Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Yup. It's a friend's 2012. Sapphire Black Metallic/Black Leather. He put the black BMW grill, and had the stock wheels powder coated. He also had all the chrome trim on the truck powder coated. He left all the Roundels blue & the /// stripes on the M badge in color. It is one of the most unique looking X5s I've ever seen. He's on his 2nd. His 1st was a 2010 X5 ///M in Silverstone/Black.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    It does look good.

Must be nice to be able to buy a new X5 M every 2 years...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    Just to expand on this a bit, AWD hampers performance IN SOME WAYS (more weight will always do that), but gains in back in others. The SCCA, at least, acknowledges that AWD is an overall performance benefit, thereby putting the 227-hp WRX in the same class as the 300-hp 135i, and the 165-hp Impreza in the same class as the GTI, Civic Si, and V6 Genesis Coupe.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    Sweeny the price of the car should not determine how fast it goes. If this was the case then the MB E350 Blue-Tech shouldn't be produce. BTW, the Lexus LS600 should be a fast car since its north of $125K... However there are other cars that are faster for less money.
    damn you beat me to it, yes, I liked the article, I was worried about the Elec steering however its not much of an issue.. Can't wait for a full report though..
    Audi cleaned up in racing in the 80s with the AWD cars they raced.... Such a hamper of performance.....
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Flight...Ok thanks - I understand that that is why I also mentioned in prev posts the mpg advantage - but I'm sorry 10 seconds for a sedan in the 30k range is slow- but that being said I'm sure it has plenty of midrange grunt.

FYI in less then 2 hrs Acura has a big announcement at the auto show in Detroit
    Ok all my friends out there who track their cars on a regular basis or have driven cars on a track. I understand the basic idea of why RWD rocks (especially on the track). The front wheels steer the car while the rear wheels drive the car. RWD is lighter and less complex. You can oversteer the car if you want to.

How does the AWD car have such an advantage if it is heavier and has a tendency to understeer (although not as much as a FWD car)? I also know there are different types of AWD systems out there. BMW's X Drive is RWD based, Subaru's Symmetrical AWD (50/50 Split with a WRX Manual Transmission), Audi has 2 types of quattro (50/50 & the Rear Biased in their performance models).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    This is a conversation that can only go down the wrong path. Tracking/racing the car is one thing, street driving is another.

The only reason I have AWD is I don't have to put on snows, and if I need snows, I'll put em on four wheels. The rest of the supposed benefits or disadvantages I don't really care about, because I'm not racing my daily driver. I'm trying to get back and forth to work safely.
    edited January 2012
    My question is specifically for tracking/racing, not street driving a daily driver.

Not trying to start a RWD vs. AWD war.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    Well, the tendency to understeer is of course relative to the car. Not all do. And for those that do, a rear swaybar upgrade can take care of that, as can, to some degree, a front/rear differential in tire pressures (higher pressure in the rear will add oversteer).

The biggest advantage to AWD on the track, IMHO, is being able to get on the power much earlier and harder. Traction coming out of turns is critical, and, obviously, you get much more power down to the road with AWD.

My personal experience was with my G35x compared to all other vehicles I've autocrossed. I did not have to be at all careful with the X. Just all gas or all brakes and nothing in between. With every vehicle since, I've had to train my right foot to wait and then modulate.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Big announcement is here- new rdx (based on the cr-v), the Ilx (civic based) which is a fwd smaller car, and finally the nsx which will be a awd hybrid. Looks like styling on the first 2 are inline with current offerings.
    So than for your average non-tracking driver who enjoys on/off ramps & twisty back roads, the only advantage of AWD is the extra traction provided by the 4 driven wheels on slick surfaces?

• The NSX is a looker-right, but three years is a long wait.
    What's going on with the RL- doesnt look like Acura is shooting for 8, maybe they will mimick the NSK 6cycl hybrid.
    Nsx does look pretty cool. I don't know anything about the RL as it wasn't mentioned in anything I read about the auto show or on the Acura website. The new entry level caddy looks promising - lighter then most packing a 300hp eng.
    Yeah, the new X5 M every 2 years is a drop in the bucket for him. His wife drives a '10 750 Li w/ X Drive. His 3rd garage is currently occupied by a Challenger SRT-8. I say currently because I think he's sold the Dodge & is one of the 1st on the list for a new M5.

You are biting your tongue over there Mark.

• alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    This is a huge topic and lots of variables so probably no simple, definitive, answer.

As a simple soul I'd try, (and probably fail), to categorize as follows :

Given that the driver is reasonably competent in all cases then RWD takes some beating on a good dry track and the car can be beautifully "balanced" into/out of corners. On the rough stuff - gravel, forest tracks, (e.g. typical WRC special stages), or very wet conditions/snow etc then AWD will have advantages simply by having drive at all four corners. Then we get into weight distribution and front engine, mid-engine, rear engine configurations. Early Porsches were pretty quick but, in the hands of the unwary the engine hanging out the back would generally try and overtake the front of the car without much warning. Of course, a world class driver in either a FWD or RWD car will outperform an idiot in an AWD car, (of similar performance).

That's the simple version - probably. :)
    So they FINALLY going to make the next Gen NSX, With a V8 or V10 great, I wonder how much money they are going to lose on each one they sell?