Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    328i is the new 530i. lol.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Agreed. :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,708
    120d is the new 325i.. :P

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I drove a 2001 325i for a few days and based upon the numbers BMW is throwing round about their new 2.0 liter diesel mill, I'm thinking a 120d would flat embarrass the E46 325i.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited November 2011
    Dan - Got back from a business trip today and had a package waiting for me. I just got done listening to Opaline (no quality time for 5.1 today, I listened to the 24/96 stereo track with my headphones).

Great album and sound - thanks for the recommendation! A worthy addition to my collection.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,108
    Infinitis statement is working - they sell a boatload of cars- get good reviews - and continue to be relevant in this blog.
  • The point I was trying to make is- Infiniti is spending so much time chasing BMW that they are getting left behind in the dust.
    Secondly, I base my buying on my own experience with the car and the features that fits my needs. Not like the gullible ones that goes by what some magazine articles states. I say this all the time, back in 2000 when I graduated college, I got a decent job in a brokerage shop making a relatively good salary. I wanted a car and saw the Mazda Millennia, every research I did gave the car thumbs down. Me and my infinite wisdom test drove the car for about 2 hours- car was incredible and gave zero problems for the 36 months that I leased it.
    I have no problems with Infiniti, I wanted the FX when they first came out, I went the NYC auto show to check it out and it was a big disappointment in terms of rear space accommodations. I wanted the G35x, same problem-space and in addition that awful growl that invades the cabin.
    The TL has been very very good in the 27 months of ownership, the next stop for me are the Germans-if Acura upgrades the RL to a V8, I will stick with the brand. Here is the short list for next car hunt-
    E550 4matic
    E63 (Depends on the bonus and incremental base pay increase)
    550 XI

What do you think SWEENYDOG?????
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,101
    fedlawman...glad you enjoyed "Opaline". It's one of my faves....especially in surround.

While the weather is still nice (high 60s....in November, no less), I'm going to have to do a "get ready for winter" detail. Of course, now that the time change occurred, I'm hoping the weather holds out for the weekend, since it's too dark to do after work.

After 4K miles, I'm averaging 23.4 MPG in my 335i xDrive. Pretty darn good. I'm pleased.
  • I too have my copy of Opaline DVD-A. I like it A LOT. It reminds me of a mash-up of sounds from a couple of other groups, dominated by a kind of Hootie and the Blowfish sound but with a touch more of an acoustic mood.

Hard to beat for the price and in the TL it is a tasty treat of tunage!

Try some of the DTS offerings, if you get a chance -- also quite a treat, usually.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Having just bought a G37, I spent a week with it on a trip. I'm not impressed with Acura TL, they have not really moved forward in few years. And while I did a boat load of driving and looking, my wife and I were on the same page regarding the Acura, just no interest.

The cabin was too big for me along with the turning radius.

The G37 is a very compelling package. A fully loaded car, except the tech package cost me what a basic 335 would have been. (The 2012 M is really sweet and the M hybrid is gorgeous.) Does BMW fulfill it's mission better, yep. Would I rather be driving a 550 yep or even a 335, yep. But there are always compromises in life.
    edited November 2011
    I like the quieter tracks best. I love "Today/Tonight," "Candleburn," and "Drawn Out." Great songs with simply stunning sound! A couple of the louder tracks sound a little compressed/congested in places when I play them at volume.

Mark - I hear some U2 and Coldplay in this album.

The weather already sucks here and my M is in semi-hibernation now (battery tender all week long).

That's surprisingly good fuel economy - neither of my cars (Volvo and BMW - both with significantly smaller & less powerful engines) do as well.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,101
    edited November 2011
    fed....mark.....glad you like my recommendations. "Today/Tonight" is one of my favorite tracks, too. About 3 years ago, DTS was selling their own surround music disks on their own WEB site. I suspect they were getting out of the surround music biz in favor of the more popular (and more volume) DTS HD movie blu ray disks. Some interesting titles. Haven't listened to them in a while. Don't know if they're out of print or not. Have to dig them out.

My MPG is at 50-50 city/interstate. When I'm all interstate, it bumps up to about 28 MPG. All city driving is about 20-21 MPG. Pleased with all of it. Turbo 6 cyl, gobs of torque, no turbo lag, I'm liking it.

