Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

This was the headlight that was replaced by a body shop; so not original. I"m going to go with not a coincidence, and blame it on the body shop/accident rather than Audi. That's how I'm chalking this one up, and appreciate Audi covering it without making me deal with the hassle of going back to a lousy shop. I do realize the shop used an Audi derived OEM replacement part, but I have my reasons.

I hate dealing with most body shops; if the car looks good from 20 feet away the average customer is ecstatic- and as a result, the work really suffers. Maybe I've just been lucky, but when I creased the side of my ti I took it to my local dealer's BMW Certified Collision Repair Center. The quality of the work was outstanding, and I had absolutely no complaints. Was the body shop that "repaired" your car an Audi certified shop?
    Yes, they were certified, and there's only 3 in all of San Diego County! However, they were so horrible, I imagine a typical decent body shop would probably out-perform them, though I haven't had luck with any body shops in San Diego County yet (tried 4 different ones now).

I did tell Audi that they need to immediately de-certify them. They used to have a good reputation locally in Escondido (by San Diego), but they got bought out by Caliber Collision (the McDonald's of Body Shops) years ago. They kept the old name along with Caliber Collision to fool people, and they still are certified by Audi to this day despite my complaints.

I agree with you, they get away with shoddy workmanship because most people won't take their car back 3 times until they get it right like I did.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    @andres3 I really feel for the story- last month my neighbor backed into the front quarter of my car. Damage just to the one panel (I hope)- I have been waiting on getting the car fixed- may wait another 6 months or so as my hope is to have it fixed correctly and then quickly trade in for the next model s4 which I'm guessing will be available at that time. The tale of issues you have had with your car would have driven me to roll it off a cliff.
    I would pay extra for a policy that has "new car replacement" even if your car isn't totaled, but has more than a 20% of value damage claim. I'd also pay extra to have a collision deductible waiver that applies to both uninsured and under insured drivers hitting you. Unfortunately in CA at least, it's better to be hit by an uninsured than a under insured driver.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Those of you who own a car fitted with a ZF automatic or double-clutch transmission might be interested in this ZF List of approved lubricants. Page 3 lists the approved oils for double-clutch boxes while page 4 lists the proper ATF for the automatics- in both cases the part numbers for the oils as sold by the vehicle manufacturer are also provided.

Automatic owners should note on page 5 that ZF recommends an ATF change every 60,000-120,000 km(50,000-75,000 miles) or 8 years under the following conditions:

- frequent highway driving in top speed range,
    - offensive, sporty driving style,
    - frequent trailer operation,

I plan to change the ATF in the 2er every 50,000 miles, primarily because it will be my track toy for the next several years. Otherwise I would go with the 75,000 mile interval. I tend to be proactive with respect to vehicle maintenance and I believe it pays off; I've had the ATF changed in the GM A5S 390R(5L40E) in my '04 X3 2.5i every 60k miles. It now has 185k on the clock and the transmission performs like new.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    So for 2016 Infiniti has an entry level Q50 with a 4 cyl turbo, so is Infiniti doing the BWW thing with a El Cheapo model?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/sans-six-infiniti-announces-pricing-for-some-2016-q50-models/?mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&src=nl&date=031616

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

So for 2016 Infiniti has an entry level Q50 with a 4 cyl turbo, so is Infiniti doing the BWW thing with a El Cheapo model?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/sans-six-infiniti-announces-pricing-for-some-2016-q50-models/?mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&src=nl&date=031616

BMW? Heck, almost every luxury brand offers a 4-cyl turbo in their entry level cars.

MB
    Lexus
    Audi

I guess the question is, what took Infiniti so long?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

BMW? Heck, almost every luxury brand offers a 4-cyl turbo in their entry level cars.

MB
    Lexus
    Audi

I guess the question is, what took Infiniti so long?
    Well Audi has always had a 4 cyl,

Lexus until now never had a 4 cyl

Yes, MB had one too, what the scary thing is that Nissan could not make their own, the 4 Cyl in the Q50 is from MB...
  • tigerheeltigerheel Member Posts: 18
    So very open ended question -- but I would really appreciate opinions. I currently lease a 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD. Its fine -- has worked out well for me.

I am looking at all the typical cars in that range and class: Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc etc

Any thoughts or recommendations? I would look at a purchase of a CPO but I really like the thoughts of a different experience every 24-36 months.

Lease specials will probably sway me to be honest
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I think you answered your own question. scope them all out, see which ones interest you enough to get into a short term relationship with, then go where the money trail leads.

Maybe add infiniti. Q50 is going to be really cheap compared to those others. I like the Volvo S60 too, might be worth a look.

Funny though, of your list (I assume A3, 328, IS, CLA/C class) the only one I don't like is the one you drive now!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yes, the IS350 is light years better than the IS250. Still, if you want great power it's 335+, S3 or S4, or AMG versions of the above.
    tigerheel said:

So very open ended question -- but I would really appreciate opinions. I currently lease a 2014 Lexus IS250 AWD. Its fine -- has worked out well for me.

I am looking at all the typical cars in that range and class: Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc etc

Any thoughts or recommendations? I would look at a purchase of a CPO but I really like the thoughts of a different experience every 24-36 months.

Lease specials will probably sway me to be honest

Depending where you live there are some great deals on BMWs right now. my neighbor just leased a 2015 535d new, MSRP $77K, purchase price $59K, with the 3K lease money BMW has his money payments on this car is $525/m with ZERO out of pocket. He got the car from Pacific BMW in Glendale, Ca. They have a huge selection of cars from new with zero miles, to service loaners to Exec cars.

But go out and look at cars kick the tires and test drive them.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    edited March 2016
    Here is a good lease on a 335i

circlew said:

It's OK .. over $5K due at signing, but you'll get the $3850 back at the end. Oh, plus DMV and dealer fee costs, whatever those happen to be.

NJ calculates sales tax on the sum of the payments and the customer can either pay it up front or add it into the cap cost, which will increase the payment.

You could probably negotiate a better price than that used in the ad to lower your payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    circlew said:
    Not to mention that this has got to be for 10K miles per year (so what do I drive for the other 6 months?).  So after 3 years you'll have paid out over $19,000 in lease payments (plus tax).  I think they are marking up the bank fee by $200.  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    $925 is the new standard acquisition fee for BMWFS. No markups allowed, now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I stand corrected! 

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

circlew said:

That isn't a very good deal, I'm sure you would walk into the dealership and get it for less. Also With that payment the MF isn't at the base rate. The GT's aren't selling that well.
    @flightnurse - good point. They mention the 7 MSDs but not the starting MF from which they are deducted.

.00135 is the base MF this month, but the dealer can mark it up to .00175.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You're also losing one month's lease payment in the investment interest you would lose on giving them $3850 of your money for 3 years.
    Michaell said:

@flightnurse - good point. They mention the 7 MSDs but not the starting MF from which they are deducted.

.00135 is the base MF this month, but the dealer can mark it up to .00175.

This is one area where the dealer makes money, other then the lovely Doc Fee
  • parachautopartparachautopart Member Posts: 16
    its seems difficult to decide, seriously.

You're also losing one month's lease payment in the investment interest you would lose on giving them $3850 of your money for 3 years.

One thing people don't get with MSD's is over the life of the lease, you are saving on average about $1900 plus you get the MSD's back when you turn the car

One thing people don't get with MSD's is over the life of the lease, you are saving on average about $1900 plus you get the MSD's back when you turn the car
    Yeah but the dealer can jack up the MF, and if they do that to the max as Michael points out, that's one whole 1% more interest; and those 7 payments are held hostage against any damage (read the fine print) --not a great position for negotiation at turn-in.

But your point is well-taken nonetheless and should be considered along with everything else.

that was something I wondered about with the MSDs. On my lease, there is no security deposit, so if they want to ding me for damage, they have to ask for it and I can argue. But if they have $3,500 "on account", they can keep whatever they want, and I would have to fight them to get it back.

EGG-xactly my concern as well.

Yeah but the dealer can jack up the MF, and if they do that to the max as Michael points out, that's one whole 1% more interest; and those 7 payments are held hostage against any damage (read the fine print) --not a great position for negotiation at turn-in.

But your point is well-taken nonetheless and should be considered along with everything else.

This can happen and does at any dealership, but this is why the savvy buyer would investigate what the current MF is and call the dealer on the increase.
    stickguy said:

that was something I wondered about with the MSDs. On my lease, there is no security deposit, so if they want to ding me for damage, they have to ask for it and I can argue. But if they have $3,500 "on account", they can keep whatever they want, and I would have to fight them to get it back.

From what I have read on Bimmerfest, BMW has not done this since the MSD is not really a "security" deposit in the general term, but a way to lower the MF.
    Depends on what's in the contract--it should state (or not) whether the MSD can be used against damages at turn-in.
    stickguy said:

I agree with the thought process on this... It's the same reason I don't use a debit card. But, in reality, all cars get an inspection at your home/business, and a printout is given to you then (3-4 weeks before turn-in). You owe what you owe, regardless of deposit.

I've done it twice, and no issues.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

True enough but there are shades of gray as to what represents "significant damage". I've also heard of cases where one inspection seeeds rather perfunctory, and another very detailed. Go figure.
    I haven't run into that. Twice was with MSDs, but I've turned in at least 8-10 leased cars, with never an issue.

I've heard plenty of stories, though. I also know that plenty of people treat their vehicles like crap, and probably aren't good candidates for leasing.. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I haven't run into that. Twice was with MSDs, but I've turned in at least 8-10 leased cars, with never an issue.

I've heard plenty of stories, though. I also know that plenty of people treat their vehicles like crap, and probably aren't good candidates for leasing.. :D

I was going to post something like this, I would suspect that it all depends on how much reconditioning your car needs, if you take care of your car and it's just normal wear and tear, then it's not an issue, but if you don't care how many stains there are inside or scraps and dents and road rash on the rims, then I get could see BMW holding back some money.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I had a rented A3 sedan this past week. I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. While I realize it was probably a base model, the interior, while nice, had quite a bit of hard door plastics, etc. IMHO the dash looks kind of cheap with the worst part being the round air vents. The driving feel was ok but not great. The engine (I assume it was a Turbo 4?) was somewhat harsh at idle but had good power upon acceleration. The leather seats were decent and the car looks attractive.

Compared to my 1998 A4 that was about the same size, the older A4 was way nicer thank the A3 IMHO.
    tlong said:

I had a rented A3 sedan this past week. I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. While I realize it was probably a base model, the interior, while nice, had quite a bit of hard door plastics, etc. IMHO the dash looks kind of cheap with the worst part being the round air vents. The driving feel was ok but not great. The engine (I assume it was a Turbo 4?) was somewhat harsh at idle but had good power upon acceleration. The leather seats were decent and the car looks attractive.

Compared to my 1998 A4 that was about the same size, the older A4 was way nicer thank the A3 IMHO.

Can't argue with you that it seems Audi finally took some cost cut measures when making the current generation A3's interior. I love the round air vents though, that's our only disagreement. The driving feel; did you toss it around?, feels like a very light and lively chassis to me. The 1.8T I'm not a fan of; the 2.0T should be standard, better power, and better fuel economy at the same time. Before someone argues, note the 2.0T adds quattro without losing MPG, that's better efficiency by a large margin. The 2.0T is a stellar engine.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I couldn't toss it as I pretty much drove the freeways. Also my rental seemed to bottom out the front right shock as if there was no damping - it was a huge chunk on speedbumps, etc. So I had to baby it a bit - but the car had 18K miles on it so don't know how that had happened. I reported it to the rental company upon return.
    I wonder when rental companies will start installing dash cams into the cars to see just how abused rentals are during rental periods.
    tlong said:

I couldn't toss it as I pretty much drove the freeways. Also my rental seemed to bottom out the front right shock as if there was no damping - it was a huge chunk on speedbumps, etc. So I had to baby it a bit - but the car had 18K miles on it so don't know how that had happened. I reported it to the rental company upon return.

The Quattro version comes with a more powerful engine...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    We love our A3 with the 1.8T engine to be honest. Not one problem so far, only has been back to the dealer for their gratis wash/vacuum. Our first time going german and we are very pleased. So pleased in fact, that 12 days later, I went to our local VW store and bought a Golf hatch for myself. Had less cash to spend and wanted the versatility of a hatch to haul stuff. So far, only one issue with a starter wire that took a few days to find malfunctioning. But after a couple of days, the problem finally showed itself and that was that. Also, the lumbar handle came off twice and now fixed perfectly.
    Hoping that the reliability on both will be good and so far, so good.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited April 2016

We love our A3 with the 1.8T engine to be honest. Not one problem so far, only has been back to the dealer for their gratis wash/vacuum. Our first time going german and we are very pleased. So pleased in fact, that 12 days later, I went to our local VW store and bought a Golf hatch for myself. Had less cash to spend and wanted the versatility of a hatch to haul stuff. So far, only one issue with a starter wire that took a few days to find malfunctioning. But after a couple of days, the problem finally showed itself and that was that. Also, the lumbar handle came off twice and now fixed perfectly.
    Hoping that the reliability on both will be good and so far, so good.

The Sandman :)B)

Do you know if your wife's A3 is still made in Germany (VIN start with W), and the Golf probably made in Mexico (VIN number starts with 3 I think). After solving the Mexican teething quality control issues, I"m sure your Golf will serve you as well as any Honda for reliability and durability.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2016
    Luxury sales in April:

1. Mercedes Benz 29,236 +.2%

2. Lexus 24,882 -3.8%

3. BMW 24,851 -7.4%

4. Audi 17,801 +5.8%

5. Acura 16,206 +9.0%

6. Cadillac 11,236 -28.9%

7. Infiniti 10,432 +4.5%

8. Lincoln 9,776 +20.2%

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/05/u-s-auto-sales-brand-brand-results-april-2016-ytd/#more-1335338

Cadillac seems to be driving itself into a ditch. Cadillac was #1 in luxury sales from about 1920 until the late 1990s—only 20 years ago.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Wow, Civic purchases are on fire and the hose on Cadillac. I think part of Cadillac's issue is pricing, just too high. Nice cars, however, and wouldn't mind having an ATS or CTS in my driveway.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Nice to see Acura holding on.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Volvo is up over 22% YTD vs 2015.

A non-luxury point of interest: Scion is up nearly 53%! Maybe everyone should announce the closing of their doors for a nice sales spike. :s

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Some rug and furniture stores have been doing that for decades.

qbrozen said:

I read an article somewhere that this is due almost entirely to the sales of the new XC90.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited May 2016
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

I read an article somewhere that this is due almost entirely to the sales of the new XC90.

OH, I'm certain it is.

I bet the XT5 bolsters Caddy sales. If they offer a V Sport, I may even consider taking a look.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Spotted an STS-V on Monday. That has to be pretty rare.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I don't know what Cadillac is going to do; they have a world class product but perception is taking much too long to catch up with reality...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Perhaps review their pricing model, study Lexus circa 1989...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Perhaps review their pricing model, study Lexus circa 1989...

Exactly; they need to get butts in seats before they set prices as high as their competitors.