Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    GG--

This little dust-up reminds me of a debate that descended into a verbal assault over on Edmunds "Inside Line". As often happens someone gets critical--even nonsensical over some perceived problem with a technology or car, in this case the new Scion/Subie joint venture.

Anyway, this anti-Scion poster argued vehemently (one could almost imagine the spittle on his computer screen) that no car could be called a sports car with only 200 HP as if that as the only measure of a sports car could be distilled into one number divorced from all other driving characteristics. No amount of argument from others would sway him from his position. I liked it when another poster pointed out that by that narrow definition no Austin Healey, MG, Triumph, Fiat, etc--all mid-60s icons of sportiness-- could be classified as a sports car.

Alas, neither would my 92 MR2 with only 140 HP, but it always feels like a sports car to me (and GG I whisper this: it has a manual)

Gogiboy
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited June 2012
    200hp? Where do these guys crawl out from?

Here are some of the non-sports cars I've owned over the years...

79 Alfa Romeo Spider, 86 Honda (Jackson Racing) CR-X Si, 88 BMW 325is, 91 Nissan Sentra SE-R, 94 Mazda Miata.

Now that I think about it, out of the 20 or so cars I have owned over the years, only 2 have had more than 200hp.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,662
    interesting question about HP. Thinking back, I am pretty sure the only ones I have had are my 2000 Acura TL (really my son's car) and my wife's Odyssey.

Maybe the 1970 Nova I briefly had (never registered that dog). I know it had a V8, but no clue how much HP it had than (or ever!).

So of cars that I actually plated and drove, probably just those 2. Had a 1998 Maxima SE, but that only had 190 I think. But was quick.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

Only 190hp, but the Maxima had a 4DSC sticker on the window, so it counts. :)
    daring to venture back onto topic...

stopped at the Audi dealer today to look at a Q5 (not a back little wagon). Only had 1 of those in stock, but man, they had A4s stacked up everywhere.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,538
    Hey Gogi....haven't seen you around in awhile. Where have you been?

Don't be a stranger.

I should know better than to be drawn into those types of pretentious/contentious posts.

My son really likes the Subie version of that BRZ. I told him he probably has another 4-5 years on his newly acquired Fiesta (which he really likes, with its version of a dual clutch trans automatic) before he should look at one. Who knows what will be available by then. His circumstances will dictate.

For good or ill, he's inherited his Dad's love of cars.....even automatics.

I think those Maximas only came as automatics....the 4 door sports car (4DSC).
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    No the Maximas in the mid/late 90s were available with 5 spd manual trannies. Don't know about the the later ones. I had a 96.
    you could get a stick for 2 generations past that. I had a '99 SE 5 speed, and when they redesigned them (I think for 2001) you could still get a stick.

actually, the prior generation to what is out now (the ones with the glass stripe roof) were available with a stick too. Saw one for sale not that long ago.

• gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    GG--

I'm still hanging around--not too much posting. I guess I'm spending too much time in the studio and with my dogs.

I see where the Subie/Scion Twins were #1 and #2 for shortest time on dealer lots for May (4 days and 5 days respectively), which makes sense given their recent release.

I mentioned on Sales Stories that I looked at a Scion frs on the lot of my local dealership. It's a good looking car from the outside, but the interior looks rather cheap to me. I think it's in keeping with the "driver's car" philosophy being espoused by Toyota (and it's probably keeping the cost down). The one on the local lot lasted close to three weeks before it sold. I haven't seen it around town yet although it might have been purchased by someone from OKC or Tulsa since they are only 60 miles away and the pricing is fixed with Scion so buyer's will pay the same anywhere. Actually, I say that and I know my local dealership doesn't play any mark-up games so maybe it's a better deal if some of the dealers are charging a surcharge for these high-demand cars.

