Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Can you explain how the TL, G and IS look alike interior wise?
  • edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    Thanks - Great photos. Except one. The Audi photo looks much poorer quality than the others.

I don't know if I get to comment as I am mainly a lurker here (but a respectable lurker), but I think the TL and the IS are the most pleasing dashes - they are a little too lux for me, but they are soooothing. The Audi and BMW gauges are by far the best. There is something about no nonsense, somewhat retro teutonic guages that evoke high end machines to me. Wood interiors on these smaller German cars seem to clash with their bauhaus, glass and steel Messerschmidt effect.

Purple and baby blue colors on gauges just seem like sacriledge to me. Except they fit perfectly on the G. For the life of me, I cannot figure out Infiniti's love of flashy, old lady-oriented interior glitz (that clock looks like a women's watch). Infiniti interiors spell Liberace and Myrtle Beach retirement communities for me. The Cadillac. Yes my fellow Americans, we have met the enemy and he is us.

BTW, I think Saab fits here but you have to sit in the wrap around Saab interior to appreciate it's slavic modernism.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,210
    . . .they fit perfectly on the G. For the life of me, I cannot figure out Infiniti's love of flashy, old lady-oriented interior glitz (that clock looks like a women's watch). Infiniti interiors spell Liberace and Myrtle Beach. . .

I've enjoyed the discussions of interiors & gauges, but didn't comment until now. I completely agree with what you posted.

And then, to top it off, I don't find the CTS interior so offensive as everyone else apparently does.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Well not everybody. :blush But with car interiors/exteriors the photos never seem to do them justice, either positive or negative. The BMW interior pales in comparison. Yet when I get in a BMW interior it is all about the driving, even i-drive. I love the orange gauges. The Lexus feels like my living room, I want to recline and go to sleep.

It's interesting to read about peoples preferences when it comes to cars.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Actually if you want to go by the best interiors of late I'd say Nissan/Infinti have the most modern looking interiors. BMW, and Audi, use to have the best but it seems they as of late let Ray Charles, design them. :surprise:

My favoritest interior of all the cars made for model year 2007' is the Volvo S80's. Volvo, has arguably the best interior design I've ever seen with the new S80.
    It is a real "eye-stopper" of modern art. :shades:

Rocky
    I love Ray Charles. Really don't like "modern" interiors like Nissan, Infiniti is more upscale easier to like.

The BMW interiors are classic, meant for driving, not lounging. No visual clutter, no visual distraction. Controls are easy to use, easy to find.
    Well these are my opinions and unfortunately I can't help the blinde. :P

BMW, interiors lack a artistic design. Yuk !!!!

Rocky
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    So would you recommend the new E320 Bluetec?

Yes I would. The E has supposedly been gutted for 07 and should prove to be more reliable, but sadly the reality of buying a Mercedes is that reliabilty isn't a given anymore. That said........

My marketing director has a 2005 E320 CDI which she likes, but it has had more problems in two years than her former E300 Turbodiesel had in four years.

The main things I've seen about these is that people are getting "bad gas" according to service advisors. Last week while getting a service I was talking with a E320 CDI owner and she said the service adviser told her which stations to avoid. Despite this she said she would be getting a ML320 CDI.

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I like the BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, Mercedes and Cadillac in that order.

M
  • BMW, interiors lack a artistic design. Yuk !!!!

Artistic design?

"Art is useless, so is a flower." - Oscar Wilde

I know car manus spend millions on exterior design and interior layouts. Yet not a single car in this class is even remotely attractive on the outside. As far as interior's the e46 had the best interior of all of them by a longshot. Now that it's gone we're stuck with the current faux pas that pass as interiors. Not a single one of the interiors shown above is driver-centric enough. They play to the rest of the car's passengers. The e46 with it's tighter design, titled-toward-the-driver dash, low beltline (god how I love riding in friends and family member's e46s) and controls right-at-hand epitomizes what these interiors should be.

Visually, I couldn't care less - as long as there is no wood anywhere. I just want everything of importance - gauges, controls, HVAC, stereo pointed at me. The passengers can look out the window. Function over form - the driver is king of the domain, so therefore all functions should be aimed at pleasing the driver.
  • ""Art is useless, so is a flower." - Oscar Wilde

Well said Mr. Wilde.

"Yet not a single car in this class is even remotely attractive on the outside. "
    "Visually, I couldn't care less - as long as there is no wood anywhere. "

I don't think Mr. Wilde was following you when he made that statement. ;)
    I don't think Mr. Wilde was following you when he made that statement.

LOL

I agree "blue" that the E46 had a artistic interior, then the school of the blinde had shop class and started designing current BMW designs. :shades:

Rocky
  • Spartacus, the point I made by saying:

Yet not a single car in this class is even remotely attractive on the outside.

I still bought one of these cars, even though visually it's ugly. It reminds me of a melted Buick. Like all the cars in this class the e90 is just plain dowdy, slab sided and not the least bit interesting. Ditto the TL, C, IS, CTS, G35, etc. Even if a car is nice to look at, the would in no fashion influence my purchase. The interior needs to have zero wood and be driver oriented. Beyond that, I couldn't care much less if there's a navigation screen or a digital readout like KITT's. Just make it functional and lacking anything that is or appears to be wood-like. Wood belongs on furniture, not a piece of machinery.
    Good quality wood can belong inside a car. It add class IMHO. However the new "metals" we see inside cars today also do the same. i.e. brushed aluminum. ;)

Rocky
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,493
    "the driver is king of the domain..."

You must not be married...! ;)

And I have to disagree, I find the TL (that I own) to be a very handsome vehicle from almost any angle. The first Acura since the original Legend Coupe with any kind of style, imho. The NSX, while apparently a wonderful car, didn't do anything for me style-wise.

In this group, to me the only car that is severly challenged style-wise is the CTS. YMMV

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

"Well these are my opinions and unfortunately I can't help the blinde. :P"

I may be blind, but until you give me the money and tell me what car to buy, this is my opinion and I am sticking to it.
    I may be blind, but until you give me the money and tell me what car to buy, this is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

ROTFLMAO, yes you have that right. ;) As far as the money part, I wished I could help you out. It would perhaps make you able to see a lil' more clearly. :P

Rocky :D
  • I understand your point blueguydotcom. I was just having a little fun with Wilde's famous "art is useless" premise.
  • Good quality wood belongs on furniture. Wood in a car looks tacky;in a Lexus or a Bentley, it still looks out of place and poseur-ish.
  • You must not be married...!

Live-in girlfriend I will probably marry by the end of 2007. She understands that in her car I do things by her rules (and she buys crazy things like seat heaters and automatic transmissions). In the house I defer to her - save for my office. In my car: it's my domain...she fully understands that driving is my thing. Luckily we share the same passion for restaurants, movies and the NFL.

The NSX, while apparently a wonderful car, didn't do anything for me style-wise.

Ah, the NSX cockpit was the bomb. Yummy.