Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,602
    NYC I belong to RoadRunner chapter, and have many friends in the San Diego Chapter. I also belong to BMWMOA (motorcycle club.) The BMWCCA is a great club to join, lots of info and great discounts.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,111
    edited May 2012
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,465
    Good read sween. Thanks for posting the link. Shelby's death is indeed sad news, for auto enthusiasts everywhere.

On another note: Let's Go Rangers!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• billyperksiibillyperksii Posts: 198
    Who is this post geared at?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,850
    Hm... first post, post makes no sense, has an insult directed at an unidentified member... yeah, I don't think we need that one in here.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

When I read the post I figured it was a typical post to stir up the pot, it wasn't worth it.
    I like when people stir the pot- why do you think this is edmunds most popular forum ?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,147
    So, I know this has turned into something of a BMW love fest. But, I have to admit that the paint on mine is outstanding. I detailed it Saturday (once/Spring, once/Fall). Not one chip....even after a year of driving it. Still looks great, too (black metallic). Impressive!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,600
    Still looks great, too (black metallic). Impressive!

Take care of it and that paint will look great for years to come. My 2001 330Ci is black (sapphire) metallic and still gets compliments after 11 years and 80,000 miles. ;)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I would hope it would look outstanding, it's a year old- dont know how impressive that is but congrats on no chips-and it's a BMW lovefest for sure- people love everything about, only thing people question is price- see new guys post - oh wait that was deleted.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,215
    Mine is that black metallic/sapphire but doesn't look so great after 3.5 years and 48k miles. Plenty of stone chips and a few scratches. The PO wasn't nearly as caring as you. :sick:

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,997
    Yeah... I think the previous owner of my '06 model lived near a gravel pit...

He had touched up the chips with the wrong color red... I had a body shop clean them up and re-touch up with the correct color.... still... not that great..

Other than that, the paint looks fantastic.. (so, squint and only look towards the rear.... of the car)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Very nice Graphicguy. Nothing like doing a nice detail job yourself. Hard work, but I LOVE the results. My Griots Garagd Random Orbital makes the job so much easier;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Speaking of BMW love. My wife had a training day for work so I took the day off to watch my kids (good thing my Dad is my boss). So by default, I got The Pilot for the day. My wife took my 3. At dinner tonight she asks: "So do you want to take the Pilot to work tomorrow?".

Me: "so you like my car then? I'll let you take it once a week. I haven't driven it since Saturdsy, so I'm taking it tomorrow.

edited May 2012
    Nyc....I have used Zaino for years. I'm thinking it's time to get an orbital buffer, even though the Zaino is easy on and off.

How do you like that Griot unit? Is it the big one or small one?

Andys....I do take care of my cars, in and out.

Q...is your a Midwest car?
    I have the bigger (6"?) Griots random orbital. It DOES NOT swirl. I have a pic on my phone of my former (black) TSX's hood after I waxed it with the orbital. You can see the clouds reflecting from the sky clear as day. All the griots products Ive ever used work as advertised.

Nyc....thanks. I'll check it out.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,600

Nope, my 330Ci is an Arizona car. The ultraviolet can really play havoc with paint out there. I can't take credit for the condition of the paint since I just bought the car this winter.

I'll take the credit for the great paint on my E39 528iA which I keep in NH. I've had it for 8 yrs and the Steel Blue on it is in great shape thanks to frequent detailing and regular waxing. Despite living on a dirt road, there are hardly any chips.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Graphicguy - if you want, make your email public or drop me a line and I'll send you the pictures.
    lcs
    at
    Gmail

You could wax & buff 2 cars in the time it normally takes to do 1.

• billyperksiibillyperksii Posts: 198
    Graphic, Iam die hard Zaino user and I dont think that I will ever use another product. The orbital you mentioned, is it just for applying and removing the polish? I have seen the products you use adverised in Car and Driver but was not really intrested because the Zaino polymers are just in a class by themselves.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,215

Nope. Lived its life in NJ.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

edited May 2012
    nyc.... Shoot an email to me at my Edmunds user name at yahoo.

Billy.....I've kind of settled in with Zaino's AIO product. I used to do all the mixing of additives, using different Zaino products. Now, I get a really good shine, and really good protection using their "all-in-one" product. One coat usually gets me about 6 months of "beading". BMW paint responds really well to it, too (Black Sapphire Metallic).

Q...in all fairness, my vehicles are garaged. So, I think that adds a lot in keeping the finishes in better shape. That said, I think this is the first car I've owned where the paint doesn't show one ding, one chip, one scratch....after a year. This bodes well (not like I keep any car long enough for the finish to get worn to begin with :shades: ).
    Check your inbox graphicguy

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,507
    edited May 2012
    I have been out of [ internet ] touch for a week and a half, or so. In scanning through recent posts, I have seen reference to the BMW 335iS [ I am at 8,000+ miles on a lease - a 2011 Coupe with DCT ] and references to the SMG trans.

I drove an M3 w/SMG trans. Once. Several years ago. Not smooth, I agree. The DCT, I find to be incredibly smooth under almost every driving circumstance, amazingly quick in up & down shifting – and for me, it works extremely well with the TQ of the ‘overboosted’ N54.

I chose the 335iS for several reasons. And I am quite happy with my choice. Compared with the BMW Performance Power Kit for the N54 engines, the 335iS overboost provides 370 TQ, for long enough to get into a heap of trouble. The PPK offers 317 TQ w/DCT. [ Below quote from BMW. ] The DCT was not available in the ‘regular’ 335i. The stock performance exhaust on the ‘iS’ is a nearly perfect compromise [ for me ] between interesting and obnoxious volume – and I find the sound at WOT to be absolutely intoxicating. Oh, and I really liked the style of the 18” wheels on the ‘iS’. [ Style 313 ]

- Ray
    FWIW

'Torque is increased to 332 lb-ft (when equipped with an automatic transmission) and 317 lb-ft (when equipped with a manual or DCT transmission).'
    I'll have a chance to sample it later this summer or early fall. A friend of mine has a new M5 on order (with the DCT) & I've already been promised a test drive;)

• rwollerrwoller Posts: 3
    I love my active cruise control on my 2006 series 3. I was thinking about buying a new E30 version, but there is no active cruise. Does anyone know what happened to it? Is it available in Europe? Is it in the cards for the future.

If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry. I couldn't find how to create a new section.

Raymond
    Ray right section- nothing but BMW experts here, ex me- answer being researched right now by one of them - would also point out Infiniti has this as part of a tech pack - plus there are 3k deals off cars right now from the manufacture -
    Raymond the active Cruise was offered on the E30, it will be offered on the F30 not until July. .
    Excellent, I hope that BMW got the DCT right this time!!! Of course it was called SMG in the past...