Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    When I drive cars, one thing I judge them by is their comfortable driving speed or "natural loafing sweet spot" as you so nicely put it. According to me, it is the driving speed at which the car "feels" just right driving at. Not full throttle, where's the fire, my wife's water just broke, and her contractions are 2 minutes apart driving.

My Prelude feels perfect at 75, even though the tach needle is over 3K. Anything over that and I feel I'm driving the Prelude "fast,"

My former TSX felt just right at 80. Which seems logical given that it is heavier than my Prelude, has more sound deadening material, and an actual overdriven 5th gear.

I've had the BMW up at 90 for a few brief moments and the car was as you and my wife have pointed out is "scary fast." The car is just inceredibly planted at speed.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    Price is big to me. An unfortunate side effect of being poor! If I only figured out 20 years ago how much I could have saved getting 2 puppies instead of having kids...

anyway, that is why I have fully embraced the mantra: depreciation is your friend! Assuming you aren't the first buyer. the couple of CPO 328i models I found last week (a 2008 and a 2009) were going to cost about what a load up Focus would, or a mid-level Camry. IOW, affordable, and a very realistic alternative to brand new.

Though I still want to see a Dodge Dart in person!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Stickguy - you don't want a Dodge Dart. I don't care how much of a guised up Alfa Romeo it is. It happens to look great in the pics I've seen. It's not a BMW.

Just a personal note about those '08 & '09 CPO 328is (plural). Some of the '09s came with these 16" wheels standard. They look small on the E90 IMHO.

My Mom had an '08 328xi for 3 years & almost 60K miles. Not only was it a great car to drive, but absolutely bulletproof.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    There is a refinement in the BMW not present in the G. Only you can decide if that is worth it to you.

@nyccarguy - congrats. It is gorgeous. Makes me really miss by ex-BMW. My G cannot match the smoothness of my ex-BMW. HP ain't everything.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Agree the refinement is something for sure. I'm sure the new BMW 3 for 2012 should help the dated interior and nav setup, as others have pointed out. Audi continues to excel at interiors and is the standard for the class for such. The 25% or more msrp difference is Hard to ignore for the 335 vs g37- (please dont argue with me - ive priced them option for option) and even the msrp for the 328 balloons to 50k. I think NyC did a great job getting the deal on a great car- and I wish him well and I hope to see him on the Merritt one day.
    My argument has never been the g as a better car- but a better value for a lot of the same things the BMW does. The g or Acura might never be the top pick for car and driver mag, or the "true driver"- but in consumer reports they have consistently ranked better. An unbiased news rag with no advertising support- I think the true driver, a person who wants the true sport and performance is going to get the 335 or 328 - with sport and stick. Other then that set up these cars in this class are very close regardless of price. -
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    There is a difference between comparing two cars and mentioning cars. No were are you going to find anyone comparing a mustang (Boss 302) to a BMW.

Now I would love to add the Chrysler 300C to the list, after having one for 8 days I have to say for the price you get a lot for your money. When the 8 spd auto goes into the car for MY 2013 this will be a car that will give Infiniti and BMW a run for their money...
    edited April 2012
    I don't understand the first paragraph - but agree the chryster has made major strides in a short period. Nice job flight - your back
    Hey Stick I agree with you to a point regarding depreciation. Price is a relative thing, if I couldn't afford a new BMW, yes, I would go for a CPO BMW, but I keep my cars longer then most, currently I have no plans on selling my 05. If I had to sell one of my BMW the 2011 is a goner.

My partner hasn't made up is mind what car he wants, he was edging towards a 535i, I was sort of pushing towards a 740i (same engine with 15+ more hp.) But he started looking at used A7s he is looking at price (trying to save some money.) So who knows what we will buy, but for him price is playing a factor.
    Sweeny the reason why you don't understand the first paragraph is simple, it was directed at you comparing a Jeep to a BMW...

