Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Is start/stop on all 3series cars or just North American cars?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,546
    My bad sweendogy. That's just like me. I live in CT (New England) & work in The Bronx.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,220
    Fed...not sure if start/stop is on any other BMW models other than the 3 Series!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,624
    At least in the Jaguar pantheon, it is "entry level." With the death of the dearly beloved X-type ;) the XF became the poor man's special... But, in size and price, it's really a LPS. IMHO, of course.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,141
    Drove my complete commute today - 7 miles with ESP on- think I toped out at 30mph- saw alot of bikers on the local roads- 85 degrees - no rain . The car with ESP drives very similar when it's off - one other thing to note - used my Bluetooth on the ride home, first time since April, asked the wife if she wanted me to pick up dinner, she said no - already made something - with the ESP on I felt safer in making such a call.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,796
    ...yesterday I took a left turn in front of a black Cadillac CTV coupe. Very mean looking.

As I passed the driver, I was stunned to see this lady driving it:

So much for stereotypes...

:D
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,631
    I read someplace that the Auto Stop/Start can be turn off completely by having the BMW dealer updating the the software. Basically the update allows the computer to "remember" the last function of this feature. So if you turned it off when you got into the car and turned the car off, then the computer remember this and the system is turned off when the car is restarted. On a side note my neighbor has 2007 BMW 335i, been having some issues with the A/C, he bought it as a CPO, the car is back in the shop, he has a 2012 328i, the dealer forgot to tell him about the auto stop/start, when he left the dealership with the loaner, he came up a light, waited, the car stopped. At first he wasn't too sure the issue, went back to the dealership with the car where they explained this feature. He doesn't like it... He liked the car overall, but not that feature, I explained about the computer update the dealership can do with it.
    Fed, I believe it is on all Euro 3 series, from the 316 to 335d. I believe for 2013 all BMW;s will get it in Europe. Will be interesting to see how this feature will increase MPG on the big 760i's
    Rob the last big CTS commercial I saw had a 30 something female driving the CTS. There is a black CTS-V down the street from me with custom graphic on saying "Barrett-Jackson" on the side. The diver is a middle-age lady, I also found out that she is the wife of the VP of Barrett Jackson the car also have manufacture plates on it. Nice perk... He drives a black on black on black Hummer H2 with manufacture plates.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,991
    edited August 2012
    Here is one article on the BMW 3 reprogramming for the start/stop from about 5 days ago. It was also on several other car related sites.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/bmw-allowing-dealers-to-re-program-start-stop- /
    You do live dangerously if you apply the "breaks" if your car gets "a little loose in a turn." that is one good way of ending up in the ditch. Just saying...
    FN.....of all the positive attributes my BMW possesses, the A/C isn't one of them. It works....but not nearly as well as my former TL or the GF's S4.

Agree with you....braking hard, in a corner, stability control off? Somebody is swapping ends. Wonder which driving school teaches that technique? :P
    Who said "hard breaking"? - enjoy the computers and auto transmissions you auto enthusiast.
  • Sween, dont you drive a 5 speed auto tranny G35?
    So what is all the rant about auto tranny?

Honestly, I wanted the manual TL but I know my wife drives my car ever so often. My plan (if I ever get around to it) is to purchase RSX type S with the stick as a beater car. Hopefully in the 3k to 4k range, then I can probably join your club and rant all day about manuals :)
    My "rant" is with car guys who say the auto is better car- not the guys who get the auto because the wife is driving, I understand some factors restrict certain transactions. I have a g35x - (traded a jetta Gli) and would have gotten stick if it was offered, but Infiniti on awd cars does not, I live in new England, it's a shame which I've mentioned here in forums and have written to Infiniti as well. Could I have bought a 335, a4, Tl or others but for the money it was a no brainer. Closest thing was the TL- and have you seen the face of those ?
    It seems that if someone really, really wants a stick shift they wouldn't let a little snow stop them. I've heard so many times that proper snows and traction control let RWD cars compete heads up with an AWD car with all seasons. Now add to that scenario someone that likes to live a little dangerously in the first place and it seems like a pretty lame excuse blaming the car company.

