Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,161
    Are you the same guy arguing why thr tsx should be in this category a few months ago?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,662
    Yup, that's me:)

The TSX was a mighty fine automobile, but my BMW is just on another planet. Besides my brief drive in a G37X (which was very entertaining to say the least), I haven't driven anything other ELLPS lately. It's like trying to put Trevor Hoffman & Mariano Rivera in the same category.

Powered By Honda2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,505
    Really? I get 23-24 mpg not even trying to hard on my daily commute (65% highway at 60-80 mph, 35% city). On interstate at 75-85 mph I get 28-29 mpg. Even in Germany, going 90-100 mph (normal cruise speed there if you don't want to be pushed to truck's lane), I got around 23-24 mpg. It is really amazing how they were able to achieve such high mileage on the highway with that six.The mileage admittedly plummets to 18-19 mpg if I do all-city driving.

This batch you drove must be a lot stop-and-go, if you got that trying so hard.

BTW, I'm glad you like deep sea blue. I do to, I got one ;) Actually, it was my third choice. I wanted crimson red, but they discontinued it for 2012 wagons, so they did with montego blue (a little brigther). But when I saw my car on the pedestal in Munich, I immediately fell for it and forgot about my first choices. One downside - you can see every dust particle on it :cry:. I don't like washing my car this frequently, my previous cars were less susceptible to show the dust than this one.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Don't forget my 328xi sedan (AWD Automatic) is hauling around some extra weight compared to your 328i sports wagon (RWD Manual). I think even in dry conditions, my car is sending 5% of it's power to the front wheels. My car is only rated at 25 mpg. Your wagon also has the sport suspension which lowered ride height helps with better mileage.

You've got excellent taste in colors. My wife's (2 cars ago) 2007 X3 was Montego Blue. It was gorgeous. She got tons of compliments on it. It did show every little spec of dust, almost as bad as a black car. Every time we see a Montego Blue X3 or 3 series, she gives me the "HMMMPH" and "The Look" because her Acura TSX was black followed by her Pilot which is Polished Metal Metallic (the Bali Blue only came with Grey Leather on the EXL NAV).

If I were to factory order my car from the factory Id most likely get Deep Sea Blue. The Crimson Red & Sedona Red are nice colors too.

With my 328xi, it was a leftover & I was more concerned with options (Xenon NAV) than colors (as long as it wasn't black).

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,261
    Actually, not to be misleading, but the performance package (335i) can be set up at the dealer....OR, if you order from the factory, it will be delivered with your car already installed.

It was like that for the '11s. Not sure about the '12s.
    Poor Mariano
    The great Mo Rivera WILL BE BACK. Throwing his cutter & breakin bats!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,224
    Doubtful..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,642
    Dino the Euro car's are geared differently, or was this your personnel car on the Euro Delivery? When I did the Euro Del on my 05, the best I got in Germany was 18. I was not going to have a Opal pass me on the Autobahn..
    What does the Performance Package consist of? Since the Twin Turbo 6 in the 6 Series and 7 Series makes 315hp, Will the 3 series w/ PP make the same HP?
    It was Euro Delivery. My overall mileage over 2K miles or so was 21-22, but highway at 90-100 mph was better.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Lookimg at a used 14k mile 2011 335 x manual with all the bells and whistles - car is on a used car lot - car fax suggesd the car was serviced multiple times with tires being mounted 3x times, oil change and a replaced transmission - car wAs then sent to auction where this dealer picked it up. A transmission replaced at 12k miles is huge flag- thoughts from you guys would be helpful.

Does BMW warrantee transfer full and complete?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,638
    run. fast.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Yes it does, is this car at a BMW dealer? If not, take the VIN # to a local BMW and have them print off the service history for you, it will give you the dealers name in which the car was serviced at. You could ask the serving dealer why the tranny was replaced at 12K miles.

I find it interesting that a transmission was replaced it could be a fluke since they are not the weak spot of the car.
    Thanks for the link, however you comment on the webpage makes no sense, why can't you get a PP on a Manuel, AWD 335i? The article doesn't say it not be had...

On a side note, those who bought a 335is, shouldn't be too happy since these are the same HP and torque # as the 335is.
    The difference is 335is has SMG, which would make big difference vs. traditional automatic.

edited May 2012
    Yeah my comment was from last nov -'Ive re-read it since- thanks for pointing it out thou

Guess I was thinking about those leader ads you liked to mention at the time- got me sideways
    Not a BMW dealer- just a used car dealer. I called tHe bmw dealer where the car was bought and serviced - they would not give details as I am not the registered owner.
  • robbiegrobbieg Posts: 327
    So, are we going to replace the CTS with the ATS when it arrives? Just saw the prices. Too close to the 3 series for me. The base engine package seems to compete with the TSX.

Rightly or wrongly, if I was buyying a Caddy instead of a BMW I want a big discount. To me Caddy is closer to Acura in price than it is BMW.
    I don't know the specifics on the ats and its pricing but I agree some discount needs to apply if they are going to be a real threat to the 3. Would love to see what fully optioned out car would be- the maxed out 335 gets to 55k pretty quickly-
    AH, I was not aware of this, yes the SMG would make a big difference.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,006
    If you don't know the pricing, how could you say some sort of discount needs to apply? :confuse:

The V6 with 300+ hp starts at about $42000. Now if it is decked out with much of the stuff that is optional on the 328 like leather, etc, etc, etc. It may already be a value proposition. The base starts at about $33000 and only has the 200 hp. This is probably going to be for people that like a small Cadillac but don't need all the go-go. Again, how decked out "base" cars will be is the question that hasn't been answered by GM yet. If a 270hp 2.0 ATS has enough standard it may still undercut BMW(apples to apples options) so heavy discounting may not be necessary.

No real test drives have been done either so if those turn out to be very good and the pricing is right it may be very competitive. Since we don't have any idea of the standard equipment that goes along with the different engine price points it's kind of silly to be making definitive statements at this point in time.
    edited May 2012
    Well if both cars are equipped the same at the start - and they both are around the same price then BMW would win because well it's a BMW- and since caddy saying this is a 3 series fighter they would need more for less. See g35-g37- similar performance 10k diff in price. If they were priced the same Infiniti would sell fewer cars - pretty simple if you ask me.

The details for pricing on edmunds - posted today do not include any options or standard features - so we have no real clue on how to compare these cars.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,006
    so we have no real clue on how to compare these cars. \

Ummh, that was my point. How can one say the ATS would have to be discounted until we do know the details? The base ATS may have standard that which you might have to pay thousands for on the 328. I agree, BMW has the pinache and history, so if they were very(you're never gonna get exactly) similarly equipped the ATS would have to be at a lower price point or be discounted like you said.
    As much as I'd love to have you as part of the BMW ownership brotherhood on our board here, I'm sure whatever they are asking for that 335xi with the new manual transmission isn't exactly cheap. So I'd pass on this & keep looking if I were you.