Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,147
    edited June 2013
    something that everyone should accept as fact

Kind of like SUVs (have larger margins), something we have all read in all types of rags but have yet to see actual figures.

Sorry you opened yourself up to getting a little, again I agree with 90% of what you say but......
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,994
    At least I said where I got it from and I'm pretty sure anybody that follows the industry at all will verify that the margins are better on suvs/cuvs and trucks then they are on passenger cars unless you're talking about megabuck cars like Ferrari, Bentley etc....which we aren't.

Where did you get the the information that Acura selling TLs for big discounts equates to Acura, as a company, making little to no profit? I haven't read that anywhere.
    so a decline in sales over a period of 6 years (and giving more discounts then its comps) is a good thing for profits and brand? just like the SUV statement you made, Honda as a corporation does not break out margins by product line or atleast ive never seen it, or dont know where to get it, either do you it seems.. so my Opinion (i said it) was an educated one given the data provided.

BTW im not here to bash honda or acura, my comments from 5 years ago stand today & HONDA posted numbers last night which were very impressive (now 2q in a row), they cited growth in Acura division.. so maybe the tide has turned, bravo to them.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Posts: 198
    " they cited growth in Acura division.. so maybe the tide has turned, bravo to them. "

This just shows how much you know about the financial stability of a company- all that posting about the demise of the company just went straigth out the door.
    billy,

Financial stability of the company... love that man- good stuff did you know that Honda corp in March had to dump 1billion into the company (acura) to get them sound enuf to start producing new products, they are far from self sufficent.

Moodys raised them last night fyi as well-- any other corporate info i can give you let me know.. and did you know the HMC total strength was driven by the Honda divsion, CIVIC, CRV and new accord & - "citied growth in the acura division." The acura division is a pimple on the honda brand,. As posted above the sales numbers indicated the growth was not in the cars but in the suvs (maybe the ILX as well). My posts from 5 years ago and on have been correct about the sedans.. here you go

http://www.automotive.com/worst-cars/ugly-cars/acura-tl.html
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,994
    edited June 2013
    so a decline in sales over a period of 6 years (and giving more discounts then its comps) is a good thing for profits and brand?

Gee, don't remember saying anything like that. But to answer your question....of course not.

"SUVs became popular in the United States, Canada, India and Australia in the 1990s and early-2000s. U.S. automakers could enjoy profit margins of $10,000 per SUV, while losing a few hundred dollars on a compact car.[11] For example, the Ford Excursion could net the company $18,000, while they could not break even with the Ford Focus unless the buyer chose options,[12][13] leading Detroit's big three automakers to focus on SUVs over small cars."

While this talks about Ford, from everything I've read about margins online, in magazines and in the daily newspapers say the same thing re all automakers. SUVs have much better margins than passenger cars so selling a high proportion mix of SUVs vs. passenger cars should maintain profit margins. Of course, good profit margins on all lines would be preferable. But the fact remains that your statement about Acura having little to no profit was just one big assumption. Good to see you finally admitted that your statement was basically an educated guess which is pretty much what any opinion is. Some are just more educated than others.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Posts: 198
    What you are cut and pasting is all over the financial blogs so save your time and energy because I have two screens I sit at for 10 hrs per day.
    Also, dont you know that those top ten comparisions are subjective?
    Some are just more educated than others. yes fact based, instead of broad statements.

just one big assumption not really that big as its backed by sales numbers and discounts that are published.. and the fact that those said discounts are more then the comp and those said sales numbers are a third of its biggest competitor.

we've all seen the SUV type message written in NYT or the NYP--but again you have never produced any numbers to dispute my educated opinion just broad industry chatter that suvs are high margin, wonder how acura did on the margins of the zdx last year when they sold 800, but again but why should we look at sales numbers when we have chatter on the ford focus vs excursion (hasnt been produced since 05) above above. Sales numbers do not tell the whole story- but a better story then you present. sorry
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,637
    I'm going to purchase my next vehicle. Once the lease is up on my BMW, I want off of the "leasing hamster wheel."

