Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    Im being an enabler here once again - the car is sweet.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited March 2012
    GraphicGuy - You're right, of course about the 335i, and it is also a really sweet engine. I was just commenting specifically on NYC's story about his friend's E36. I also agree that it is underrated at 300hp - it definitely feels stronger than that. And yours with the remap upgrade must be a monster. I think they didn't want the 335i to steal M3 sales, but I think it probably does with all that torque. The 335i and M3 have very difference power delivery and personalities, but it's the 335i that feels more muscular in the power department - Americans tend to prefer that feeling.

NYC - Thanks for the inside shots. Your car is loaded and looks really nice. Some people don't like wood trim, but I think it looks really classy. Very nice car!
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,235
    edited March 2012
    stick.....you got your son most of the way. He can pick up the light work on the last year of his tuition..... :P

Besides, as nyc pointed out, there are some deals to be had on '11 3 Series right now. Gotta strike while the iron's hot! :D

BTW.....I'm getting between 21 MPG and 22 MPG in town, and just broke 30 MPG in a mix of 90% highway and 10% city driving. I run straightly Costco Premium in it.

I'm happy with that.
    Thanks so much! Im not a huge wood trim fan either, but love it and everything about my new 3.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,455
    the one at my office (I stopped to look on my way out) was basically your car in black (over tan). A 328i X-drive. Not sure of the navi 9forgot to look). Very nice looking.

most likely a 2011 since the inspection sticker was issued 10/11.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,147
    While i think the 328xi is a great car- Wonder what a leftover g37x with the same options would be- plus you get an extra 100plus hp. Since 90 plus % of 328x cars are auto anyway- I would argue you can get a better car for less. Plus despite what others believe the Infiniti is very low maintenance - i know bc ive spent under 500 bux in 4 years. I know bmw will throw in an oil change or 2 but if you consider the numbers it's still a no- brainier. Sorry to ruin the love fest- and if you dont believe me read consumer reports - the category is entry level - price matters
    flightnurse....not that it means all that much, but in my younger years a buddy and I had a ragged out Mustang track only car. We used to run it at the local 1/4 mile track.

I don't track anymore. But, am always curious about the speed of my personal ride. Very unofficial, and done with a passenger holding a digi watch, but I put up a 0-60 in the low 5s in my 335i. That was before the Power Package install. I'm certain it will it high 4s 0-60 now.

Not too shabby for an automatic, 6 cyl.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,637
    Sweeny only way to find out is go buy one and let us know.
    Graphic it appears most gear-heads had a mustang at one time. I'm no different,had a nice 65 and 70 Boss 302. I miss the Boss...

I'm sure you could get in the mid 4's with the car with a little work, there are many aftermarket companies that have goodies for your car, just depends on how deep your pockets are, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSOTgmhhlqg

Fed, I'm sure the guys who buy a M car new, really don't car that with less money a lesser BMW can beat it...

FN
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    True. I saw an M on the road yesterday. I couldn't take my eyes off it. I've seen them plenty, but those huge rear wheels and quad pipes sticking out the back give it a real menacing look. Surprisingly different from the 335i, which should look very similar yet somehow looks more elegant than menacing with the same body.

Although I would most definitely be happy with a 335i, I would pay more for the M - it's more my style.

If I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter at 8000 RPM, I might as well be driving my wife's Volvo. ;)
    I have to agree, listening to the V8 at 8K has a nice sound to it, but then again having a plain jane 335i keep the police away too.
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    Student loans are cheap money and this would 'build character'. My parents did the very same, minimal monies from them and the rest on me and/or my employer at the time....made me appreciate what I've worked for now. I do feel for the new graduates that come in with $200k plus student loans hanging over their heads nowadays
    flightnurse....yeah....we saw a lot of Mustangs at the track.....Cameros, too Ours was a poor excuse for a Mustang. The body was a mess. We took out every and any thing that had weight to it. We got to the point where the body looked like aluminum foil on the inside.

We spent most of our effort with the 302, performance heads, exhaust, etc. We trailered it to the track and trailered it home. I wish I still had the money I put into that heap. But, it was fast. And, we had an awfully good time messing with it over the years.

It sat in my buddy's back yard for a few years. Finally, his wife told him he either had to use it, or lose it. We sold the drivetrain complete. But, we parted out the rest of what was left of it. I think there are actually two boxes of parts left of it still sitting in his garage.

Went to that same track 2-3 years ago just to watch. In addition to Cameros, Firebirds and Mustangs, we saw a lot of WRXs, EVOs, a few of those recent half hearted GM attempts to revive the dead again Pontiac GTOs.

The WRXs and EVOs should stick to motor cross. We saw more than one of each blow up on the track. The Fast and Furious crowd think that putting a NOS system in them is all it takes. You could tell when they injected them....they'd get a 50 yard burst, a big "POW" and then lots of smoke and limping away.
    Always interesting to get another perspective on how my BMW drives, especially from the person who didn't want me to get rid of her beloved Acura (she got the engagement ring & the big wedding). I brought my sons (5 1/2 & 3) to work with me on Saturday. We took the Pilot. This left my wife home with our 4 month old daughter & my BMW.

We were on our way to a friend's Saturday night & I asked her: "So what'd you think of my car?"

She tells me: "It's fast. Very fast. I looked down a few times & was shocked to be going 90."

So I ask her: "So you like it then?"

She replies: "Well the navigation in the Acura was easier to use."

She doesn't want to admit I'm right! I love her anyway!

I still get a laugh out of the people that try to make a NA 328 out to be some kind of slug that can barely get out of it's own way. Unless you are out on a track (and I mean a real track, not auto-x) it is still (even an AWD slushbox) scary fast, when you are talking about driving in the real world.

Going back a few years, my (sons) 2000 Acura TL is also a ticket magnet. that car just loves to cruise fast. 75 seems to be it's natural loafing sweet spot, and if you don't pay a lot of attention it will creep right up to 90 without noticing it.

Was like that since new according to my sister (the original owner) and will still do it now with 162K on the clock. Good thing my son is religious about using CC coming down from the north country (there is a whole lotta nothing on I81 and the NE extension of the PA turnpike, and you could easily cruise at 100)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

I don't want to hijack this tread, but yeah, those were the days.. BTW, the First Gen Eclipes if set up right were very fast...
    edited April 2012
    From a standstill to 60 in 6.5, in auto- fast sure but new wrangler does the same sprint to 60 in 6.7- and I would say that's "scary fast" given the fact it's a tin box on stilts. Let's remember the car starts at 37k without options - again nice car but it's not end all be all- certainly not in automatic form and certainly not for the inflated msrp. I would equate this car to Kentucky basketball Always a good team, wins the championship a lot - but doesn't play by the rules- entry level sedan should not cost this much new.
    sween....gotta say buddy, you've made some pretty far fetched comparisons in this thread, but dragging the jeep into this is about as far out there as you can possibly get. I'm thinking you might want to give it a rest for a while to gather some perspective before venturing into the waters we're swimming in this thread.

:)
    buddy i really took a deep dive and compaired the jeep to a bmw, buddy- what I did say that that jeep is almost as fast as the bmw to 60, and its scary fast given the structure. (pretty clear where I was going with this) Sure it does not belong here, but on the thread you speak of- we have all talked m3's, porsche, Boss 302s - all within the last month.. If you dont like what I wrote fine but you have added nothing but an insult, buddy.

Waters warm and I love to swim. :) :)
    sweendogy - I'll agree with you that price absolutely matters in this and any category. Everybody's got a price ceiling, whether its a dollar amount or a payment amount whether you are talking Civic vs. Focus, this current crop of ELLPS, The 5, E, A6 group, and even the 7, S, A8 models.

Price drove my purchase. I had equity in my Acura, BMW offered generous discounts and incentives, so I got a car I've been dreaming about since the late 1990's.

I love the way the G37X drives. There's something to be said for the fact that the car has an extra almost 100 horsepower. It is a rocket. Its power is intoxicating. It is faster than my 328xi for sure. So you could say the Infiniti offers a faster car for the same or for less money. I don't personally think faster equates to better.

Cars in this class aren't all about 0 - 60 mph times. There is so much more to the equation that I know you know, otherwise you wouldn't be driving a G. You'd be driving a 5.0 Mustang or Camaro SS.

When I drive cars, one thing I judge them by is their comfortable driving speed or "natural loafing sweet spot" as you so nicely put it. According to me, it is the driving speed at which the car "feels" just right driving at. Not full throttle, where's the fire, my wife's water just broke, and her contractions are 2 minutes apart driving.

My Prelude feels perfect at 75, even though the tach needle is over 3K. Anything over that and I feel I'm driving the Prelude "fast,"

My former TSX felt just right at 80. Which seems logical given that it is heavier than my Prelude, has more sound deadening material, and an actual overdriven 5th gear.

I've had the BMW up at 90 for a few brief moments and the car was as you and my wife have pointed out is "scary fast." The car is just inceredibly planted at speed.

Price is big to me. An unfortunate side effect of being poor! If I only figured out 20 years ago how much I could have saved getting 2 puppies instead of having kids...

anyway, that is why I have fully embraced the mantra: depreciation is your friend! Assuming you aren't the first buyer. the couple of CPO 328i models I found last week (a 2008 and a 2009) were going to cost about what a load up Focus would, or a mid-level Camry. IOW, affordable, and a very realistic alternative to brand new.

Though I still want to see a Dodge Dart in person!

Stickguy - you don't want a Dodge Dart. I don't care how much of a guised up Alfa Romeo it is. It happens to look great in the pics I've seen. It's not a BMW.

Just a personal note about those '08 & '09 CPO 328is (plural). Some of the '09s came with these 16" wheels standard. They look small on the E90 IMHO.

My Mom had an '08 328xi for 3 years & almost 60K miles. Not only was it a great car to drive, but absolutely bulletproof.

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    There is a refinement in the BMW not present in the G. Only you can decide if that is worth it to you.

@nyccarguy - congrats. It is gorgeous. Makes me really miss by ex-BMW. My G cannot match the smoothness of my ex-BMW. HP ain't everything.
    Agree the refinement is something for sure. I'm sure the new BMW 3 for 2012 should help the dated interior and nav setup, as others have pointed out. Audi continues to excel at interiors and is the standard for the class for such. The 25% or more msrp difference is Hard to ignore for the 335 vs g37- (please dont argue with me - ive priced them option for option) and even the msrp for the 328 balloons to 50k. I think NyC did a great job getting the deal on a great car- and I wish him well and I hope to see him on the Merritt one day.
    My argument has never been the g as a better car- but a better value for a lot of the same things the BMW does. The g or Acura might never be the top pick for car and driver mag, or the "true driver"- but in consumer reports they have consistently ranked better. An unbiased news rag with no advertising support- I think the true driver, a person who wants the true sport and performance is going to get the 335 or 328 - with sport and stick. Other then that set up these cars in this class are very close regardless of price. -
    There is a difference between comparing two cars and mentioning cars. No were are you going to find anyone comparing a mustang (Boss 302) to a BMW.

Now I would love to add the Chrysler 300C to the list, after having one for 8 days I have to say for the price you get a lot for your money. When the 8 spd auto goes into the car for MY 2013 this will be a car that will give Infiniti and BMW a run for their money...
    edited April 2012
    I don't understand the first paragraph - but agree the chryster has made major strides in a short period. Nice job flight - your back
    Hey Stick I agree with you to a point regarding depreciation. Price is a relative thing, if I couldn't afford a new BMW, yes, I would go for a CPO BMW, but I keep my cars longer then most, currently I have no plans on selling my 05. If I had to sell one of my BMW the 2011 is a goner.

My partner hasn't made up is mind what car he wants, he was edging towards a 535i, I was sort of pushing towards a 740i (same engine with 15+ more hp.) But he started looking at used A7s he is looking at price (trying to save some money.) So who knows what we will buy, but for him price is playing a factor.
    Sweeny the reason why you don't understand the first paragraph is simple, it was directed at you comparing a Jeep to a BMW...

With the 8 spd coming to 300C, the might G will have major competition in the best bang for the buck. For under 40K the 300c will be a major player. Just as long as Chrysler doesn't program the 300c to go into "eco" mode so quickly even BMW will have to watch out.
    edited April 2012
    And your back to the defensive norm- if you follow the posts my comment again was for stick guy saying the 328xi autonwas scary fast in the real world- and I responded with saying the jeep was almost as fast - but it's a jeep, thats the point -

Fun odd fsct- Jeep and the c300 share the same parent - please give us updates on when to expect the 8speed auto becomes available.