Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    No. He's saying the interior is better than the Mercedes C. I disagree. And yes, I mis-read the point about the GP not being an ELLPS. But I don't think the interior is any great shakes.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    that's fine. you guys can argue about the interior all you want.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Yeah, what a great deal. A 300C sized car with an underpowered V8 and low gas mileage. Oh, gimme more.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    alright ... we really shouldn't be discussing it here ... but 362 hp is underpowered??? I guess the 300C is "grossly underpowered"??? At least the G8 will supposedly come with a stick.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    LOL, I'd still to this day buy the TL over everything Pontiac currently offers and that's coming from a GM guy.

The G8, isn't a ELLPS because of it's badge. If you put a different emblem like a luxury nameplate badge on it then I think it has enough credibility on interior/exterior + gadgets to be a ELLPS. The G8, has the highest quality interior to ever be installed in a Pontiac car. This is all good news from GM, because it raises the bar another step higher for the comapany. While many will argue the Mercedes, has more luxury which may be true a unbiased person would be blinde to not appreciate the G8's fit and finish for a car starting out at around $26K and will top out around $33K. I do think some ELLPS buyers will cross shop the G8 because it offers a lot of value. The 2008' Cadillac CTS is a ELLPS no matter how you slice. I should be shocked that a few won't acknowledge it as such but deep down I'm not a bit surprised. :surprise:

Rocky
    The interior color choice ruins it a bit. BTW- That isn't production color as it's been noted on this and other sites. I respectfully disagree with your position on G8's interior. The Mercedes C class was surprisingly plain. I guess I've always admired Mercedes interiors and the plainess caught me off guard for a car costig that kind of money is all. ;)

Rocky
  • Take a look at the power to weight and the actual performance. Considering the car has a V8, I found the numbers listed rather underwhelming.
    Since when was 362 hp. on regular gas underpowered ?????

That is 62 more horsepower than your beloved BMW 335i bluedotguy. I will acknowledge the 335i from a size and weight standpoint will out run the G8 GT but once the Holden Commodore HSV/GXP version arrives that will all change as Motor Trend reported a 502 hp. 7.0 LS-7 V8 is in the works. ;) I suppose that also will be considered underpowered as well. :confuse:

Rocky
  • 362 out of a V8 = underwhelmed. Considering the car's behemoth size, it's not gonna be an entry lux car. It's more of a Maxima with a V8.

No matter how much power, it's just too darn big too.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We're all in agreement the G8 doesn't belong here, so let's leave it out!
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 971
    Yep, that's him.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I was surprised how big the TL is, it just does not look that big. Plust it's a heavey car too. :surprise:
    I don't think the TL, is all that heavy. It was pretty nimble for me. ;)

Rocky
    slow
    porky
    cramped
    expensive
    Nope. Wrong criteria.

Brand is all important.
    A manual transmission is not at all important to make the cut.
    0-60 in 6.6 is slow ? well maybe........

Yeah it might be porky but it's one of the safest cars you can own. Cramped when compared to a 335i or IS 350 ? It's like a limo in size. ;) It only gets expensive when you add every option including AWD. It's still is less than a fully loaded 335i or IS 350.

Rocky
  • Yes, 6.6 seconds is slow - even generic compacts like the GTI are faster than that. This is 2007, not 2002. Anything over 5.5 seconds seems a little last generation. We've got the G35, IS350 and 335i pulling near to sub 5 seconds 60 sprints.
    Okay, fair enough.......

Rocky
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    We've got the G35, IS350 and 335i pulling near to sub 5 seconds 60 sprints

Yet all three of those aren't entry-level - they belong in the regular or mainstream luxury performance car category - based upon price alone if nothing else.
  • How do you figure? average selling price of a car in 2007 is 30k so therefore isn't 40k or so entry level luxury?