Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Yes I think you do. In fact I'll post the first one.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=104670

Note in the article where they talk about build and quality materials.

"What you call clutter, others call "necessity." ;) "

Yes, and still others call clutter. :)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    You wouldn't say that the Lexus IS350 or Acura TL has much softer seats than a 3 series?
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    If you are talking about Interiors then you've gotta be mad to compare Acura/Infiniti/Lexus' interior with Buick's. IMO these three's interior are better than Bimmer's (okay, maybe not Infiniti's), nevertheless Buick's.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,498
    I can't say that I recall the firmness of the 3 seats, but if they are significantly harder than a TL, ouch! They must be filled with solid wood! :) I find my TL seats far from soft. Of course, I did come from a Chrylser 300M whose seats I found lovely, but much softer than the TL.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

You wouldn't say that the Lexus IS350 or Acura TL has much softer seats than a 3 series?

Yes, but as soft as the Buick? I don't think so.

Also, a car's interior isn't just the seats. It also includes the dash, center console and many others. Beside paying extra for the metallic paint one also needs to pay extra to get genuine leather seat in 3-series. As for Lexus, genuine leather is standard throughout the lineup
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Beside paying extra for the metallic paint one also needs to pay extra to get genuine leather seat in 3-series. As for Lexus, genuine leather is standard throughout the lineup"

Saying it another way you can build the car the way you want and pay for only those options that make a difference for you.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I find my TL seats far from soft

I second that. The TL's thigh bolsters are hard. Can't wait til they soften up after some use.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    When I test drove both the TL (which I bought) and the BMW 330 in 2004, I remember the BMW seats to be way too hard for me, much harder than the TL's and that's saying something. The dash was too spartan for me as well.

I believe there are 'driving enhusiasts' who want seats that hard. For me though, a good (not great) performer with comfort is the best mix.

Those making generalizations like 'your opinion is in the minority' one way or the other lose credibility in my view. If you talk mostly to enthusiasts, the BMW seats are just right and you will feel those of us who like the mixture are in the minority. I see it the other way. I have no way of quantifying it and I think others have no way either.

As has already been said, it's what is best for each individual, not what anyone else thinks is best (even if they are in the minority ;) ).
    aargh, I couldn't say it better :D .
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    Well, pupap, the IS350 is a nice car, assuming you can fit inside one. When I test drove one, my head was touching the liner no matter how I adjusted the seat. The salesman suggested that I tilt it back - sorry. I am not tall (6'0) but have this problem in the GS as well. Judging by comments on this board and others, Toyota/Lexus seems to have much more of an issue here than most other brands. I have never had this problem in a BMW. It is good that you like your IS, and also good that (apparently) you fit.
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    I agree wholeheartedly that it's not just
    about the seats. I've been researching and
    checking the interiors on these cars, meaning
    the dash layouts, instrumentation, even the
    styling contours of the seats. These are my
    basic likes and dislikes in regard to the
    the cars that I am eyeing when my lease is up.

Acura TL: Love the interior looks of this
    car all the way from the electric blue
    instrumentation, the entire dash layout, and
    I think the contour of the front bucket seats
    are gorgeous. Right now, the only thing
    I wish the TL had was the auto-headlights and
    split fold rear seat.

The current Nissan Maxima: The fact that my
    2002 Maxima has been an excellent car for
    four years would probably always keep this
    car on my radar. I know the styling to
    many people out there is subjective
    inside and out on this car, but I still like
    it.

Lexus IS250/350: It's a beautiful car, but..
    It's just too small for my tastes.

BMW 325/330: While I really like the
    exterior styling, especially with the sport
    package, i.e., wider tires and such, I really
    am not crazy about the interior dash layout/
    design. It's what keeps this car down on the
    list for me. I really feel that the previous
    generation 3 series had a much better looking
    dash layout/design.

The Infiniti G35/coupe: Love these cars, but
    not crazy about the mpg's with today's gas
    prices. I'd rather get the TL or the Maxima
    with a little bit less hp and more mpg's.

