Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• Just to add fuel to the fire- off topic a bit.
    My brother in-law visted us several weeks ago and had a friend who owned Camry. I was in my garage detailing my TL and he came by admiring my car.He said, how many cyclinders, I said six, he said he just bougth a 8 cyclinder Camry. I said eight, he said yes, eight.
    I left it at that, i did not want to break is heart.
  • sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,194
    Love the fact a guy with an 8cyl Camry was Admiring the TL. Now that's funny.

"good post"
  • Probably he would have jumped out of his pants if I was polishing up a "G"- we wouldnt want that, would we?
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    +1.

I am 45, drive a 1997 Camry every day. I do like cars (why I am here reading) but my old friend has served my need/commute well.

My portfolio statement told me I can buy a fleet of 1000+ of them if I want, or 150+ or them a year from my paycheck. But because I am not driving a BMW, must because I cannot afford it... shrug and smile every time I read that broken record. Let's respect all people, whether or not they appear to have money.

> Finally(and thankfully) someone that does not claim to know everything about why people buy cars and how much they can afford. +1.
  • buyabuya Posts: 74
    So he just bought an 8 (eight) cylinder Camry, eh? Well, then who wouldn't be admiring your 6-cyl TL?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    I think he was admiring the TL because he thought it had 12 cyl :)
  • You got it all wrong- he thought at first glance it was a Aston Martin Vanquish V12.
    Maybe he thought it was an chrome aardvark gt
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited November 2012
    ...but for anybody that may be thinking about a 335i that can find a little spare change in their sofa cushions, how about a brand new BMW M3 Coupe for under $59,000? Have to order the car by the end of November to get the extra $1,500 holiday credit.

I just got a call from a dealer that offered to order a 2013 M3 at invoice. From that, subtract $1,500 holiday discount, $750 loyalty discount and anything else you qualify for. Mine (well equipped) would end up with an MSRP of $70.5k+/-and a final net price of just under $63k. However, if you take it easy on options, a base M3, plus navigation, heated seats, metallic paint and BMW Apps comes in at an MSRP of $64,945. Invoice is $59,900 and final price after only the holiday discount alone is $58,400. Hard to call that cheap, but with 335is's and even plain 335i's stickering for over $60,000, it looks like a relative bargain.

I test drove a 2013 M3 this past Saturday. Six speed manual of course. I'm sure the upcoming redesigned 2014 model with a 450 hp turbocharged 6 cylinder engine will be a great car. But there is something to be said for a 414 hp, 8,300 rpm redline, naturally aspirated V8. I expect the 2014 will be viewed as BMW's version of Porsche going away from the air-cooled 911 in 1999. Or Johnny Damon going from the Red Sox to the Yankees. Lost the hair, lost the soul.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,697
    I didn't like it that BMW dropped a V8 in the M3, when it comes to tradition they could have worked with a turbo 6, which they will do now.

But there is something to be said for a 414 hp, 8,300 rpm redline, naturally aspirated V8. I expect the 2014 will be viewed as BMW's version of Porsche going away from the air-cooled 911 in 1999. Or Johnny Damon going from the Red Sox to the Yankees. Lost the hair, lost the soul.
    " Or Johnny Damon going from the Red Sox to the Yankees. Lost the hair, lost the soul. " didn't Damon win a ring with the yanks in 09?

Maybe joe Namath to the rams.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,019
    Yes he did sween! Excellent point. He also got the 1st hit @ The New Stadium.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Never said Johnny Damon lost his talent. Just his soul.

Old Porsche enthusiasts would say the same thing about the 991 model 911 vs. the old 993 model.
    The porshe thing i get- but My counter would be he hit 5 more hrs a year, and had the same RBI and Obp - might of lost the "idiot" and stash - but production same or better.

I would of went with Namath to the rams - or Jordan to the wizards.

Any deals on new m3 sedan?
    There is no M3 sedan, any more. BMW killed it for 2013 MY.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,548
    WOW....M3 for under $60K....... :surprise:

I'm not in the market now, but will be in the next 18-24 mos when the warranty runs out on my 335i. Too bad that deal won't be available then. I'd be mighty tempted to jump on it.
    The 2013 M3 deal won't be available then, but the 4-series coupe will be. And from what a friend showed me yesterday on a spy photo site, it looks like it is going to be a winner.
    edited November 2012
    Just got an alert from Acura to check out the 2013 tsx- msrp with shipping on the v6 is 40k dollars - now I know not one will leave the lot at this price but really. The standard tl with the nav package is exactly the same price- seems stupid-
    zeya....you do realize you responded to a post that's 10 years old. :confuse:
    edited November 2012
    Graphicguy, do you realize you responded to something that is clearly spam? Hopefully, you didn't click on the "pregnancy miracle" link as the bottom. :(

Perhaps our Host can permanently remove this??

For all of the engineering technology that goes into a BMW M3, I would like nothing more than to see some of that brainpower go into tracing, catching and castrating spammers.
    Don't worry the hosts are all over these types of events - the are good at getting rid of the trash posts- my guess is this message didn't get flagged because of the clean notation - "pregnancy and miracle" - they must also vet by username- this guy was clearly off the do not fly list.

They should prob ask John McAfee to update the security
    McAfee has his hands full trying to dodge the Belizean police. Something tells me, he doesn't have ELLPS on his "my watched items" list.
    Something wrong with the responses again, getting multiple user names in he header. Guess he hosts ar on a holiday break given thankgiving. I think it's great to have time with he fam-

The mcafee fall could be epic-
    edited November 2012
    Graphicguy, do you realize you responded to something that is clearly spam? Hopefully, you didn't click on the "pregnancy miracle" link as the bottom.

Didn't catch that. Just saw the date of tne post that was responded to. Didn't notice the link until you just mentioned it.

Carry on!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    No, not on holiday - but we don't work 24/7 either. The multi-user names in the header is just a weird bug that happens so infrequently it's not easy to fix, nor probably really worth the manpower it would take to investigate. We just have to live with that one.

Re: spam - nothing gets "flagged" prior to posting. Everything posts, and the hosts read all of our assigned discussions in order to catch them. This was a pretty obvious bit of spam (now removed)... some are more sneaky. No obligation, but the quickest way to get spam removed is to email a host. Reported items by email get attention first, and then everything else just gets taken care of as we come across issues.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,982
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,757
    edited November 2012
    I'm a big fan of older BMWs (own an E46 convertible and an E39 sedan) and like a lot of long-time Bimmer fans I'm unhappy with the Lexus-ization of the brand as the cars get heavier, less agile and less sporty. Now comes a rumor that Alfa-Romeo may produce a modern, RWD, small sports sedan link.

It was Alfa that invented the modsern sport sedan way back in 1951 when they introduced their 1900 TI >

Can't happen soon enough IMO. Viva Alfa!

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,704
    There is nothing small about it. They are guessing near 5-series size.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,697
    Interesting since Fiat owns Alfa, and Fiat wants to make a big push here in the US, I'm we are going to see some of those Italian sedan state side. I had a friend who had a GTV-6 great car...
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,757
    Sergio Marchionne, though Italian born was brought up in Canada. I'm sure he is aware that the current Fiat and Alfa lineups are not well suited to the North American market. He is also aware that fostering growth on this side of the pond is a good hedge against the poorly performing European market.

He seems to be a genuine car nut as well.

Wikipedia: Sergio Marchionne.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC