Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,353
    OK...no tape player I will live with the entry performance.

"Drove my Bimmer to the Levee but the Levee was dry....this will be the day that I DIE."
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    you forgot the part about drinking whisky and rye :P
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    and good old boys.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    have actual cars with (or without) tape players that you'd like to discuss? ;)
    How about another kind of music - music to my ears?

My new Supersprint exhaust...

http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.5a1235f7
    Fed,

What is the vibrational differnece on the road? These are pretty loud!

BTW, is this the same car you posted the road coarse video last summer?

Regards,
    OW
    Below 3700 RPM, it's kind of "buzzy" inside the cabin - sort of a harmonic resonance. Above that RPM, it turns into a wicked purr that makes it all worth it. It's definitely too loud right now so I plan on installing a resonator on the center section to quiet it down a little and add a little back-pressure to boost low end torque somewhat.

I think I linked the lap where I paced an instructor (also driving an M3) around the track.

Here's another lap around Spokane without any traffic:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1225387497

You can definitely hear the difference between the old exhaust and the new one. The power change with the new setup is dramatic - I can't wait to get the M back on the track in a few weeks.
    It looks like you are moving faster on your own. Hats off to the line you take through the track. I need to try that soon.

Just to get a perspective, what speeds did you attain in this vid?

The engine sounds real fine at the high end of the revs through the gears. What a difference from when you just reved it in park from the back of the car.

Regard,
    OW
    Spokane Raceway Park:

130 on the front straight, 120 on the back straight.
    Awsome track...and you get the most out of that car. Who needs NASCAR?

Regards,
    OW
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    That is pretty cool. :)

Rocky
    Here is an interesting combo:

The idea that General Motors Corp. could buy Chrysler Group has many heads shaking in bemusement, but some who watch the U.S. auto industry say the concept might actually gain traction.

Muhahahaha!!

Regards,
    OW
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Yeah, that would be pretty darn cool ;)

Rocky
    Chrysler will unveil the production version of the 2009 Dodge Challenger 356 days from today (Feb 15). It will be unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show in February 2008, the company said today.

Start Planning...5'er, 3'er or CHALLENGER! How cars have shrunk over the years.

Regards,
    OW
  • Today my fiancee expressed an interest in checking out possible cars to replace her now gone 2001 S80. She said she wanted compact, somewhat luxurious and powerful. Obviously she's driven my 06 330i. She finds it fun but not to her liking (I really wouldn't want two of the same car in the family anyway).

So we stopped by VW and she drove a GTI 4 door. Not a ELLPS, i know. But it leads into her reactions to the next two cars:

Acura TSX
    Acura TL

We got out of the TSX and I already knew she didn't dig it. When pressed by the car guy she matter-of-factly said, "That car is soooooo slow."

The dealer was actually pretty smart as he didn't flinch but said, "Well try this TL Type S. It's got some power." She agreed; I knew what her reaction would be but figured it would be amusing anyway. We got onto the road and he asked her, "So how does it feel?"

"Heavy and huge," came her immediate response. She's never heard me mention the TL ever.

We returned to the lot and he suggested an Accord V6. She has already been in them an answered instantly: no, old lady car.

Sigh, I think she may be driving her backup car for sometime as we've ruled out all SUVs, the Acura/Honda lineup, BMW and MB. Honestly, I didn't think she'd find the TSX that slow but after driving the GTI, she couldn't understand why anyone would opt for the far less responsive engine in the TSX.

Next stop Audi.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    Audi? In CA, do they stock Quattro cars or are most of them FWD?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Blue,

What about the G?

Regards,
    OW
  • G35? Neither of us liked the 07 when we drove it at Thanksgiving. Extremely cramped interior and car felt heavy and disconnected from the road. I prefer the last gen car more.
  • They stock both but we'd look at the A3 (essentially FWD only as the 3.2 is way overpriced); it's far more space efficient than the cramped A4 and reasonably priced for what it is.

Hard to find compact entry lux cars nowadays. Even the 3 series is a midsize now.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    G35? Neither of us liked the 07 when we drove it at Thanksgiving. Extremely cramped interior and car felt heavy and disconnected from the road. I prefer the last gen car more.

I enjoy seeing everyone else's opinion of these cars, and how they differ from person to person.

I've driven the TL and agree with your conclusions.
    I drove the G35x two days ago and I had a completely different opinion from yours.

I feel the cars handles incredibly well, and rivals (comes very close) to the feel of a 3-series.
    There was also no front end dive when slamming on the brakes, and no heavy plowing in corners like the TL.

Good luck finding a final decision. :)