Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,979
    the merritt everyday & my '01 Prelude Type SH loves every second of it

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,720
    I lived (left CT many moons ago) just off the Merritt, but would go out of my way to drive it over 95. No commercial traffic, beauty (interesting bridges), curves and undulations, just a nice drive! Exit 41, how I miss ye!

I'm sure my '05 TL would agree. Anyone here old enough to remember the Greenwich tolls on the Merritt?

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,189
    laura dont remember the greenwitch tool but do remember the 25cent tool on the hutch. you must really like to drive if you would go out of your way to test your skills on the merrit.... kudos to you..
  • I spent months researching performance sedans, Lexus, Audi, BMW, Acura. The fit and finish, initial appearance and value of CTS sold me so I took delivery about a week ago.
    Importantly, my local dealer, Dew Caddilac in St. Petersburg, Florida bent over backwards to exceed my expectations. We'll see how the car goes as the months lead on, but for now at least I'm super excited and pleased to be part of an American car buying experience.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,677
    Congrats, beautiful car.
    Congrats! Nice car dude! What color did you get?

• 22332233 Posts: 64
    As was mentioned by someone else, this thread is not listed on the Infiniti page.
  • 22332233 Posts: 64
    After a terrible experience with Acura Customer Service re my TL transmission failing, I sold my TL for salvage.

Acura offerred to pay $500 out of $5100 for a new tranny. what a joke.

I wrote them last week and said they could instead send me a check for $500 and I would not be so disgruntled. After an Ingrid said she would try to accomodate this request, she phoned me today and so they would not issue me a check for $500. Shows that they just escalated the tranny price.

Smooth move Acura. I would have bought my daughter a new Accord last week but instead I bought her a new Altima.

My brother was considering an MDX and he will buy either a Lexus, Infiniti, or Nissan.

My other brother just bought a G37 instead of a TL.

This $500 cost Acura/Honda 3 new car sales with more to come. Unbelievable and incredibly short sighted.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I'm just curious, what model year and how many miles did your TL have when the tranny blew?
  • jtlajtla Posts: 375
    edited September 2010
    Look again. There is (#6 on the list)!!

2011 TL choices

Edit: I automatically thought about 6-speed manual transmission. Did you mean 6-speed automatic transmission? In that case, you are right. I guess you have to wait until mid-cycle refresh.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    We are expecting it for the MMC 2012 TL refreshing which has been pushed up 6 months early to April or May 2011. The 2011 TL is only going to have a short 6-8 month time frame rather than the normal 1 yr.

Thank the lord the grill is being reduced and changed for the 2012 TL since that seems to be most people's gripes, mine included.
    You know, it is hard to tell, but I believe in ACura's marketing materials (website, brochures) they have the accessory sport grill on the TL. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

• Isn't the sport grill and the regular grill the same only different colors?
    I love my grill- looks real aggresive on the highways!!!!!
    Good to see acura addressing it's beak problems - 4 years into the current car- just wondering why it took so long- same could be said of the transmission I guess. 30k cars a year had to be born with that beak_•_ if they only held some focus groups before they released this car they would still be considered a player. Maybe 2012s will bring back the brand. Enjoy the CT highways billy
  • I will be the first one at the dealer+ to swap my grill out- yeah right.
    I will be the first one at dealer to swap my quad pipes out- yeah right.
    not with all your modifications I agree but it looks like the word is getting to acura design team
  • It's still ugly as all get out! I can't wait for the new redesign!!! Not sure where Acura is going here with their designs but obviously the sales numbers are proving nowhere! My 2007 TLS will hopefully be replaced with it...hopefully.. with my fingers crossed! I love Acura in fact recently purchased a second car 2010 TSX Tech Blk / Tan. Love the car! It was more subdued than the TL. The TL is just too bulky and drove like a caddie on steroids! Oh well... enough of my bitchin'. Acura please make the next gen TL more appealing!!! :)
  • I had the TSX for a loaner- 2010 V6, while they were installing several accessories on my TL- nice car for a recent college grad, but I could not wait to back in my TL.
    You also mentioned that the TL drove like a caddy-did you drive the AWD? That car does not have the slightest feel of a caddy (maybe the V-series). I was watching the speed channell and saw where they were revieiwing the TL AWD. It was a proffesional formula one driver and the host driving seperate TL's.These guys were punishing the cars, raving on how well the car handles for its size.
    dont know to many recent college grads who can pop for a 35k car. V-series-hahah- come on billy its a nice car but its not what proffesional formula one drivers are taking home from the track-- i understand your passion but please lets call it a safe play in a competitive space.
    Tonight on the Merritt Pkwy, I definitely could have used one of these fine ELLPS we so politely debate about. My 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH's handling prowess is well documented. However, it definitely lacks in the power department compared to most cars of today. I was outgunned, outrun, and almost flat out ran over. Driving well above the posted speed limit in the left lane with cars in front of me (I NEVER tailgate), there was a G37 Coupe riding very close behind me. I was able to move right, left, and then right again. I knew I couldn't hold him off, so I stayed right and let him pass.

While trying to keep the G37 in my sights, I was trying to pass a Lexus RX350 and he just kept gunning it on the straights.

A G37S sedan or Acura TL-SH AWD would have suited me just fine.

• gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    edited September 2010
    Agreed Sween... by the way my 2010 TSX V6 Tech = 35K + 2K OEM ground kit, 19" $5,800 HRE Style 445R wheels and 1K TIEN Coilovers... not too many recent College grads pony up that kind of coin... hell most can't even get a job right now! :P
  • What are they taking home- G35?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    edited September 2010
    Didn't mean it that way- I was talking from my perspective.
    I don't want to sound like I am boasting but a TSX would not make it to my long list.
    For me, I always try to upgrade on my next car purchase, through my short life here is what I have gone through-not counting the beaters I had through high school and college.
    1994 Camry ($19k)
    1999 Millenia ($23k)
    2003 TL Type S ($29K)
    2009 TL AWD TECH ($37k)
    My next purchase (God willingly) should be in the 50K- 60K range, hopefully the RL would be a V8 with AWD or I will probably shoot for a use E63 AMG.
    Please note this is not boasting, it's just personal goals I set for myself.
    Maybe a used one.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "my 2010 TSX V6 Tech = 35K + 2K OEM ground kit, 19" $5,800 HRE Style 445R wheels and 1K TIEN Coilovers."

A $44,000 TSX - You must really like Acura! :surprise:
  • Fed... I love Acura! I am a big fan of the brand and think it's the most cutting edge as far as Design and Technology! Best Bang for your buck! I especially like that there arn't too many on the road! BMWs are now a dime a dozen... can't stand them! Way over priced and too costly to repair! Once that 50K warranty runs off GOOD LUCK! Bend over for the mechanic! :P

Sween... I second getting the E63 AMG Mercedes! Hopefully will own one some day when I am old and gray.. because that's prob the only way I will be able to own one!!! Gas and Insurance alone is a fortune!! :P
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited September 2010
    I agree there are a lot of 3 series BMW's on the road, but I wouldn't call them overpriced. You can buy a 335i for less than you spent on your TSX.

As for reliability and cost of repairs, I wouldn't say a BMW 3 series will cost any more to own than an Acura. BMW's have their fair share of problems, but Acura isn't exactly known for their robust clutches, transmissions, or brakes. And let's not forget about poor paint quality, interior rattles, and failing radio/nav screens.
  • You have to be joking-unreliability and BMW are like peas in a pod.
    Go check out the BMW forum- I think I saw one poster returning his 2011 5 series.