By the way congrats on the Audi. My brother did a similar move last winter, but reversed the brands. They own an Audi Allroad and he just added a new BMW X-3 to their stable. His wife drives the Allroad and he drives the X-3. Interestingly, he went from a BMW 3 series to a Honda Element to the X-3, which strikes me as a bit auto schizophrenic.

Gogiboy
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,690
    Hey Fed, talk about back in the day..... Jackson Racing, I don't think many people on the each coast know about this little company...

FN
    Hey Stick not too sure if the Q5 talk is allowed, since it is a SUV... :P

But since you brought it up, Audi will be importing a diesel version of the Q5 for 2013, it will be a 2L diesel 190hp and roughly 300+lbs of torque. Since MB will be bring the GLK blue tec diesel over for 2013. I haven't heard about a X3 Diesel..

Yes, the Q5 is a very nice SUV, well built very solid. But pricey.
    Well I did it, I sold my 2011 328i, on Friday when I got back in town I call the gentlemen who I meet at the BMW dealership (when my partner and I went and test drove a 335d) he hadn't bought a car yet, and he told me that mine was exactly the color combo and options he was looking at. About 20 minutes on the phone with him, he came by today, before 8am (it is really the only time one can stand being outside for any length of time it's been 110 here) went for a drive, he will be back on Monday afternoon with a certified check. Overall I had 2 people come look at the car, didn't hear back from them.

One down, I'm having a hard time wanting to place the 330 up for sale, I'll see how I feel after this coming week.
    edited June 2012
    FN...congratz! 1/2 down....another car to go. I can see that RS4 in your driveway, now! :)
    Congrats Flightnurse!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,994
    Congrats my man!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,190
    Yeah, Way to go
    edited June 2012
    All.....clearly, I never followed the Maxima lineage. Matter of fact, I think I was only in one once a few years ago...driving a rental. It seemed nice enough.

gogi....I know that Scion came out with a big splash. But, I have yet to see any of their newer offerings on the road. As mentioned, my son pointed out the BRZ to me. He's go the hots for one. Not sure he's got the means at this stage, though. He's saving up for a house. His GF is bugging him for a ring. If/when that happens, he's looking at minivans in pretty short order.

Trade market is strong. Pulling the trigger on the S4 was predicated on me kicking in some money for the SO. That meant getting decent $$$$ for the Accord. And, for her to sell her '03 Subie Outback, which she's putting in for some minor repairs (CV joints, A/C check and charge) before hitting the newspaper ads.

May have another Sales story regarding selling the Subaru shortly. I have to get a good detail on it, after it comes back from the shop with a clean bill of health. So, it will be a few weeks, yet.

Again, hope you stick around.
    I hope all of you are enjoying your 4th at home, grilling and enjoyed the day. I still haven't placed the 330 up for sale yet, however, I have decided that I wont be getting another sedan even though the RS4 is an incredible car, since my partners next car will be a sedan, this leaves me to get the car I have wanted for a while, a NSX. Talk about a car that hold it's value..... Now time to get get outside and clean the grill, the weather people are calling for rain here in the valley of the sun... A nice change from the 111 degrees we have been having.

FN
    Don't understand why you can't have multiple sedans in a family setting? Why not have the partner get the coupe or convert? I will say the "downgrade?" to the NSx could not be a better more exotic pick. Make sure you get the manual because I think the auto was slower and had less hp(maybe its just my bias towards stick, but I think this may be true). Love the NSx - the end of it coincidently ended Acura as a cheap lux sport brand it was previously known- now its just Hondas Buick line. Better pick one quick before Jerry stienfield and jay Leno come swoop one up.
    Being a armchair quarterback is easy to do, however, when you don't have all the facts one ends of washing egg off ones face. If it was easy as you say it would be done. We have a 3 car garage, one bay is taken up by my oldest hobby (love), motorcycles, I have some classic's, old school and new school bikes (6 total). So this leaves two bay open, before selling the 328, that was sitting outside, while the 330 was in the garage, the other bay belongs to what Rick drives. I travel for work, I'm on the road more then I am home, so to have multi sedans was not a good use of space. The 328 had 4500 miles on it (two trips to San Diego in it) and was bought back in Oct-2011, when I was home and the weather was good (which was most of the time) I would ride one of the bikes. So with the sale of both BMW's this will give me enough cash to buy the NSX that I want, the extra money would go to Rick and whatever he wants. We are all happy and the driveway is not cluttered with cars.
    edited July 2012
    When you find that minty fresh low mileage NSX, you know, after months of research, test drives, and a PPI, let me know the name and phone number of the owner before you buy it.

