Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Why I want 18"? It looks better.

Yes, I got a stripped IS350 but luckily the stripped IS350 offers almost everything that I wanted. It'll be perfect if it comes with Xenon. Don't need memory seats or auto wipers. Most importantly the stripped IS comes with comfort access and REAL leather. I wouldn't mind to get a stripped 335i if it's equipped like the IS even though it's $2K more.

By the way, I want everything in the premium package except bluetooth and heated seats so the "want-$20-but-ran-up-to-$1200" analogy doesn't make sense in my case. Come to think about it if I can get the 18" without sports package I could live without the paddle shifter. But first I would like to find out how much is the stand alone 18" option cost. If it's not far from $1,600 then there is no point. Of course it'll hurt the resale value and there's always someone wants a Lexus too, they are just not your kind of people. ;)

ED sounds fun but it's just not my cup of cake.

I think we are all mistaken the point of discussion here. In my original post I wasn't trying to compare 2 equal-equipped IS350 and 335i. I was comparing my ideal IS350 to my ideal 335i. It turns out the IS350 for me is base + 18" but the ideal 335i requires premium + sports + auto + comfort access + metallic. That's how I come up with the $10K difference.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I think that most folks around here, are not inclined to think of Saabs as "Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans". I know that after any number of test drives of 93s and 95s, I certainly don't, in spite if the fact that they can be had with three pedals under the dash.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,395
    "You must shift like my sister" RLMFAO!

louiswei: You say that Ed isn't an option for you, but you have what seems like a decent amount of free time to go and test drive the G35 Sport and 335i :P Plus wasted 2 salesman's precious time.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Yeah, couldn't go anywhere during this holiday season because I am taking 2 weeks vacation in February to go to Taiwan for the Chinese New Year Celebration.

Air fare and lodging also cost money ya know...

:P
  • I don't know why you would say this, Saab has an unparalleled record for safety, performance, progressive technologies.

It's not luxury bling like the "in your face brands, such as Mercedes, BMW or Lexus", but I think that's a good thing.

It's got all you need, it just does not need to show it.

The price certainly depicts entry-level.

I guess I am confused as to why you are saying this. Could you back this up?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,620
    Born from Jets :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Folks,

At least "kyfdx" knows what the current successful slogan is.

I would like to hear your statements on why Saab should not be in this category.
    Anybody whom knows Saab history know that slogan is FOS.

That's like saying Mitsubishi is born from Jets too and Rolls Royce actually use turbine technology to create their cars...

By the way, since now Honda builds airplanes too so all Hondas are "born from jets".

:confuse:
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I have no worry's because the 08' won't be a failure. ;)

Rocky
    saabhistory,

I believe Saabs belong even though many as you've seen disagree. Saabs have as much performance if not more performance than a Acura TL, and many even believe that car belongs so I don't see how they could say Saabs don't belong and I honestly believe that it has more to do with the anti-GM bias instead of the stats of the car. ;)

Okay I'm prepared to get attacked. :sick:

Rocky
  • The Acura doesn't need a turbocharger to develop its horsepower. Haven't test drove or revved up the Saab's engine, but its 4 cyl. is probably a screamer at high revs. And how will it hold up after 60,000 miles + ?

Where does a Saab have 'more performance' than a TL?
  • Most of Saab's high end lineup are all V6's with twin-scroll Turbochargers.

Take a look at their statistics, not all 4-cylinders.
    The Saab 4 cylinder is a "WARDS" Top-10 engine.

Well for 2007' the Saab still offers a manual gearbox while the TL doesn't. The Saab will also out accelerate and handle about as well as the TL using 4WS technology. Saabs also to a certain degree have as much if not more luxury than many of the cars in this segment.

