Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited March 2012
    "4000 is the new 3000."

And 300 is the new 200 (horsepower).
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    They've clearly been taking queues from women's clothing sizing, except the other way around. Size 6 is the new size 10.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

All kinds of possibilities with that opening Kirstie...but I know better.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    How am miles are on your prelude and is it a stick?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    My Prelude Type SH has 145,000 miles. Yes it's a stick. Type SH Preludes were only sold with a 5 speed manual transmission.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Stopped by a BMW dealer this evening on my way home from work to test drive a 2011 328xi. I dig it. The steering, suspension, handling... You all know the drill.

If I can get some more cash for my TSX, then I'm going to go through with it. I'll keep you all posted!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,894
    nyc....I think I hear a "Stories from the Sales Frontlines" coming up. Would love to hear the particulars on the "deal".

I know you took good care of that Prelued. And, it has a really good following. But, I also know dealers would probably wholesale it, not because it's not worthwhile, but because of the 145K miles.

You know the drill. Stick an ad in the local newspaper and see what someone will give you for it if the dealership is lowballing you. Discounts on the '11 328 should be pretty hefty right now.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    He's looking to trade the 2010 Acura TSX, and keep the Prelude forever.

What is it with guys here ditching their relatively new Acuras for BMWs?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    edited March 2012
    It's the fact that the new 3 series is a bit too heavy and a bit too isolated from the driving experience. The consensus on the new transmission is that it's not nearly as good as the previous generation model, either. Essentially the 3 series has priced and sized itself out of the market and a lot of people wish they had bought the 1 series instead.

Acura has the same problem as well. The current generation models are much larger than their predecessors and while they are nicer looking and feeling inside, they really don't drive any better. In fact, if anything, it's a bit worse for the same sort of reasons as the BMW. Unfortunately, Acura doesn't sell a smaller car than the TSX in the U.S.

Note, this also applies to many other makers. The CTS, for instance, is a 5 series competitor and doesn't belong here either. The new ATS should, though. The G37 is honestly right at the upper end of what's acceptable, especially since you really don't need the AWD version. AWD is only a must for FWD cars in this class. But it's still quite heavy.

Now, my favorite car in this class, is the RX-8. Yes, I know, the stupid rear doors aren't exactly styled and put on right, but it's really a sedan masquerading as a "coupe". 3000lbs almost exactly and it handles like a dream as you'd expect. It might not be the fastest or the best on a test track, but it dodges in and out of traffic like a go-kart by comparison to most other cars.
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,523
    NYC is looking at a 2011 328ix, so your rant doesn't work. BTW, have you driven a 2012 3 series yet or is your rant purely speculation?

The RX8 is a great car, however it LOVES to drink oil and fuel, and why does it love to drink fuel, because he have to rev the crap out of it to just drive the thing.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    RX-8 is a Mazda and Mazda, while nice drivers, are not remotely considered to be luxury or even "near-luxury". Acura is coming with the ILX this late spring or summer. A smaller replacement for the TSX and can be had in a stick with a little over 200hp I believe. Basically, it's a luxury Civic SI and from what I saw at the auto show looks very nice style wise and the interior treament makes you forget what a disaster the Civic is. Pretty well done and will come in in the high twenties.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    I did drive the new generation 3 series and the manual transmission was a bit off and the steering was number than I'd like. It doesn't have the feel of, say, the old E46, or the E36. It's odd in a way. You want performance, but if it's too isolated and soft, it tends to make it feel more like a video game than a driving experience.
  • Do you believe this guy- a RX8.
    The adaptive steering package takes care of that problem, which I'm betting will come standard in the M sport package coming this summer.
    I didn't think the transmission was a problem.
    It is a great sports car, but talk about maintenance heavy car....
  • That's my point- he was rambling about the TL's weight and performance and for the class that the RX8 is in-the RX is considered mediocre.
    I think the 0-60 time for this car is approaching 8 secs- not that I care.
    I love Mazda's- I had the Millenna (1st car after graduation) but the RX I think I can live without.
    Stickguy beat me to the punch. I'm looking to trade-in my 2010 Acura TSX w/ Tech pkg (48,600 miles, Black/Black) for a 2011 E90 328xi sedan.

The salesman I dealt with last night was a fellow enthusiast who has been selling BMWs for 7 years (5 @ this dealer). His daily driver is a 335xi w/ a stick. During the test drive I asked him what his opinion of the new F10 328i was. He really likes the 2.0L 4 cyl turbo engine & the 8 speed automatic. He said they definitely softened up the ride (he doesn't like). When I asked about the new electric power steering, he replied: "Not a fan."

I will keep you guys updated as well as all my friends on the other boards here on Town Hall.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    this is a new 2011 leftover, right? Or is it a demo of some kind? you probably said elsewhere but it has slipped my mind!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

It is a brand new 2011. Still at the port actually. But all the cars I'm looking at are new.

The dealer had a 335xi (E90) sitting in the showroom without navigation.

Not to stray too far off topic, but that new RWD Toyota/Subaru is looking very interesting...