Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    dont know to many recent college grads who can pop for a 35k car. V-series-hahah- come on billy its a nice car but its not what proffesional formula one drivers are taking home from the track-- i understand your passion but please lets call it a safe play in a competitive space.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Tonight on the Merritt Pkwy, I definitely could have used one of these fine ELLPS we so politely debate about. My 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH's handling prowess is well documented. However, it definitely lacks in the power department compared to most cars of today. I was outgunned, outrun, and almost flat out ran over. Driving well above the posted speed limit in the left lane with cars in front of me (I NEVER tailgate), there was a G37 Coupe riding very close behind me. I was able to move right, left, and then right again. I knew I couldn't hold him off, so I stayed right and let him pass.

While trying to keep the G37 in my sights, I was trying to pass a Lexus RX350 and he just kept gunning it on the straights.

A G37S sedan or Acura TL-SH AWD would have suited me just fine.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    edited September 2010
    Agreed Sween... by the way my 2010 TSX V6 Tech = 35K + 2K OEM ground kit, 19" $5,800 HRE Style 445R wheels and 1K TIEN Coilovers... not too many recent College grads pony up that kind of coin... hell most can't even get a job right now! :P
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    What are they taking home- G35?
    edited September 2010
    Didn't mean it that way- I was talking from my perspective.
    I don't want to sound like I am boasting but a TSX would not make it to my long list.
    For me, I always try to upgrade on my next car purchase, through my short life here is what I have gone through-not counting the beaters I had through high school and college.
    1994 Camry ($19k)
    1999 Millenia ($23k)
    2003 TL Type S ($29K)
    2009 TL AWD TECH ($37k)
    My next purchase (God willingly) should be in the 50K- 60K range, hopefully the RL would be a V8 with AWD or I will probably shoot for a use E63 AMG.
    Please note this is not boasting, it's just personal goals I set for myself.
    Maybe a used one.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "my 2010 TSX V6 Tech = 35K + 2K OEM ground kit, 19" $5,800 HRE Style 445R wheels and 1K TIEN Coilovers."

A $44,000 TSX - You must really like Acura! :surprise:
    Fed... I love Acura! I am a big fan of the brand and think it's the most cutting edge as far as Design and Technology! Best Bang for your buck! I especially like that there arn't too many on the road! BMWs are now a dime a dozen... can't stand them! Way over priced and too costly to repair! Once that 50K warranty runs off GOOD LUCK! Bend over for the mechanic! :P

Sween... I second getting the E63 AMG Mercedes! Hopefully will own one some day when I am old and gray.. because that's prob the only way I will be able to own one!!! Gas and Insurance alone is a fortune!! :P
    edited September 2010
    I agree there are a lot of 3 series BMW's on the road, but I wouldn't call them overpriced. You can buy a 335i for less than you spent on your TSX.

As for reliability and cost of repairs, I wouldn't say a BMW 3 series will cost any more to own than an Acura. BMW's have their fair share of problems, but Acura isn't exactly known for their robust clutches, transmissions, or brakes. And let's not forget about poor paint quality, interior rattles, and failing radio/nav screens.
    You have to be joking-unreliability and BMW are like peas in a pod.
    Go check out the BMW forum- I think I saw one poster returning his 2011 5 series.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I agree, that BMW can be had a price similar to many Acura models, BUT, and this is big BUT, at the same price, the BMW is lacking many features and technology the Acura comes with at the same price. If you load up the 328 say with the same technology, features, and equipment that a tech package TSX comes with, the Bimmer is going to be a few thousands more.

Thats just the way it works out. Mercedes is the same way as BMW once loaded up with the same equipment, tech, etc as a loaded up Acura is. They both are going to cost more. And people pay that by the droves, except for Lexus, MB and BMW have the highest luxury sales b/c people flock to them because of their ridiculous prestige badge, despite having to spend more money to get that in their BMW or MB then for the same stuff in a Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus for a few to several thousand dollars less.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    this can be said about all automobile manufactures one way or another...check out the 2011 Hyundai forum.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    It's no joke. Like it or not, believe it or not, BMWs are typically very reliable over the long term. That the brand spanking new 5-Series has a very specific teething issue with the steering control software (which causes a pull to the right and has caused a number of folks to ask BMW to buy the car back) is A) not surprising given that it is a first year model, and B) cannot be used as a metric to bolster your argument that BMWs aren't reliable.

