Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I did say "lack of doors notwithstanding" regarding your coupe vs. sedan point (it's a valid point for some buyers). Put plainly, if you absolutely need 4-doors, then you don't belong in a 1-series discussion. If, on the other hand, you simply need a backseat (which is the case for many "2nd/backup car shoppers"), the upright "2-door sedan" design of the 1er should be just fine.

My point is simply that from a performance/value standpoint, the 1-series absolutely demolishes the E46.
  • Fed,

Will ignore the doors - which I think is integral to the discussion at hand as the utility of the car is diminished 1000% percent with only two doors.

I have no driven the 1, so I can't comment on how it performs vis-a-vis an e46. If it's anything like the e90, then no it will do the exact opposite of demolish. On the remote chance it's not like the e90, then sure it could be more fun to drive than an e46. I highly doubt that given BMW's track record the past few years.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    My bad - this is the sedan forum, not the 1-series forum (hard to differentiate sometimes when I read so many).

Yes, on this forum, 4-doors is a much more significant discriminator.
  • Could you tell me where you got your pricing info on the 1? Also, what's available to put into the little beast.
  • Edmunds' blog entry has some info and bimmerfest has the listings for everything. The available stuff pretty much matches the 1 series (essentially the same pricing too).

1 series pricing from Fedlawman: fedlawman, "BMW 1-Series" #993, 16 Nov 2007 7:29 pm
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,353
    Congratulations! Let me know when they change the exterior so I can open my eyes!

Regards,
    OW
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,237
    What!

You don't want to drive a pimpmobile?

You clearly don't fit into the demographic. Well done!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,395
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Is this the same magazine that named the NEON as its car of the year (or was that AUTOMOBILE?).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Interesting that the year did not even start yet! Talk about premature.

I have my own COTY award that I bestow on Jan. 1st of the MY.

Regards,
    OW
    Chief Editor
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Me too. I just crowned my Car Of The Year. Is it the same as yours?
    Yes, one of the cars you drove at the drive event you attended! I need to keep it under wraps to let the anticipation build to a national outcry. Then, the reveal!

BTW, its called the Circle Award.

Regards,
    OW
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Just curious, why the "have to have" V8? ...

The effortless acceleration of a V8. I drove the 535i Sport the same day, and it just didn't cut the mustard with me. The delayed kick-down of the automatic, the seemingly slow buildup of speed/power... It just didn't feel as nice as the 550i. The 550i, to me, rides better, is quieter, and feels more planted. And at cruising speed, the sound of the V8 completely disappears. The I6 definitely makes enough fuss at speed to make it known that it's working hard for you. In a 3-series, that's tolerable. In a 5-series, at that price, it's totally unacceptable. That's why, when I was still searching, my focus was mainly on the V8 cars (A6 4.2, M45, E550, GS430, 550i.) However, the 535i was in the running because of its twin turbos and power output, but after driving it, I came back to my original requirements. I made the same mistake with the RL, only to be even more disappointed.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    .....The I6 definitely makes enough fuss at speed to make it known that it's working hard for you. In a 3-series, that's tolerable. In a 5-series, at that price, it's totally unacceptable......

It's the individual's call about a 535 vs. 550, I6 biturbo vs.V8, something I wouldn't argue. But, after almost 5000 mi. with my '08 535, I couldn't disagree more with your comment above. It is simply something I have not found to be true. In fact it is so seamless in acceleration and silky smooth and quiet that I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't an "8".

(BTW, I also am enjoying my current 26.4 mpg in (mostly city) combination city/ highway driving and my lease savings compared to a 550.)
  • Not an owner but having looked at pricing/power/economy, I'd side with you that the 535 seems like a wise choice.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    Not an owner but having looked at pricing/power/economy, I'd side with you that the 535 seems like a wise choice.

My point was not what car, the 535 or 550 is the "wise choice", because that is personal choice. My issue with tayl0rd was that he made the 535 sound like it was straining and was anemic. Believe me, it's neither.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I can appreciate what you are saying about the subjective feel and sound of the V8 vs. the I6, even if the I6 is now nearly as powerful and quick as the V8. I still recall my test drive of the former M5 and how impressed I was with the effortless acceleration and free revving engine. If somebody knows where I could find a new 2002 M5 that was packed in ice, I'd buy it tomorrow.

On the other hand, I wonder if you feeling regarding the I6 was tainted by saddling it with an automatic transmission? Didn't you say a manula transmisson was also a "have to have"? I've been surprised enough by the difference in feel between the same car with a manual vs. automatic to know I would never pre-judge the manual by the automatic.
  • Considering the weight is nearly the same as the 335i it's easy to believe its power to weight is quite good.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... On the other hand, I wonder if you feeling regarding the I6 was tainted by saddling it with an automatic transmission? ...

That wasn't my choice. It was all they had. And some of the automatic lovers here claim how "wonderful" and "equal to/better than the manual" it is, I figured I'd give it a try. I was very disappointed.

And I didn't say the I6 was wheezing or straining, just that you can tell that it is working harder than the V8 from the "noise." I wasn't trying to be offensive.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,662
    I was just doing a search the other day (my manager is looking for a 6 series) and came across this 2003 M5 with only 12Kmiles (in my geographic area)...

Impressive, but not sure if the price is appropriate for the age.