Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343

@nyccarguy said: sweendogy

I see you hate your state's front plate law. I don't blame you. Sexy looking S4!

To find the humorous side of my recent situation, I "uninstalled" my front license plate holder on my new S4. Left the 4 little screw holes there just in case. If it was on there, I imagine my accident would have caused another .25 man hours of work to repair, as they need to remove and replace the front bumper and grill. I will make sure they make my 4 guide holes though; just in case the CHP forces my hand some day.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,259

In California they'll ticket you even if you're parked if you have no front plate.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,763

@mrshift

in New York, they will ticket parked cars on the street with no front plate. They will also specifically pull you over for not having a front plate.

In Connecticut, you are required to have a front plate, but from what I understand (hearsay) the police will not specifically pull you over for not having a front plate. If you get pulled over for something else, then they'll give you a no front plate ticket as well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

I finally solved the problem on the MINI by integrating a front license plate holder with the tow hook anchor--the holder also includes the toll bridge transponder. Pretty neat solution to 2 problems!

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,901

@MrShift@Edmunds said: I finally solved the problem on the MINI by integrating a front license plate holder with the tow hook anchor--the holder also includes the toll bridge transponder. Pretty neat solution to 2 problems!

Except that now you look like an old guy trying to hard to be cool like all the kids and their modded out cars!!

:)

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,673

@nyccarguy said: mrshift

in New York, they will ticket parked cars on the street with no front plate. They will also specifically pull you over for not having a front plate.

In Connecticut, you are required to have a front plate, but from what I understand (hearsay) the police will not specifically pull you over for not having a front plate. If you get pulled over for something else, then they'll give you a no front plate ticket as well.

In TX I've gone 2 years without a front plate and didn't get stopped/ticketed once. Although they tend to taze old ladies here so I wouldn't recommend it...

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,648

Got to love AZ, we do not need front plates.... But plan to get a German plate when we are in Germany in the Fall.

@MrShift@Edmunds said: In California they'll ticket you even if you're parked if you have no front plate.

Yes, since you are on the street and the cars have to adhere to all DMV laws.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,934

I see lots of single plates around here. I'm in Jersey, and we have both, but am very close to PA and they are rear only.

I had to take my son's Jetta over tot he dealer when the plates came in, and watched the guy at the dealer bolt on the front plate holder by screwing in 4 self-tapping screws right through the front bumper skin. Would have been sadder if it had been my car!

at least my Miata was just a bracket that hooked on underneath, so you could take it off without leaving a trace.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,685

They cut no slack in NH. I had a plate fall off the front and got pulled over by a trooper in a matter of a couple of days. I also got stopped because the month showing on my inspection sticker didn't coinicide with the license plate tag. I even got stopped once for having my rear fog light on. The cop thought I had a blown taillight not realizing that rear fogs are usually only on the left.

I never got a ticket in any of those stops, just a warning. Those are the hazards of living in a low crime area I guess.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Well an old guy who didn't even know he was trying to look cool IS cool! :)

@robr2 said:

@andys120

"Live Free Or Die" New Hampshire has a front plate law? Aren't seat belts still optional for adults in NH?

@nyccarguy said: andys120

"Live Free Or Die" New Hampshire has a front plate law? Aren't seat belts still optional for adults in NH?

Last I heard they were still optional, as are helmets for motorcyclists. Makes no diff to me, I've been wearing belts since 1965 and I'd never dream of getting on a bike with no helmet.

@nyccarguy said: andys120

Seat belt laws in NH only apply to under 18 year olds and still no requirement for helmets.

@robr2 @andys120

We don't have a motorcycle helmet law in CT either

RE: "Live Free or Die" .....um....are license plates still made in prison? :)

@MrShift@Edmunds said: RE: "Live Free or Die" .....um....are license plates still made in prison? :)

Naturally, the taxpayers don't wanna have to pay people to have them made. B)

• sweendogysweendogy Left lanePosts: 1,174
    I have my front on with zip ties, string- and padding on the back of the plate itself to protect the lower bumper. It's "installed" lower on the body - I think it looks better but others could argue its doushie.

I think you actually do get paid in prison if you work.

It's too bad I have to mess up the front of my MINI with a license plate--but of course, how else will city governments increase their revenue with traffic light cameras, if they can't shoot the front of your car for the plate #?

• cartalkcartalk Posts: 134

@MrShift@Edmunds said: I think you actually do get paid in prison if you work.

It's too bad I have to mess up the front of my MINI with a license plate--but of course, how else will city governments increase their revenue with traffic light cameras, if they can't shoot the front of your car for the plate #?

The same way they do it in Arizona which only has a rear plate. They shoot a pic of the driver and another of the rear plate.

• eweinereweiner Posts: 36

Law changed in MD. If your car does not come with a front license mount then you dont have to add onebut you must have the second tag in the car. If there is a mount installed in the front you must mount the tag.

How about leaving it on the dash does that work or must it be mounted?

@sweendogy said: How about leaving it on the dash does that work or must it be mounted?

I wouldn't leave a plate on the dash. It's one more thing to fly around the car in case of an accident. (Says the man with 40 lbs. of lacrosse bag and sticks as well as work related product samples in the back of his Passat wagon.)

Interesting that Porsche just dropped a bomb in the "entry lux sport sedan" segment, it is going to build a baby Baby Panamera, with a V6 good for about 300hp. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-porsche-small-sedan-feature

The Porsche "Pajun" has been rumored for a couple of years now. It originally was thought to be a dedicated vehicle targeting the 5 series.

null
    Flight you are so back- nice - can't wait for this Porsche - could be sweet.

Might have known they'd figure it out. :@

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,308
    edited April 14

For those of you who might find this interesting (as I do), the '15 Acura TLX is going to be shown in production form at the NY Auto Show this coming Wednesday. My dealer was getting training in TX on the new TLX and posted this in another forum about what he learned during training....

[i]"-New remote start system like the new MDX ( remote start 3 ) that has a 1/4 mile range. - Under storage compartment in the trunk ( similar to RLX with no spare tire, just inflation kit with a spare available as an accessory ) - Fold down rear seats with trunk passthrough - All 4 windows power up/down 1 touch - Tech pkg and Advanced pkg have frameless mirrors ( similar to that on the new GM Corvette and Camaro ) - Electronic Parking brake - Electronic Shifter like in RLX Sport Hybrid - 7 speaker 355 watt base sound system - 10 speaker 490 watt tech/adv sound system -Siri Eyes Free - Gains of $2,000 in standard features - 3.5L V6 puts out 290hp and 267 torque - 9 speed automatic transmission with 25% faster shifting and 5 times faster paddle shiftting - 1mpg city increase and 5mpg highway increase for FWD - 3mpg city increase and 5mpg highway increase for SH-AWD - v6 model goes 0-60 a little over half a second faster - SH-AWD is 25% lighter and no longer protrudes into the trunk - SH-AWD system can now act like P-AWS when switching lanes, sending extra power to left rear wheel when moving right a lane and vice versa - Engine idle stop ( yuck ) - Integraded Dynamic System ( IDS changes steering feel and pedal response ) with a new Sport Plus mode to give old "Type-S" like steering feel and a new ECON mode for fuel economy. - Blind Spot with Cross Traffic Monitor - Road departure waring and Road departure Mitigation ( acts like CMBS ) - Tire fill assist ( beeps when correct tire pressure is met ) - Premium feel, engineers want you to feel the difference in the first 50 feet - 4 Inches shorter than old TL in the overhang. Wheelbase is the same - Color Keyed entry button - LED Taillights / Integrated rear Spoiler - Torsion stiffness up 21% - Acoustic Spray Foam to vastly cut down on road and wind noise. - 145 Pounds lighter ( TL FWD to TLX FWD ) - Motion Adaptive EPS with crosswind detection"[/i]

No pricing info that they're willing to share (yet) because they're trying to clear the '14 TLs off the lot, first. Sounds pretty darn compelling if they can keep the SH AWD version in that mid $40K range, where the old one is priced.

• dash5dash5 Posts: 418

Thanks Graphic, the TLX is definitely on my radar.
    "Torsion stiffness up 21% - Acoustic Spray Foam to vastly cut down on road and wind noise." Definitely like the spray foam and we will see about the Torsion stiffness.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,934

Is there still going to be a 4 cyl version that us non-rich people might come close to affording? Or us that being left to the Ilx?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)