Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• joe131joe131 Posts: 971
    I see.
    So it is just the idea of metal and wood that you like better? You just want to be able to read on a specifications sheet that the wood and/or aluminum underneath the plastic surface is genuine?
    Ok. Gotcha.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    I love my Aluminum trim in the A3 on the vents. You can actually feel and touch the aluminum metal, not plastic. Go ahead and flick it, touch it, caress it, it's nothing like "fake-aluminum." I vote for real aluminum; plus, it's shinier. ;)
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Hey Joe, let's put it this way, if I am going to drop 40 big ones on a car I'll sleep better at night if I know the wood trim or carbon fiber trim on my car aren't fake. Metallic trim I can live with since it is just plastic and one can't really fake plastic but I much prefer aluminum over it.
    I like stainless steel better myself. Maybe I can convince car makers to use it everywhere. Or maybe a plastic imitation of stainless steel. That would be ok too. That real metal just feels so bad when it is super hot or cold. Ouch!
    Well, I see your point now, and I must concede it is a good one.
    That would be very useful on those nights when I have a hard time getting to sleep. I could just think about the real wood and real metal on my car's dashboard for a bit and then drift off into safe and restful sleep sleep sleeeep.
  • hausshauss Posts: 169
    Haha! Very funny, but joe131, are you sure they coat aluminum trim with plastic? I think they may coat it with a silicate but that's not the same thing as straight up plastic. As for the difference between fake plastic wood trim and real wood trim highly polished just one look and you can tell. The fake stuff looks, well, eh, fake and the real stuff looks luxurious. Plus, when you tap your finger nail against it it puts off a nice little thump thump while the fake stuff goes tink tink. I'd rather the highly polished real wood trim thank you.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    Safe and Restful sleep: "Think Teak Interior"...

Point taken on the maple trim. I looked it up on Lexus' website after leaving you this post last night and realized there was an option out there and it looked very nice. I liked it but for some reason I never see it on the street.
    Some aluminum may be anodized or treated with phosphate, but may then be more susceptible to fine scratches from keys, rings, shoe soles and the like. The plastic coating which could be used on aluminum and wood has a strength and resiliency that resists scratches and nicks better than other types of finishes on metal or wood.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    Jag does it pretty nice. I luv wood.

Regards,
    OW
    Yep, the '08 CTS is just a display model but it's a marked improvement over the old one. The damn thing was up on a rotating stage too and spinning pretty fast so it was hard to get a great look at the interior through the open doors on the driver's side. But it was enough of a view to tell it's exponentially better than the current CTS interior and certainly capable of being as good as it looks in pix. In fact I thought the car looked better on the outside than the pics of it too.
    Jag needs to lose the stupid cartoon cat symbol they use on the steering wheel and other places. I think my 2.5 year old nephew could draw something better.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    hauss, maple trimmed IS are all over the place in the South, the only ones that come with the metallic are base and sports models. We all know how easy it is to find a base model on a Lexus lot and good luck on finding an IS350/250 sports anywhere in the country other than California.
    I do not see a picture, only a red X in a square inside another square.
    lou, I'll have to pay better attention to my surroundings down here in Atlanta then. I'll take your word for it but until I looked it up on their site I'd never seen it in person. I've been spending a lot of time at Lexus dealerships lately too as I just put down a deposit on a GS350RWD for my fiance last night. I should have noticed it.

Anyway, when you're at the car show check out the carbon fiber trim (fake) on both the Vette Z06 and another high end car there whose make and model are elluding my memory. They're horrible. I'd say that Acura does fake carbon fiber trim better than any of 'em. :D
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    Your points about wood v. metal v. plastic are good ones. However, why buy wood furniture when you can have durable plastic furniture? Why buy leather shoes when there are breathable plastic models? Why do people pay more for anything, when a lesser substance can serve or suffice? Why does anyone ever buy a Rolex watch?

It comes down to personal preference, the market level in which you are shopping, and what consumers in various strata expect. You'd never expect plastic wood in a Rolls. If a car's competition all offer wood or metal, then plastic is probably not the way to go, regardless of its durability. The manufacturer who won't spend the extra few cents it takes to use real wood veneer may be pennywise and pound foolish.

Look at the awful fake wood that used to be in cars, at the same time when British and German interiors used real wood. It is true that the fake stuff has gotten so much better--and some of the real wood now is poorly done or cheaply executed, and doesn't look as good as some of the fake stuff.

The painted aluminum is the worst, because it eventually wears off in spots and looks as nasty as the old plastic chrome interior trim used to be. The real aluminum in my car scratches easily, but it doesn't look like anything but the metal that it is. I like that. Chacun a son gout.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Members of the press did get into the car in Detroit and were impressed. I read this on Autoblog and other sites where people had been in the car. Photos can only distort so much and often times what looks good is good in reality. Besides, the CTS' problem isnt hard plastics so I woudnt think the new interior would have hard or cheap surfaces. The current CTS has a poor design and the new one corrects that.

Anyone read Automobile's long term test of the 330 in the April issue?
    I'm not saying that plastic is a good substitute for other materials in all applications, but it is better in some. For instance, I'd rather eat real pancakes than plastic ones.
    I like it that everyone is allowed to have their own personal preferences. I'm not trying to change that at all.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Anyone read Automobile's long term test of the 330 in the April issue?"

I read edmunds long term wrap up of the 330, what did Automobile have to say?
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The car suffered some type of engine failure that had it in the shop for 5 weeks. The repair would've cost $4300 if the car wasnt under warranty. Of course they gave it 4/5 stars and said it was great anyway. I doubt that would've been the case if it wasnt a 3 series. Its just one more example that build and material quality have nothing to do with reliability. Automobile said this is the 4th long term BMW they have had engine problems with since 1994.

Many have said they will respect the CTS when is reaches the "world class" status of its foreign competitors but to me world class embodies a lot of things. None of these cars is perfect and while the CTS's interior design is quite odd I havent heard anything about CTS engine rebuilds at 20k miles. I guess it all depends on how one defines world class.