Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,508
    'Acura will get a look-see, but I'm thinking so will Infiniti and Audi and Cadillac'
    Why does BMW not make the cut?
    - Ray
    Just curious....
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,486
    I agree. In my opinion Acura's issues are reflection of its parent Honda problems. I'm not sure if it is simple funding, excessive aversion to risk, or what it is, but their recent offerings are really so unispiring that it seems like they're sliding into second tier (Honda) or even oblivion (Acura).

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,602
    Interesting that you bring up the Integra, it was based somewhat on the Civic, but the ILX is a civic in a pretty dress. So we shall see how it sells, if Honda can't sell the new Civic, then Acura will have a harder time selling the ILX.. The buyer they are shooting for is a very savoy buyer, doubt they will spend 31K for a ILX when they can buy a 2 yr old BMW for the same price... Honda has some problem, the Insight is not selling, the current Accord hasn't sold in the #'s that honda was looking for, the current Civic was cheapened and it shows. Lets hope that Honda gets it right soon, or they might be in a world of hurt.

Acrua should have made the ILX into something that the Integra was, a sporty entry level upsacle car... Not a luxury car, but an upscale car.
    Hey Fed, I have stated before that Acrua needs to drop the turbo 4 in the TSX, make it a low pressure turbo, 225hp with 240lbs of torque. this would give the TSX the need off the line power it has been lacking. Drop the V6, and if Acrua thinks a AWD version is needed, just increase the boost of the turbo to counter act the added weight. Have a Dual Clutch Auto with, have the 0-60 times in the high 5's... Keep the price right about 35K, Acrua would sell every since one of them...
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    Well, I would include, believe it or not, BMW and Volvo whilst I was shopping. I might even test drive a Mercedes just for the heck of it too.

My wife's 3 Bimmers were pretty much joys to drive. The exclusion of any ELLPS or LPS car from future consideration was an oversight. Nothing more.

:blush:
    Hey Mark, is appears BMW has brought back their Value Package, which gives you leather interior, iPad connection and BMW App for free on the E90 body style cars (Wagon and Coupe) this is about a $2500 saving. Not too sure what you are looking at, however, this is a nice savings.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,111
    edited May 2012
    I agree turbo 4 seems the way to go but it looks like Acura Killed the turbo in the rdx and now has a standard 6. It has Nothing to do with the transmission, duel clutch might be nice but as you and another have mentioned its not the reason they are going the way of the Dodo bird.

Sports update rangers lose, yanks up 3-0.

The Acura brand as stated before is the Asian Buick of this segment. No coupe, no convert, one standout with the mdx. NSx will be cool to see at the dealerships- but going to take more then a commercial with Jerry and Leno to get people to buy.
    Acrua (Honda) could not do anything wrong, which was nice, the original NSX was years ahead of the competition, it is not uncommon to find a early NSX with 150K miles on it that is squeak free and runs like it is new. The early MDX the same thing, built very well, styling was typical Japanese you either loved it or hate it. Acrua (Honda) of today has made some big mistakes, and it shows. Their sales have dropped, cars that were the benchmark are not today. Placing a V6 in the TSX was the biggest mistake for them. The price places the V6 TSX in BMW territory. Drop the V6, bring a nice turbo 4 in, 235hp and 255lbs of torque (at 1700) as the top engine, and the base engine be the engine they have today the 2.4l.

Place a nice turbo 4 in the TL as the base engine, add a 7 or 8 spd Dual Clutch transmission, keep the base price under 35K, have leather standard, along with Nav. FOr the Type S, V6, dual clutch 7 or 8 spd, AWD, fully loaded price 44K. ACrua needs to go back to the pricing game and continue to give people more for their money.

