Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I did find it annoying the XXX number iS models from BMW are only available in Coupes, and those have the 320 HP or so your looking for right? Why not have an IS version of the 335? 335is in sedan, not just coupe.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,889
    graphicguy had the dealer apply the performance engine update to his 335i for around $600, I think..

Presto! 320 HP!!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,476
    edited August 2013
    I think the "is" is available on coupe only because it is old E90 platform. It used to be available on sedan as well, but they switched the platforms. New 4-series won't have "is" trim just yet, either.

The "is" trim is usually a mid-cycle refresh gimmick to maintain sales and buzz on models that are no longer "all new", to keep them running. IIRC, it wasn't available on the new platform with 330i right away, either. Then when they brought the turbo six engine (335i), it wasn't there either until some time has passed. If the patterns were to repeat, we should see (hopefully) some "is" trims available on the new F30 platform, as the novelty wears off. It (the novelty) already has passed for sedans, but you still have brand new wagon, GT, 328 diesel, 320, the 4-series coupe coming just in 2013, /2014 season. The convertible is next, I'm sure. Once the entire lineup is complete, the sedan will come with a refreshed look, as it always does and some additional stuff, to keep the interest and push early lessee adopters from 2012 to getting into 2015/16. I think that would be a perfect time for them to introduce the "is" trim on F3x lineup.

All manufacturers try to spoonfeed their new stuff, so there is always something to talk about. BMW actually brought a lot of new models this year, so they'll wait with incremental improvements until they see buzz dying off.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,130
    edited August 2013
    [i]graphicguy had the dealer apply the performance engine update to his 335i for around $600, I think..

Presto! 320 HP!![/i]

Yep....sure did.

I still think BMW is underrating that 3.0 twin scroll turbo motor....just like Audi is doing with their S/C 3.0.

Both are putting out more power than they officially publish.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,596
    "graphicguy had the dealer apply the performance engine update to his 335i for around $600, I think..

Presto! 320 HP!!"

Didn't Graphic have the 335is which had the 320hp engine?

So, BMW has the "is" model which comes with performance improvements already, however, there is a price to pay for that too!!
    It's been reported by a couple of vendors that the 3l engine is making roughly 330hp, but I also think that BMW has always underrated their engines, my 330 with "only 235hp" was faster then some cars with 80 + HP.I'm sure the close ratio transmission had something to do with it.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,130
    FN...nope. Mine was the 335i with the performance pack (firmware) upgrade. The 335is also had some minor suspension and wheel tweaks.

adnres....good deal on the S4. I might have missed it, but have you already bought it? Or, are you just working on the "deal"?

Mark.....don't disagree with any of what you have to say. If I were in the market for an SUV, the Q5 would be at the top of the list.

That said, I tcompare the two Audi dealerships in my 'burg to my BMW dealership, and there's a night and day difference with the advantage going to BMW. Even when I had my Acura, my preferred dealer took very good care of me.

As I mentioned previously, it might have been because I bought my S4 in Chicago and am having it serviced in Cincinnati. But, I really don't buy into a dealership treating you better if you buy the car from them. Warranty work is paid the same regardless. And, let's face it, service work has a whole lot more margin than new car sales.

I think the training, the time spent understanding the cars, the amount of time spent daily focused on customer service (or lack thereof) becomes evident in the way they take care of your problems.

Your Acura dealership experience would have prompted me to send a strongly worded letter to Acura corporate. Your car is what? A year old? And already has warped rotors? I call that a defect in materials and covered under warranty. It's not like you have 50K miles on one set of pads which are totally worn away.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    'I did find it annoying the XXX number iS models from BMW are only available in Coupes, and those have the 320 HP or so...'
    If the sedan 335 had been available in 'iS' form
    that is what I would have chosen in 2011.
    - Ray
    Turned mine in recently & walked away from the brand..
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    You should have put a Dinan sticker on your rear deck. It adds 30 hp.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    It was actually the 370 TQ
    that pushed my over the edge...
    - Ray
    TQ addict...
    When I bought my 330Ci, the model designation had already been removed from the trunk lid... I gained 5 HP just from better aerodynamics!

edited August 2013
    Yes, that's an often overlooked tweak!

Don't forget the door handles and mirrors too...
    Oh yeah... subbed in black grilles... they soak up the heat and the engine warms up faster.. gets me 3 more MPG!!

Oh boy! We'll be up to 400 hp and 40 MPG the rate we're going!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    I was looking thru the inventory at a local BMW dealer and noticed something interesting. Most of the 328i models in stock have either the Luxury Line, Sport Line or M Sport Package (which adds $2100-$3500 to the 328i base price). Now that they have the 320i to fill in the entry-level slot, the 328i prices are climbing into the upper 40s and even topping the $50k mark....
  • gpb59gpb59 Posts: 69
    I'm considering a preowned 2012 or 2013, when I went to check it out, the USB doesn't recognize the ipod, I guess it needs a different cable like my audi. Is this something easily installed or does the car have to already come equipped with the capbility?
    I didn't observe this trend here yet (majority 328 here don't have any "line" package, but there are very few 320i on lots), but it doesn't surprise me. It seems logical.

If one is looking for a badge at a low price, 320 is their choice, no need to go higher. This leaves 328 for buyers who like those options, like better seats (Sport/M-Sport) and/or interior inlays (Lux) and are able/not mind paying. I think over time the trend will be more pronounced as 320 replaces entry 328 trims. There will probably be fewer overall 328 in dealers inventories and their volumes will go down as a result of higher option levels.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

"Oh boy! We'll be up to 400 hp and 40 MPG the rate we're going!"

Is this a problem?
    I've technically just "ordered" my custom equipped and colored S4 from Germany to the dealer I put $1,000 down at as a deposit/non-refundable payment.

Until the car is delivered and we do all the paperwork, I suppose it's not technically purchased or sold.

Of course, I'm not walking away from $1,000. Another dealer wanted a more serious $2,500 non-refundable down for an ordered S4.

I have to admit I'd of been more comfortable had the dealer given me a "buy-order sheet" with all the numbers listed. I suppose they can't control what sales tax might be 3 months from now. The $50,000 + fees figure is written down.

Also, he says the loyalty rebate comes from Audi of America at delivery; not from the dealer, and is a good program through 1/7/14. That gives a nice buffer should my order be delayed; all hell would break loose should they terminate that loyalty rebate early or deliver the car after that date (and the program not extended).
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,111
    Observation and opinion - don't see many 335 sedans up east (new one at least) did see one this weekend in Monaco blue? With the m sport pack and was not impressed by its looks one bit- older car looked way better similarly equipped.
    Our companies 45K mile Odyssey has a warped rotor shuttering issue; seems to be a problem with Honda Acura now that multiple have mentioned it.

They must have received a bad batch of rotors from someone.

Have to admit, that knowledge helped tilt the scales in favor of the S4 over the TL-SH AWD. It wasn't a game changer, but when your on the fence, every little bit helps.

With my first luxury dealership servicing experience with Audi (they used to give free maintenance for 50K miles), I feel as if problems on a luxury car are not nearly as big of a deal. If they give you a nice loaner car, it makes it even less troublesome. I look at the bright side; you get a chance to wear and tear there car's rather than your own. No miles on your own car while they work on it makes me feel like I'm in no hurry. Of course, my longest repair job came when I got an A4 loaner, which wasn't typical at my old Audi dealership. I have a feeling that's why Miramar Audi is now know as Audi of San Diego and under different ownership. I ratted them out on customer service Audi surveys as routinely giving Enterprise Kia Sephias and Chevy Aveo's instead of Audi or VW's.

Drive it like you stole it! Heard they gave you a A6 with the sweet 3.0?
    It is Imperial Blue (dark) or Estoril Blue (Light), the latter is M-exclusive. Monaco is an old dark blue color from several years ago, prior Deep Sea Blue, which is what I have. All three (Monaco, Imperial, Deep Sea) are close.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,595
    Our companies 45K mile Odyssey has a warped rotor shuttering issue; seems to be a problem with Honda Acura now that multiple have mentioned it.....Have to admit, that knowledge helped tilt the scales in favor of the S4 over the TL-SH AWD.

Rotor warping is a common problem for all sorts of modern automobiles, I've experienced it with nearly every car I've owned including a couple of Hondas and a couple of Audi A4s. FWIW it has only occurred once or twice in the dozen years I've had my 528i (now over 150K) nor did it happen much on the 3 Saabs I've had.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I didn't opt for a rear backup camera on my next car, probably because it cost a lot more than $1.00; which is about all that feature is worth to me. Okay, with line/lane guidance on the video, maybe $10.00.

However, I'd pay at least 10X that amount for a front facing dash cam that records potential litigation and insurance claim issues. Or simply to send the local PD some video of really bad drivers they really need to take off the road (and do something productive rather than ticket perfectly safe driving speeders).
    Get a go pro camera and mt to dash- plenty of Russian videos on you tube with bad drivers. I'd take a backup camera any day over lane guidance.
  • I'm with you -- backup cameras are quite helpful, as are sensors (f+r). My wife's Infiniti has the ultimate, an around view monitor with both front and rear sensors and front and rear "projection" lines that turn with the steering wheel.

Test drove a new Bimmer X3 with their version of the all around view monitor -- it was quite nice, too. Really helps in tight parking garages and it backing out of long driveways.
    Mark, I in the last 3 months, I have had 4 infiniti's as rentals, 1 G37 sedan, 2 JX, and one whale (QX). The JX and QX's were all upgrades at no cost since National did not have the SUV I had reservation for. All three had a lot of options, they had the "bird eye view" which was pretty cool, it was a big help when driving the QX (The Whale.) The front and rear senors where helpful when back up as well as the rear view camera, the QX is HUGE!!!
    You know what else is huge.. The money I saved by switching to geico.
    ahhh, I misspoke and mis-wrote.

I mean a back up camera is useful when the program draws lines on the screen that turn with the steering wheel which makes backing up into a parking space while turning like a video game. I don't back up into parking spaces all too often though.

Still, I've done fine for nearly 20 years without it.
    Yeah those lines are useful for spots- I also like the general camera for watching and seeing kids - but that's just me I guess