I say the brand belongs in the discussion is all. :)

Rocky
    Very true.....I personally can't wait to see the 08 or 09' 9-5 photo's. Perhaps you know better than I do when the next 9-5 is coming out. I've now heard 09' for the first time today but have seen 08' many times. :confuse:

Regardless the next 9-5 should be sweeeet followed by a sweeeeet 9-3 in 09' or 2010' :blush:

Rocky
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "It's got all you need, it just does not need to show it."

Oh please, spare me the rhetoric. I drove both the 2.0T and the Aero 9-3 as well as the 2.3T 9-5, and all three cars were..., underwhelming at best. True, the Saabs go, stop and turn better than most pedestrian cars, however, unlike the "in your face brands..." (a little biased are we?) I certainly wouldn't want to make a pilgrimage to a local track event in any Saab that I've ever driven. That said, I don't think I'd be inclined to visit a track in an MB or Lexus either, but I'd be WAY more inclined to use one of them than a Saab.

Like it or don't, Saabs are not now, nor have they ever been considered "Performance" cars by most driving enthusiasts.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Why I want 18"? It looks better.

Wow. you don't care about handling but you care that the wheels look better. Okey dokey. I couldn't tell you what the wheels look like on my 330i ZSP. They're simply wheels.

But first I would like to find out how much is the stand alone 18" option cost.

Tirerack.com. You would sell your brand new rims and tires which are RFTs - that's gonna net you at least $1500. New rubber 18s and rims of your choosing can cost any amount you want.

• Air fare and lodging also cost money ya know...

Airfare = free. Got enough FF miles right now to fly myself and my girl to Europe. By next February I hope to have enough for business class - assuming I get another bimmer or we decide to make a vacation of it. My ideal - fly out Sunday, land in Munich Monday AM, pick up the car, drop it off and fly home that day. Be home late Monday night.
  • If Acura's TSX had a turbo in 03, i woulda bought one without a moment's hesitation. That RDX's engine - a turbo - seems like a beauty. Much like the sublime engines of VW/Audi. Mmm, turbos.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Much like the TSX, the 9-3 is certainly an ELLPS. It's just that after a 4 year production run, they are simply no longer competitive in this class.

I think Car and Driver summed up the Saab 9-3 Aero best in last year's 8 car sport sedan comparison test:

"A shifter with tighter spacing and firmer detents would help the 9-3. A steering rack with less friction and more feedback would heighten our enjoyment. Body roll and structure flex distracted us with vibrations through the seats and floorboards. Over bumps the 9-3 stepped heavily with hard impacts that sent quivers through the body. Where's the real Saab? Surely not here in last place."
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Not to take sides on your debate with blueguydotcom, but after reading through these posts, I do believe that your personal price comparison between a stripped IS350 and loaded 335i is disingenous at best, deceitful at worst. Maybe not for you personally, based upon your "ideal" configuration. But that $10k difference that you come up with is not something that 1% of other buyers would ever experience - and claim that both cars are comparably equiped based upon their own preferences.

Also, although I knew you were less of a "driving enthusaist" than me (my manual transmission requirement vs. your acceptance of an auto), I didn't realize that you were that ambivalent to driving dynamics. If that's the case, I'm not sure why you aren't driving a TL, which would have saved you another $5-7k+ AND given you a boatlaod of standard equipment that the IS350 lacks. Apples to apples, that's the only $10k difference we have here, far greater than the difference between the IS350 and 335i. If the handling, steering and other dynamic advantages of that sport package equiped 335i are not worth anything to you, than neither should the fact that the TL is FWD be a detraction, given that its actual on road handling, steering, etc. is at least comparable to the IS.

In your cost comparison, what I would see as significant performance and feature differences are deemed irrelevant by you. Yet you are willing to pay more for an aesthetic wheel upgrade than I would have paid for on my "other" car. It seems to me that your cost benefit analysis of the IS350 vs. 335i is based heavily on image and not a lot on substance. Which is certainly your perogative, but I don't think it is typical of ELLPS shoppers. Certainly not the ones that are "P" oriented, but probably not even the "L" oriented ones.