With the 8 spd coming to 300C, the might G will have major competition in the best bang for the buck. For under 40K the 300c will be a major player. Just as long as Chrysler doesn't program the 300c to go into "eco" mode so quickly even BMW will have to watch out.
    edited April 2012
    And your back to the defensive norm- if you follow the posts my comment again was for stick guy saying the 328xi autonwas scary fast in the real world- and I responded with saying the jeep was almost as fast - but it's a jeep, thats the point -

Fun odd fsct- Jeep and the c300 share the same parent - please give us updates on when to expect the 8speed auto becomes available.
    Kdshapiro - Thanks my man! I just love the car and cannot say enough good things about it. Haven't heard from you in a while & glad you are still here!

BTW men - I turned 36 today!

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Gee, didn't know Chrylser was a luxury brand. Never see it mentioned in the rags as such. Since the Chrysler 200 is the "entry-level" Chrysler and can have the same engine as the 300, I guess one could make an argument that the 200 should be part of this discussion. Wait, isn't that the remake of the acclaimed Sebring? That will never do.

It seems like anytime someone drives a car with leather, some power and decent driving attributes they think it's ELLPS. Use some discretion folks. The 8spd is offered in the Charger. Again, leather, decent handling, 8spd tranny and good power from a v6. Should it also be ELLPS?

Personally, I think there is more to being a luxury brand than nice leather. Including driving experience, styling that holds up over time, amenities, cutting edge tech, customer service, warranty, dealer experience and overall quality of components. I don't think Chrysler is there yet....maybe a couple of pieces but not the whole pie.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    happy birthday. Keep enjoying that early present.

I was 36 once. A long time ago. A real long time.

I have a birthday in a few weeks, but it is much more renowned than 36 (as a milestone!)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

I love Alfa's, I had a GTV-6 for a short period, the music the engine made was so Ferrari like however, like all Italian Cars, if they are not kept up as far as service they are a nightmare to keep running. However, I would have to assume that the modern day ALfa's are not of the old, much more derivable and much less a problem. I'm for once waiting to see what the new Dart will look like in person and drive.. Hoping that National will get them as rentals I would have to give it a try.
    I am not the one who continues to write comments about how wonderful the G is over the 3 Series. In fact your G is very dated compared to the 3 series. Your comment about dated interior and Nav in the new MY 2012 shows you do not have first hand knowledge of the car.

Go buy a new G37 then talk about how wonderful it is, stop reading the mag's and coming off as an expert.
    NYC - thx. Life takes over. Happy birthday to you. This particular discussion is probably the best on the interwebs. Now stay out of the cops radar. :)
    edited April 2012
    I really can't agree with your post. BMW makes the better sports sedan and has great tech. And while the g is certainly due for a refresh, it is a great car in its own right.

The nav is very good, tech in the car is good. It's an acceleration monster and really hugs the road. The wood trim gives the interior a very classy look. Cup holders stink, but I love the electric telescoping steering wheel. Highway mileage is decent, trunk is roomy. I love that hids are standard. And I have all the goodies for a measly 45k. Bt integration is awesome, and the Bose is good. Non sport seats are comfortable.

So while I love bmws, the g37 is not an also-ran and in almost every comparo, comes in second for good reason. I tested out the awd system during that freak October storm and I was impressed.

As i started out this post, the g is a fine car in its own right.
    Fact, I never talked about the Chrysler 200, all of my comments have been regarding the 300C.

Fact, the only LX car NOT to have the 8 spd for MY 2012 is the V8 cars, whether they are Dodge or Chrysler, that will change for MY2013 when all LX cars will get the new 8 spd auto.

Fact, Chrysler was the Luxury division, granted they suffered in the past, but I can state things have gotten better, and yes, they should be in the ELLPS. The feel of the leather, switches, steering, handling and the closing of the doors have a great feel to them, if you haven't driven one then it is hard to make comments about the cars.
    Sweeny wrote, " Fun odd fsct- Jeep and the c300 share the same parent - please give us updates on when to expect the 8speed auto becomes available."

This makes no sense, the Nissan Versa and Infiniti G37 are from the same parent too, so when we can expect the Versa to get a V6 option?
    Upscale vs luxury. My local Chrysler dealership is not in the same league as my local lexus dealership.

Do all manufacturers who put leather seats in their vehicles belong in this discussion?