Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,644
    Mark, styling goes a long way with people, I'm not a fan of the new look Lexus is going. It can win all the comparison test it can.

Any one of those cars would be a great daily driver, well maybe except the Lexus, just too ugly for me. It just come's to personal preference. FWIW here in Phoenix, you can lease a 2013 Q37 for $245/m for 36 months, with $2799 down and $399/m for a Q50 with the same down. So someone can lease a G37 for the same price as a Camry SE (at lease here in Phoenix.)
  • sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,162
    Not that I'm a leasing guy - the stats provided about are interesting. Why is Infiniti keeping this G around another year at discounted pricing? Is it to claim a market share gain vs the big boys ? I don't get it. 150 bux diff a month is real money on a car you don't own anyway.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    They've reduced the G37 lineup to just the RWD Journey and Base AWD models and they've cut the base price by $4,800 on both. So the G37 Journey RWD starts at $32,550 for 2014 compared to 2013's base price of $37,350! The only options available are the Premium Pkg (Leather, Moonroof, Bose) and Navigation Package.

With the G37 filling the low-mid-30k range, I'm willing to bet that finding a Q50 for less than $40k will be virtually impossible! They'lll market the Q50 as as a step (or half-step) above the G37...

Meanwhile, with the revised pricing, the 2014 G37 is a heck of a value despite being one of the oldest designs in the segment.
    G37 might be an old design but put it up against the old tL, the tsxthe Audi a4 2.0 or even the new BMW 320 and its a huge bargain agreed. Throw in a fancy lease lease rate and bam, market share. I still don't get it thou. Why confuse people more - every car will be a q right - but this ones a g. At these prices makes you wonder why one, a person looking for a performing sedan and a deal would consider anything else - that includes the new q
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    The only reason to get a Q50 over a G37 is if you have to have a bunch of sensors and cameras to help you avoid accidents.

Disclaimer: I didn't bother checking out the interior of the Q50, so that might be another reason. I used to like the G37 interior.... back in like 2007, nowadays, it seems too NISSAN -LIKE.
    The interior of the G is Nissan like because its what Nissan took in later years from Infiniti, perfect example is gage cluster of maxima. I'm sure the Camry has Lexus like interior as well. Look the G is a 7 year old - it's not as modern as new cars but in function it all works very well- and given pricing its uber competitive.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,766
    Seems like Infiniti is nowhere near a market leader in this segment.
    Thats like saying I like apples - what's the point you are making? Any value to go along or just a broad swipe with no real point?
    edited September 2013
    Thats like saying I like apples - what's the point you are making? Any value to go along or just a broad swipe with no real point?

I don't see Inifiniti given the market cachet of BMW, Audi, or MB. If the market thought they were as good they could be as high priced. Companies don't leave cash on the table for altruistic reasons.

Infiniti is sort of like the sport version of Lexus. Lexus is a boring reliable luxury make (although trying to break into sport). Infiniti is a reliable sporty make trying to get to where the leaders are. The G series is a bargain if you like pure sport almost as good as BMW but growlier engines and interiors not as nice as MB or Audi. They're sort of like the promising upstart teenager with loads of potential, but not all that refined yet.

I also haven't heard hardly any advertising about the new model, perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, lol.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,510
    New Q50 is advertised all the time. Two ads: one ad is "break from convention" with pretty young people on assembly line getting Benz or BMW and one guy breaking from that. The other one is about its new psychic feature, i.e. alleged ability to anticipate accidents two cars ahead.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Again - please post next time you like apples. when have they been priced higher? "growler engine" have you read any of the reviews- they say they are the opposite.

Please add value or something of a back position. In stead of a "sort of" post.
    Thank you - value add
    Please add value or something of a back position. In stead of a "sort of" post.

We all have opinions - that's why this is a forum. I've seen plenty of posts I'd call snide - yet most people don't call them out.
    Do you like apples?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    That will be enough, thank you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Very welcome
  • jimmytulsajimmytulsa Posts: 48
    edited September 2013
    Looking for a used one (automatic) that is 1 to 3 years old. Would keep it long term, 10-12 years.