FWIW, I've had two BMWs and driven them for a combined 150,000 miles. The single unscheduled service event that I've ever had was a burned out taillight. Sounds pretty reliable in my book.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Thats just the way it works out. Mercedes is the same way as BMW once loaded up with the same equipment, tech, etc as a loaded up Acura is. They both are going to cost more. And people pay that by the droves, except for Lexus, MB and BMW have the highest luxury sales b/c people flock to them because of their ridiculous prestige badge

While I agree with a lot of what you say, your implication in the bolded text is not entirely correct. There are reasons that those badges have certain reputations. As a former Audi owner and a current Acura owner, I can tell you that the Acura has been a LOT more reliable than the Audi. But do you know what? I MISS the Audi. It inspired more passion as its interior was nicer, its handling was better, and it was more solid. But it was less reliable and cost a lot more to fix. Sit in a Mercedes and then sit in an Acura. Can you feel the difference? I can. (and no, I've never owned a MB). Different people have different preferences. Some might want reliability or more tech gadgets. Others might want better leather or a more solid feeling or a better handling drive. There are real reasons why people pick things, not only for prestige.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I have an '01 BMW 330i that I bought new in June of that year. Since the factory warranty ran out, in June 2005, I've spent a grand total of $1200 on unscheduled repairs. (Most of that went toward replacing a control arm, after I drove into the biggest pothole on the East Coast. Can't really blame that on the car.)

That works out to a little over $19 per month, or about 60 cents per day. I spend more than that on coffee.

You'll find that the 3-series is a very reliable car, particularly when it's equipped according to God's wishes - with a stick.
    Agree.
    About BMWs being unreliable and expensive to fix/maintain is just plain absurd. Not every car is perfect. For heaven's sake, my brother in law's Civic just had to have the engine replaced after it overheated, oil started gushing out from underneath it, and ceased (he's fanatical about preventitive maintenance). Should he go into the Civic forum here on edmunds and say how unreliable they are.

Yes, Acura gives you more bang for the buck if you are a tech guy. But the TSX is cheaper because it is built on a FWD Honda Accord chassis. A 3 series is built on a dedicated RWD platform which is more expensive to build & design.

Yes some people buy BMWs, MBs, Audis, Lexuses, Infinitis, Acuras... for the badges, but there are many who do drive them because there is a noticable difference in the steering, the brakes, the handling, the responsiveness.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I wasn't trying to make it out that prestige was the only reason but in regards to BMW and MB, when they are similarly equipped/packaged to their Acura, Infiniti, or even Audi counterparts are chosen a lot for the prestige factor for those thousands of dollars extra. For many, its not the only reason as you pointed out. For BMW, it could be for a combo of prestige and sport performance/dynamics as to why they chose their vehicle or say for a MB it could be a combo of prestige and luxury comfort.

Personally, Audi to me, has sales similar still to Acura and Infiniti in quantity but even Audi is different from MB and BMW in that like the japanese, they have nicely priced trim levels that include a whole bunch of features so that you don't have to get really expensive option packages or pay extra for each luxury feature you want. But then again, you have the reliability factor with them so your right that there a huge set of factors, prestige being just one of them, to consider with each luxury automaker.

I've found out recently over the years, customer service at the dealership and headquarter levels is coming into a sales factor for me because some of the companies are terrible where as others are great.
    edited September 2010
    From the sales numbers it doesn't look like many people are buying acuras at all- regardless of prestige factor you speak of. I think for 75% of these cars (in this chat) bought new are traded in within 5 years so I think the reliability factor should be discounted-unless you are looking at used. Most come with 4yr earrantee. Most keep value well regardless of reliability in this group.
    I think if your looking to spend 40k on a car - you should compare what 40k buys you. A 40k BMW 335 is not going to give you the same options as a TL but will give you better performance. It's all what your looking for - performance or convenience.
    On a side note I think audi a4's are way overpriced for size and performance.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    That works out to a little over $19 per month, or about 60 cents per day. I spend more than that on coffee.