Drop the ILX, it is a POS, too expensive for what you are getting...
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,486
    edited May 2012
    It is spelled ACURA, not Acrua. I write it only because the misspelling error seems to be repeated many times here (I mean on the forum, not just your post), for whatever reason. Wouldn't bother to correct anyone if it was sporadic, but reading back the pattern of posts indicates incorrect knowledge, not just typos.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Dino - just did a search of the last 20 acrua "typos", flight was responsible for 15- you might be on to something.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited May 2012
    Dino and Sweeny = Funk and Wagnall?
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Yes, the two most common typos I see people make is Acrua and Infinity. It is Acura and Infiniti people, it's not hard!

Let's see if we don't see a couple of Leuxs going on before long, :P
    No infinity typos on this board according to a 6mth search I just ran.
    Dino, my iPad loves to auto correct words it not sure of, so it changes the words on me, I guess I should add ACURA to the dictionary so it does not change the words...
    How dare you not spell check before posting!

You sir are banned from Carspace for 10 minutes!
  • wirelesswireless Posts: 47
    lawman, how's the Porsche treatin ya?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    I see a lot of Rouge.... substituted for Rogue....

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The Porche is alsulotely fantastac! I shoold have gottan won yeers ago!
  • greg128greg128 Posts: 337
    i herd those cars are real quite and have reely gud breaks and dont brake down
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    Typical Porsche owner.... ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• wirelesswireless Posts: 47
    How do you think it's going to hold up? Heard horror stories about the service visits. Have you had it in yet for a routine service.
    edited May 2012
    Parts and service are expensive, but service visits are infrequent with proper care. They are built like tanks and very reliable if taken care of. Quality is just amazing - they are simply one of the best built, most durable cars on the road.

I can't speak for modern Porsches, but in my opinion, air-cooled 911's were purpose built to go fast and be driven hard. 911's that sit and sit are the ones that break down. Drive it often and hard and it just asks for more. Mostly hand built, pre-996 911's were designed to last a lifetime if properly maintained.

The key is preventative maintenance. I was careful to buy a one-owner car with complete maintenance history. With regular scheduled service, I expect my 911 will outlast me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKBiyu81oPM&feature=related
    Loved the video- Narrated by Patrick Stewart (actor)- no key holes segment very informative.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,157
    Cool video....really liked it. I have a business colleague who is a huge Porsche-maniac. While he really likes my car, he still goads me that I should buy a 911. Maybe....someday.....!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    Fedlawman - my Mom has a 2011 Cayenne & I am absolutely blown away by how well it is screwed together. Every little detail is perfectly thought out, from the exhaust note @ start up to the metal seat adjustment controls. I haven't driven it, but the ride is perfectly taut & crisp.

To keep the post on topic, I do wish Porsche would come out with a car in this ELLPS segment.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

edited May 2012
    Taut and crisp is a great way to describe it. It's like how you buy a new car and it feels so solid and tight with perfectly damped steering, suspension, shifter, etc. Then a year or two later, you're driving along and you think how it's still great, but it doesn't have that new feeling anymore. Well, my 17 year-old Porsche feels like that new car - I can only imagine what it felt like back in 1995.

I suspect that Audi has the ELLPS segment pretty much locked up for Porsche. Porsche would have to make a car that sells for under $50,000 (OK, the Boxster starts at $49,999 - or whatever), and that just won't happen.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,157
    While I haven't been kind in voicing my opinions about Mercedes, it looks like they are actually throwing a legit contender into this field. While I thought they were taken the C class in the wrong direction by having a performer even more tepid than the C300 in the C250, they also have announced a C 350 coupe (even available with 4Matic). I'll be interested in reading some reviews about it.
    My father had a 73 911RS, fun car to drive, however, I never knew why the starter switch was on the left side of the dash, that was until I saw the video... Make sense. Of course the racing community would complain about any advantage a manufacture would have (Porsche with the left side starter switch) , just like they complained about the advantage Audi was having with AWD (winning the Trans-Am series its first season competing), and Ducati was having with the V-Twin.
    Hey Fed, have you decoded your option list?

http://www.kindel.com/porsche/options/options.asp