck. Also wish I had the tow hooks, I mean c'mon if you have 4wd you shouldn't need em right? The 2wd trucks need the damned tow hooks more . So anybody tried better tires on a 2wd and what are the opinions. It doesn't have to be an s-10. The Uniroyals look like good tire but I don't like them. Already had one flat (got screwed), stuck in the mud, and they have like a 450 treadwear and b traction rating. boo on GM!!!!

I would think a little taller, maybe a little wider, and a better tread pattern, on the stock 15" alloys. I'm worried I'll get stuck in the snow too. Do tires like that on the ZR2 fit on my truck? I have the 5 speed and 4.10: axle and I don't think power will be much of an issue. Also, this is a Cavalier engine and they are a durable little engine.

OK, otherwise still love the truck. The 5-speed is a definate asset for rocking the vehicle I must say. I almost got it out of the mud by rocking it. Also, pellets for a pellet stove (about 40lbs) seemed to a little and cardboard does not. Got it muddy as hell, inside and out. It ended up getting pulled out by a 4wd Z71 with big nobbie tires. I just put the tow hook on the front anti-roll bar but it slid to the one side when he tried to turn me around, made a loud clank but not damage. There's probably a better point.

My uncle also got a new truck (well almost new it has 19,000 miles. It's a ranger XLT with the 2 side doors and a neat fiberglass bed cover. But I didn't like it as much. He still paid almost 2,000 more for it. It has the 3.0L with the auto and it was decent but I found the Ranger overall not a refined as my S-10. He didn't even drive my truck but he saw it and said he thought it was roomier and he loved the front end treatment and so do I.

Jeff
  • hank44hank44 Member Posts: 1
    Have a '97 s-10 LS ext. cab 4-cyl. Edmunds review is bogus concerning build quality. Ours is rock solid with 70k miles. Always gets 24 mpg. AC works great here in the desert. Even in 115 degree heat, cab will get cold in a few minutes. Only replacements have been fan belt and front brake pads. New Raybestos pads will cure the pulling to one side that GM pads do, it was not wheel alignment. Dump the original shocks. Good gas ones will cure most of the bouncing. Tiger Paws are cheap tires no doubt, but mine refuse to wear out. They might make 100k miles. Don't suggest 3rd door. You loose 1 jump seat and a speaker + structural rigidity. 4 cyl. has been trouble free, could stand another 20 hp though. Great vehicle for $12,500. This is our 2nd s-10. The first one, an '82 V6, lasted over 300k on original untouched engine and never added a quart between changes. It was good, this one is much better.
  • christie7christie7 Member Posts: 5
    My brother is gearing up to buy a small pickup. Currently he's looking at a Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6, but there are many posts here on Edmunds regarding excessive engine noise in the 4.0. Have any of you seen problems with the Chevy 4.3 V6?
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    Bought a new 97 in Oct. 96. Very well equipped with 2.2 L four and five speed. Day I brought it home I reached down to unbuckle the seat belt, it came up through the seat, never bolted in. Nest morning I left for work, trans would barely shift into second gear, bad into third. Grinding, raking, etc. At 2500 miles I took to dealer for repair. Worst experience I've ever had at any dealer. Finally paid an independent mech. to fix. At 10K miles the rear brakes started locking up. At 20K miles the engine started knocking when cold. AT 25K miles engine started knocking and pecking when hot. Then the gas gauge quit. Windshield wipers won't make contact with glass when cold. Worthless in cold snowy weather. Cruise control loses 3-5 MPH, also worthless. Engine has little power, less torque, lousy gas mileage. I suspect I could scrape off some paint and find some (lemon) yellow under there. Worst vehicle I've ever owned. Worst dealer experience too. (Yes I feel better now, thanks for the venting.)
    tom
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    4.3L V6 on my '90 S10 has been very reliable. No problems. I replaced spark plugs at about 80,000, change the oil regularly with Mobil-1 synthetic. I had the water pump and idler bearing replaced at 100,000 as a precaution.

It's always been a little buzzy, but has great torque, easy to service.
  • giffgiff Member Posts: 10
    I have a '99 s-10 with the 4.3 liter and love it and although mine is not that old a buddy of mine at work had a blazer that was about 7-8 years old that had 4.3 liter also. He loved the engine in that thing and said that it was still going strong after 120,000 miles. He had four wheel drive because he would take the thing hunting in the souther tier here in New York. Unfortunately his vehicle was stolen and totaled. Yesterday he said he was looking at a full size chevy pickup and it is 4 wheel drive and also has the 4.3 liter engine. Most of the folks I have spoken to reguarding the 4.3 liter are very pleased with it. In fact my father has a ranger with the 4.0 liter he likes the truck but after driving mine he likes the extra power the 4.3 gives you. I do not notice that big of a difference. I have not noticed any excessive noise problem in my fathers ranger.
  • christie7christie7 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the responses.
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    I bought a 94 S-10 LS Ext Cab 2WD new in May 94, and it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. It was loaded with all available options, including the HD tow package and 200 hp 4.3 V6. I put over 40,000 miles on it in in less than 2 years, including a fair amount of towing (including other vehicles). I never had a single problem with it, and averaged about 18 mpg. I then foolishly sold it.

It held its value pretty well, too. I paid about 15,500 for it new (that was $50 over invoice) and sold it for $12,000 even with 40,000 miles on it.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    I have a 1991 Ext Cab S-10, Auto, A/C, 4X4 and it's an awesome truck. I'm ready for a new one although there's really nothing wrong with this one. Has had minor exhaust problems here ands there. Had to have a new starter and new alternator both around 90K. Other than that this truck has been king. The only thing I wish is that the S-10s were like maybe 1 inch higher. I was using the 4-wd in heavy snow last year and got stuck because all the snow was piling up underneath the undercarriage and the truck couldn't go foward with all that snow underneath.
    Higher trucks didn't seem to have that problem.
  • badrelbadrel Member Posts: 1
    For what it's worth: I have a 98 ZR2, almost all options, now at 22K miles. Problems I have encountered tend to be more along the lines of engineering, not reliability. The wide stance and big BFG tires of the ZR2 mercilessly chip the rocker panels and wheel opening moldings. Different tires and step bars have helped some, but mud flaps have been impossible to find (any help here?) Mileage with the 4.3 has been 16.4 overall, up to 20 on the freeway. I find the console (between the buckets) to be too high and uncomfortable. Power is ok, but it's definetely no hot rod, and throttle response is lacking (I have the automatic). The lack of a stock receiver hitch option is lame. I agree with Edmunds, build quality of the interior is somewhat shoddy (and the interior is a little cramped for anyone over 6-foot). On the other hand, the offroad package kicks a**, the truck looks great and is fun to drive, and has not been back to the dealer for any problems. Sure would like to hear from some of you about the mudflap issue.
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    The things you mention are common to all small pickups, but I understand your point.
  • warpedwarped Member Posts: 1
    The truck was matained and I had all the records but chevy customer service said they could not help me with the repairs because of the trucks "high" milage. BUY A FORD RANGER, it cost more but seem to be a much better truck!
  • yotaboy1yotaboy1 Member Posts: 6
    I use a 2wd 97 S-10 longbed for a work vehicle. At 77k I replaced the original uniroyals with goodyear wrangler radials. The more aggressive tread pattern seems to greatly improve traction off road and on wet ground. Another tire I would recommend that I have had good results with (on toyota trucks) is goodyear's wrangler GSA.

