Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Let's all play 3er"."

I don't think anybody is saying that, and as shipo pointed out, other competitors in this segment manage to offer a manual tranny.

"However, if one is looking for an alternative in the "Entry-level Luxury Performance Sedan" market segment then the IS is one of the best options out there."

What? By whose yardstick? Let me bring out a point the G35 folks have been saying for a while...You can get a baseline G35 out the door for about $30 large (with a manual tranny), which will wipe the streets at the price point. Yeah the IS350 might be faster, or not, but you have to spend $10K more to get it. For the people who value function over form, this is the holy grail of cars.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Did I say ES350 belongs in this discussion? Not that I recalled. I was stating Lexus has two entry luxury sedans (note: no performance) that are aiming for different market demographic. That's all.

However, we've got to give Lexus some credit about selling those "camry" at $40+k and people are stilling buying it left and right huh?
    "However, we've got to give Lexus some credit about selling those "camry" at $40+k and people are stilling buying it left and right huh?"

I agree, if people can buy an overpriced $40K CAMRY, then what is the issue about buying an overpriced IS350 and overpriced 3 series?

I disagree about lexus having two entry level sedans, one of them is an entry level performance sedan. The two of them are not aimed at the same market. Not even Lexus is that stupid to market to different cars on the same platform to the same demographic.
    So you are comparing the outgoing generation G35's price to the newly just re-designed IS. Very slick. How the *beep* is the IS going to cost 10 grand more than the G35? I assume that the 30 grand you were talking about is the base model. Let me tell ya, you can get a base IS350 with 35 grand period. Case closed.

Let's stay tuned to see if the new G35 will be going out the door for about 30 grand like you said this coming November.

Apples to apples people!!
  • seltzseltz Member Posts: 10
    Entertaining discussion...I guess. I don't understand how you can possibly NOT think IS and 3-series should be compared. (Actually, by arguing, you ARE comparing them, aren't you?). Just about every auto magazine compares them. They naturally compete for the same dollars. So, why not compare them? The term "sports sedan" is nothing more than marketing. A Mazda6 is a "sports sedan." Bottom line: these cars (along with G35, A4, etc.) are cross-shopped and therefore it's perfectly appropriate to compare them. Each one offers a different take on price vs. performance vs. luxury equation, but they are all more similar than different. Geez.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    great respect for Lexus, They have the marketing thing down for the mass majority of people, ie don't care about driving dynamics, or a stick. That said, I gotta agree with Shipo here. All the big talk from Lexus about how it's got the 3 series in it's sights and so on and so forth, and then to come out with a car that is unable to turn off traction control, and not have a stick, well the joke is on Lexus since they clearly know nothing about the soul of a "drivers car" which is why they targeted BMW in the first place. Nobody is calling Infiniti a joke, they for the most part get it. Audi for sure get's it IMO. Lexus does not. Kind of funny [see joke] IMO.
    Now the Lexus is a looker, and they are obviously classy cars. But no competition. It almost can't be considered sport IMO. The Audi has no back seat either, but they get the sport thing. If Lexus brought the driving dynamics, and the stick nobody would be saying a thing about the friggen back seat.....End of rant, good night now
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    1) Is the Lexus IS large enough to be USED as a sedan on a regular basis?

No. I'm only 145 lbs and five-seven and I can't fit comfortably in the backseat of the IS350 with the front seat in my normal driving position (which is closer to the wheel than most as performance driving instructors suggest a position that's far less relaxed than most people use).

2) Does a small sedan qualify for the "Performance" moniker if it only offers a manual transmission on its most anemic engine?

No. I wanted the IS350 as a replacement for my BMW ZHP. I was frothing at the mouth when they announced the car. Finally, someone would tackle BMW and I could get away from a brand I loathe. No manual = supreme boredom. A bad automanual - like the IS350's - makes driving not just boring but annoying. The double and triple downshift lag is unforgivable.

3) Based upon the pre-release Lexus marketing hype along with the pre-release rhetoric from Lexus management about the IS being a true 3-Series competitor, "Has the IS lived up to its pre-release billing or is it something of a joke?"

Doesn't even come close to what Lexus promised in 2005 at the NYIAS. The Lexus execs lied. They claimed the IS would lead not only in luxury but performance. They claimed the car was designed to be the best-in-class in all categories. They lied. The handling, the tranny and the interior space don't even come close to the G35 or 3 series. The pricing structure and packaging makes the car ludicrously difficult to purchase with a sport package and xenon lights.

My drives in the IS350 left me deliriously unhappy. Failing in every way - save for wizzbang gadgets - all the criteria important to me were left out of the IS: driving involvement, roadfeel, handling, packaging, etc.

Lexus lied.
    Dear god, you don't read too well do you? Let me post it again:

Did I say ES350 belongs in this discussion? Not that I recalled. I was stating Lexus has two entry luxury sedans (note: no performance) that are aiming for different market demographic. That's all.

Okay, so Lexus doesn't have 2 entry level sedans. One is entry level performance and what's the other one? :confuse:
    I assume that the 30 grand you were talking about is the base model. Let me tell ya, you can get a base IS350 with 35 grand period. Case closed.

Not with sport package. The manual G35 comes with the sport suspension standard. Ditto xenons.

To get an IS350 with sport and xenons you're looking at nearly 40k.

Say a 5k difference. Does that make you happy? Kinda funny the 4 year old G35 outperforms Lexus' brand new IS350. Relentless pursuit of perfection? Hardly.

Let's stay tuned to see if the new G35 will be going out the door for about 30 grand like you said this coming November.

I would be shocked to see the base G35 manual go for more than 34k. We'll see.
    one offers a different take on price vs. performance vs. luxury equation

Bingo!!

IS is comparable to 3er and they are in the same market segment but is definitely not a 3er with different sheetmetal and Lexus logo.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Actually, it's now the "passionate pursuit..."
    "So you are comparing the outgoing generation G35's price to the newly just re-designed IS."

Exactly what G35 model would you like me to compare to IS.

You can get a G35 stripper for $28K out the door. The IS350 stripper, if you can get it, is still $7K more expensive.
    Still, you are comparing the outgoing generation G35's price to the newly just re-designed IS. Period.

We'll see if you can get a stripped 07' G35 for $28K this coming November.

Apples to apples, peops...
    "Still, you are comparing the outgoing generation G35's price to the newly just re-designed IS. Period."

I'll repeat, exactly what G35 would you like to compare to. There is only one you can buy. Period. The price is the price. Apples to apples. My guess is Infiniti will still sell the base model at a very low price point. So they will be leader on price and performance per $$$. Lexus will be the leader on luxury. BMW will be the leader in sport.
    The 06' G35 are selling almost to 1 grand below invoice because the totally redesigned 07' are just around the corner. Do you really believe that when the 07's arrive this November they will be going out the door at 1 grand below invoice? NO. The first couple months they'll be sell at sticker and after that they'll be SLIGHTLY discounted like the current IS does. That's my point.

Just watch, I estimate Infiniti will price the G35 at $34.5K MSRP. A 2 grand increase from the current model.
    the first couple months they'll be sell at sticker and after that they'll be SLIGHTLY discounted like the current IS does. That's my point.

On what planet? The G35 was selling below MSRP on the day it went on sale. I know because I accompanied a friend who bought a 2003 on the first day the G35 was available. Sure it was only $600 below MSRP but that's still a discount.

This reminds me of the yahoos saying the BMW 335i won't sell below MSRP yet we've already seen people getting them for $1250 over invoice at Bimmerfest. Shop around...just because one dealer says MSRP, another will see a sale.

Just watch, I estimate Infiniti will price the G35 at $34.5K MSRP. A 2 grand increase from the current model.

And that'd still be markedly cheaper than an IS350 with sport and xenons. 5k cheaper.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    Just stop for a moment imperson urself an ultimate sportier, who look down to anyone not driving a manual, not care much about "feeling connected to the bumpy road", not care if the car is the "ultimate" sporty (get out of the fish bowl, it is just a 40K little league), and do care about having a little comfort/luxury. Lexus carve out a version they think some people will like and buy, what is so much to hate or be afraid?

If you are the lead in lexus division, why copy the 3 and dog fight for the same pie? as long as it fits plenty of people's need and make sales for the shareholder, this is not an olympics.

"lexus ceo lied! they lied!" for crying out loud, it is marketing, just like bimmer told u that they are the "ultimate". Darn it, I am the world champion if I run 100m in the elementary school league.
    http://infiniti.com/g_sedan/models.html

Infinti G35 starts at $31,200. Still $5K cheaper than the IS350. They are not going to raise the base price by $3,000, more probably by under a thousand. Still makes it $4K cheaper than the IS350 and will probably de-throne the 335 and IS350 at the stop light.

I don't know if this car is for you, but you can't take away the performance per dollar Infiniti brings to the table.
    Don't forget the sport suspension and xenons are standard on the 31k, G35 6MT. Moonroof's 1.1k. So 32.3k for a G35.

Put xenons, 18s and a sport suspension on an IS350 and you're at $39,700.

7400 difference! :surprise:
    Exactly!!

Lexus created the IS to give customers another option in this market segment and if IS is not your cup of tea then stick with BMW by all means.

I wonder what do the Ferrari owners think when they saw the "ultimate driving machine" commercial...
    Yeah, blueguy, if that makes you feel better, by all means. You don't need to convice me.
    No. Why should I?

The current G35 is cheaper than the IS. That's the truth. So what's your point here?

However, I don't agree with the 1 grand increment. I am sticking with my figure at $34.5K. It's pointless to argue about 07' G35's price now. How about we all make estimation and we'll see in a couple months?

Like I said, my guess is 34.5 Grand.
  • jzalkinjzalkin Member Posts: 56
    Yes. Most of these cars suck if you have 4 full size adults that need to use the seat often. For me the IS works fine. Just had two coworkers in there today - no complaints. One couldn't shut up about how great the car is.

2) Does a small sedan qualify for the "Performance" moniker if it only offers a manual transmission on its most anemic engine?
    Yes, in my book since I would not buy a manual. Fast is fast however it gets there. My A4 had zero gears (CVT) and I would say that it was a performance sedan. It comes in a manual, but why would I care since I would not by one.

Is the SLR not a sports car? It only comes in an automatic.

3) Based upon the pre-release Lexus marketing hype along with the pre-release rhetoric from Lexus management about the IS being a true 3-Series competitor, "Has the IS lived up to its pre-release billing or is it something of a joke?"
    I came down to the BMW and Lexus and chose the Lexus. Others have crossed shoped so - yes it is.
  • jzalkinjzalkin Member Posts: 56
    Here it is. I will call you out as an idiot and you will be ridiculed by all if you argue against the basic points.

Point 1: All of these cars (3 series, IS, G35, C Class, CTS, TL) belong in this group. Some are newer and some are getting long in the tooth, but they all are competition. If a lot off people cross shop a model then it IS competition. If only a few then it is not. I bet almost everyone looked at a few of these model before selecting their car.

Point 2: Different is good. It leads to choices and ability to get the best fit for them. Some difference help and some hurt. Sales will determine if a model is a success.

Point 3: Just because YOU want a feature - does not make it the end all be all definition. Just because you think a car should have a manual does not mean everyone else does. Just because the TL is not RWD, does not mean it does not belong. Get over yourself - you are not the resident expert. You are just like the rest of us posting nothing more than your OPINION. If you will only drive a manual then I guess that matters to YOU. Since the vast majority of people (BMW buyers included) do not drive a manual - that is not a criteria for selection. I could not see anyone saying "I want an automatic, but I won't look at the IS since the 350 does not offer a manual." Does anyone else see the absurdity of this argument?

Point 4: Berating others is childish just makes you look like and idiot. Enough said.

Point 5: No one car is the overall best. One may be best given certain criteria, but another criteria will put another car on top.

-----------
    I picked the IS for me. Came down to the BMW and I just didn't like it as much. I had the A4 and just didn't love the BMW with i-drive (Nav) in it.
    Couldn't say it better myself. :)

I too picked the IS over the 3er. Was also considering the TL (die hard Acura fan here), however, it is just too big for my taste. Love the handling of the 3er but its ugly interior and IS's superior engine ultimately made me choose the IS over it.
  • primetime79primetime79 Member Posts: 18

Absolutely. I am 6 feet tall. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. About two or three times a week I hva ethem in my car and they fit fine. We atually went on a 3hr roadtrip and we perefectly fine. And actually last night at a party me and my coworker picked up two blondes who were about 5 6" 5 7" and they fitted fine no complaints. Actually they sweated all aspects of the car from the navitgation, to the bluetooth, handsfree keyless entry, push button start. elegant interior, interior lighting, sound system.

I initially was adamant about getting a manual and was quite disappointed when I found out the IS will only be offered in auto. But, the auto in the IS is quick. Some people(blueguydot.com constantly post the shifting is slow in the IS. I disagree, I find it very nimble and if you read most reviews, reviewers agree.
    3) Based upon the pre-release Lexus marketing hype along with the pre-release rhetoric from Lexus management about the IS being a true 3-Series competitor, "Has the IS lived up to its pre-release billing or is it something of a joke?" The 3 series is so overrated. It wins in one category, Handling(driving feel). Every other category that matters to me and the general public I think the IS kills the BMW.
    "The 3 series is so overrated. It wins in one category,"

I guess the IS then is as overrated as the 3 series. Winning the entry level sports sedan moniker, in the entry level category is not a small feat. Yet BMW has managed to do it consistently. What you term anemic has won years of accolades in the engine category in multi-national comparisons.
    Oh coming on...he just called the 3er overrated, it's not like he said it's a "joke". Is this really necessary?

:blush: Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    I didn't call anything a "joke", but I think there is a valid point to those who are looking for a manual tranny in a segment partially called sports sedans. While I don't deny a lot us, include me, like the comfort of a slushbox, there are those who rightly like to row their own.

Disclaimer: I drove a manual for 12 years. I gave it up when my commute changed to crawl. If I were to have a "weekend car", you can bet it would have a manual tranny. But these days I want to lift my foot off the brake and crawl with the traffic.
  • stlcarguystlcarguy Member Posts: 30
    I'm just glad the guys fighting over the ES and IS have gotten it out of their system :P no offense, of course.

Let's face that this "Entry Level . . ." topic is truly wide-open out in the real world where people are doing their comparisons.

Everyone of them/us deserves the opportunity to present the factors that led to the spending of their hard earned money, even with a little pride thrown in. :)

*stepping off soapbox*
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

I'm not qualified to anser this question because I've never sat in the back of a new generation IS.

Toyota/Lexus has A LOT more money then BMW does. Even if a manual IS350 was to only make up a small percentage of sales, they could make a business case for it. An IS350 with a stick (and no doubt a MUCH sportier suspension) would get a lot of good press.

NO, it has not lived up to its marketing hype. Lexus really got me excited about this car. There are some BMW drivers out there who are dissatisfied with their 3ers for one reason or another whether it be a horrible service department, electrical problems... (on the flip side there are MANY who are extremely pleased with not only how their cars drive, but how well they run). Lexus has an impeccable reputation for customer service & quality. If they could take a small percentage of BMW owners away from their stick shift, sports package equipped 3ers they'd build on a performance reputation that will only help them grow more. How about people moving up from 6 speed, V6 Honda Accords who are "afraid" of buying a German car? There is definitely a market for an IS350 manual w/ sportier suspension.

I'll admit that acceleration was blistering when I drove the 300+ horsepower IS350 at a LEXUS driving event. The suspension was sloppy & floaty, the steering felt way too light and disconnected to the road. The brakes were touchy & artificial feeling. The lack of a manual tranmission made it even harder to swallow.

The 330iA (255hp version) equipped with Sports Package & Slushbox felt much more alive in my hands. I jumped in and it felt like the car was my own. YOu definitely felt the power deficit of the BMW. The steering was spot on. Handling was neutral. The BMW felt light on its feet. The brakes were strong and easy to modulate.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• lexus_jnlexus_jn Member Posts: 102
    I picked IS over the 3-series and TL ...Well, my fiancee indeed made that final decision :-).

We enjoyed BMW's performance but could not stand 3-series's butt and interior.

Manual tranny? I guess it's a marketing strategy...Perhaps one will come out soon. My guess is that Lexus did not want to play all the aces at once.
    A lot of pride thrown in actually...AFTER that the car you spend 40 big one on all of the sudden becomes a joke.
    I could live with the butt but couldn't convice myself to over look the interior.

IMO, I ranked the interior style as followed:

TL > IS > G > 3er
    I hear you. Taste in car interiors, like the taste in house interior are very personal. I like functional, high quality and sparse.

Lexus for their materials, does not produce an interior I like very much to drive in. And you know what...I may be in the minority, but I doubt it, and it's my money.

The CTS interior is nicer than interior in the IS350.
    Hey, you got your opinion and I got mine and we all voted with our hard earned money. I am just glad that this market segment is so competitive so each one of us can find the best car for him/herself.

Since you've mentioned the CTS...here's my new ranking:

TL > IS > G > E90 > CTS
    TL > E46 > IS > G > CTS

Domestic interior styling was never my cup of tea. Also I wouldn't have any doubt in my mind that 3er is the car for me if the E90 continued E46's interior design.
    The G's interior is an ergonomic ugly disaster. This is like discussing which ice cream flavor is best. I like peanut butter and chocolate = BMW. :)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    The G's interior is an ergonomic ugly disaster.

The 06's? I'll agree. But the interior for the '07 is far better. Check out their website for pics.
    Yeah...

Think how stupid it is if I told you your peanut butter and chocolate is overrated and my vanilla is a joke...

Totally pointless.
  • maxidrivemaxidrive Member Posts: 70
    "The CTS interior is nicer than interior in the IS350"

The new Camry interior is nicer than interior in the 3 Series! :cry:
    To all stick fans: My old Dodge Caravan was a manual, so I could it a sport vehicle, right? ;)
    They made the Dodge Caravan with manual tranny? :surprise:
    Well said, 100% agreed! :)
    Yep, got one in '88! It was my second car. My 1st car was also a stick shift, a BMW 316. I switched to automatic in '98 because my wife couldn't drive standards. At first, I had a real tough time to get adjusted, didn't know where to put my right hand and didn't know what to do with my left foot!
    Very well said! Me too, I picked the IS over the 3 Series. Test drove the Bimmer, liked very much how it rode, but got turned off big time by its ridiculously plain and cheap interior. Had the IS not come out at that time, I would have bought the Bimmer. So YES, the IS does compete with the 3 Series, and sorry to all BMW enthusiasts out there, it does take away business from BMW. I am the living proof, a BMW fan and former owner of a 3 Series.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yes, they were made for a while with a manual gear box, normally mated to a 2.5 liter four banger, with an optional blown four for the ultimate sleeper (of the era).

As for it being a "Sport Vehicle", in what context? Straight line acceleration? Well, sporty for it's day (although some of those (hightblown vans are still tearing up the quarter mile, embarrassing the owners of many "fast" cars).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yeah, as long as your not looking at the CAMRY interior. :surprise Actually they are all nice in one respect or another.

IMO BMW has the interior ergonomics and quality nailed for those who want to driver the car. If I wanted to view the interior as I sit and view the trees in my back yard I would pick the Lexus interior.

But if we're talking about "niceness" something about the CTS interior is very appealing.
    Automobile had a blurb on the 335. They got 0-60 in 5.1. Head on over to the automobilemag.com website to see their write-up.

Favorite line in the article:

Behind the wheel, you’re vaguely aware that this engine doesn’t have quite as crisp a throttle response as its normally-aspirated siblings do. But you don’t care--you’re too busy trying to hold on for dear life.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    2007 G35 packages, from g35driver:

Premium Package -- Studio on wheels sound system, Memory seats, mirrors and steering wheel, plus the usual stuff in the premium a,b,c pkg

Nav Package -- Nav, XM real time traffic (so you can't get sirius w/ navigation), flash driver w/ 9.5GB hard drive (in lieu of a CD changer, you apparently rip from the CD player to the hard drive), voice recognition, touch screen features

Tech Package -- Adaptive headlights, Rearview monitor, Intelligent cruise control

Word is that even the non-Nav models get the LCD monitor, which is nice. I don't like how the IS interior looks without the screen.