In terms of performance, quality, longevity, and cost, what is the general opinion on the choice?

Would extended warranty be warranted? Cost?

Thanks for the help.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,665
    edited September 2013
    Been there doing that (sorta)- back in '04 I bought a used '00 BMW 528iA and paid about what a loaded new Camry would cost. I still have it over 100k miles later and have had very few major repairs. In fact I've had such good luck that I recently bought a '01 BMW 330Ci Cabrio which is also giving me great service.

-IMO a 3-4 y/o car hits the sweet spot in the depreciation curve and most haven't got many miles on and so are good for many more. There are exceptions (like my 11 y/o 330ciC).

-Do your homework, check the car out thoroughly including PPI and you should do fine.

-As for extended warranties those are a crap shoot. I found out they're written by Philadelphia lawyers with degrees in Automotive Engineering.
    I found out when the VANOS module failed that it was not a "covered component" and was out $1500. OTOH they did cover the airbag module
    ($900).

Good luck, Jimmytulsa.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

While I'd admit I've been an Infiniti fan for the 6 years of ownership I've also been one who has always done the backround work, the research and have always been a person who has posted with more then just opinion, now I say this with the new q50 I think Infiniti has done itself a great disservice by not pricing this car lower- that being said with the current cut in cost of the old g37 - it's become far and away the best car in its class even at its advanced age. For those of you who post with more then opinion please go to true car and tell me what car on the right had side of this page has the performance, the features of the g at this pricepoint. Case in point price out a 320 x drive with sport and a couple of options - real money don't lie- the G is still the best car for the buck in class- and now we can thank Infiniti for the q for making this more of a landslide.
    edited September 2013
    I know you are busy dealing with tough posters but what about adding the q- maybe delete the tsx- now the only Ellps with a 4cly car only (sorry I think 5% are 6cly)- but it's always been here even as posters have said it should not be. Maybe move the tsx for the q or the new caddy which has now been around for 6mths and all mags think it should be included -
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,010
    Read an article in the Chicago Trib this morning about Edmunds.com doing a complete revamp of it's main site which will debut around the middle of August. Reason I mention this is Edmunds has always been slow in "fixing things" on these forums and with this new roll out of the main site the chance of making tweaks to this forum are pretty slim IMO. Maybe sometime in 2015.
    We aren't making any "tweaks" to the forum because we'll be migrating to a new forums software platform in the near future, and our efforts are focused on making that a smooth transition, and also getting everything we could want from a software platform taken care of before we move.

We won't have the 6-vehicle limit there, and the software also has much more "search-friendly" features. Unless something is critically broken on this platform, it's not going to get attention for the time being.

While the main site is being redesigned, our forums move is totally separate from that - the timing is just coincidental. We just couldn't live with all of the bugs, outages and slowness (not to mention the lack of basic features like private messaging and easy image upload), and we got the go-ahead from Edmunds to find a new vendor.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,010
    Thanks. Didn't have a clue that the forum side is being redone as well but on a different schedule possibly. Hopefully it will go better than several previous so called "upgrades" to the software. But while I can be a little sarcastic about the track record it is still a free forum and no intrusive advertising to put up with which is appreciated.
    Well, hopefully the new format will retain all of the features you like, and just add some more that you want. We've been busy testing it, and we're really pleased at how responsive the company is to our requests. We'll be doing a lot more testing prior to launch to do our best to make it a smooth transition.

I'm sure some people won't like it, but unfortunately staying with this platform is out of the question. We've had an extreme lack of support from our current provider, which is why sometimes technical issue fixes take way longer than they should.

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,510
    As long as new platform has fewer "Not Found" incidents, I'll be happy. There were weeks when I almost gave up.

Bringing back emotorcons would be nice, too.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

They're in our list of requests! "Not found" will *hopefully* go away altogether.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,381
    I'm picturing vbulletin here, but that's only because I'm not aware of many alternatives...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Maybe it will look like the new Apple iOS.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,934
    Any guesstimate about a timetable for the forums change?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4