Leasing isn't for everybody, but a lot of people do it for all the wrong reasons.. BTW, I thought this was your first lease?
    sweendogy...you said I was mocking you. Not intentional, just handing out some of the same medicine you do. I actually agree with you about 90% of the time. Just didn't make sense this time. Cheers.

Interesting it's OK for Sweeny to mock others but when it happens to him he complains about it... Can't have it both way, dude.
    Hey Biily is Acura a separate car company or a division of HMC?
    Funny thing about that back and forth it had Merritt (parkway?) on both sides. Enjoyed it actually, he's wicked smart and a good debater. You could pick some knowledge reading those posts fully.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    No, not my 1st lease. I financed the TSX I had before the BMW. But maybe I should have phrased differently. I want to buy my next car and NOT get started on the leasing hamster wheel.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,532
    A reporter would like to speak to a recent buyer of a car from a manufacturer that is widely considered "American"--e.g. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Cadillac-- who has not previously owned an "American" car. If this is you, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 1, 2013 no later than noon Pacific.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Bored on a flight Wed night, was playing on the net and saw that BMW loaded the 4 series, the 328d and GT. One interesting note, the EPA has not released it's MPG figures for the 328d, I'm sure BMW will be doing a big media blitz once they are. I like the GT, however, the price is steep.

enjoy..
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I saw an ad for the 328d recently. Dont remember where but I do remember it saying 45 MPG highway.
    BMW website had been posting that figure for a while, however, it has been taken down. I believe it was also posted on Bimmerfest too.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,237
    Early reports from those who've seen the 4 series in the flesh in Europe have been mixed...especially given the pre-release version we all saw (and I personally liked).

My local BMW dealer is having their "drive" event in about 3 weeks. I'm hoping they'll have a 4 Series there to look at, if not to test drive.
    Graphic what issues are people having with the 4 series? I love the 3 series wagon, but that GT loos nice, priced the same as the wagon, suppose to have more space for the rear passengers.. Should be interesting.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,237
    FN...I don't think there's an issue with the mechanicals of the 4 series, it's more the style of it, which some have mentioned differ quite a bit from the car that was shown at the auto circuits.

Again, I'd like to see it myself before passing judgement.
    0–30 MPH 1.8 sec 2.1 sec 2.0 sec
    0–60 MPH 4.6 sec 5.6 sec 5.6 sec
    0–100 MPH 11.8 sec 13.8 sec 13.5 sec
    0–130 MPH 21.8 sec 26.2 sec 25.9 sec
    ¼-MILE @ MPH 13.3 sec @ 105 14.2 sec @ 101 14.0 sec @ 102
    ROLLING START, 5–60 MPH 5.5 sec 5.8 sec 6.2 sec
    TOP GEAR, 30–50 MPH 2.8 sec 3.1 sec 3.2 sec
    TOP GEAR, 50–70 MPH 3.2 sec 3.9 sec 3.9 sec

Interesting that the BMW was considerably faster then both cars (really no contest) and only lost by 1 point... So in real world driving, what matters? Quicker acceleration or better handling at the limits?
    Didn't really get down to the numbers - I think in the real word a lot would have to do more with $$$ then anything else. Most Lexi and BMW would leave the show room in lesser engine form due to current lease rates - I thought the article was unique because bmw lost.
    The people looking at this cars, aren't going to sweat the $$ much. BTW, BMW lost by 1 point, not much of a different really.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/q50/2014/road-test.html
    Run-flats?
    Really?
    One of the things I really dislike about my 3 is
    the run-flats...
    - Ray
    Disappointed .....
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    Ray

If you don't like em, change em. I know your lease is up soon, but I just put a set of Michelin MXM Primacy ZP (zero pressure) tires on my 328xi & they do everything the stock Continentals do, only better. Oh, and they were cheaper! I did a small write up on CCBA.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Agree - boo -
    Ray, infiniti is trying their best be like BMW...
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    Ray, infiniti is trying their best be like BMW...
    Apparently...
    - Ray
    Don't mind if they offer the Run Flats as an option, but .....
    Yes they have been trying to mimic BMW for some time now flight- that's why when you mention no one looking at these cars care about pricing - you are wrong. Price matters -