I still have to wonder how the BMW faithful will react to 4 cyl motors in the 2012 vs what has been years and years of 6 cyl offerings. I've read and heard of how "wonderful" the new 4 cyl engines are supposed to be. However, I don't know of anyone who's driven one yet (including the trade rags).
    I have to admit that the I-6 is intoxicating. I love the turbine-smooth power and sound it makes. It's one of the things I miss the most about my old 325i.

I'm sure the new 4 will be smooth, but I doubt if it will match the refinement of the I-6. On the other hand, it will no doubt be much smoother and more refined than the I-4 and I-5 I currently own.

I'm going to have to research those DTS discs...
  • To each his own- I say the opposite, TL over the G.
    Secondly, what do you mean Acura has not moved forward in a few years. Tell me what's so advanced on the G that the TL does not have mechanically and technologically? I am really baffled on this satement.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    I took the survey:

- You should make it clear the purpose of the survey in your post
    - There's an issue where you rank features 1-5 in importance, but there are only two features to rank.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    edited November 2011
    Alan Parsons and Steely Dan in/on DTS -- great discs.

However, I've noticed that some of the "remastered" discs that are just normal CD's sound great on the TL's PLII mode -- it almost makes me understand why DTS, DVD-A and SACD never really caught on: Good Very good is the enemy of great, once again. :surprise:
  • I wanted (and still do) an Infiniti product. I love my wife's '11 FX35 Premium (in black with the Java interior) -- but, I didn't want to have 2 of the same thing and I absolutely had to have blind spot indication (coming from my '09 Audi A4 Prestige where it was standard equipment.) The only Infiniti that I could get that had BSI was the M and I had to order an M with BOTH Premium and Technology packages to get the BSI (and the tech package seemed to contain expensive automatic cruise control hardware and software that I did not see -- at this time anyway -- the value in.) I also shopped for a new A6, but the lease rates and the discounts offered were breathtaking (and not in a good way)!

So, I test drove the G37X with EVERYTHING on it and found it to be great fun to drive and with acceptable levels of sport and lux -- and the lease prices were fantastic. Yet, the G could not be had with BSI -- and it seems (and is) a narrow vehicle, both in the interior width and the track. The G has a track of 60.2" and the TL is 63.8" -- you can feel the difference; and to me the difference made the TL feel more stable and nimble (almost like my outgoing 2009 A4.)

I probably would have gone with the G, despite the above, had it offered BSI.

Another contender was the Volvo T6 which could be had with BSI and felt even quicker with its "right now" torque, thanks to the turbo.

As someone said, to each his/her own -- the G just seemed cramped inside and somehow, compared to what I was used to, made me feel like I was a bug when I took it out on the Interstate (full of semi's).

Drive it like you live. :shades:
  • I am with you- it was on my short list.
    I think I am in pretty good shape 6' 1" +/- 218 lbs, I body build 4 times per week for 45 mins. The car just felt like my 99 Mazda Millennia in terms of space.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    This is the first time I've ever seen "Blind Spot Indicator" as a MUST HAVE feature. I've never had it, but I've also never missed it. Have managed without it for 18 years of driving thus far, so I'm pretty sure I can do without from here on out.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    edited November 2011
    What once were vices are now virtues. . . .

I never had TPMS until 2005 -- now, it too, is a must have (and it is now mandatory, so no longer a possible disqualifier.)

Got electronic stability control (branded ESP) in 2001, after thinking "why would I need that, I've got ABS?" -- then, after having it just one year, it became a must have, too (I understand it too will be no longer an option, this MY.)

Thought a back-up camera AND parktronic (aka backup sensors) were redundant -- now, after seeing the around view monitor PLUS front and rear parktronic (on my wife's Infiniti), I can hardly imagine not having AT LEAST a back-up camera and parktronic. Actually, I wish I had front and rear parktronic like my wife's 2005 and 2008 BMWs had on them.

Torque vectoring? Yep, it is rapidly overtaking both plain ol' Quattro and ATTESA as THE drive-line must have.

6,7,8 and more speed transmissions -- you guessed it: Must have.

Tires that auto-correct for under (or over) inflation: #1 Coming soon; #2 Must have (think of the billions of dollars of fuel alone this tech will save.)

Auto shut off and restart after full stop: ditto.

Heated AND Cooled (ventilated) seats: need you even ask?

In-car communications systems that when activated automatically turn down ventilation fans to assure the voice command systems "hear" the commands you give with nearly zero errors? Ya think?

ABS PLUS brake assist? You bet.

Electrochromic mirrors? Certainly damn near vital. . . .

And the beat goes on. :surprise: