Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,541
    edited April 2012
    Glad somebody else agrees with me on that. You probably have all-seasons on yours (xi gets summer tires only with M-pack, IIRC), which should be a little more gentle anyway. One drawback on the sports/M-packs are staggered size tires, which basically means the can't be rotated (the tires are also unidirectional). This basically creates a potential for more alignment needs than in normal car. However, tires can also be replaced only 2 at the time, if one is worn more than the rest due to some misalignment issues.
    Anyway, I think that alignment stuff not being part of the ALL, ALL, AND ALL (BUT TIRES) FREE is kind of baloney on part of BMW. I understand that car may never need alignment, and it is a function of road hazard, but knowing general condition of roads and overall risk, it is quite common to check it once in a while. Why can't it be a part of Inspection I, beats me. If you advertise that there is nothing, but gas and tires, than it should be just that :( .

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,472
    I'm betting my daughters entire college fund on option #3.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,472
    in the big scheme of things, an alignment is chump change. Just go to a reputable tire shop, and have it done. Heck, normally it is free to check (though they always find at least 1 # out of spec!) But it only coasts about $75 to do it. I have the 3 year plan for my van, and that was only about $125 with a coupon, and I can have it redone every 6 months for 3 years, so average it out and I am paying about $20 per alignment (and just have it done when the van is in for the free rotation and balance that came with the tires).

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,185
    Quickly - you can go to bmw own website snd see what the "free maintance" gets you vs its comp. is it backed in? Sure - but they really make you pay for :)
    Here's what BMW owners are saying about it

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428361

amazed your thinking about what your going to do 3 yesrs from now with a car you just picked up a few weeks ago.
    I agree. But my BMW store thinks it is worth $200. $200!!!! :sick: It's amazing. You know, I like the idea of doing everything at once, but no way I think $200 is a fair price for an alignment job, even if it was made by a Mechanic of the Century.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

edited April 2012
    amazed your thinking about what your going to do 3 yesrs from now with a car you just picked up a few weeks ago.

That's what adults do, Sweeny :P ;)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,909
    On my 3rd tank & calculated 20 mpg. Not too shabby for a green engine.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

That seems to be the going rates for dealership alignments. $169 - $199. I can get a good alignment done for $70.

Even if your car came with non staggered tires like on my car, BMW still won't give you a tire rotation because they advise against rotating tires.

My car has all season Continentals.

Sweendogy - I'm just putting some thoughts up for the board to ponder/comment on. No harm in thinking out loud.

Stickguy - I don't know. To me leasing is only worth it if the manufacturer subsidizes it with a ridiculously high residual (like my wife's former '07 X3 @ 65% after 3 years/45K or my current 328xi @ 64% after 30 months/50K) or an insanely low money factor. Don't forget I was also able to take advantage of a $2500 rebate which allowed me to buy the car way under invoice.

If I were to finance, it would cost me $120 per month more ($3600) + with the amount of driving I do, I'm guaranteed a residual value of 64%. 2 1/2 or 3 years down the road if I were to trade the car in, no way the dealer is going to give me $26K for the car, especially when there are similar cars out there (thousands) with 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of miles. No way I'm going to justify a mid to high 6 hundred something lease payment. It's simply too much.

Don't forget, this car payment isn't my only one. I'm on the hook for the Pilot until May 2016.

"that's what adults do"

Really?
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    edited April 2012
    Have you looked at the 2011s? A little more than a year ago when I leased my
    335i xdrive sedan w/ m-sport + most every other option space gray over black interior there was one east of the Mississippi. I worked for about a month to find it at my price. Fast forward a rare car new being in the condition you'd accept used and I'd call that nearly impossible. Right now I plan on buying my lease out if all things stay the same reliability wise and I'm scheduling in a visit to the dealer to explore a Dinan upgrade.
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    The option I choose on my m-sport equipped xdrive was buying dedicated winter tires and just swapping out the summers. The winter set which are OEM wheels and run flats cost me $1200 locally (about half the dealer quoted price). I spend $15-20 each swap twice a year at a local shop. I doubt I'll need to replace my tires on either set over my lease since I'll put maybe 15k miles on each over the duration. Down the line, I either have a second winter set for my next 3er or sell them on EBay for what I paid.
    Most of the owner's complaints on bimmerfest were from low mileage drivers who aren't getting the full value of BMW including scheduled maintenance for the 1st 4 years/50K miles.

I have look At 09-11 - 2 forsale on BMW website but no nav. 09 no m sport but cheaper
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,458
    edited April 2012
    mvs.....ask your dealer about the performance package before spending for Dinan.
    Pp seams like a good deal for 500 bux
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,674
    I agree with Graphic, Dinan makes some well made and thought out products, however the price.... Also ANY work you have done at Dinan or their authorized dealers well notify BMW of any work they perform on your car. The performance pack from BMW is just as good if not better, and cost less too.
    So last Tuesdays I received a phone call from my boss at 1130 am. The conversation went like this.

Boss: Hey how are things going at X hospital.
    FN: Great, training is going well, we have 3 of 12 modules built, and we are ahead of schedule.
    Boss: Good news, how does Miami sound?
    FN: Humid (pause), why (I was afraid to ask, as I knew the answer)
    Boss; your favorite Physician has an emergency; he crashed his EMR (Electronic Medical Record program) about an hour ago.
    FN: (cringe) gawd, not again. I wish he would stop playing with the EMR. (This guy makes more money than god, and he is a tech junkie. He tries and “enhances” his EMR and most of the time he crash’s it.)
    Boss: Well you know the drill, when will you be able to get down there?
    FN: Give me an hour to book my flights and everything, and pack up here.
    Boss: Great….

Fast forward…
    Arrive in Miami to a nice 83 degree day with 55% humidity. Now being someone who has lived in a very low humidity environment, anything over 20% is horrible. Phoenix is usually between 3-5% 90% of the year, it’s a dry heat. However, when in Miami one must drive a convertible. So when I arrive at the car rental, I asked the Emerald Isle agent, so what do you have as far as convertibles? Agent rattles off BMW 650i, MB E class, Porsche Boxster, Infiniti G. Stop right there, I’ll take the Infiniti G, have to say it was breathtaking, Color Vibrant Red (think Jessica Rabbit red) with Wheat Leather Interior, it was a 2012 MY, the car was fully loaded.

Fast Forward….
    After 9 hrs of working on this Physicians EMR, I was done by 3pm Wed afternoon. So with no work for the rest of the week, what was I to do. I called my partner to see if he can get away from work, which he could, burned of FF miles on him, he arrived in Miami Thursdays afternoon, and off to Key West for a mini vacation. So with the drive down and back, it gave me a good idea on how well the G convertible drove. Have to say, I was impressed with it, the seats were comfortable, ride was well controlled, the 7 spd transmission was perfectly suited for the car. Not much wind was buffed in the cabin with the top down; the top went down fairly quickly, same with the top going up.

So over all I liked the car, the color combo was smashing, very elegant, oh MPG, we averaged 25 on the whole trip.

Now regarding Key West, what a place… A great get away…

FN

Now back to our regular tiff about how overpriced BMWs are and how everybody should be driving Infiniti G’s and how the TSX should not be included in the ELLP…
    Andres the key really is to have an extra set of rims and tires. I grew up in San Diego and did the auto cross a lot at Jack Murphy stadium (sorry I can't call it Qualcomm) I campaigned a 1970 Datsun 510 4dr, always had a great time.. If you have a change get to Willow Spring, the street track is OK, but the racetrack is were the run really is.. Haven't been to Pahrump yet.. ButtonWillow is too far.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who buys ethanol-free gasoline. If you consistently purchase ethanol-free gasoline (aka pure gas), and you are willing to speak to a reporter about why you purchase ethanol-free gas rather than the E10 blends sold at most filling stations, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Friday, April 20, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I agree that the G37 Convertible is a sharp car!

Sweendogy - Any particular reason you're looking for a 335 xi w/ sport or M Sport pkg? Only reason I ask is because BMW's Sport Pkg & M Sport PKG on AWD cars differs from the corresponding RWD cars. You still get the bigger (very cool btw) 18" wheels, the rear diffuser (M Sport), the black trim around the windows, the awesome sport seats, but you DO NOT get the upgraded sport suspension. I have to say that Im very happy with the more than capable base suspension set up of my 328xi.

I think the front end- rear end and sport seats are the big draw along with the available 6 speed- I figure if I'm going to go to the dark side - it should be equipped the way I like- the whole sports suspension thing- at this point in my life is a non-event.
    I completely understand. Just curious. Me too. The Sport Seats are awesome. My car has the standard seats.

You'll like the dark side:)

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    What convinced me to go with the G as my next ride was a week rental in Az. After 1500 miles I knew it was the car I would like to drive next. On another trip to the desert state, I was debating between the Genesis and CTS. I choose the CTS. While it was nice, it didn't make me feel it had anything over the G.
    The added items, front and read dams, M sport seats, and bigger wheels are well worth the added price, however, I wouldn't want a BMW with Sport Suspension if I lived in the NorthEast, the roads are not kept up as well and the pot holes will wish you did't get the sport package...
    This rental didn't give me the , OMG I have to have this car vibe. Even though the color combo and Options were what we liked, I'm not sold. Now as Sweeny pointed out James Healy reviewed the Passt TDI, so we went and test drove two of them today.
    Granting you permission to go off topic & let the group know what you thought about the Passat TDI.

*Note, I don't wish the Passat to be added here, just curious as to what FN thought of it

edited April 2012
    So my partner read James Healey reviews on USATODAY and liked what he read, so today we went and test drove two Passt's, both were TDI models, one was a SEL Premium and SE w/Nav and Sunroof both had the DSG transmission.

Let me just say, that the Passt does not qualify as a ELLPS, price wise the SEL fits, however the luxury part it falls very short. The ride is very busy, hard to put a finger one it, but it does not have the German feel that the old passt had. That DSG transmission is incredible, the shift at lighting quick, when places in sport mode, it holds the gear like one would except to hold it . However, the DSG has some jerky moments at low speed, almost like it is caught off guard driving slow, the max torque comes on at a very low 1750 which if you are not careful you will light the tires off leaving a light. Zipping around town the little 2 liter is hard pressed to know it is a diesel, no clatter, no smoke, no turbo lag.. Now VW does have a higher HP version of the 2 liter in Europe, which would fit better in the Passt, merging onto the freeway can be a chore but once you are at 65 mph zipping up to 80 is not a problem, and cruising a long at 80 the car has a very relaxed feel.
    Fit and finish is first rate, we were impressed with that, the wind noise that Healey complained about we did not hear, so maybe VW fixed the problem. The front seats are very comfortable lots of room up front, now the rear leg room will rivial an S class and or A8, I had no problems crossing my legs in the bad, head room was a little short for me, but livable.

Overall I have to say, we both liked the Passt, but at 33K and the dealers are not dealing on them, not too sure if it is the right car for us. Now going to the web site http://www.myturbodiesel.com/ is loaded with information on the VW TDI and DSG transmission.

I think VW has a winner on their hands, yeah it is Motor Trends Car of the Year, fix the ride, add a sport package and have diesel come down in price, then we might buy one.

Having read peoples true world MPG, it is not uncommon for people to get better then what the EPA post for the TDI, so almost 50 on the highway is not uncommon. According to VW a Passt TDI can travel 795 miles on a tank on the highway...
    Check in South Florida if you want a used 335, according to BMW more 335i are sold in the Miami area then any other part of the country. You might be able to find what you are looking for, then you have a good reason for a nice drive home...
    He needs AWD which he will not find in South Florida.