I'll make sure it's a good one for you - just for your peace of mind... :blush:
    Whatever floats your boat- I just remember the past posts saying you love the super s4 rs4, was selling the new 328 for it. NSx great pick, either way. Make sure you run it by fed law, guy has had good luck with m3s and Porsches. Rick should be happy - NSx in the 3rd bay, exotic in, 328 out-. Question - why not a hybrid? Seems like plenty of toys already, maybe thow a escape hybrid or comp in the mix and save the planet for trips to stop and shop.
  • wirelesswireless Posts: 47
    Keep us posted. Love this storyline!
    I have been looking for the past year, in fact I was in Mystic Ct, last week to look at a 1992 NSX, Yellow, 13K miles, asking 39K. I'll keep that in mind Fed.. :P
    The sedan is Ricks car, to be honest I would get a Tesla S. No other car on the road is as sleek and sexy as the "S" model. Much less then a MB Hybrid and better looking. Its not my call.
    Agree Tulsa s is a sexy beast. NSx not to far behind and it's 2O years OLd, I love the newer NSx with non-pop up lights best- plus they added a 6 speed manual something you can you can't get in a tulsa - or a lamborghini these days.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,994
    Best of luck with your search flightnurse. Please keep us posted on your quest. I think you may be here in CT more than you'd think, Greenwich Acura (15 min from my house) was the largest NSX dealer in the world.

I drove a '91 NSX sans power steering and it was awesome. Maybe you could buy inside line's long term NSX when they're done with it;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Did you eat at the Captain Daniel Packer Inn? Love that place!
    FN....you have good taste in cars. Like everyone else, keep us informed on your search. Love to hear how it unfolds. I don't see too many NSX's anymore. Never saw that many when they were first introduced.

Always wanted to at least test drive one. Unfortunately, I never got the chance before they went on hiatus.

Good luck!
    Took my 335i in for its first oil change on Monday. They gave me a loaner car to use, but couldn't understand why since it shouldn't take very long to just change the oil and check a few things.

But, it was a '12 335i sedan, the new F30 update. I had already driven the 328i 4 cyl version. While there have been a lot of accolades about it, I still preferred the former 6 cyl 328i. Plus, there were other things I really didn't care for on the '12s.....the "start/stop feature", which really felt half backed in the 3, and certainly not befitting such a car.

I don't know the "theme" of the interior on the loaner, but the interior was black with red accents. Very nice. The interior is a nice upgrade from mine.

Mine feels a tad quicker, but mine has the performance pack. I really couldn't feel much difference between the 8-speed auto in the '12 vs my 6 speed.

All-in-all, not an upgrade worth spending money on compared to mine. But, as BMW is want to do, somewhere down the line they'll make some incremental changes that may catch my fancy. They aren't there right now, though.

Still, nice update.

I wasn't able to get back to the dealer until later in the day. My sales person happened to be in service when I got there to pick up my freshly oiled, washed and dried car. We chatted a bit.

"What do you think of the new one"?

"Nice....but not enough of a difference maker to me."

"They're hard to come by....335i, plus we haven't even seen an xDrive version yet. I'm steering people to order a '13 since the '12s were slow to roll out."

"Interesting...I'd think BMW would love to put a bunch of them in the dealers just to get a big jump on the new model roll out."

So, I guess if you're in the market for a new one, '13s are the way to go, and you'll have to order one.