Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,235
    nyc....too cool. Great car (the one you traded) for an even better one. Plus, you made a great deal. Let us know when you take delivery.

Congrats!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,084
    Is this a picture of a 2014 A3 Sedan -- A3?!?
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,637
    What year was it? Mine was the first year for the C5, Millennium Yellow, had the Z51 package, that might have helped..
    The poster didn't say he wanted a new or used car. A used ELLPS can be had for mid 30s with no problem.
    Congrats, however according to Sweeny those deals do not happen...
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    My favorite deals are the program cars and the ones where the financing fell through. You get essentially a new car with 3-5K on it for many thousands off of the new price. And you also don't pay the initial registration tax/fee of several thousand dollars.
    I believe that is the A4 sedan, too big for the A3 Sedan
  • dag63dag63 Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your responses. A lot to ponder. I drove a Volvo S60 and a BMW 328 tonight. Didn't think much of the Volvo; great interior (seats and stereo, especially), drove like the '97 850 i owned before the Mazda. The 328 was a sweet ride, but I have three problems with it: 1) $40k for a low-end model, though I could probably get it for $38k or so (thank you, Costco); 2) even without the tech package, it still has more tech than I need (I can check with tire pressure and oil on a little screen - why?); and 3) most importantly, it's still kinda small to carry two teenage boys in the back on a road trip. I may look at slightly larger cars (probably not ELLPS), like the Chrysler 300, Hyundai Genesis, and Passat V6. If I could afford an A6, 528, or M37, I'd really look into those.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    Thanks fellas! I'm going to find out tomorrow when the delivery date is. I seriously cannot wait!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "I did the deal today guys! Come next week I'll be a BMW owner once again."

Nice upgrade! Congrats!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "I may look at slightly larger cars (probably not ELLPS), like the Chrysler 300, Hyundai Genesis, and Passat V6. If I could afford an A6, 528, or M37, I'd really look into those."

The Passat and Genesis are both very good choices. They are a little plain looking on the outside, but overall they are VERY nice cars.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    Yes, It is the A3 sedan that is supposed to be coming for 2014 MY.

R & Track

It reminds me of my ol' 97 A4...perfect size :)
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,752
    edited March 2012
    It reminds me of my ol' 97 A4...perfect size

I had a '98 A4, stick, 6 cyl, stick, sport package. I really miss that car and the size of that car. Today's cars have gotten too big for me -- including my '05 TL, which is a lot more reliable, but too much of a boat IMHO.
    Thanks fedlawman!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    MY 2007, delivered in Nov. 2006.
    Red.
    No Z51.
    Just saying, in 30,000 miles and 2 years
    [ making it a VERY high mileage 'Vette ]
    nothing fell apart on it.
    And.
    I liked it enough that my next vehicle was a G8 GT -
    a sedan with very similar drivetrain to the 'Vette.
    - Ray
    If GM made the CTS with a n.a. V8, I would have been -
    and would at lease-end, be very interested...
    But the current CTS-v is a bit much.
    And the V6s - not enough.
    For me.
    They are very rare these days, since the dealerships work with many banks and know what the banks will and will not take, not to say it doesn't happen from time to time.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,147
    I think it's a fantastic deal for NYC. Flight once again with a zinger directed Tonwards me. think you can get a similar deal on a 2012, new body style ?
    Remember it's march 15th - and the car in question is a 2011. -
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate your thoughtful & kind words. This is quickly becoming a reality!

Just got a text from my salesman that my car is at the other dealer & is still available. They're going to call me when it's in.

Enjoy, just do me a favor and stay out of the left lane on the Merritt parkway- joking.....
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,084
    I had -- my wife had -- a couple of those slightly smaller A4's back in the late 90's, with the, at the time V6 and stick shift (and with the $500 sport package), these were very nice cars; and actually very reliable as I recall.

But, those were the days when we were in and out of a car in about 45,000 miles, so even for a German car it was pretty easy to be reliable for that long.

These days, I look for durability, performance and reliability -- but not exactly in that order.

I had a 2005 A6 fully loaded, went to a 2009 A4 Prestige+sport and then into a 2012 SH-AWD TL Advance -- I think the TL, the more I drive it, actually is pretty close "in feel" to the A6, except the TL has 305HP where the A6 had 265 -- both had 6 speed autos and the seats in the Audi were the upgraded version.

In any case, I did lease the TL for 45K miles thinking, MAYBE (but unlikely), this is a car with sufficient durability that it could be kept for a longer period.

Now I think I will look at another Acura in 26 months, but will also look at Infiniti (my wife's is great) and the Germans, too.

In any case that new A3 for 2014 is sure purty -- and if it were the size of the old A4 we used to have, well it's just my wife, Sammy the dog and me, so I wouldn't really miss rear seat leg room much. Be way cool, too, if it had an 8 speed tip and the current 2.0T 211 HP 258 lb ft engine.

In that car, that engine would feel "industrial strength." :shades:
    Your right captain. Guess I just assumed. Thanks for monitoring the situation.

As flight pointed out a used Ellps can be had. As well as any other used makes- prob can get a E55 for that price as well.
    Will do!

Last Saturday on my way to work, I got nailed on 95 doing 81 in a 55. The Merritt is tons of fun. Gotta watch out for the deer & the left lane campers on the Merritt more than the State Troopers.

I usually take 95 to work because there is a DDDT on my way to it.

What is DDDT?
    Dunkin donuts ?

Merritt is a blast - stay to the left - pass the slow poke on the right- couple of decent straights (that bridge) and lets not forget the 35mph turns.
  • dag63dag63 Posts: 4
    Thanks, fedlawman. I may also look at a used M37 or 2 year-old A6.
    Dunkin' Donuts Drive Thru

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,455
    I guessed right on that one.

But, no more doing that with the Bimmer. not with those crappy cup holders!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Who drinks and drives? When I'm driving my BMW's I keep both hands on the wheel. Now have to say, with all the rentals I drive, it is nice to have a cup coffee to wake one up in the morning.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,324
    The cupholders in my 1'er are just fine. I think they finally improved them with the E92/82 series. If you get iDrive, you get crappy ones again.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

usa today.. james r healey "Its tough to point to a couple of attributes and say, 'yeah, that's justifies a $50k real-world price for a compact sedan.' Rather, the new 3 series is a car that gets under your skin. A car that, having driven it awhile, leaves you quite dissatisfied with a lot of other cars."

wish i could find the link but its in todays paper.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,455
    the 1 is OK. An E46 is fine. But, the 5 series never was any good, and I thought the outgoing 3 series (E90?) reverted back to just cheesey flip out arms (and no holes in the console)?

And Flight, when you live/commute in the north east, you spend plenty of time just sitting going no where, so safe enough to take a hand off the wheel to take a drink.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)