gmsjsb- the tires on the ZR2 are 31x10.50x15's they will not fit under your 2wd unless you invest in a lift kit. The ZR2 package has 4wd suspension and a 3" body lift and still doesn't leave alot of clearance for those 31's. A 2wd would need a serious lift kit or kits(suspension and body) to get 31's under it.
  • gmsjsbgmsjsb Member Posts: 8
    so I guess P235/75R15 is the best size to upgrade to (on a 2wd) if I choose to. I've heard the Wranglers are good but the tread doesn't look too aggressive.
  • wannarangerwannaranger Member Posts: 20
    I've been thinking about selling my 95' Firebird and getting either a Ford Ranger Sport or a Chevy S10 Flairside. The S10 has a 2200 Vortec engine in it with auto, am/fm CD player, power sunroof with a flairside box. The Ranger Sport there is a Red 2.5 engine and a Green one with a 3.0. If I got the Ranger with the 3.0 I'd keep looking for another Red with the 3.0 or a Blue one. I'm not sure about the engines in each give me some feedback to help make a decision when the time comes for me to decide whether to sell my car and get one of those two trucks. Thanks.
  • giffgiff Member Posts: 10
    I have a '99 S-10 and I have hear both pros and cons of getting the truck "zeibarted". I asked the deal when I purchased the truck what he recommended as far as undercoating goes and he said not to do it or it would void the 3 year rust through warranty. I am not sure if I should do it or not, I am positive the truck will not rust through in three years no matter what I do to it short of dipping it in acid. The vehicle come double galvanized now and I am not sure if the rust proofing is needed. The problem is that I live in north western New York and we are blessed with much snow and SALT. I plan on keeping the truck probably for about 10 yrs. or so but I cannot see spending 300 dollars for a complete rust proofing job if it is not needed. Thanks in advance.
  • jparejpare Member Posts: 2
    I just sold my 95 S-10, Thank God!! I would take me hours to tell you about the problems with this vehicle. I previously owned Japanese vehicles and had very few problems in comparison to the S-10. Keep in mind that I used this vehicle as a service truck for my work as a technician and put 185,000 miles on it. But, I put 325,000 miles on my Mazda pick-up and 135,000 miles on my Nissan 200SX and had a fraction of the troubles that I had with the Chevy. American cars and trucks are fine for driving to and from work and the store, but they cannot handle long distance commuting and heavy usage. At 80,000 miles, the engine had a knocking noise and was replaced due to worn-out rod bearings. I changed my oil faithfully every 3500 miles with castrol GTX. I argued with GM on several occasions and they only agreed to pay $1000 of the $3900 that it costs to replace the engine. 40,000 miles later, the same thing happened again. On this engine, I used synthetic oil after the initial breakin with regular oil. Big waste of money, did not make a difference. I was told that the engine would be replaced at no cost to me. While the truck was in the shop, I was told that the exhaust manifold had to be replaced in addition, of course I had to pay for this. After I got the truck back, I notice that the dealer repaired the rod bearings and did not replace the engine, like I was told. 60,000 miles later after the overhaul, this engine sounded worse than the first engine. I went to 20W50 oil and a additive, which cut down on the noise and sold the damn thing.
    I had numerous other problems in addition to the engine problems. The Intake manifold gasket went out 2 times causing coolant leakage into the engine. A/C compressor had to be replaced, Fuel injector also had to be replaced. The EGR valve was always a major headache. Had it replaced twice and cleaned out three or four times due to rough idling and stalling. I used injector religiously, did not help. Many other problems besides these major ones.
    It was a real shame to experience these problems with a truck that was fun to drive and very comfortable. I tried the American car experience due to pressure from my Union friend and because I wanted to give American Manufacturers a chance to get my business. My hard earned dollars kept union mechanics and union assemblers in work, but it put me in the poor house. Why should I subsidize American workers at my expense. What are they doing for me?? Nothing.
    It is no wonder that foreign cars continue to be imported into this country. They are far superior to our products. This is disturbing. Beware and good luck to all consumers.
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    If you're looking for a cheap price upfront and don't really care what you drive, the four cylinders may satisfy you. On the other hand if you appreciate a well made vehicle, get the six in either Ford or Chevy. The gas mileage is not that much difference and the quality difference is amazing. Resale/trade in is another thing to consider as you can't give away a four banger truck. I've had six S10s and the last four cylinder really taught me an expensive lesson. I'm actually scared to death to even think about spending big money on any new vehicle after what I went through with that one. Once bitten.....tom
  • jparejpare Member Posts: 2
    The engine in the S-10 that I had all the problems with was the Vortec High Output V-6. I forgot to mention about the window motor and side view mirror motor being replaced.
    I think the problems that I had with the truck were far too excessive.
  • ggosselinggosselin Member Posts: 22
    Have a 97 S-10 SS w/ L35 Vortec 4.3 and have had my share of pain in the [non-permissible content removed] problems with it. 200 miles- valve guides need replacement due to minor (2 qts./wk on avg.) oil consumption- three tries later I finally got a new engine. 25k miles-driving on I-75 doing 80 or so.... vrooom!!! goes the engine as the transmission looses 8 qts of ATF on the highway. 2 weeks and a cracked tailshaft housing later... I get a new tranny and my truck back. Finding out now that chevy has had many similar problems with autotrans casting cracks on other vehicles with 4L60E auto.
    Didn't like spending $800 on tires either, but oh well- it has to be done because the Eagle GA's that were on it originally were lousy.
    One piece of aftermarket equipment that I would strongly recomend- espically for trucks like mine without a rear step bumper is a class III trailer hitch. A little hard to find, but Draw-Tite makes one- #41516. This will literally save your [non-permissible content removed] if you get rear ended- I speak from experience. Hitch is completely concealed behind roll pan- only receivcer is noticeable under bumper.
    A very worthwhile $150 investment!
    As for synthetic oil- don't go near the stuff!
    I again found out the hard way- rear main seal leak- switched to Castrol GTX- stopped leak- not even seepage anymore!
  • winkinatorwinkinator Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Chevy S-10 about 2 weeks ago, and I have to say that so far I am pretty darn pleased with it. I have a 4 cylinder, jet black, w/aluminum rims and a CD player. I didn't want extras, because in my opinion, those are just more possible problems. I would have to agree with the reviews on the tires. They seem to break on the road quite easily, and that does concern me, but I do know for a fact that around here I can sell them for about 1/2 price if I need to, so I am covered. Other than that, the truck has pleased me in pretty much every other aspect. The truck turns quite a few heads. :-)
  • justgettinwetjustgettinwet Member Posts: 1
    Has any body ordered the sports suspension pkg.(zq8) I am ordering a 2000 GMC Sonoma 2 wheel extra-cab w/this option, also w/4.3 and bucket seats
  • bmusser24bmusser24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to order a 2000 S-10 extended cab 4X4 with a 5 speed transmission thru a local dealer. they say GM won't allow them to place the order because they aren't allocated to get a truck. has anyone else had problems ordering a truck?
  • derekshawnderekshawn Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a 1998 S10 LS in March of 98. It has the 2.2 with the automatic transmission. It had given me no problems up until June of this year, and thats when it all started. The first week of June my engine started acting really strange. It would barely crank, and when I tried to accelerate the engine would try to stall and it would knock very loudly. I thought it was bad gas but ended up breaking down and waiting on the side of the road for two hours to get a tow truck. Found out the problem was that two out of four spark plug wires had shorted out completely. About two weeks of getting it back, the same problem occured, this time it was worse. I took it back to the shop (which is a 45 min. drive) and they said everything was just fine. Well I went to pick it up and it started acting up right in front of the service manager. After the third attempt of them fixing it, it was finally back to normal. I thought this was the end of it....nope. In august, I was about 300 miles from home on vacation to Panama City when my transmission completely went out at 19,000 miles. This resulted in being stranded for 3 days in some small town hotel with no money. The result, a rebult transmission and a new torque converter. But wait, there is more, my brakes went out at 20,000 miles, my tires were replaced at 16,000 miles. And guess what, my truck is in the shop as we speak because the wheels clearcoat has cracked all over, the rear view mirror is about to fall off, and the transmission is acting up again!!! I don't understand whats going on, because I treat my truck with the most care and this is what I get. Has anybody else experienced these or similar problems, because I think I may have just purchased a lemon.
  • perlperl Member Posts: 2
    I will be purchasing a 2 wheel drive S-10 with 4.3, ext. cab, and automatic. I will use mainly for transportation. What is the difference between the 3.08 and 3.42 rear axle and locking vs. non-locking differential?
  • wink7wink7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new truck. At present I've got a 97 Jimmy that I've had nothing but good luck with. The 4.3 motor does everything I ask it to do. I've also got a 88 Silverado with 195,000 on the 305 with little more than a new timing chain and gears. But looking at the 2000 S-10LS ZR2 I had to pass. Outside it looks like a good truck other than the rock chips from the wide suspention, all the problems are on the inside. I've got a family of 4 with two small boys and I can't fit them all in this truck comfortably. If I order the extended cab LS ZR2 it comes standard with the 3rd door thereby eliminating one of the jump seats in the back. And with the 3rd door why bother upgrading to a CD because they put all 4 speakers up front which kinda sounded like my old 68 Impala with the speaker in the dash. This truck was obviously designed for the single man or woman without a desire for good tunes. My new Dakota will be here in 5 to 7 weeks.
  • joe107joe107 Member Posts: 8
    I just replaced the (ugh) Uniroyal tigerpaws on my 99 S-10 with Goodyear Ultra Grips (not the ice grip series). Has anyone had any experience with these goodyears??

Thanks
  • ttrttr Member Posts: 1
    perl- 3.08 gears are best for lower rpm on an engine and better mileage! 3.42 will give better performance at all ranges of speed, down side more gas! A locking differential will provide traction to the alternate wheel when the drive side slips. A very important option at reasonable cost. Good luck with you choices.
  • tershntershn Member Posts: 1
    just found this site. am off tomorrow to finalize "00 S-10, 4.3, v6, extracab, loaded, Luckily, from previous comments, I ordered 3:42, slip diff. Comments about reliability concern me but I went for 100k,7yr extended warranty.( on line at www.warrantydirect)Have used synthetic on four cars with OUTSTANDING results. Am now questioning advisability on this truck. Pls comeback with more advice. rnorton@telenet.net many thanks.
  • ggosselinggosselin Member Posts: 22
    I have a '97 S-10 SS w/L35 4.3, ZQ8, 4L60E auto, 3.42 locking rear end. I also USED to use synthetic in the truck... that is until the rear main seal started leaking and was eventually replaced by dealer under warr. Was advised to stay away from the stuff in this vehicle by dealer... he told me that it doesn't make seals swell like conventional does, thereby causing leaks. I have used and still use it in my other cars ('94 Altima, '96 Pathfinder, '99.5 Pathfinder)with good results; no leaks, oil stays clean. But I took the advise and went with 5w30 Castrol in the truck and have had no problems since.
    It's up to you as far as what you want to use, but I would stay awawy from it in this vehicle- I found out the hard way.
  • tigerlily1979tigerlily1979 Member Posts: 1
    I have been dreaming of my truck way before I can remember. I have been disappionted in what I have been hearing about the ZR2's. I want to purchase a full size truck but can't afford it! I have horses and have been with out a trailer/ truck from the beginning. I graduated from High School two years ago and finally have enough money set aside to buy a S10 (I settled for a lease, I figured by the time it was up I would be ready to buy my full size). Even though it will be a lease and under warrenty I don't want to waste my time waiting on getting my truck fixed. I went through all of this a year ago with my '96 Probe. I had it six months and drove it about a month and a half and that was it. It was also under warrenty but I wasn't 21 so I couldn' get a rental. Ford's costomer service Sucks by the way! I have never met people so rude in my life!
    What I am wondering is, is my choice in trucks going to put me back in the circle I worked so hard to get out of? I want to lease a S10 ZR2 LT automatic, with a tow package. I have a friend that works at a dealer that can get me one.
  • edharri3edharri3 Member Posts: 35
    To the guy lookin at the 4 cyl. s10 and the 4cyl. or 3.0 ranger, dont get the chevy with a 4. It's SOOOO SLOw. I test drove one, it couldn't get out of its own way. My 2.5 liter 4 cyl ranger is way faster, and the 2.5 is probably even better. Go for the ranger. Better interious, better 4 cylender engine, more reliable.
  • gpzjackgpzjack Member Posts: 1
    just purchased a y2k chevrolet s10 i have driven many rangers and found them to be very cheaply built i feel the s10 is much better looking and it's not a mazda in disguise.
  • dmintzdmintz Member Posts: 2
    Recently leased a Y2K S10-LS w/ 4 cyl auto. is
    used as a commuter vehicle. I have not really
    been interested in a truck but liked the attractive lease and can appreciate the vast
    improvements made in the ride and handling in the past decade. I can live with the 4 cyl.engine,
    the mileage is decent. The CD player makes the
    commute enjoyable.
  • dmintzdmintz Member Posts: 2
    Recently leased a Y2K S10-LS w/ 4 cyl auto. is
    used as a commuter vehicle. I have not really
    been interested in a truck but liked the attractive lease and can appreciate the vast
    improvements made in the ride and handling in the past decade. I can live with the 4 cyl.engine,
    the mileage is decent. The CD player makes the
    commute enjoyable.
  • glumglum Member Posts: 3
    I'm service tech that drives a 1998 S-10. So far I have put on 64,000 hard miles on it. So far I would have to say I'm impressed with it. Only things that went wrong were the U-joints and the regular maintenance - brakes and tires. The Vortec V-6 is joy to drive on the freeway. The only problems I have with the 1998 S-10 is poor gas mileage and a stubborn manual shifter ( downshifting to 3rd ).
  • chevy10chevy10 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a 99 Zr2 and i wanted to add a little something to it and i was wondering if anyone knows where i could find decals that say ZR-2 like the Z71. ive seen them in S-10 brochures and my dealership says it must be a GM part but cant find it in there data base. If anyone knows a part number or where to find them please post it for me. Oh by the way its awesome. The other day i had a little drag with a new Tundra V-8 and i smoked him. Well thanks.
  • markzr2markzr2 Member Posts: 1
    Concerning the awesome ZR2. The decals are available at your local Chevrolet dealer. For the Blazer, the PN is 12496141. I have not bought them for my pickup as of yet. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS. The decals are special cut so they are easy to mount.

