Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    Lucky for the ELLPS folks that the drive-in movies are a thing of the past. Can you imagine if a pick-up parked in front of an A4?

Heck, you'd have better ordered the moon roof to see the screen!

Also, good luck getting close to your date in one of these sardine cans! Houdini would have had trouble in, say, an IS250 . Just stick to holding hands for the duration of "Night of the Living Dead". Heck, that's why us guys took the babes to see the horror movies, to get up front and personal. In these cars, even the back seat is off limits!

These are pretty tight flying pigs to me! :P

Regards,
    OW
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "hope your getting something significantly more in the HP department; something like 300HP or more."

There aren't too many Lotus Elise owners complaining about a lack of HP...
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Went to a drive-in with my 06 330i last July - a friend had 20 of us go to the only drive-in around San Diego for her b-day - and we saw just fine. The spots are tilted.

Horrible movie by the way - Pirates 2. I wanted to gouge out my eyes and set myself on fire for even sitting through it.
    You went to the drive-in and actually watched the movie?!?!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    We were there with 20 other friends. We want to get frisky, we go to our home. It was a party - BBQs, lawn chairs, liquor, etc. (I didn't drink alcohol as I was a driver).

BTW, the stereo in the BMW was horrid for a movie soundtrack. It was the only time I recall ever using the radio reception and the speakers/reception/etc sucked massively.
    Blue, that's real funny!

That's why you need bench seats...it's not really about the movie anyway! ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    I don't think this is the first time that a G beats a 3er. Isn't that several years ago when the G35 first came out that it beats out the E46 3er to become the best ELLPS? However, this one is definitely more significant since the 335i is new as well as the G37.
  • mayberryguymayberryguy Posts: 145
    Does anyone else find it suspicious that Infiniti supplied the 335i for the MT article?

Is Motor Trend so lazy they can work a clutch anymore? Pathetic. :mad:
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Mind you, I have NEVER owned a BMW and I still think my 1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed was one of the best cars I've ever owned, but that Motor Trend article is so full of crap I can smell it coming out of my computer.

First, the absolutely pathetic (I agree mayberryguy) excuse for comparing slushboxes that Motor Trend quotes: they are more "popular". For crap's sake, you Motor Trend idiots, you are comparing two performance oriented coupes (not the more "popular" sedans or some Camry/Accord lookalike) that cater more to the "enthusiast" buyer. And then you do the test of slushbox against slushbox and actually think any serious enthusaist gives a crap? Save the trees and stop printing such garbage.

But, guess what, the BMW still wins in EVERY single performance category. Acceleration, skidpad, braking (tie actually). And it gets almost 20% better gas mileage. Pretty easy to see who the "winner" is in this slushbox comparo from my seat.

Oh, but wait, the BMW costs $8k more than the Infiniti. Well, I hate to break it to those MT rocket scientists, but if you take BMW's 20% better fuel economy, BMW's included maintenance and BMW's much better resale value there is NO real difference in cost over 4-5 years. But that's way above their math skills.

As best I can tell, the marketing department of Nissan paid Motor Trend, big time, for a complete BS comparison. If they didn't, they should send Motor Trend a big box of chocolates. Too bad, because I would have actually liked to see an honest, unbiased comparison of the G37 coupe against the 335i coupe equiped the way anyone who really wants to DRIVE these cars would - with a manual transmission. And without some assinine concluding comment like "considering the micro performance margins and macro price differential".

MT needs to take a macro walk off a micro pier on this one. Utter crap.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    I agree completely. I also find it suspect that in the second time these cars were pitted against each other, the BMW was not equipped w/ an oil cooler.

Not to take anything away from the G37 but from a performance aspect, I think we all know who really won.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    Well, I was waiting for this, and thank you for providing it -- didn't have to wait long.

I'm the proud? owner of a MT COTY from back in '99 & am here to say that advertising dollars may be at work here.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    habitat1, good to see you back in action. ;)

As you may know by now, I don't have a problem with MT testing out 2 automatic performance coupes since 99.9% of the buyers will most likely intend to buy these cars as daily drivers instead of for track use. Hint: these are not the equivalence to the 911 or even the Boxster. :P

However, I do agree with you 150% that this comparo has BS written all over it. How can the car wins in all categories loss a head-to-head comparison? MT can spin it anyway they want but this one will be too hard to justify. I guess MT is desperate for more subscribers and by "dethroning" an obvious current benchmark will no doubt generate some heat.

Another good example of the current MT strategy is the RX350 vs. Veracruz comparo.
    The G37 Coupe has a 112" wheelbase and weighs #3800 lbs! If you want a slushbox too, you might as well buy a Crown Vic.
  • storrk1storrk1 Posts: 13
    Hi. Does anyone know if the Infiniti G sedan will receive the 3.7 liter, coupe engine? I'm considering the purchase of a sedan but will wait if it will get the 3.7 liter engine. Thanks.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    I agree, nothing wrong in comparing two auto trannies.

Kinda lame in doing so, but they should be equally lame.

What I find interesting is the line
    “With little or no pretense to practicality, their designers are given extra latitude to help seduce the emotional right brains of prospective buyers...”

No pretense to practicality...except your mom's slush box.

I haven't driven both...the G may be the better auto sports (GT ?) car.
    I can't get excited about the articles in these rags. I test what I like and make my own choice. I tested a A/T 2005 G35 coupe and my take was the car did not have as solid a feel as the 330i sedan I tested. I rather the 4 door variant and the previous G35 sedan was NOT appealing in my view.

I assume I am not a true enthusiast (just a candy [non-permissible content removed]) but I like to drive and honestly, you can have fun with an A/T. That said, I agree the purist point that Habitat and Fedlawman make regarding a comparo in this category should have the M/T. I won't look forward to the next article in the series, however. Why do they keep choosing 3'ers that get hot? I believe in one sedan test, they had to shut it down also. Not sure if MT or Edmunds, though.

Don't get me wrong, I've driven three-on-the tree and four on the floor but now I am just a drag!

Wow, I thought my car was a mini-van! The new G is 150 lbs. heavier! Holy Cow, Batman!

Regards,
    OW
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    The G37 Coupe has a 112" wheelbase and weighs #3800 lbs! If you want a slushbox too, you might as well buy a Crown Vic.

LOL! Remember the G37 coupe is from the same obese Nissan engineers that brought you the 350Z "Roadster" that weighs roughly the same as an S2000 or Boxster - with a 700 lb water buffalo sitting in the passenger seat. :surprise:

The 3,770 lb G37 coupe splits the difference between two of my previous vehicles: My 3,001 lb 5-passenger 1995 Maxima SE and my former 4,300 lb Isuzu Trooper SUV. No wait, I'm wrong. The G37 is closer to the Trooper. :confuse:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,892
    well, i guess i'll just have to wait for my issue to arrive to find out who the real winner is. That scanned article doesn't contain the scoring boxes, and the way I always determine the true winner of magazine comparos is to recalculate the points by eliminating the ridiculous categories like "gotta have it factor," "number of big gulps the cupholders can handle," and whatever other silly things they want to rate.

I gotta say, however, I am impressed they got the G37 automatic to hit 60 mph in 5.4 secs. That's pretty darned good. And considering most other test I've seen of the 335 auto have it hitting 60 in under 5 secs, maybe it was a slow track day and the G37 is even better than the 5.4 would indicate. Either way, for a heavy auto coupe, that's good.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• gjagja Posts: 25
    Well one good thing about the MT article is that they keep mentioning the oil temperature problem on the BMW. Maybe this will help get BMW to retrofit oil coolers on the earlier cars!