My 1995 3 Series has 121,000 miles on it and the cost of scheduled maintenance and repairs(including four sets of summer/track rubber) averages a bit under 5 cents per mile. As for my wife's 2004 X3 2.5, at 101,000 miles the sole unscheduled repair has been a bad passenger SRS sensor- which was replaced under warranty. Maintenance costs are again averaging @5 cents per mile, and that takes into account the fact that I change the oil and filter twice as often as the SI system calls for. I better be looking for a good Chapter 7 attorney... :P
    In contrast, my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 has 64,000 miles on it and it has needed a
    LF strut, a turbocharger, and a VVT Actuator- all before it hit 50,000 miles.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited September 2010
    agree sween with most, but I was only talking about the prestige factor in regards to BMW, MB, and Lexus, not Acura. Your right, Acura sales have been pretty disappointing. If they didn't have the MDX or TSX they would be in really bad shape. Now that we know they are keeping the RL, they need to focus on that and do a complete overhaul on the thing. Its killing them right now.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    edited September 2010
    I drive a 2011 335i xDrive, traded in from a 2007 335xi. When I press on the accelerator, never mind stomp on it, it blows by, as if it was glued to the rails, by any Acura. I test drove both, and the performance, warranty and post-purchase feeling of complete peace leaves me with absolutely no regrets. I had really thought about driving the Super Handling what's-it-called, but the AWD handling of the xDrive is so good that it's not worth it.

Acura is good, but whether the marque will endure with serious enthusiasts is debatable.
    Wait. Are you saying you didn't drive the TL SH-AWD?
    Even an Acura NSX- wake up and smell the coffee before you start generalizing.
    Acura NSX? Is that even a car anymore? Seriously, I thought they stopped producing that thing years ago.
    I saw some pics of the new one, I am not sure if its going to make production.
    Point is- a five year old NSX will blow the doors off a 335XI.
    Let's see here, forgetting for a moment that the NSX in 2005 cost well over twice the price of a 2011 335i, comparing a purpose built two-seat sports car to a four-door family/sports sedan isn't a terribly relevant exercise. That said, my bet is that a 2011 335i SP will take it to the NSX on any number of tracks, maybe even the majority of tracks. I mean geez, a couple of years ago Honda sponsored a race on a tight road course in Japan to compare their various performance cars, and a JDM Civic SI gave the NSX all it could handle. In the end, the NSX would run away on the straights and the Civic would just reel it back in on the twisty bits.
    dont get it.. the NSX was a supercar-- just like 5 years from now the a 2010 GTR will outdo a Bmw 3 series-
    I've always thought a better old school "comparison" to the 335i is the Nissan 300ZX turbo.

20 years ago, Nissan built a $35,000 300 hp 3.0 litre 6 cylinder twin-turbo RWD 3500 lb. sports car. Three years ago, BMW built a 4-door version.
  • eclipse2eclipse2 Member Posts: 64
    You are wrong! I have been buying Acura's from 1991 to 2008 I got sick of the no power I had the 2008 TL type s before that I had the 2006 RL and the 2007 MDX and before that 2003 TL type s the funny thing the MDX was the fastest....lol I got rid of the 2008 TL for the Lexus IS-f got rid of the 2007 MDX for the 2008MB GL550 my wifes!! and got rid of the RL for the 2010 MB E550 all these cars drive way better then any Acura can think about I was waiting for the RL to come out with a V8 back in 2009 didn't happen and then they come out with that new nose...lmao prestige has nothing to do with it getting better designs and RWD and POWER which Acura don't have..
    I have been buying Acura's from 1991 to 2008 I got sick of the no power I had the 2008 TL type s before that I had the 2006 RL and the 2007 MDX and before that 2003 TL type s the funny thing the MDX was the fastest....lol I got rid of the 2008 TL for the Lexus IS-f got rid of the 2007 MDX for the 2008MB GL550 my wifes!! and got rid of the RL for the 2010 MB E550 all these cars drive way better then any Acura can think about I was waiting for the RL to come out with a V8 back in 2009 didn't happen and then they come out with that new nose...lmao prestige has nothing to do with it getting better designs and RWD and POWER which Acura don't[sic]have..

Wow. I've been an Edmunds member since the fall of '98 - 12 years ago - & that's the longest single sentence I've ever seen here.

Congrats!
    edited September 2010
    If you had read the second post I put up, I said prestige was not the sole and only factor but it has a lot to do with the BMW and MB choices. If you don't think so then your just kidding yourself and if you looked closely at what I was comparing and talking about it was vehicles that were comparably equipped between the German and Japanese automakers. That means, same size engines, features, technology, etc. The Germans are always going to cost a few thousand more. It is more a statement of fact then opinion. That is just the way it is.

Your absolutely right that Acura currently has lacked in the hardcore sport performance offerings of RWD and V8 but not every body needs that. I certainly have no issues with performance out of my 3G TL's but not everyone is so happy and wants more. If you want sport performance with a V8 and RWD go get a BMW or Infiniti, plain and simple. That is why there are choices in the luxury market.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Love the 300ZX turbo...almost bought one (used).

1990 -- $35,000 = $58,000 in 2010 dollars.

I remember by mid 90's they were selling for around $50k...which = $71k in todays dollars.

Makes the 370Z look like a bargain (even the 3 series)...of course there are new features, equipment, safety on the new models...different times of course.

Wasn't cheap.
    Same here. I wanted a 300ZX turbo bad - and later, the Supra Turbo. Every now and then, I see a super clean one on the road and still think about maybe finding one.

But you're right. The 300ZX turbo, RX7 Turbo, Supra Turbo and 3000GT were too expensive in their day. Nobody wanted to pay German money for a Japanese car. Looking back though, it's amazing how ahead of their time these cars were.
    Agreed. A buddy of mine has a 2010 335XI and just had the Steering Column replaced at 5,500 miles ? ? ? ? Huh? WTF! :lemon: I know plenty of people who own BMWs and have had nothing but problems including major electrical issues. In fact my one buddy had to keep replacing his headlight bulbs on his 330XI every 6 - 9 months or so because they kept burning out! They couldn't pinpoint what the problem was. After 50K kiss your [non-permissible content removed] good bye! Brakes alone are $1,500!! Run flats standard! Pony up another $1,500! Whatever good luck! :P
    LOL!
    My co-worker had the 528I- he said the car spent half its life at dealership, he finally traded it in for the ES350.
    All you folks are doing is to further the urban legends where folks say stuff like, "My brother-in-law's sister's ex-boy friend's great uncle had a problem with his BMW, therefore they're all crap!"

The fact is, every car maker has issues on occasion, Acura included (thinking transmissions here among other foibles). As a suggestion, unless you can say something positive and helpful to the group, don't say it at all.

Like it or don't, believe it or not, many-many of us have owned and driven BMWs for many tens (and even hundreds) of thousands of miles with nor or very minimal issues.
    We have to say both- positive and negative to enlighten potential buyers.
    I had the 2003 TL Type S, the car was bullet proof for 30K miles then the transmission gave way-repalced under warranty (according to dealer).
    Only one transmission? I guess your car was one of the lucky ones. :)
    Uh...read Consumer Reports. Acura = all RED meaning "Highly Recommended" (That goes for over 75% of the Acura Fleet!) and highest resale value! and BMW & Audi = Black or Clear Circle meaning they still have problems! Dah!
    Easy, big fella. I've been a subscriber to CR since the 1970s, & as I write this, I'm looking at the April 2010 Annual Auto Issue. For the 3-series BMW, CR's "New-Car Prediction" is "Better than Average", which happens the be the same rating that CR gives to the Acura TL & which also happens to beat the "Average" rating that the Toyota Camry V-6 gets.

The 5-series BMW's rating is only "Average", but that's mainly because of problems that owners have had with its sound system. The critical major systems - engine, transmission, fuel system, electrical system, etc. - get mostly "Much Better than Average", with a few getting "Better than Average". And let's face it: a bum car stereo is annoying but it won't leave you stranded 500 miles from home.
    edited September 2010
    Many folks, myself included, consider Consumer Reports data highly-HIGHLY suspect. So much so that when they declared the 2002 530i the "best car we've ever tested", I nearly cancelled the order I placed on a 2002 530i SP 5-Speed the week before they made said declaration.
    Not just that, but there seems to be problem with the wheel alignment on the new 5-Series. There is a discussion on edmunds talking about it and I've seen it mentioned on two other sites as well. Hope BMW gets a fix quick for it b/c so far no luck according to the new owners.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited September 2010
    Like it or don't, believe it or not, many-many of us have owned and driven BMWs for many tens (and even hundreds) of thousands of miles with nor or very minimal issues.

Don't spoil their fun, they need those urban legends to justify their "sour grapes" attitude...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

That's why I avoid buying the 1st year of a new model. Even so, I'm confident that BMW will come up with a fix.
    As I understand it, the issue isn't the alignment of the new 5-Series per-se, it is a software issue. I'm curious to find out what has changed between the prototype models and the production models that would cause such an issue.
    well the software glitch is causing an alignment issue since owners are reporting the cars are pulling to the right as I understand it; they say BMW has issued a fix for the software problem but many drivers who had it applied are still getting the pull :confuse:
    Not to worry, they'll get it right. :)
    Infiniti just announced pricing for the G25. $31,XXX. 7 speed automatic only, no sport suspension. So what will this G25 top out at? $34K? I'm out.

An almost fully loaded G37S w/ six speed stick stickers for $39,XXX & sells for what, $35-36K?

I'll take 108 extra horsepower for $2000 please Alex