Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,596
    No stick in the G25 pretty sure.

the TSX is probably the best choice in the category, unless you can find a killer deal on a strippo 3 series.

Can the Passat V6 come with stick? not really a handler, but an interesting option.

Audi A4 come in price wise?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    I did the deal today guys! Come next week I'll be a BMW owner once again.

2010 Acura TSX w/ Technology Pkg - Black/Black - 48,8XX miles. Trading it in for 18,500.

2011 BMW 328xi - Titanium Silver, Blk leather, Value pkg, Premium pkg, Steptronic, Heated steering wheel, split folding rear seats, Xenon headlights, Navigation, Satellite radio, Destination.

MSRP: $44,190
    Purchase Price: $38,746

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    Agreed that Audi's/VW's 2.0T engine chipped is the best way to go for 35K and under.

I have an '06 A3 with Unitronics Stage 2 "chipping." The stage 2 takes advantage of my custom exhaust system over the stage 1. Put in an S3 intercooler and I basically have a non-Quattro S3 which is a car that is far TOO good for the US market. :cry: :shades:

It is very fast. Not sure about REVO's software, but most "chipped" 2.0T motors get around 280-290 lb/ft of torque to go along with the 250-260 HP.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,596
    that baby sounds loaded. Nice discount there from MSRP certainly.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    If by mid 30s you are talking 33-37k you should be able to get into a base G37 as long as you don't load it up with nav and sports pkg. Discounts are fairly heavy off MSRP.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    The CTS I drove was 3 years ago...think it was right when they came out.

The tranny was very smooth shifting. When used in tiptronic mode with spirited driving it would take a very long time to shift after I made my selection...shift lever...1 second...2 second...almost 3...shift.

But as a disclaimer...I find all 'pretend manual' automatics to be that way. Unless you're driving in the hills/mountains where you'd like to hold your gear the tiptronic isn't very useful. Love the DSG...haven't drive the new 8spd.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,701
    No stick in the G25 pretty sure.

Yeah, after I wrote my original post I thought that might be the case.

It's kind of a sparse field between the Mazda 3 and the ELLPS's if you are looking for a stick shift AND really good handling. You would think some automaker would come in and plug that hole around $30-$35K.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,919
    edited March 2012
    VW CC or TSX..

I don't think the TSX gives up any handling to the Mazda3, though...

I like the GLI idea, but I've never driven the new model....

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    It's kind of a sparse field between the Mazda 3 and the ELLPS's if you are looking for a stick shift AND really good handling.

Sounds like someone needs to write Audi that they'd want an A3 sedan if they want something with great handling, a 6 speed stick, and slot in the 30 to 35K zone.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,899
    nyc....too cool. Great car (the one you traded) for an even better one. Plus, you made a great deal. Let us know when you take delivery.

Congrats!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    Is this a picture of a 2014 A3 Sedan -- A3?!?
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    What year was it? Mine was the first year for the C5, Millennium Yellow, had the Z51 package, that might have helped..
    The poster didn't say he wanted a new or used car. A used ELLPS can be had for mid 30s with no problem.
    Congrats, however according to Sweeny those deals do not happen...
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    My favorite deals are the program cars and the ones where the financing fell through. You get essentially a new car with 3-5K on it for many thousands off of the new price. And you also don't pay the initial registration tax/fee of several thousand dollars.
    I believe that is the A4 sedan, too big for the A3 Sedan
  • dag63dag63 Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your responses. A lot to ponder. I drove a Volvo S60 and a BMW 328 tonight. Didn't think much of the Volvo; great interior (seats and stereo, especially), drove like the '97 850 i owned before the Mazda. The 328 was a sweet ride, but I have three problems with it: 1) $40k for a low-end model, though I could probably get it for $38k or so (thank you, Costco); 2) even without the tech package, it still has more tech than I need (I can check with tire pressure and oil on a little screen - why?); and 3) most importantly, it's still kinda small to carry two teenage boys in the back on a road trip. I may look at slightly larger cars (probably not ELLPS), like the Chrysler 300, Hyundai Genesis, and Passat V6. If I could afford an A6, 528, or M37, I'd really look into those.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Thanks fellas! I'm going to find out tomorrow when the delivery date is. I seriously cannot wait!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "I did the deal today guys! Come next week I'll be a BMW owner once again."

Nice upgrade! Congrats!