Also, I get 260 miles at the most for my 1999 ZR2 LS Extended Cab Pickup while my wife gets 280 miles for her 1999 ZR2 LS Blazer. I did not buy it for fuel economy, I bought it for its off-road capabilities. So far, (20,000 miles) it has proved very worth while.
  • chevy10chevy10 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the number im going down there soon to see if they have it. By the way i love my S10. It can do pretty much anything and right now its great on the snow. And being only 17 I truly test its abilities. The girls really like it. Anyway enough nonsense thanks for the numbers
  • mike324mike324 Member Posts: 1
    I was recently browsing the responses under the s-10 section in the edmunds sight about s-10's made in la and nj. SOMEONE WITH THE USER NAME PETES WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF HIS S-10. I JUST WAS WONDERING IF I PURCHASED HIS OLD TRUCK BECAUSE THE PROBLEMS HE HAD ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ONES I AM HAVING. JUST CURIOUS. IF YOU STILL GET IN HERE AND CHECK YOUR PLACEMARKS COULD YOU LET ME KNOW.
  • i95roadrunneri95roadrunner Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1998 S-10 ext.cab stepside 4.3 liter vortec. It only had 9,800 mi.
    I though i stold it from them.
    Been driven it to work about 5 weeks now.
    3rd door started sweeking right away though no big deal striker plate adjustment, bin working on cars all my life, finally gave up on door more serious noise coming from driver side fire wall,
    thumping over pot holes. Maybe bad shock? took it to get Inspected after I got my registration
    failed for rear brakes not working, self adjusters not working. My son noticed big spaces at the sides of the head lites could fit your hand in it
    adjusters so far out lite beams actually crossed each other on the road. I cant believe a truck 10k
    has this many problems O Yea I looked at the Vin# and its from LA. did I mention I Live In NJ.
  • swampcollieswampcollie Member Posts: 87
    I have had since new a 95 gmc snoma. 4x4 extended cab with base 4.3l and a5 speed. my son has a 95 ranger that is almost identically equipped. both have 85-90k miles on them. we both agree that the ranger has been the more reliable vehicle.. i have rplaced alternator, brakes, back up light switch, 4x4 indicator switch and the complete distributor assembly. the ranger has had no problems at all. On the other hand, we also agree that the sonoma is the much more powerful and nicer riding vehicle. so..drive the s10/sonoma and tow the ranger in case you have problems.
  • danghtdanght Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I have a question I hope someone may have some insight into. I've got a '98 S10 LS Ext Cab (5 spd 4 cyl. 4x2) that doesn't stop worth anything in rain or any inclement weather. I've already got into one accident b/c the truck slid right into the vehicle in front of me and I'm trying to avoid a repeat of this scenario.

Is there anything I can do to make this thing stop? The brakes "pulsate" (ABS feature?) but lurch the vehicle forward regardless of whether I pump them or stomp them. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to stop this sliding madness? My wife is threatening to make me trade in my "toy" truck if I get in one more accident, regardless of fault.

Thanks!

BTW, I have stock everything right down to the Tiger Paws tires. Thanks again!
  • donw3donw3 Member Posts: 6
    danght,
    Unless I miss my guess, the problem you have is not with the ABS brakes, but with those really crappy Tiger Paw tires. Those things are terrible. ABS can only stop you as well as the tires will grip. In wet conditions, the ABS system keeps the tires from locking up by rapidly pumping the brakes when it senses a lockup situation. If the tires gripped better there would be no lockup situation and ABS would not be activated.

My '99 S10 is a 4x4 short bed regular cab and it came with Goodyear Wranglers, which seem to be pretty good. My advice is to toss the Tiger Paws and get some better tires with good wet traction ratings.

Don Williams
  • wtdwtd Member Posts: 96
    In jan. of 93 I bought a new S-10 4x4 reg cab w/4.3L/auto. I was pretty happy with it, accept for the rough idle, untill about 20,000 when it started using about a quart every 2,000 miles. I was using synthetic oil at this time. at 21,000 I had a tranny recall done on the 4L60E and thats when my tranny problems started. Sluggish and delayed shifting. Dealer said nothing was wrong. At 23,700 drivers window gear stripped out. At 28,800 rear main seal replaced along with cracked belt tensioner. At 31,600 had valve seals replaced because of blue smoke on startup. At 40,100 had tranny replaced under warrenty because of extreme sluggishness and another rear main seal installed because of leakage. At 42,600 SES started coming on on cold driving. Check of codes said it was knock sensor circuit. Replaced knock sensor and checked all wiring and still light comes on. End up replacing computer, prom chip, engine coolant sensor, EGR valve all to no advail. At 50,400 quit using synthetic oil and used 10W-30 conventional and oil usage seemed to stop. At 54,400 I had enough and traded it in on a 98 ext-cab Z-71. I never did get the SES problem fixed and the engine was getting pretty noisy by this time. I was very dissapointed in the reliability of this truck. It was my first new car purshase and I took very good care of it. It still looked brand new in and out when I traded it in and sometimes I even miss it. It was a good looking truck.
  • martyg2martyg2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Chevy S10 4 cyl. and a 5 speed. The transmission makes more noise than an old washing machine. The dealer said this is due to them (GM) using lighter grease. It has 5,000 miles on it, and sounds like 50,000 hard miles. When you let up on the clutch it actually clatters. I had to pad the floor just to keep the noise down. This was bought at Daugherty Chevrolet in Sacramento. I have taken it back twice already and got the "it is normal noise." Anyone else out there with the same problem? Any suggestions?
  • danghtdanght Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice, Donw3!

I'm going to buy a set of Michelin RainForce MX4 for the truck. I hear they are the best tires for what I need because of the deep sipes (did some research on tires on the Net)especially since it rains so much here in Houston.

Thanks again! Hope this helps dramatically!
  • donw3donw3 Member Posts: 6
    Martyg2,

I describe my truck in post #101. I have 8400 miles on it. Since I drove it over the curb, I have not been back to the dealer. The truck is quiet and powerful. I hope this keeps up. My 4 speed may be a different one from yours, but it shifts smoothly and makes no loud noises. If I were you, I would take my truck to another dealer and ask them to look at it for the same problems you went to your original dealer for. That much noise cannot be right. You might also pull the fill plug yourself and check to make sure there is adequate transmission grease in it. Some of the newer vehicles do have lighter grease in them. I had a '92 Saturn SL2 and a '94 Saturn SC2 which were both 5 speeds and the owners manual specified Dexron II Mercon automatic transmission fluid for them even though they were manual transmissions. Both of those cars were quiet and trouble free in operation. My first reaction to your troubles would be to speculate that youu have some bad bearings or bushings in the transmission. This could be caused by defects from the factory or failure of the service technicians to put the proper amount of lubricant in the transmission. In either case the bushings or bearings will be sick and make a lot of noise quickly. The second problem I would consider is that you have a damaged gear cog in the transmission. However, if the transmission never jumps out of gear by itself, I don't think it is a cog. Either way, the truck is under warranty. Find a dealer who will do something about it and then reward him/her with your business from now on.
  • squittersquitter Member Posts: 1
    Have a 95 S-10 with 4cyl and have had dealer replace headgasket twice. Now the thing is leaking coolant at the same place and is in the shop again. I am wondering if anyone is having same problems or knows of an engine defect in this model. The leak is noticeable aft of the oil pan, where the exhaust pipe makes the left to right crossover to the catalytic convertor. Each time I notice a few drops of the pink fluid on the garage floor, and within a few days it gets much worse. The dealer tells me the head gasket has been modified 3 times since 1995 and still has problems. The fix action is to put a new improved gasket on. Within 10-12K miles it leaks again. To my knowledge the head has never been "planed" so I don't know if it is warped or the gasket is defective.
This discussion has been closed.