Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• rodandyrodandy Posts: 7
    I have a 97 4x2 ext. cab w/ 4.3 and 5 sp. 49,000 miles and only one problem - water pump failed at 29,000. Replaced with no questions by the dealer. Mileage has averaged 19+ mpg even in heavy San Diego stop & go traffic. Recently moved cross country from SD to NJ, averaged almost 20 mpg even with bed full to top of cap and a 4x8 u-haul completely loaded. Gross weight was over 6300 lbs. I'd like some more interior room, maybe a full size Silverado ext. cab.

To reply to a previous post about why chose the S10 over the Ranger? I actually liked the way the Ranger drove better, except the S10 has more power. The S10 was just better value for the money. All of the Rangers I looked at had options I wasn't willing to pay for. The kicker was 3.9% financing from GMAC, Ford couldn't beat 8%.

All in all it's worked fine for the kind of driving I do - 100 miles per day mostly freeway, but the previous posts are right about the Tiger Paw tires. Wear like iron (fronts are still original) but poor traction. The Costco brand I bought to replace the rears are no better for traction but will probably last 80K or more. I'll definitely look at the Michelins when the fronts are worn out.
  • rodandyrodandy Posts: 7
    I have a 97 4x2 ext. cab w/ 4.3 and 5 sp. 49,000 miles and only one problem - water pump failed at 29,000. Replaced with no questions by the dealer. Mileage has averaged 19+ mpg even in heavy San Diego stop & go traffic. Recently moved cross country from SD to NJ, averaged almost 20 mpg even with bed full to top of cap and a 4x8 u-haul completely loaded. Gross weight was over 6300 lbs. I'd like some more interior room, maybe a full size Silverado ext. cab.

To reply to a previous post about why chose the S10 over the Ranger? I actually liked the way the Ranger drove better, except the S10 has more power. The S10 was just better value for the money. All of the Rangers I looked at had options I wasn't willing to pay for. The kicker was 3.9% financing from GMAC, Ford couldn't beat 8%.

All in all it's worked fine for the kind of driving I do - 100 miles per day mostly freeway, but the previous posts are right about the Tiger Paw tires. Wear like iron (fronts are still original) but poor traction. The Costco brand I bought to replace the rears are no better for traction but will probably last 80K or more. I'll definitely look at the Michelins when the fronts are worn out.
  • afeyafey Posts: 20
    I originally purchased the Chevy in 95 due to the fact that it claimed 95% on the Parts were U.S./ Canadian. The Ranger was only at 78% due to the fact that the transmission was a japanese mazda.
  • amoraamora Posts: 204
    Yea, my '95 Ranger 2.3L had a Mazda manual tranny that took ATF....I read somewhere that Ford owns
    25% of Mazda because GEN. MacARTHUR wroto Japanese constitution that forbids US Companies from owning 100 % At least I think that is what I read..memory fading, am Babyboomer....
    Ever notice that due to this truck being made of galvanized steal that this truck does not rust. I have chips off my paint that are over 3 years old. There still is no signs of rust anywhere on my truck!!!
    Kudos to the body!!
  • woody2269woody2269 Posts: 52
    Yah, ok the body is great, but I have yet to get a response from my dealership when I asked them to show me ONE part in my 97 zr2 that I haven't had to replace!! I bought it in November, and since then I have had to replace the master cyclinder, the rear u-joint, the tranny, the entire fuel system, and misc valves and pinions and seals, not to mention general upkeep.....anyone else having this problem?
  • dannygdannyg Posts: 131
    Has there been any talk of putting GM's OHV 3.1L V6 in the S10? The 4.3L is great, but the MPG is pretty bad. The 3.1L gets 30MPG highway in the Malibu (w/automatic), maybe it would get 26-27 MPG in an S-10 automatic.

Just a thought.
  • I dont think you'll see the 3.1 in the S10, not with a restyled truck in a couple of years featuring all new inline 4, 5, and 6 cylinder engines.
    My guess that the problems with the s10's are in the 4x4 packages. My 95 s10 again has had no problems what's so ever. I am not sure what the deal is??

A 3.1 would be a good decision for the s10. The 2.2 is too weak and the 4.3 is too much.

My friend has a 91 Isuzu with the GM 3.1. Great long lasting motor. Now has 168k I believe
  • schleussschleuss Posts: 3
    Can someone please help explain a passenger side ticking noise in the engine of my 4.3L S-10 4x4(1999 year with 14k miles). Dealer replaced rockers and push rods on that side.Was quiet for a couple 100 miles and is starting to get louder again.Dealer said there was no noticable ware or damage to parts they replaced. Took truck back to dealer, they basically said if it goes under warrranty then they'll fix it. I've been down this road before.Anybody had this valve train problem before? I thought at first it was the Throttle body fuel injection,not the case here. Electronic ERG valve maybe!Why did the dealer replace parts and it didn't fix the real issue at hand! They told me they would replace every part of the motor before they would replace one.At this rate the warranty will be over. There is a reason for this the longer they hold out fixing a problem the odds are in they're favor. You will sale and buy another.I've owned every make of truck from the big three here in the states and one nissan,in the 1990's the ranger was a lemon and this chevy is getting close to a lemon.Dodge has alot work ahead of them,nice body style,bad transmissions on the gas engines and poor interior refinement and steer like a tank.Enough said.
  • afey, yes the 3.1 is a long lasting engine, my old S10 had the 2.8 (basically the same engine, in fact the 3.1 or 3.4 is a recommended replacement for the 2.8) it went 300,000 before I got my new truck.

schleuss I never heard of this problem....ie its not a common thing. Sounds like the dealer was on the right track but theres something wrong with the engine that causes the problem to come back. I'd go higher up, call GM and Chevy's 800 number and see if you can get a rep to handle your situation. When you start making noise they'll pay attention to you, unlike the dealer that doesnt want to do warranty work. I'm sure GM would like to keep you as a customer
  • I have a 95 4X4 Sonoma with the 4.3 (not the enhanced one) and 5 speed. I have an intermittant electrical problem that the dealer can't find because it quits doing it everytime I take it in. The following systems stop working: radio, heater fan, wiper, cruise, the anti lok brake light comes on. the lights and turn signals work and the truck runs fine. it will suddenly begin doing this and then maybe a half hour later it will be fine. sometimes it is on start up and at other times it will just suddenly happen. dealer checked codes and nothing. any ideas?
    Is it coming from the engine? On my s-10 it seems as though I am getting the same thing, but it seems as to be more that the shock is bad. Brought it in and they said that it was fine. The joints were fine, and they couldn't understand why I was bringing it in. Yet, every passenger that I have mentions something about it. I even offered to take a spin with one of the mechanics, but they declined....you think that soemthing is up? I think it is the fact that they think girls don't know anything about trucks....*L*
    SuperJim and Woody,

Thank's for both of your help and I thought I'd bring you up to speed on my situation. I called GM customer service and they couldn't help. They told me all tech. reps go through the local service manager's at the dealership's. So I set a appointment for this friday again and explained the problem again. We shall see. Anybody else with information on this subject, your advise is needed. Just read my first letter and it will explain my engine trouble. Thx,Schleuss
    Ok, I have to ask a dumb question and ask for that 1-800 #. I have to ask them about my s-10 and see if all of the repairs that I have made are normal....I don't think that they are, but who knows....
  • rmf7777rmf7777 Posts: 1
    Hello to all on the Chevy S10 forum. I thought I'd share my experiences with my 94 S10 V6 Apple
    red automatic. I just passed the 100k mile mark which is a first for me. Overall, I'm very happy
    with the vehicle and am interested in repair issues people have had @ the 100k+ mileage mark.

Repairs;
    Replaced alternator @ 100k
    New battery @ 90k
    New muffler @ 65k
    New rear brakes @ 85k
    New front brakes @50k
    New tires @ 50k

A persistent problem I've had is a faulty driver
    side power window. It didn't work right when I
    bought the truck and still gives me occasional
    trouble. I probably need to spend some money
    on a tune up before summer comes. I'm hoping to
    go trouble free till I get to 150k.

Happy Motoring!
    Woody,
    Check out www.gm.com and go to contact us. You can e-mail from there or get the 800#.
    Thanks Schleuss!! What do you think about a 97, replaced the tranny, fuel system, master cylinder, u joint, and many other valves....
  • After reading every message in this forum, the Ford Ranger forum, the Toyota Tacoma forum and doing a ton of research I finally bought an S10 this weekend. This is my first truck. I bought the standard cab LS trim package with regular bed, automatic, 4 cylinder (I know, kinda slow but my wife and daughter will have to drive it occasionally and last time I tried to teach my wife to drive a standard tranny we almost got divorced)AM-FM CD player, air conditioning (a must in Texas. I paid $11,599 and after TT&L I was out the door at $12,510. It MSRP'd at $15,145. I think I did well and so far I am thrilled with it. Now I need to shop for all those cool truck add-ons - Tonneau cover, bed liner, gun rack (lol) etc. Thanks for all the info and I'll take any and all suggestions for my new toy.
    I am also looking for a tonneau cover also, any suggestions? And what do you all think of bedliners, especially the spray on ones vs. the ones that you just place in? BTW bubsdaddy, CONGRATS!!

Hey, is anyone looking for a Lund Racerback, black, lightly used? $100 or BO.
This discussion has been closed.