Just my two cents!
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    What can i say, I think i agree with your interior assessments across the board. What do you think of the relative handling of the TL/IS/330?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The person doing 100+ passes you in a flash. If people in the USA obeyed the worldwide (save for the uk and those jerks in switzerland) view that the left lane is for faster traffic, you wouldn't have to worry. Left lane campers ruin driving and endanger everybody. If people would keep to the right we'd all be safer. Unfortunately, the cell phone people camp out in the left lane, talk with their kids, watch dvds and in general ignore everything going on behind them. And in front of them too!

Amen!

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    One of my closest calls ever happened when I tried to merge onto an expressway in Connecticut; the merger was from the left. The speed limit was 50 mph, and the idiot who almost slammed into me was doing at least 80. I had to go into the left shoulder to avoid getting nailed, and then had to wait almost a minute for traffic to clear before getting back onto the highway.

We have some interchanges like that here in the Chicago area. There are two on I290 and few in downtown Chicago. Very dumb design IMO. If the faster traffic is to keep left then you can't put merging traffic on the highway in the left lane. I don't know how that got by the engineers who designed these interchanges. Illinois has gone so far as to pass laws about the left lane and its specific uses in the last few years. Luckily the City of Chicago is eliminating most of the left handers on I94 in downtown Chicago, but the ones on I290 are here to stay I guess for the time being.

M
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,129
    One of my closest calls ever happened when I tried to merge onto an expressway in Connecticut; the merger was from the left. The speed limit was 50 mph, and the idiot who almost slammed into me was doing at least 80. I had to go into the left shoulder to avoid getting nailed, and then had to wait almost a minute for traffic to clear before getting back onto the highway.

80 is kinda slow as far as Connecticut goes.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Ahhh, i remember years back, my girlfriend was driving my car (then a saturn sl2) onto the dan ryan in downtown chicago via one of the left-hand entrances. She panicked at the bottom and hit the brakes. Cars were whizzing by on the right, not far from my fragile person, and i was wondering what the heck she was going to do.

From behind, i saw a big black bmw shooting down the ramp. He passed by us on the left doing at least seventy, sucking my car several inches to the left, and uneventfully merged into traffic.

I remember thinking, "I need to get me one of THOSE!"
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I remember thinking, "I need to get me one of THOSE!"

And a new girlfriend that knows how to drive! ;)
    Haha! If i run into Danica Patrick i will be sure to chat her up. :)

dave
  • allargonallargon Posts: 75
    I'm surprised no one posted how the Jaguar X-type got named wimpiest car in its class by Business Week. Moreover, I'm surprised none of the Lexus, Infiniti, Acura crowd is crowing about how the Cadillac CTS, BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-class were all named near misses.

From http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060616_655394.htm

"Jaguar X-Type

Segment: Luxury Sport Sedan
    Engine: 3 Liter V6
    Horsepower: 227
    Cost: $32,330
    Gas mileage: 18/24 (city/highway)
    Near misses: Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac CTS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Though the X-Type does have 12 more horsepower than a base BMW 3 Series, it also costs more ($32,330 vs. $30,900). But that doesn't matter because the 3, like other class competitors -- the Audi A4, Cadillac CTS, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class -- makes better use of what it has under the sheet metal. Drive-wise, the soft-handling X-Type doesn't get close to the gold-standard 3 or sharp-witted and well-powered upstarts like the CTS, which packs 255 horses over the X-Type's 227. And though the ride is Jaguar-comfortable, the interior materials aren't what you'd expect from the venerable mark. There's nothing worse than hoping to rest your superiority complex on a classic and elegant British inter1ior only to have a lackluster cabin leave you hanging."
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938

I have to say, that was your own fault. You do realize that the folks already on the freeway have the right of way? It's your responsibility to get up to the proper speed to merge with traffic! It doesn't matter what the speed limit is.