Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,522
    Mileage I haven't heard yet from anyone who has a new 528i or Z4, but in theory it should get better mileage, however its a realitive thing if you are always in the boost then mileage is going to suck.
    Shipo this is encouraging to hear, but when your friends say high 30's they can't mean 37 or 38 on highway. IF true, this would throw a big wrench in both the hybrid world and thier own diesel 3 series. BTW, I think the 3 series BMW is a true wolf in sheep clothing, drove one and loved it, however the price tag to enter I couldn't justify.
    Why is it easy to pile miles on in AZ, say Austin or Tampa? Since I live in Phoenix, I hardly drive many miles (I'm usually in another city working) however when I was working in Phoenix, I didn't but more miles then when I lived in San Diego.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The highway MPG number that I've heard bandied about is just what you suggested, 37 to 38. That said, I don't think it will be much of a show-stopper for the new 320d (either version) because, while the numbers are harder to squeeze out of those in the know, very high forties or low fifties are what I'm led to believe.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    According to info posted about the new Z4 sDrive 28i on www.fueleconomy.gov, its estimated to get 33mpg hwy, with the new 8 speed transmission.

While I would never say never, I don't see how a larger car will use the same, or very similar running gear and do better than the Z4. I can't see the high 30's... At best, the very low 30's, which is still nothing to whine about, IMO.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    When I go there, I normally put 50'to 100 miles a day on my car. If I worked in Phoenix I would commute 80 miles r/t. To me that's piling on the miles.
    The numbers I've been quoted are for RWD and Manual Transmission equipped F30 328i models; in the case of the Z4 this configuration yields 34 mpg on the highway. That said, my understanding is that while the engine in the 2012 Z4 is the same basic engine, the unit which will find its way into the F30 has a few changes. As I understand things, the new engine should deliver slightly more power and better fuel economy.

Time will tell. :D
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,050
    With the added power, better Mpgs and it being a little bit lighter - question will be why would anyone buy a 335 ? Performance wise they are very similar reading car and driver- they can both be set with the m package- plus Mpgs in the mid 30s highway ... Won't be long before BMW bumps the HP on the 335 I would guess.
    I've had the exact same thoughts.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,426
    And the price, too, of course.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Are you saying that BMW is being a 2 liter diesel? 320d???
    Interesting to hear that, however if you lived here why would you drive 80 miles RT? would you live in Casa Grande?
    "Are you saying that BMW is being a 2 liter diesel? 320d???"

Yes, that is my understanding; there are supposedly two different 2.0 liter diesel 320d versions being released to the market, one a higher mileage version and one a higher power version. That said, it remains to be seen if both will make it here to the States.
    Good question would love to see a manual awd version - one can dream.

Internal thought "Infiniti can you build a manual g37xs before manuals go the way of the north American redtailed puffin"
    Shipo that is good news, with the way today's diesels run this should be a great combo, just hopefully BMW wont price it too high.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,091
    That was my main problem with the E90 335d. They tried to go upmarket with it thinking maybe people would buy a 335d over a 335i. Hopefully a small diesel will be offered price comparable to the 328i. Oh, & please offer diesel with a stick & Xdrive.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,091
    Uh-oh, that's 2 things we agree on in the same post.

I'd like Infiniti to also offer a G37X w/ a 6 speed stick

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I have a little piece of the rock outside of Phoenix.
    edited December 2011
    http://m.caranddriver.com/article.rbml?id=http://blog.caranddriver.com/?p-71672

Goodnight TL or TSx. Acura finally getting it - After all those rants over the years . The bad sales numbers, the styling, the performance. Return of the legend......And a new Nsx.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,695
    Wow, hopefully Acura is going to improve a bit. They've really descended since the redesigns of the TL and TSX.