Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,602
    That is correct, ED prices are negotiable....except, I do not believe there is any ED discount on "M" models,

If the car is built in Germany and imported to the US then the car is part of the ED program, according to BMW website, a M3 is discounted $4100 through the ED program. Which means you can get a better price than that. Take a quick long weekend trip, do the ED program, and then pick up the car in Spartanburg .
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    So basically price won out?

No, if price was all that mattered, I could have saved $13k+ on an MDX. The X5d just seemed like the right combination of attributes, appeal and best relative value. Without the full $4,500 eco credit, it probably would have still won out, just not been the no-brainer it was at the lower price. Why someone would pay MORE for a comparably equipped X5 3.5i is still beyond me.
    Didn't realize that they now include the M cars with ED discounts. So maybe I need to save a few more nickels and get one of these delivered to Spartanburg:

Hot Lap
    Why someone would pay MORE for a comparably equipped X5 3.5i is still beyond me.

This is simple, there are people who do not associate BMW and diesel as going together, and to be bothered by wearing gloves when refueling.... As stated before, this will all change in 2013 when BMW, Audi and MB all bring over deisel power entry level cars and SUVs.
    Didn't realize that they now include the M cars with ED discounts. So maybe I need to save a few more nickels and get one of these delivered to Spartanburg:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/EuropeanDelivery/Order- YourBMW.aspx

I should have given the link when I first wrote about it.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,111
    Nah bro you have the reserved spot for the 2nd cayman S, and the next hot 100k hybrid waiting for you- why do a BMW when you can spend thousands more and get similar performance.

Btw I'm actually enjoying the talk about the "Ed" cars. It's really interesting, going 139mph and not getting a ticket- the whole process seem pretty cool, ex the wait. Tuned out a bit on the Volvo section but all in all good show.

Would also like to add the diesal chat very interesting as well. Less gas more torque sporty sedan always interesting. Does anyone think we will be using gas or diesal in the next 10 years, or is this new fusion technology Going to take over?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,467
    Ok, so all is well after my 2011 328xi's 1st service. ECU was re-flashed which got rid of the cold start revving, a loose wire was found to be the trouble of the tail light on the left rear trunk causing the light to flicker, the hinges on the hood were adjusted so it is now aligned properly, & a faulty trunk latch will be replaced in about 3 weeks when the part arrives. The car was washed & vacuumed (believe me, it needed it).

So I've got a few parting comments about the 335d they gave me as a loaner car.

Between Monday night and tonight, I put 231 miles on the diesel loaner. The needle was at the 1/2 mark when I filled up and it said I still had over 300 miles until empty. I did a little more highway driving than normal because I had to drive my Grandma home after dinner (about 25 miles) and then return the loaner (another 28 miles).

I filled up with Diesel that was $4.33 per gallon. Super at the same station was $4.19 per gallon. I did see another station that was selling diesel for $4.59 and Super for $4.29.

In 231 miles, I averaged 42.3 mph & 32.2 mpg. I was driving normally and not trying to get good gas mileage, it just happened.

I hopped into my 328xi and headed back home. I backed into the driveway and checked my trip computer. 38.8 mph average speed. 21.5 mpg.

Both cars have their positives and negatives.

The 335d obviously has a HUGE advantage when it comes to power (425 lb ft of torque - ARGH, ARGH, ARGH) and fuel economy (pretty much 10 mpg better real world). The passing power this car has is just unreal. Push down on the throttle and it just goes. Pulls like a freight train.

My 328xi's steering is actually heavier than the RWD 335d. Handling was hard to judge because I was driving a car with tires that NEEDED to be replaced and it is someone else's $50K + BMW that I didn't want to wrap around a tree or telephone pole.

The 425 lb ft of torque, RWD, & balding tires made the car's wet weather traction squirmy. I even saw the DTC light flicker a few times on dry pavement.

My 328xi was noticeably quieter and smoother than the 335d. The around town diesel clatter didn't bother me, but the car's N52 Inline 6 just sings and loves to rev.

The verdict. The diesel motor is just incredible. The fuel economy it gives is just an added bonus. For me to put one in my driveway would most certainly cost me more than the buyout on my 328xi, plus I'd have to invest in a set of dedicated winter wheels & tires, and possibly get a used winter beater (Jeep or Subaru).

The other diesel cars on the market either won't match up to the way my 328xi drives (VW Passat, Jetta, Golf TDI are all FWD) or they are A LOT more money (X5s aren't cheap, even used). It has peaked my interest to give a 4 cyl BMW diesel a chance (X1, X3, 3 series) assuming they are out when my lease is up in September 2014.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

and to be bothered by wearing gloves when refueling.

I must have missed those instructions. And, so far, no runs, drips or errors. If only I could say the same for my performance at third base wearing a glove...
    reserved spot for the 2nd cayman S

Hey, hey, you trying to cut in line?? I have the first spot (other than the dealer "launch" cars).

The one downside of ED is being tempted to throw break in instructions in the trash when you get on the Autobahn. I've never done it, but friend who did it several years ago with a 545i had to suffer the indignation of having old ladies pass him while he kept his speed under 150 km/hr.

I don't think we'll be driving nuclear powered cars in my lifetime, but I also won't ever have a gas SUV in the garage again. Diesel rules in that application. Sport sedan?? Tougher call today with the 335d gone. But hopefully soon to return.
    It has peaked my interest to give a 4 cyl BMW diesel a chance (X1, X3, 3 series) assuming they are out when my lease is up in September 2014.

Early spring of 2013 you will see a slew of 4 cyl Diesels from Audi, BMW and MB in their Q3 and Q5, X3 (not too sure of the X1) and 3 series, GLK and C class. VW will put their diesel in their Tiguan. I wish VW would bring over the other 2L TDI they have, it makes 180hp and 300 +lbs of torque this could go in the Passat and Tiguan.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,220
    edited December 2012
    diesel X1 would be pretty sweet. Which is probably why we won't get one in the US. ;)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I don't think we'll be driving nuclear powered cars in my lifetime, but I also won't ever have a gas SUV in the garage again. Diesel rules in that application. Sport sedan?? Tougher call today with the 335d gone. But hopefully soon to return.

With the European diesel emission coming closer and closer to that of ours, I wouldn't doubt seeing more and more diesel powered cars making it state side. Now BMW is temping with the 550d twin turbo V8 diesel, making 400+hp and 500+lbs of torque, the major downside of this car, would be keeping tires on the car. You and Discount tire guys will be good friends. I'm predicting that with in a year well have a diesel 5 series and 7 series, both being 6 cyl.

Audi has released the A8 diesel, so far the Q7 diesel is selling good and of course the A3 diesel sells very well.
    diesel X1 would be pretty sweet. Which is probably why we won't get one in the US.

Not in this current generation we wont, but the next generation I'm betting we will get a diesel X1. The currently X1 is VERY small and at least here in PHX hasn't sold very well... I'm thinking a X3 might be my next BMW, but I am waiting for the Diesel to be released first.
    Actually saw my first X1 on the road yesterday. There was a Camry in front of it, which it seemed to be just marginally taller than, and it was followed by a VUE, which was just slightly bigger. Its within a few inches of a CRV, too. And considering the price of an EXL CRV ... seems to me the X1 should be doing pretty well.

Have they even been advertising it? Can't say I've noticed any ads for it.

X1 - while the power trains are interesting - and sure it starts around the same price as a cr-v ex-l but the options like all bmws are outrageously priced want heated pleather seats 700 bux, want rear camera (which is standard on basic some no lux autos these days) 900 bux - how does a 32k starting price car have a options package for 6600 bux is a joke. - could be a great car, who knows but for the money a 2 year old x3 could be a better scoop
    Actually saw my first X1 on the road yesterday. There was a Camry in front of it, which it seemed to be just marginally taller than, and it was followed by a VUE, which was just slightly bigger. Its within a few inches of a CRV, too. And considering the price of an EXL CRV ... seems to me the X1 should be doing pretty well.

Rick had a Nissan Rogue, and the X1 is smaller inside then the rogue... That could be one reason for it not selling. The back seats are VERY tight getting in and out...
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    I remember seeing the X1 parked next to an X3 when we were out shopping, and the size difference, especially height, was striking.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Don't know how they compare in pricing but a 328 sport wagon prob has more room and is more sporty driver.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    328 was more expensive. Cargo wise, I think it was a little longer but not as tall.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Sween- We dont agree on a lot of things but what you said here about the options from BMW I do agree with you. I want to pull the plug on a 550 XI but when priced out the way I want it, I would probably end up breaking the bank. I MIGHT drive the TL for a few more years until the new car itch surface again (probably next summer).
    edited December 2012
    yes, the luxury germans are ridiculous for options, no doubt.

However, I could be wrong, but I don't think it takes much to make it equal to a CRV. Its personal preference, but I'd rather have bmw pleather than honda leather. Granted, if those things matter to you, you have to add the cold weather pack for $700 and panoramic moonroof for $1250. Both wind up being better than the Honda (heated steering wheel and bigger moonroof), but you get the idea.

All in all, if it were my money, there is no doubt which way I'd go for about 15% higher msrp.

And, yes, a used car is ALWAYS a better buy, IMHO.

I remember seeing the X1 parked next to an X3 when we were out shopping, and the size difference, especially height, was striking.

Was it the current generation X3, which to me is the perfect size, smaller then the first Gen X5 but bigger then the first Gen X3. This is one car that has caught my eye... The next Gen X1 will be slightly smaller then the first Gen X3.
    Currently there is no 328 sport Wagon imported to the US, I haven't seen anything saying that it will be imported for 2013, Chandler BMW says the X3 has taken the place of it, which I think is a bad move for BMW. They sell every single one of the wagons, people who want a wagon do not want a SUV...
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,486
    edited December 2012
    Yes, it will be - click on "Future Vehicles" on BMWs website.
    http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/allbmws/futurevehicleslanding.aspx
    At best, your dealer is misinformed, or he is trying to make a sale now rather than wait.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

You agree with me- today must truly be the last day of the world.
    Enjoy the holiday season billy.

Flight yes car and driver also has an article talking up the new BMW sports wagon, should be here soon- dealers are crafty.

Crv x1 debate- look my wife has a maxed out 2011 ex with nav. Is it a lux car no, sporty (maybe for her) not, does it have power no. It's a basic civic with a couple more hp and a raised roof. Just drove it 300 miles today on a holiday trip- it does the basics well- and we paid 25,5 all in (MsRP was 31k) - and financed it at 0.9%. It's good for what it is. The BMW should be more money - it's a lix brand and has more of everything - except that more costs a lot more because its a BMW. One thing it prob couldn't match (besides £) is room. I don't have the specs in front of me but you should see all the Sh-t I Jamed into that sucker and got 27mpg.
    Hey Dino, at the time I was told, BMW had not announced the 3 series wagon, I had read an article that BMW was on the fence when it came to the wagon. I'm hoping to see the Diesel in the wagon, that would be a great car.
    One thing it prob couldn't match (besides £) is room. I don't have the specs in front of me but you should see all the Sh-t I Jamed into that sucker and got 27mpg.

The X1 is smaller then the CRX. The current X1 should not have been imported as it was a mid-cycle refresh in Europe and so we go it. As I stated before, Rick had a Rogue and the X1 was small then his Rogue. Was too had to justify 38K for a RWD X1 that was smaller than what Rick currently drove. For what it is worth, Rick's was a FWD and he averaged 26.4 combined in it. We don't know what he would have gotten on the trip since in the whole 5 years of ownership we never took it out of PHX
    It saddens me to post this but being an objective poster I must express my disappointment in the brand I own, and once loved. We all know the next G is coming soon- but after reading this its no longer a G.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/infiniti-unexpectedly-changing-all-model-names-to-q- -qx-for-2014-confirms-new-range-topping-sedan/

Am I missing the point of this- or is it clearly stupid.
    At the LA Auto Show I heard something of this, but didn't pursue it as I was under the weather. I'm not too sure why Infiniti err Nissan made this move. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,467
    Thanks for posting that link sweendogy. I don't know why they (auto makers) do this? Change for the sake of change?

I know we've gone through this before, but if you are doing alpha numerical names for your cars, do it right please! Infiniti (today) G37 = G w/ 3.7L engine is the right way to do it.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation