Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Great rebut, billy loved it, but Quite similar. I might have been off a year with accord- the 08 newer body coupe came with 268hp 6- a very similar if not the same gearbox- throw on a pair of after market brembos and tire rack to performance tires -btw you get 18s on the accord- and you have a TL coupe- while the tL might be a great fwd turner it's still an accord in soul- a lot of soul. Which is not a bad thing- so again maybe you should save a buck or 30k and reconsider the accord.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited November 2012
    Tuner Accord coupe instead of a Boxster S? I don't think that's for me. I "tune" $50 million real estate projects for my day job, serve on a couple of boards where I "tune" companies for shareholders, and even "tuned" a falling down 1930's house (with a bulldozer) into a new FLW prairie style house for my wife and kids. But I've still got my $125 gas leaf blower pulled apart trying to figure out why it won't start. I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how you might tune FWD into RWD and a 60/40 weight balance into a 50/50. I don't think you'd want to ride in a car I've tried re-fitting with Brembo brakes.

On the other hand, if I was going to take up a second career in mechanical engineering, I might start by figuring out how to replace a BMW steptronic with a 6-speed manual so Billy can have a manual transmssion 550ix's in his garage in a couple of years.

Not me....but I do like your creative thinking.
    I noticed the use of "" around a word tune, a lot. - don't get it - I said turner- ie left"turn" - "tuning" a car with new breaks and tires, that's not a tune - it's a upgrade.

Glad your making a "tune" on realestate - watch out for those arms, ballon payments and contingencies. The comment was to say you were not an accord guy- well in a way you do own an accord, or at least a similar variation -
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    edited November 2012
    I started out with an 83 RX7 GS then a GXU RX 7 .I love those cars and they stopped making them.
    So I got into Integras , What a deal and fun ride.My last one was an RSX Type S it was a rocket ( can you say rice on here?)
    Then Acura decided that the TSX would be the entry modle (screwed )again.
    So, I had to go with BMW ,warranty was the seller,but the price was almost divorce city.
    My problem is I live in the East and Vail in the winters and swapping over to steel wheels and studded ties drove me nuts.I bought a VW Golf as I was impressed with the German quality,except for Mercedes. I needed a natural aspirated engine for the Rockies.
    Back to the 3 series do you think by laying out 41k that had the options that should of been standard I got stiffed.
    Why is it driving home after every car sale I feel like I just got screwed again.
    While my wife says that her IS was a bargain. :confuse:
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    edited November 2012
    I think it's because cars are too similar. Once upon a time, they were all designed by people who didn't know what they were doing. In fact, it wasn't until about WWII that it was decided to put things like gas pedals and so on in the configuration that they are now in, or to decide which direction doors would open up.

So occasionally you got a real gem in the middle of the crap. Because people were trying everything and anything to be different and maybe make a breakthrough.

Today, cars are all jellybeans and are all designed by people that all went to the same half dozen design schools. You feel like you had to compromise because every car *is* a compromise by the time it gets through a dozen layers of management and meetings.

Your next car should be a classic. Something that is different, simple, and about the driving. Not about the options. Something that has soul and won't depreciate out from under you.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Well said.
  • I needed a natural aspirated engine for the Rockies.

I thought it was the other way around? That you wanted forced induction at altitude? :confuse:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    What is going on with the yawn feast over at Infiniti? Everyone else seems to be moving forward with new products that are bringing new customers into their brand, even Acura, but Infiniti just seems to be sitting there with their arms cross. Forget the actual products, but where is the actual news of new entry level models coming, fuel efficient/hybrid models, within the next 6-10 months?
    I know this was to tweak me- but ill play the game. New customers -'like they are doing with the new Jx? They have a hybrid-
    Google Infiniti news smarty- pretty easy - enjoy the day

http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-next-gen-infiniti-g-sedan-testing-near-the-nurbu- rgring-272761.html/0/
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,523
    I thought it was the other way around? That you wanted forced induction at altitude?

Thanks you, I was lost on that one myself, I figured the turbo 4 would be the one to get, however, the GTI is the only golf to have non diesel to have a turbo....
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    Something that has soul and won't depreciate out from under you.

Yeah, good luck with that. I bought a Lincoln LS back in '00 and got to watch it die over the next several years. The car definitely had "soul," but the company did not.

YMMV
    I thought it was the other way around? That you wanted forced induction at altitude.

Yeah, me too. Something about the laws of physics comes to mind.

I just love these boards.
    All engines tend to not do well at 10K+ feet. Some engines run at excess capacity and can compensate and some cannot. ie - a GM supercharger simply assumes you have normal density air/runs at full pressure and so it's effect at higher altitude is to essentially offer little if any boost to the engine. Though it will likely make the engine get enough extra air that it will operate fairly normally.

Most turbos work similarly. The downside of turbos, though, is that most of them are attached to tiny engines that have no torque unless the tubro is engaged, so you have to downshift a gear or two to keep the RMPs up enough to get that boost. This of course is easier with a manual for either type of design, which is why manual transmissions are usually best for high altitude running as well. (snow as well - you can start a manual in 2nd while most automatics need a special snow mode).
    I did say a classic car. Something from 2000 doesn't exactly qualify. Too many computers and bits to fail as well.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited November 2012
    The E30 BMW 3 series comes to (my completely unbiased :blush: ) mind, but is a bit small by modern standards. I just helped my neighbor find a nice, local 318is. He paid $4000 for it and its tight as a drum. Its loaded too with sunroof, leather, on-board computer, cruise control, ABS, and an airbag. ;)

The E39 5 series is a bargain today too and compares well with the current cars in this segment.
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,523
    Interesting.... The VW 2.0; TSI makes 200hp and 256;bs of torque, and at 10K ft, will make roughly 80% of that, Ford Foucs ST 257hp from a 2L turbo, so again, why wouldn't you want a turbo car at higher altitudes again?

In regards to turbo v super charger, I was under the impression that a turbo engine was better at high altitudes then say super charged engine.

ll engines tend to not do well at 10K+ feet. Some engines run at excess capacity and can compensate and some cannot. ie - a GM supercharger simply assumes you have normal density air/runs at full pressure and so it's effect at higher altitude is to essentially offer little if any boost to the engine. Though it will likely make the engine get enough extra air that it will operate fairly normally.

Most turbos work similarly. The downside of turbos, though, is that most of them are attached to tiny engines that have no torque unless the tubro is engaged, so you have to downshift a gear or two to keep the RMPs up enough to get that boost. This of course is easier with a manual for either type of design, which is why manual transmissions are usually best for high altitude running as well. (snow as well - you can start a manual in 2nd while most automatics need a special snow mode).
    discharges into a lower pressure at high elevation and speeds up, which pumps up the pressure to the intake manifold accordingly. Only downside is that you still need high octane fuel in CO, unlike NA engines which run fine on 85 or 87 octane, even if they need 91 at MSL.

Superchargers run at the same speed, regardless of elevation.
  • A reporter is looking for a recent car buyer whose car's sunroof/moonroof feature was a big factor in their purchase decision. Please send your daytime contact info to smar@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 5, 2012 at 5 p.m. Pacific.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,388
    A reporter is looking for a recent car buyer whose car's sunroof/moonroof feature was a big factor in their purchase decision.

Are they kidding, it was a factor 30 years ago when I bought a Prelude but everything I've had since came with it whether you wanted it or not (ragtops excepted).
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited November 2012
    Porsche went back to making the sunroof an option for the new 911. They offset it by making the navigation system standard, so it didn't look like they were being too cheap. They did it in response to requests from serious track type buyers. It adds a not insignificant amount of weight (75+/- lbs) to the very top of the car, slightly raising the center of gravity as well.

BMW makes the sunroof a no cost option on the M3 for the same reason. Some prefer the carbon fiber roof, stiffer structure and lower weight.

I must confess that I considered the large panorama sunroof to be a positive feature in our X5d, compared to the dinky one in the MDX. But it wasn't a major decision factor and would be even less so in a ELLPS.