Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,782

@roadburner

What happened? How'd you know there was something wrong? Limp mode? Car wouldn't start?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,916

So the debate shall start. Is this:

an ELLPS??

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,064

no. Fails at least one of the letters. But I kind of like it anyway!

That a variation of the upcoming 1 series FWD?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,689

@nyccarguy: The car was throwing a CEL every so often. No driveability issues. There's a TSB for the issue and it calls for an oil change so I got that for "free." While it was in the CBS said the car also needed new plugs(plugs used to be a 100K service item- oh well...) AND-as recent slow cranking suggested-the battery was shot. With the IBS you are pretty much locked in to a BMW battery so I bit the bullet and had the dealer do it. At least I should be good for at least another five years/57K on both the new plugs and battery. Driving away the DCT fault light came on. Turns out the steering angle sensor didn't initialize after the battery swap. Ten minutes later my tech beat it into submission and we had no issues after that. If you haven't guessed, this incident-along with BMW's rush to convert most every vehicle in their lineup into a soulless Germanic Lexus-is what has caused me to seriously consider finding another 1988 M6 to share the garage with the Club Sport. Grab a used Abarth/GTI/MCS JCW for a commuter sled/winter beater and I'm all set.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,689

@robr2 said: So the debate shall start. Is this:

an ELLPS??

I treat the FWD BMW like many Porsche True Believers treat the Cayenne and Panamera. I don't like it and would never consider one, but if it keeps Munich solvent and raises their CAFE average enough to let them turn out decent RWD ///M cars then I will forgive them their heresy...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688
    edited February 19

Roadburner you're exactly right, this isn't the BMW for lovers of RWD but we have plenty of terrific cars available to us that do feature RWD. We also need to understand that BMW is a wsorldwide maker/seller of cars that happens to be based in Europe. In the European market 5-door "family sized" hatches are as common as pickups are in North America.

The Active Tourer will be sold in the USA and I'd bet most will be AWD versions, in fact I might consider one of those.

There's also a lot of moaning among the hard core Propellerheads that BMW shouldn't be making a "minivan" but with a 105" wheelbase the Active Tourer is considerably shorter than the smallest Minivan on the US market, the Mazda 5 (@108"). In fact it has a shorter wb than my E46 Cabrio (107"). By US standards this is a subcompact hatchback.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

@stickguy said: no. Fails at least one of the letters. But I kind of like it anyway! That a variation of the upcoming 1 series FWD?

It's being marketed now as a 2 series. Yeah I don't get why they've chosen to add a FWD MPV to the 2 series line.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,362

Gotta say.....I came "that close" to buying the BMW X1 35ix. It really did fit my needs. And, I liked the feel of it (very, very similar to my E92) with more utility. BMW needs some help with their seats, though. Just couldn't get comfortable in it.

Also, really like what I'm reading about the M235i.

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,648

Simple, to help meet the new Café numbers. I'm simply amazed that my 3 series get's 33 on the highway, doing 85 with the AC on, For the last couple of weeks I have been driving between Phoenix and San Diego, and this is what I averaging. The EPA rated my car at 36 on the highway...

The picture is the new Active Tourer and it sells very well in other markets, over on Bimmerfest, like any other BMW forum there are two camps, one that love it and other is they hate it. MB has wanted to being over their B class but wasn't too sure how the US would receive it, the B class is sort of like the active tourer..

I love it. Would fit my needs perfectly most likely. Of course my favorite car from the auto show was the 2015 golf they had (euro model TDI stick). I loved it. Perfect package with an AT and 1.8t engine. So I may be predisposed toward liking this BMW

I did sit in a CLA too. Way too cramped. I had to contort to get in the back seat and also felt squeezed in the front. Visibility was terrible too. Truly firm over function.

@flightnurse said: The picture is the new Active Tourer and it sells very well in other markets, over on Bimmerfest, like any other BMW forum there are two camps, one that love it and other is they hate it. MB has wanted to being over their B class but wasn't too sure how the US would receive it, the B class is sort of like the active tourer.

The Active Tourer isn't on sale anywhere yet - it's a brand new model and category BMW will be offering for the 2015 model year.

The MB B class is coming but as an EV only in North America. It is expected in the 2nd quarter.

@graphicguy said: Gotta say.....I came "that close" to buying the BMW X1 35ix. It really did fit my needs. And, I liked the feel of it (very, very similar to my E92) with more utility. BMW needs some help with their seats, though. Just couldn't get comfortable in it.

Also, really like what I'm reading about the M235i.

The X1 35 is a hot little SUV and you can add the Performance package to it for and added kick..

The M235i is being billed at the savior of the "Ultimate Driving Machine." The specs of the M235i are VERY close to the E46 M3 including price but the M235i is faster then what the M3 was. Dealer have been to take orders for the 2 series since Jan and delivery of them are to start the middle of march. Graphic I'm with you, the M235i seems to be the savior for the true BMW fan, I want to drive one before I make a move...

@robr2 said: The MB B class is coming but as an EV only in North America. It is expected in the 2nd quarter.

My bad, when I read the press release I miss read that it was in Europe already, but I see that it says it will launch in Europe first..

@flightnurse said: The M235i is being billed at the savior of the "Ultimate Driving Machine." The specs of the M235i are VERY close to the E46 M3 including price but the M235i is faster then what the M3 was. Dealer have been to take orders for the 2 series since Jan and delivery of them are to start the middle of march. Graphic I'm with you, the M235i seems to be the savior for the true BMW fan, I want to drive one before I make a move...

FN...agree. I'll have to drive one first. And, I'm bound and determined to keep my current whip at least 3 years. So, that will be a little further down the road for me if I decide I like it.

With the sports package, that looks to be a really, really fun car, for a lot less than a 3 series with the same drivetrain.

@graphicguy said:

Graphic the M235i doesn't have a sport package, The M235i has an enhanced M package, and extra HP... It's truly going to be a good car but of course with the a little help from aftermarket guys the 320hp is only the start, I'm sure 400hp is easily attainable with very little cash outlay. So for under 45K someone could have themselves a very nice and very fast car.

• scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 394

Just a note that the B-class is ( and has been) available up here north of the border in Canada ( and I would also assume south of the border in Mexico) so reall the only place it isn't available in North America is the US.

Is that m235 just a renamed version of the current 1series or something new?

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,676

@robr2 said: So the debate shall start. Is this:

an ELLPS??

There appears to be many new 'entry' level luxury vehicles that I wouldn't consider a luxury vehicle...I saw the Audi A1 driving yesterday...err, not for me.

@scwmcan said: Just a note that the B-class is ( and has been) available up here north of the border in Canada ( and I would also assume south of the border in Mexico) so reall the only place it isn't available in North America is the US.

Sorry - I forgot about Canuckistan. Yes you guys have had the B class for a while - I've seen a few in Maine clogging up Old Orchard Beach.

@ivan_99 said: There appears to be many new 'entry' level luxury vehicles that I wouldn't consider a luxury vehicle...I saw the Audi A1 driving yesterday...err, not for me.

Where did you see an A1?

FN....thanks for the update.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,676

@robr2 said:

It was in Austin, TX.

White 2 door. I was going to follow and take a pic because I didn't know they were out...but I was running late.

@ivan_99 said: White 2 door. I was going to follow and take a pic because I didn't know they were out...but I was running late.

They aren't offered in the US or Canada but are sold in Mexico. Probably a visitor from down south.

@stickguy said: Is that m235 just a renamed version of the current 1series or something new?

remember odd numbered cars are sedans and even number cars are coupes. The 2 series is an all new car, bigger then last Gen 1 series.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688

@stickguy said: Is that m235 just a renamed version of the current 1series or something new?

The M235i is an all new design, a few inches longer than the current 135i. It is said to offer performance nearly equivalent to the 135M and will come in coupe and convertible form.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

@flightnurse said: remember odd numbered cars are sedans and even number cars are coupes.

Except the 2 series Active Tourer - there's no way they will convince anyone that's a coupe.

@robr2 said: Except the 2 series Active Tourer - there's no way they will convince anyone that's a coupe.

I don't think BMW has officially called this a 2 series. With all that BMW has put into renaming their cars and such, I don't see this staying a "2" series.

@andys120 said: The M235i is an all new design, a few inches longer than the current 135i. It is said to offer performance nearly equivalent to the 135M and will come in coupe and convertible form.

If you look at the specs of the M235i they are very close to a E46 M3, it's within an inch in almost every direction...

Looks like I'm going to HAVE TO ATTEND the next BMW Drive Event to see if the M235i is sitting at my dealer's showroom.