I grew up in Michigan on stick shifts with RWD with no ESP, traction control or ABS brakes on bias ply tires. Still alive somehow.
    Sweeny what is interesting is how you turn peoples words around. The "people" you say "car guys who say the auto is better car" no one has stated that, what has been said is, that the newer generation auto have become just as good as cars with manual transmission. Now a true auto enthusiast understand this. There will always be people who will have to have a manual car, and there will always be people who will want an auto. Neither is right or wrong, but for some reason you have made it a point to say, that people who choose an auto is a lessor person for that choice. So why doesn't Infiniti build a G37X with a manual? Is is a lessor car then say a Audi A4 or BMW 328iX ?
    Hey M6, my partner is from Flint and he says the same thing, and car's today with traction control and RWD can get around in snow very well, since most of the Car mag's are based in Ann Arbor Michigan, and not all of the long term cars have AWD, they do not seem to have a problem driving in the snow. They just change the tires to some good snow tires and drive....
    Graphic what is interesting is how poor the Germans A/C's are, way back in 1986 I bought a 190E 2.3-16 (wish I had that car today) the A/C was OK living in San Diego. In 1988 I bought a MB 300SDL (for work) and again in San Diego the A/C was ok, but get that car in the Desert (Las Vegas, Phoenix, and or Yuma) and the A/C was not OK... Over the years the Germans have done better, my 330 I don't have the problem as I did with the 300SDL, the 330 can keep me cold all day.. However, the Japanese have always had a good A/C unit in their cars.
    Hey Sweeny doesn't your G35 have Traction control (computer), and an Auto ? So how are you enjoying your sports sedan, you auto enthusiast?
    No excuse. I found the value of the Infiniti a no brainer when compared to anything in its class- I have nav awd and 300hp for 36500- that's what I paid - no other car came close. Who's blaming a car company,? if they has the demand and the "car enthusiasts" asked for it they would build it. Like I said, I have written them to express my thoughts. Michigan, I would def have to ESP on of traveling - I also think modern cars that have snow tires are better then standard slicks, but add snows to awd in Vermont and its a mt lion. Again I don't live dangerously in snow and rain conditions. I know your comment was ment as a diss, but I don't play with my life.
    Clown question, bro
    "I know your comment was ment as a diss, but I don't play with my life. "

Aren't you the one that said you liked to live a little dangerously? Maybe I read wrong. If so, sorry.

Doesn't the RWD G37 have over 300hp and nav for even less than $36,500??? Seems like that would have been the real value. Could even have spent the extra money on some great snow tires. ;)
    I did say that, but prob should re-read the response in context.

I think the rwd starts at 42. Tad higher
    Are you kidding? The AWD is $1600 more than the RWD. Pretty much like any other car manufacturer in the world the AWD is more than a RWD or FWD. Why twist things? You're the one that is always touting that you do your research and deal in facts.

2012 G37 Journey = $37,795
    2012 G37X Base = $39,395
    Title of your post is - stick shift - correct ?
    We were talking about stick vs auto correct-

the g with the stick is 41500. I do research, you cant get a journey with stick, i also respond to what we we were talking about - talk about doing the twist.
    edited August 2012
    Sorry, I stand corrected. Didn't know you couldn't get the Journey with a stick shift. Wasn't trying to twist...just a mistake. But you didn't include destination chg($895) so the price is really even more which is $42395.

However, the Sport model is loaded with equipment that is not found on the G37x so after adding similar equipment like the prem. pkg and nav the MSRP on the G37x is actually $43,745 which is more than the G37 Sport. You may have paid $36,500 but you would have gotten a similar deal on the Sport model.

Just saying that if you wanted the stick it would have been very close in price and equipment just minus the AWD.
    edited August 2012
    NP that's why I do research- Another thing to add at the time when I bought my g- they cars where structured a bit differently - the stick shifts were very rare and the ones on dealer lots were demos- infact they all got One Sport when the new body came out in 2007. So to say i would of gotten a similar deal is wishful thinking, I needed a car- did the research and was able to hammer out a deal; 31k miles later no probs - I would trade in a second for a 42k g37x stick, or a 2012 335x equiped the same at 42k (not going to happen) I think it's a fantastic value in sedan form

The destination charge same on all g37s
    FN...it could be that we've had one of the hottest summers I can remember here in SW OH. But, my 3's A/C struggled with 90+ degree heat. Under that temp, it was fine. GF's S4 A/C, set on 74 deg would freeze you out., even when it hit 100+ deg.
    Graphic, I wasn't traveling the week we hit 118, and my 3 had no problems in stop and go traffic, you might want to have your checked. I would assume if my 3 can handle 118 then your's should too... So hows the S4 ?